PDA

View Full Version : What's the meaning & exact spelling of the word "goomba"?

moggy
04-22-2001, 11:41 AM
I know it's Italian. When I first heard it used it was in a negative way, ie, "He's such a goomba (meaning idiot or whatever)". Then I saw a TV show where one Italian-American said to his co-worker, who was also Italian-American, "HeYYY ! Goomba!" and he used it as a greeting. I have tried looking it up in Italian & slang dictionaries but have never found it. I'm wondering if it's sometimes spelled with a C- I know some Italians pronounce "G" as "C". (My ex-sister-in-law used to pronounce "manicotti" "manigott'".
Grazie! Ciao! (No, I'm not Italian, I just took it for a couple years in college)

samclem
04-22-2001, 11:47 AM
According to JE Lighter, American Slang, it comes from the Italian compare. In American-Italian slang it means a "close or trusted male friend" and was popularized by Rocky Graziano, a boxer, who used to appear on the Martha Raye Show in the early 50's.

He quotes it from the show as early as 1955.

samclem
04-22-2001, 11:49 AM
Oh, yeah! The spelling is "goombah."

Colibri
04-22-2001, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by samclem
According to JE Lighter, American Slang, it comes from the Italian [i]compare[/i

I didn't realize that. I assume that's cognate with the Spanish compadre, literally, the godfather of your child (hence your "co-father"); colloquialy, a close pal. Often shortened, at least around here, to just "Compa'!"

exchicagoan
04-23-2001, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by samclem
According to JE Lighter, American Slang, it comes from the Italian compare. In American-Italian slang it means a "close or trusted male friend"

SAMCLEM? Does your source have anything on STUGATZ and MORRONE too? I know that I use them correctly but I never knew what they ACTUALLY meant.

Would you please check those out too. Please, huh, maybe, huh,huh?

Thx.

OneChance
04-23-2001, 03:54 AM
Goomba is also one of Mario's enemies (from Nintendo's Mario Brothers). Goomba resembles a mushroom, which is why it roams the Mushroom Kingdom.

pulykamell
04-23-2001, 05:38 AM
OneChance-- I've always wondered..."gomba" means "mushroom" in Hungarian. Hmmm...coincidence?

Best Topics: fr?hliche geburtstag song lysa arryn breastfeeding plutonium price velociraptor eye iceland overthrow teen with pacifier modern biplane cvt oil change ships maidenhead nekkid wimmin family guy ymmv solveig pronunciation senator geary rectum jokes mexican tv dinner inheritance advance reviews nihilism reddit klingon home planet 100 peroxide biggest game map last name patel ethernet ab switch shadowrun dragonfall totems stripper phone rpg grenades np solvents squeezebox song bulb reproduction indian yelling mythbusters jessie visible tampon string pet humans many mumbling mice vulcan lifespan how to pronounce gemini old rolling stone magazines is it illegal to drive with dome light on celine dion singing national anthem minoxidil long term side effects oh brother where art thou odyssey connections left mayonnaise out overnight how to get watch back off all told or all tolled what do germans think of ww2 young boys with erections super gluing metal to metal names to call your dom distance between roof trusses kitty is a very bad mystic taken down refrigerator making groaning noise ps3 slim hdmi port highest like to dislike ratio youtube autocrat coffee syrup caffeine content how much dayquil is too much what does eo eleven mean what is incall vs outcall how does mass affect orbital period piece of 8 value food that everyone loves friends with benefits kiss close encounters of the third kind hand signals how much tussin dm to get high holding cigarette between middle and ring finger pin money on birthday soft cup during intercourse reviews will lysol kill mold