PDA

View Full Version : So I've found the most addicting game that exists on the internet. No, seriously.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Idle Thoughts
09-20-2013, 08:39 PM
It's here:
http://orteil.dashnet.org/cookieclicker/

Go on. Try it. Try it for just 10 minutes (at least).

If you're not strangely, yet fully addicted after that time, I'll eat my hat.

Please don't hate me later for revealing this--the most addicting game on the internet, and possibly the world---to you all.

Hal Briston
09-20-2013, 08:42 PM
Don't listen to him! It's a trap! For the love of all that is good in your life, STAY AWAY FROM THE COOKIES!

Ok, back to the game.

Idle Thoughts
09-20-2013, 08:43 PM
Yeah, Hal was one of the unlucky ones to have seen me share it on Facebook first (a few days ago).

I don't think we've done much since.

Skywatcher
09-20-2013, 09:02 PM
I may be doing it wrong but my wrist does not like this game.

RickJay
09-21-2013, 12:15 AM
I'll be damned if I understand the appeal, sorry.

Idle Thoughts
09-21-2013, 12:20 AM

Actually clicking on the cookie is a non-issue after the first 5-10 minutes (or so) of gameplay, because the amount you get even without clicking gets to be a lot.

Although you can always click on it anyway if you want to go for achievements.

Happy Lendervedder
09-21-2013, 01:52 AM
What happens if i close my window? Will all my hard work be lost forever?

Idle Thoughts
09-21-2013, 01:53 AM
It saves every 60 seconds automatically, but you can also save manually at any time on the "MENU" page (top middle).

Happy Lendervedder
09-21-2013, 01:54 AM
So just to clarify, I can close and when I return to the page, it will bring me back to the last save point?

Idle Thoughts
09-21-2013, 01:55 AM
Yes, it should although, I've heard a friend or two who use firefox had their saves wiped due to a cookie (no pun intended) issue.

It also keeps running if you just leave the page up (if anyone is curious), but I understand some don't like to or can't do that.

appleciders
09-21-2013, 02:44 AM
That is pretty addictive.

Happy Lendervedder
09-21-2013, 09:40 AM
It's amazing how greedy it makes you. At first you think 10 cookies a second is freaking awesome. Until you're making 40 cookies a second. Then any method producing less than 40 a second is crap. Until-- holy shit!-- the rockets bring in 100 cookies a second. Then you don't want to waste your time with anything punier.

I'm currently at the Time Machine level, which produce almost 100,000 cookies per second.....and I've gotten to the point where that just doesn't seem fast enough since my goal now is to have 4 billion cookies.

BleizDu
09-21-2013, 10:04 AM
Amazing, I've spent the first few minutes going "man, how boring is that, why do people think it's addictive?
And now six hours later, I'm buying my 8th antimatter condenser.

Idle Thoughts
09-21-2013, 10:43 AM
Yeah, it's pretty scary how quickly it takes hold of you.. I've been playing for about three and a half days now (mostly all day, heh).

They even have a wiki about the game. There is much more to this game than meets the eye, it has a pretty evolving storyline, plus a few events that happen (including one major one that drastically changes the play later on).

levdrakon
09-21-2013, 10:59 AM
Started last night. I'm up to 3 million cookies per second, and own two antimatter condensers. :)

Recusant
09-21-2013, 11:02 AM
This... This qualifies as addictive? Good heavens, I hope you people never find out about Sid Meier...

Idle Thoughts
09-21-2013, 11:26 AM
I think it's mostly because this is a fairly simple game and that it can be left running in the background for the most part (as cookie wealth amasses).

dracoi
09-21-2013, 11:27 AM
It's amazing how greedy it makes you. At first you think 10 cookies a second is freaking awesome. Until you're making 40 cookies a second. Then any method producing less than 40 a second is crap. Until-- holy shit!-- the rockets bring in 100 cookies a second. Then you don't want to waste your time with anything punier.

I'm currently at the Time Machine level, which produce almost 100,000 cookies per second.....and I've gotten to the point where that just doesn't seem fast enough since my goal now is to have 4 billion cookies.

You have to keep recalculating the CPS return on each expenditure. Because at some point, you'll have bought enough time machines to drive up their prices so that suddenly it turns out that another grandma is actually good deal.

And for those of you wearing your wrists out: don't bother. You have to click to unlock certain achievements, but if you're clicking away at 8 cookies per click, you'll feel really stupid later in the game when you can be clicking at 8,000 cookies per click. And then you'll feel stupid again later when you can be clicking at 8,000,000 cookies per click. (And by that time, clicking is such a tiny percentage of your output, the only reason to click is to unlock the achievements.) So my advice is to pace yourself.

Idle Thoughts
09-21-2013, 11:39 AM
....and I've gotten to the point where that just doesn't seem fast enough since my goal now is to have 4 billion cookies.

Yeah, speaking of.

Ahhh, back in my early days in the game when 4 billion seemed like a lot. :p

Mahaloth
09-21-2013, 11:51 AM

Yeah, you only click in the game for....about 5 minutes. Then the computer does the rest.

I am addicted and am progressing towards the vast fortune. I'm only in the single digit millions now, but billions will soon poor upon me.

Idle Thoughts
09-21-2013, 12:02 PM
That feeling you feel the first time you step away for awhile, letting it run, to come back and find a large amount waiting for you.

AaronX
09-21-2013, 12:09 PM
Is it me, or are the upgrades not very good value? I mean for a 10,000 cookie upgrade I might as well buy a couple items that cost 10,000 in total. The upgrades are only worth it if you have, say, 20 grandmas?

appleciders
09-21-2013, 12:22 PM
Yes, upgrades really aren't good value. Wait until they're 10% or less of the cost of buying another of the best thing you've already got, and even then, maybe wait longer.

Idle Thoughts
09-21-2013, 12:24 PM
Yes, the more you have of the items, the better the upgrades work.

Also, the more achievements you have, the more milk you have, and sometimes some upgrades (like kittens) give you big boosts if you have a lot of milk...not to mention what you have to do to get some achievements (like you get one if you buy 50 or 100 of anything), also makes the upgrades help since you usually wind up having 50 or 100 of most things.

Suburban Plankton
09-21-2013, 12:36 PM
You bastard...

AaronX
09-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Just to try, I bought 82 cursors and the million fingers upgrade (+0.5 cps for each non-cursor object, 50,000,000 cookies) and it only increased by cps by a few 1000, I think.

Idle Thoughts
09-21-2013, 12:58 PM
You bastard...

How long you been playing now? ;)

Idle Thoughts
09-21-2013, 12:59 PM
Just to try, I bought 82 cursors and the million fingers upgrade (+0.5 cps for each non-cursor object, 50,000,000 cookies) and it only increased by cps by a few 1000, I think.

The early ones don't make too much of a huge change (since you're still in the beginning stages)..but later on they start to do some heavy cookie making with each one.

drewtwo99
09-21-2013, 01:26 PM
Very fun. Perhaps not the most addictive online game I've ever played, but definitely lots of fun. I'm up to several antimatter condensers now. I am thinking about quitting but I guess I'll just let it run in the background because... why not?

Hal Briston
09-21-2013, 01:28 PM
Ahhh, back in my early days in the game when 4 billion seemed like a lot. :pNod. Now it takes longer to type "four billion cookies" than it does to make four billion cookies. :)

Telperion
09-21-2013, 01:33 PM
Good thing I didn't have anything I needed to do today. Some of the news items are pretty funny, I got one that said "Cookie manufacturer forgoes common sense, lets OCD drive building decisions." I think that's from building in decreasing multiples of 10, which you also get an achievement for.

Idle Thoughts
09-21-2013, 01:48 PM
Very fun. Perhaps not the most addictive online game I've ever played, but definitely lots of fun. I'm up to several antimatter condensers now. I am thinking about quitting but I guess I'll just let it run in the background because... why not?

There's a lot more to the game than meets the eye. There's a pretty huge event that happens later on (that changes the course of the game some)...and don't even get me started on explaining "Heavenly Cookies" to you (which you get if you "soft" reset your game and that helps makes your rise to power again go twice as fast in only half the amount of time (depending on how many HCs you have))

But that's still far away and the "Advanced Cookie-ing" for ya. You're still in the low stages. :p Yes, even with a few Anti-Matter Condensers I'd say. ;)

Also, anyone find out about the "Golden Cookies" yet?

BleizDu
09-21-2013, 02:06 PM
Also, anyone find out about the "Golden Cookies" yet?

77sec spent clicking "in a frenzy" have never seem so long :o

I still don't know if it's worth it to keep clicking when you get one of those though.
I currently get 13millions cookies per click with the golden cookie effect, but since I'm also during that time getting 450 millions cps...
I just know I'm bad at math.

Skywatcher
09-21-2013, 02:12 PM

Actually clicking on the cookie is a non-issue after the first 5-10 minutes (or so) of gameplay, because the amount you get even without clicking gets to be a lot.

Although you can always click on it anyway if you want to go for achievements.

And for those of you wearing your wrists out: don't bother. You have to click to unlock certain achievements, but if you're clicking away at 8 cookies per click, you'll feel really stupid later in the game when you can be clicking at 8,000 cookies per click. And then you'll feel stupid again later when you can be clicking at 8,000,000 cookies per click. (And by that time, clicking is such a tiny percentage of your output, the only reason to click is to unlock the achievements.) So my advice is to pace yourself.

Yeah, you only click in the game for....about 5 minutes. Then the computer does the rest.It's not just clicking. I have carpal tunnel.

Colophon
09-21-2013, 02:33 PM
Double-clicking fast on a trackpad tends to move the cursor off the cookie, but I have developed a nifty clicking technique on this laptop.

Hover a finger over the trackpad, and then with the other hand, drum two fingers as fast as you can on top of that finger, making it "bounce" rapidly on the trackpad. Ten clicks per second easily. :D

Idle Thoughts
09-21-2013, 02:33 PM
77sec spent clicking "in a frenzy" have never seem so long :o

I still don't know if it's worth it to keep clicking when you get one of those though.
I currently get 13millions cookies per click with the golden cookie effect, but since I'm also during that time getting 450 millions cps...
I just know I'm bad at math.

I sometimes do... the one you want to definitely click for is when you get the (very rare) 777x frenzy (that lasts for 13 seconds).

Chronos
09-21-2013, 03:16 PM
At first I thought it was just the clicking, and thought the store was just a scoreboard. I was thinking it was pretty lame, and you'd have to be awfully bored to be addicted to it.

Now, I'm trying to see if I can skip over a producer. My alchemy labs already cost double what a portal would, but I'm seeing if anything interesting happens if I just go straight to time machine (I'll probably be able to afford one this evening, after I get home).

sitchensis
09-21-2013, 03:29 PM
I have a rule that 1000 cookies should buy me 1 cps, anything worse is a bad investment. Anyone else have rules or strategies?

drewtwo99
09-21-2013, 03:51 PM
I created a spreadsheet that calculates the "Dollars/CPS" cost for each new instance I buy of a particular producer. Right now, in order of best investment to worst investment, my list looks like this:

Antimatter Condenser
Cursor
Portal
Time Machine
Alchemy Lab
Shipment
Grandma
Mine
Factory
Farm

The last 3 (mine, factory, farm) are essentially worthless and I will never buy another one. I bought up to 100 to get the achievements for them, and then never again.

More than meets the eye huh? Hmm ok. I'll keep going.

appleciders
09-21-2013, 04:39 PM
I have a rule that 1000 cookies should buy me 1 cps, anything worse is a bad investment. Anyone else have rules or strategies?

It's just all about the your Cps to cost, for every decision you make. I'm finding that this is fantastic for my mental arithmetic, as I've got to estimate the value of everything to make the best investment. I've been trying to work out a good ratio to hold for the different producers, but nothing seems very efficient. It seems like farms, factories, and mines are terrible investments, though grandmas and cursors can be good investments after buying some upgrades for them.

Czarcasm
09-21-2013, 04:47 PM
I'll be damned if I understand the appeal, sorry.
Actually, you'll be damned if you do understand the appeal.

drewtwo99
09-21-2013, 04:58 PM
It's just all about the your Cps to cost, for every decision you make. I'm finding that this is fantastic for my mental arithmetic, as I've got to estimate the value of everything to make the best investment. I've been trying to work out a good ratio to hold for the different producers, but nothing seems very efficient. It seems like farms, factories, and mines are terrible investments, though grandmas and cursors can be good investments after buying some upgrades for them.

According to my spreadsheet, you are correct. Those 3 are the absolute worst investments imaginable (especially the farms wow are they mindbogglingly bad investments). But you do get achievements for getting 100 of each of them, so do that at the very least I say when you have the cookies to spare.

Shipments are not much better, tbh. And you are correct. Cursors and Grandmas are great investments if you have upgraded them a lot.

drewtwo99
09-21-2013, 05:18 PM
Uh oh!
I think I may have made it to the game changing event that Idle Thoughts was hinting about.

Was it the One Mind upgrade? It warned me it would all be downhill from there if I did it, and now the news is giving me lots of scary warnings about old ladies! I exported a save just before doing this. Should I go back and undo it it?

Idle Thoughts
09-21-2013, 05:35 PM
Uh oh!
I think I may have made it to the game changing event that Idle Thoughts was hinting about.

Was it the One Mind upgrade? It warned me it would all be downhill from there if I did it, and now the news is giving me lots of scary warnings about old ladies! I exported a save just before doing this. Should I go back and undo it it?

Yeah, that's the start of some big changes, although nothing game ending. One major change with it is you'll start to get a new cookie, a red one.

The red cookie does everything a golden cookie does, only it has the chance to do THREE of its own things as well (One very, very good (although rare) thing....and two actually pretty bad things). So you take your own risk when clicking it.

Right now you'll get red cookies every so often and golden cookies mostly, but with each upgrade from here on, well.....red cookies will show up more and more and golden cookies will eventually never show up.

Don't want to spoil anything else for you, but let's just say not all hope is lost, though. ;) Keep playing.

Up to you if you want to go back and wait on buying "One Mind" (I did) until you're a bit more powerful with your cookies, but some upgrades (more powerful ones) can ONLY be gotten after buying the "One Mind" one.

Lanzy
09-21-2013, 05:45 PM
Eat your hat. now

Really, non addicting and pointless.

Loach
09-21-2013, 06:14 PM
The save system is really annoying. I just lost everything and back down to zero.
I don't know if I'll come back to it.

Gagundathar
09-21-2013, 06:18 PM
Dear Idle Thoughts,

I am presently playing your addicting game.
In doing so I am ignoring my guests except for my best friend who has pulled out his laptop and is now playing the game.
Food is still relatively interesting but conversation is a waste of time that I could be spending managing my cookie kingdom. I may consider ending this game when I get to the point where I am asking my fiancee to run out to the supermarket for a package of Depends, but not if I haven't purchased an Antimatter Condenser first.

I would like to ask for your home address so that I may employ a band of ninjas to come to your house and chastise you harshly.

Sincerely,
Gagundathar the Inexplicable

Idle Thoughts
09-21-2013, 06:20 PM
The save system is really annoying. I just lost everything and back down to zero.
I don't know if I'll come back to it.

Damn, that sucks. :/ What browser are you using? I've heard some people lose their saves in Firefox, but IE, Opera, and Chrome seem to be fine.

Idle Thoughts
09-21-2013, 06:21 PM
Dear Idle Thoughts,

I am presently playing your addicting game.
In doing so I am ignoring my guests except for my best friend who has pulled out his laptop and is now playing the game.
Food is still relatively interesting but conversation is a waste of time that I could be spending managing my cookie kingdom. I may consider ending this game when I get to the point where I am asking my fiancee to run out to the supermarket for a package of Depends, but not if I haven't purchased an Antimatter Condenser first.

I would like to ask for your home address so that I may employ a band of ninjas to come to your house and chastise you harshly.

Sincerely,
Gagundathar the Inexplicable

Hey, now...I warned ya. Even Hal put that warning in the second post.
So hand me a package of Depends that you have and...

...I've been away from the game too long. Forget the rest of the post. :eek:

Jragon
09-21-2013, 06:27 PM
I seriously have no idea how you guys mix/max this game. My OCD won't allow me to do anything but buy the currently cheapest item. I know it's wrong, but it's all I can do.

Loach
09-21-2013, 06:38 PM
Damn, that sucks. :/ What browser are you using? I've heard some people lose their saves in Firefox, but IE, Opera, and Chrome seem to be fine.

Chrome.

Do you have to export the save and keep that stupid jumble of letters everytime you close the browser?

Idle Thoughts
09-21-2013, 06:41 PM
As far as I know, no..it should just start back up again where you left off when you go back to the game page.

drewtwo99
09-21-2013, 06:42 PM
I seriously have no idea how you guys mix/max this game. My OCD won't allow me to do anything but buy the currently cheapest item. I know it's wrong, but it's all I can do.

That's going to result in you wasting huge boatloads of money, especially in regards to Farms, Factories, Mines and even Shipments.

My advice? Pretend those 4 don't even exist (except for purposes of getting 100 of each for the achievement). Don't waste your money on getting any of those past 100!!!

I mean, theoretically there will be a point where the best investment would be to buy another Farm for me... but that's so ridiculously far away I think I'd have to own 100,000 of everything else before that point.

Loach
09-21-2013, 06:56 PM
IE seems to be working a lot better for some reason.

applebetty
09-21-2013, 07:36 PM
Oh, thank you for this. I was getting bored with Fishdom (http://myrealgames.com/download-free-games/fishdom/), it was getting tedious earning fish and ornaments for the aquariums I created.

:D

PacifistPorcupine
09-21-2013, 07:41 PM
Damn game has been running for 7 hours on my browser. Thank you very much Idle Thoughts...

levdrakon
09-21-2013, 07:43 PM
Faster. Must go faster! More, more, more!

You with your spreadsheets... game goes too fast. I just *feel* what's right to buy next... :D

Click those golden cookies - click!

PacifistPorcupine
09-21-2013, 07:49 PM
There's a few things to buy that I realize are stupid because they won't pay back for a long time (if ever) but fuck it, I need those achievements.

appleciders
09-21-2013, 08:10 PM
It's fine to buy for achievements-- achievements give you milk, which is a multiplier. But right now, I've got 100 grandmas, who produce 327k Cps, while my 100 farms give 2k Cps. Just pay attention to your return on investment.

levdrakon
09-21-2013, 08:22 PM
It's fine to buy for achievements-- achievements give you milk, which is a multiplier. But right now, I've got 100 grandmas, who produce 327k Cps, while my 100 farms give 2k Cps. Just pay attention to your return on investment.Yeah, grandmas are good.

Idle Thoughts
09-21-2013, 08:26 PM
Heh, heh, heh.

Yeah, grandmas are good.

You'll learn, people, you'll learn. ;)

dracoi
09-21-2013, 08:39 PM
I created a spreadsheet that calculates the "Dollars/CPS" cost for each new instance I buy of a particular producer. Right now, in order of best investment to worst investment, my list looks like this:

Antimatter Condenser
Cursor
Portal
Time Machine
Alchemy Lab
Shipment
Grandma
Mine
Factory
Farm

The last 3 (mine, factory, farm) are essentially worthless and I will never buy another one. I bought up to 100 to get the achievements for them, and then never again.

More than meets the eye huh? Hmm ok. I'll keep going.

There's a JavaScript that you can find to do the calculations for you, taking into account your various bonuses. Check the game forums. This will be a lot better than a spreadsheet in the long run.

Mines, factories and farms are pretty worthless, so you're not missing much.

drewtwo99
09-21-2013, 09:20 PM
There's a JavaScript that you can find to do the calculations for you, taking into account your various bonuses. Check the game forums. This will be a lot better than a spreadsheet in the long run.

Mines, factories and farms are pretty worthless, so you're not missing much.

I'm at the point now where my buildings really don't matter so much anymore. It's all about the golden cookies. But if (really when I suppose) I click that reset button and start over again, I'll look around for that script. Not sure what you mean by check the game forums though. Got a direct link?

Jragon
09-21-2013, 09:30 PM
I'm at the point now where my buildings really don't matter so much anymore. It's all about the golden cookies. But if (really when I suppose) I click that reset button and start over again, I'll look around for that script. Not sure what you mean by check the game forums though. Got a direct link?

The script is called Cookie Monster. It also has a timer until the next Golden Cookie appears.

drewtwo99
09-21-2013, 10:17 PM
The script is called Cookie Monster. It also has a timer until the next Golden Cookie appears.

Woohoo! Makes grabbing the golden cookies trivial.

I'm already cheating by using an autoclicker anyway.

Hey! Don't judge! I've got other games to play... but can't stop playing this until... I get... umm. a quintillion cookies?

Idle Thoughts
09-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Funny how you get an achievement for cheating, eh? Like he expected people would do it.

I haven't gotten it yet, I want to try to see how many "real" cookies I can get. :p

levdrakon
09-21-2013, 10:38 PM
I'm not that opposed to cheating, but I want to see what I can get on my own. Leaving the game running in a separate tab is cheatey enough for me right now.

drewtwo99
09-21-2013, 10:38 PM
Funny how you get an achievement for cheating, eh? Like he expected people would do it.

I haven't gotten it yet, I want to try to see how many "real" cookies I can get. :p

Yeah I haven't gotten that achievement yet either because by "cheating" he means using the built-in cheating functions, I think. Auto-clickers and the Cookie Monster script don't get caught as cheating... even though they really are

IvoryTowerDenizen
09-21-2013, 10:52 PM
Amazing, I've spent the first few minutes going "man, how boring is that, why do people think it's addictive?
And now six hours later, I'm buying my 8th antimatter condenser.

I swear to god, you people are just making shit up now to get me to click on the link.

:D

Jragon
09-21-2013, 11:04 PM
This game really is just a slightly more interactive version of Progress Quest (http://progressquest.com/). There's not much "game" there, it's just watching numbers go up and clicking every once in a while. It's not even hard, you can't really lose. It's just a function of how long it takes to reach your arbitrary goal.

Which isn't to say I don't like it, but it ultimately is just a silly time waster where the point is to unlock all the funny news comments and convince yourself that you really need that anti-matter condenser.

Happy Lendervedder
09-22-2013, 12:01 AM
It's like a bad relationship. After a while, you just stick around to see what happens next. You may not love the person anymore, you may want to go see other people, but you've stuck around for so long and have so much invested, it's too hard to just walk away.

Amblydoper
09-22-2013, 12:32 AM
This game really is just a slightly more interactive version of Progress Quest (http://progressquest.com/). There's not much "game" there, it's just watching numbers go up and clicking every once in a while. It's not even hard, you can't really lose. It's just a function of how long it takes to reach your arbitrary goal.

Someone posted a link to Progress Quest in a discussion about an iPad game I liked, arguing that there was no real "game" to be played. It was really just a grindy time waster in which you clicked/tapped buttons to make numbers go up. Not to say that you are saying this, but he made the comment to say that this game was worthless. His comment bugged me and I thought about it for a few days. I decided that I LIKE games where the point is progression, assuming that the process is at least entertaining, and there is something worth progressing for. The end of the game is not the entertainment, the game itself is.

The iPad game (Mini Warriors, if you care) became tedious and my progress slowed to a halt, so I gave up. That game was no longer fun, but it wasn't for the complaints comparing it to "Progress Quest." The game's makers missed an opportunity to make it really fun, but progress slowed exponentially. If the game is about grinding and progressing, it won't be fun if you take away that progress and only leave the grind.

Another "grindy" game I like is Minecraft. I like starting a new world and setting up farms, brewing stations, animal pens, storage rooms, etc. I get bored with it once I get to the point where I could do anything I wanted. Once that full-sandbox-mode is available, I lose interest. Most people seem to play just to get to that sandbox, where the real fun begins for them. At that point, I don't feel there is any fun left.

So, all this is to say, that I like Cookie Clicker. I want to unlock all the things, and I want to do it as efficiently as possible. I like comparing my click rate to my overall cps. I like comparing costs and CPS rates to determine the ideal build order. I like comparing the effectiveness of each upgrade to everything else. And its all because I want to see my cookies pile up to unimaginably high numbers. Do you remember Jack Sparrow's last line in Pirates of the Caribbean, as he sailed off with the freedom of the Black Pearl and the entire ocean as his playground? "Bring me that Horizon." That's how I feel about video games. Bring me that Heavenly Cookie.

Jragon
09-22-2013, 12:44 AM
Like I said, I like the game. It's just not very deep, and is ultimately a grindy timewaster with no real failure condition, no real setback condition, and no real goal. Reaching your goal is more or less inevitable if it's within the confines of the game.

This isn't a bad thing. I've been playing the damn thing for 7 hours! I like it, I'm just saying that it's more like a guided tour of funny upgrade and achievement names than it really is a "game". And that's cool. It's still fun.

Amblydoper
09-22-2013, 12:58 AM
Also, I crashed the part of OSX that controls clicking. Everything else worked just fine, but I couldn't click. :(

Colophon
09-22-2013, 04:12 AM
My wife switched off the laptop last night and lost about two hours' worth of progress after I bought two antimatter condensers :(

Luckily I had exported a game save so only lost those two hours.

Now I find that it works in Safari on my phone. Possibly the best way to deplete your battery ever :)

Chronos
09-22-2013, 07:55 AM
What I find amusing is that at around the million CPS mark, after your cookies have attained sentience and are starting to re-write the laws of physics, the most frequent update is "The local news does a ten-minute segment on your cookies. Win!".

AaronX
09-22-2013, 08:36 AM
It's quite nice that you can export saves just using a text string. I guess you could just grab someone's save and start at a high level.

I wonder what's the max number of cookies? In computers, every number is stored with a finite precision.

Mahaloth
09-22-2013, 09:16 AM
I'm not really sure what to do once buying the antimatter condenser becomes frequent. I have 6 right now, mostly due to buying upgrades instead of more of them.

I'm making (only) 12 million cookies per second, but it seems like a long haul to get it up in the billions per second at this point.

Any suggestions? I can buy most of the tools instantly, with only a few minutes wait for condensers.

HMS Irruncible
09-22-2013, 10:04 AM
A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

levdrakon
09-22-2013, 10:23 AM
I'm not really sure what to do once buying the antimatter condenser becomes frequent. I have 6 right now, mostly due to buying upgrades instead of more of them.

I'm making (only) 12 million cookies per second, but it seems like a long haul to get it up in the billions per second at this point.

Any suggestions? I can buy most of the tools instantly, with only a few minutes wait for condensers.I'm currently at 261 million cps, and the top three buildings as well as cursors are expensive enough now it's takes awhile to buy even one. The upgrades cost me a trillion per now. Don't worry, you can spend your cookies. :)

Mince
09-22-2013, 10:25 AM
Avoid this lame exercise in banality and tedium and extend the life of your mouse by several orders of magnitude. Sorry OP, this is no mark against you.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

Greetings Professor Irruncible.

PacifistPorcupine
09-22-2013, 10:30 AM
So I bought that upgrade that make grandmas upset and now I have a Grandmatriarchs status... do I need to worry about it? How do I keep my grandmas happy?

levdrakon
09-22-2013, 11:21 AM
So I bought that upgrade that make grandmas upset and now I have a Grandmatriarchs status... do I need to worry about it? How do I keep my grandmas happy?I just now saw the latest research upgrade that warned me it might have unpleasant results on my grandmas. If I don't buy it, I'm not sure I'll get anymore research upgrades until I do. Anyone know what happens?

PacifistPorcupine
09-22-2013, 11:30 AM
Well so far no ill effects from it, and now I have another research with the same warning. But no further grandma research if you don't get it, so what the hell, i have a backup save.

ETA: And now my grandma status has gone from awoken to displeased.

Further edit: And the next golden cookie I clicked took away some cookies. Hmmmm...

levdrakon
09-22-2013, 11:51 AM
Oh, okay. I clicked a bad cookie, and my output is halved for 60 seconds or so.

Mince
09-22-2013, 12:21 PM
Is there a Call of Duty mod for this game?

Amblydoper
09-22-2013, 02:26 PM
Levdrakon, don't fear the Red Cookies. They don't always do bad things, they are more of a gamble. They have really paid off for me.

levdrakon
09-22-2013, 02:39 PM
Levdrakon, don't fear the Red Cookies. They don't always do bad things, they are more of a gamble. They have really paid off for me.
Okay, thanks. I've clicked two so far, and both were bad things, but not really that bad. I'll go ahead and click them and see what happens.

I clicked a regular golden cookie and instead of the usual x7, it gave me something like x7777 for 13 seconds. Sweet!

drewtwo99
09-22-2013, 02:39 PM
The red cookies have some slightly better odds for some super rare, super GOOD stuff. That being said I still prefer the golden cookies.

I'm up to 67 antimatter condensers now.

At this point of the game, over 90% of my cookie production comes from golden cookies. For example, after getting a Frenzy, I got a clicking Frenzy which took me from like 100T to over 770T in a few seconds. Amazing.

The cookies I get from clicking and from CPS is trivial compared to the stuff I get when I get a Lucky during a Frenzy, or even better a Clicking Frenzy during a Frenzy.

sitchensis
09-22-2013, 02:42 PM
I’m kind at a sticking point. I make around 220 million cps but the cheapest upgrades I’m looking at cost upwards of 5 to 99 trillion. Am I really looking at hours or days to save up for upgrades? Have I focused too much on upgrades at the expense of buildings? I have 150 cursors and 24 condensers with everything else in between.

drewtwo99
09-22-2013, 02:48 PM
Iím kind at a sticking point. I make around 220 million cps but the cheapest upgrades Iím looking at cost upwards of 5 to 99 trillion. Am I really looking at hours or days to save up for upgrades? Have I focused too much on upgrades at the expense of buildings? I have 150 cursors and 24 condensers with everything else in between.

Seems like you're reaching the "golden cookie" stage part of the game. You need to focus on clicking as many golden cookies as possible, so you can unlock the golden cookie related upgrades. Those will be your ticket to the vast majority of your cookies from now on.

Once you've clicked 77 golden cookies, you will unlock an extremely valuable upgrade relating to golden cookies that will allow you to occasionally make hundreds of trillions of cookies in seconds.

sitchensis
09-22-2013, 03:09 PM
Thanks, it’s nice to have something to look forward to.

levdrakon
09-22-2013, 03:30 PM
Sorry to ramble, but...

I clicked a clot, and it gave me +6666 cookies, then another appeared, I clicked it and it gave me +6666 cookies, and one more time after that.

I haven't noticed anything different, except those three red cookies in a row.

So that was it? At this point in the game, +6666 cookies is actually worse than a poke in the eye. Well, almost. :)

Inner Stickler
09-22-2013, 03:56 PM
It's a cookie chain.

Mince
09-22-2013, 04:02 PM
3 issues:

How do you attain Golden Cookies?

How do you attain more milk?

Is there any way to shut off the flow of background cookies (lag issue)?

SCAdian
09-22-2013, 04:08 PM
Okay. I clicked on it 1000 times, and it still says producing 0 cookies per second, total 0 cookies clicked. Yawn.

Would you like some garlic salt or tzatziki to go with that hat?

drewtwo99
09-22-2013, 04:12 PM
levdrakon, you got a cookie chain. Those can be very good but there is a 10% chance after the first 5 cookies to stop the chain. If it chooses to keep going, it can get up into the trillions with each new cookie! Very awesome stuff. I got one that went to 6.666666 Trillion once.

Mince

Golden cookies appear randomly every 5-10 minutes or so. After you click enough of them, some Lucky Cookie upgrades become available which will make them appear way more often (more like every 1.5-3 minutes)

Milk is attained by winning "achievements." There are 88 achievements to get, and I think you get 3% milk for every achievement. Right now I am at 89% completion on my achievements and have 312% milk.

In the Menu options you can turn off all the fancy graphics (I did just this thing).

appleciders
09-22-2013, 04:13 PM
3 issues:

How do you attain Golden Cookies?

You click on them. They'll appear randomly on the screen.

How do you attain more milk?

Get achievements. Click on "Stats" to see your achievements.

Is there any way to shut off the flow of background cookies (lag issue)?

You can turn the graphics down in the menu.

Chronos
09-22-2013, 04:22 PM
Okay. I clicked on it 1000 times, and it still says producing 0 cookies per second, total 0 cookies clicked. Yawn.
That's because you haven't bought any of the things that produce cookies per second, and instead are just relying on the really slow clicks. "0 cookies clicked" means that you haven't produced any cookies via bought cursors.

Mince
09-22-2013, 05:04 PM
You click on them. They'll appear randomly on the screen.

Get achievements. Click on "Stats" to see your achievements.

You can turn the graphics down in the menu.

Thank you x3. You too drew.

Jragon
09-22-2013, 05:27 PM
I'm at 1.397 billion per second, and at the point I'm at the only really sane move is to click every golden cookie. Even at that rate, my only good ROIs take about 15-20 minutes to get to. Unless you get a good golden cookie. I've shaved at least 2.5 hours off of long timers by being sure to get every cookie. Using cookie monster to display how long until the next cookie of course. I'm not crazy/bored enough to sit there watching it.

dracoi
09-22-2013, 05:31 PM
Sorry to ramble, but...

I clicked a clot, and it gave me +6666 cookies, then another appeared, I clicked it and it gave me +6666 cookies, and one more time after that.

I haven't noticed anything different, except those three red cookies in a row.

So that was it? At this point in the game, +6666 cookies is actually worse than a poke in the eye. Well, almost. :)

Well, cookie chains are always nice because you need a total of 777 Golden cookies to unlock one of the achievements. Since a chain could get you a dozen Golden cookies in the space you'd normally get only one, they're pretty nice even if you don't need the cookies.

Tapioca Dextrin
09-22-2013, 05:32 PM
I'm going to see how far I can get with just fifteen mouse clicks. Might take a while!

Jragon
09-22-2013, 05:34 PM
I'm going to see how far I can get with just fifteen mouse clicks. Might take a while!

There's a hidden achievement for that.

There's also an achievement for never clicking the big cookie (you have to use Golden Cookies to do it).

dracoi
I'm at 1.397 billion per second, and at the point I'm at the only really sane move is to click every golden cookie. Even at that rate, my only good ROIs take about 15-20 minutes to get to. Unless you get a good golden cookie. I've shaved at least 2.5 hours off of long timers by being sure to get every cookie. Using cookie monster to display how long until the next cookie of course. I'm not crazy/bored enough to sit there watching it.

Here, have some bookkeeping and tax returns. I can get paid for doing some real work, but watching for those Golden cookies out of the corner of my eye becomes a real highlight of the afternoon. :)

Idle Thoughts
There is a funny achievement that you can get if..

..you zoom the view in so that your cookie is big enough to touch the milk under it.

Eventually there will come a time (I reached it after playing for 3 days) that you wont be able to do much of anything for a long time and the next upgrades cost way too much.
One day I got up and had about 120 trillion cookies (after going to bed with only 2 trillion), but I could only buy one new thing.
It's was often suggested (that I had read) that at that point...

..you should do a soft reset. Why am I putting this in spoilers? Because...

..what that does is [warning, a lot of new and major info is in the box below, click only if you want to learn about every last aspect of the game]...

..start a whole new aspect to the game. See, once you reset, aside from being able to get a possible 3 new achievements (depending on how many all time cookies you baked your first go round), you also get a new thing called "Prestige". Prestige is a collection of new cookies you have on your stats page called "Heavenly Chips". Each HC gives you 2% CPS of your total (from the start), making a "starting over from scratch" allowing you to make more cookies and much faster (in half the time that you did before).
The number of HC you will get after a soft reset depends on how many cookies you made all time in your last game. You get 1 HC for 1 trillion cookies. 2 HCs for 3 trillion cookies. 3 HCs for 6 million cookies....etc.
Here is a full list of how it works out mathematically (you math buffs will love it): http://cookieclicker.wikia.com/wiki/Heavenly_Chips

Consequently, there is the link to the wiki for those who don't already know about it. It gives a great deal of info about the game

Anyway, the more cookies you made all round depends on how many HCs you get. You can keep getting HCs each time you soft reset (they are stackable) and there's no limit to how many you can have.
I've heard and read stories of people soft resetting, getting about 100 HCs, and then getting back up to where they were in CPS in about one day, compared to when they played 5 days before.

I was able to get about 68 HCs when I reset and there is a definite change in speed that I noticed. I'm already close to where I was before after only playing half a day (despite having played 4 days my first time).

Oh, and this site (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23%E3%82%AF%E3%83%83%E3%82%AD%E3%83%BC%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AA%E3%83%83%E3%82%AB%E3%83%BC&src=hash&mode=photos) makes me laugh but makes me impressed half the time too. Apparently this game is huge in Japan and everyone is going nuts over it. That page has a lot of cool photos, drawings, and even stuff you can buy that are game oriented.

DKW
09-22-2013, 05:41 PM
Played it for a couple minutes. Reminds me of some of the "idle" games on Kongregate, all of which I found too tedious.

This one looks simple enough. I'll spare more time for it when I can.

Jragon
09-22-2013, 05:43 PM
I'm at this really weird point of the game where one of my upgrades would take over an hour to get to if I were on frenzy 100% of the time, and 7 hours if I just let it sit. But it's so far and away the best ROI anything else is almost not even worth considering. We're talking 30k cost/income vs my next lowest being 160k cost/income. It's a very interesting conundrum.

levdrakon
09-22-2013, 05:44 PM
Okay. I clicked on it 1000 times, and it still says producing 0 cookies per second, total 0 cookies clicked. Yawn.What Chronos said. You really shouldn't have to click to make cookies, except when you click on a golden cookie and it says "x7 for 60 seconds." That's when you frenzy click the big cookie. Luckily, all my Facebook clicky game experience has conditioned my index and middle finger so I can frenzy click for the whole 60 seconds, switching fingers if one gets fatigued. :)

Jragon
09-22-2013, 06:12 PM
I wonder what's the max number of cookies? In computers, every number is stored with a finite precision.

I believe it uses a 64-bit unsigned integer, which means the max would be

(18.447 Quintillion)

It's also possible that the developer used a BigInt package, due to how little math is being done. In which case the max value is effectively unlimited.

One could probably cheat to find out pretty easily.

SCAdian
09-22-2013, 06:24 PM
That's because you haven't bought any of the things that produce cookies per second, and instead are just relying on the really slow clicks. "0 cookies clicked" means that you haven't produced any cookies via bought cursors.

Didn't see anything about buying stuff - either why or how.

Jragon
09-22-2013, 06:35 PM
Didn't see anything about buying stuff - either why or how.

On the right side of the screen.

keving
09-22-2013, 07:24 PM
It seems like the gaming equivalent of popping bubble-wrap (I realise that there are actual bubble-wrap-popping games out there). It basically plays itself, except that from time to time you are required to make decisions which are either trivially easy or utterly inconsequential (sometimes both).
I mean, sure the numbers go up and up faster and faster, but if that is exciting to you may I suggest that you investigate the phenomenon of exponential growth? It's much more interesting than this.

That said, my current rate is 1.266 billion cookies per second, and I've been playing for 1 day 13 hours.

Jragon
09-22-2013, 07:36 PM
That said, my current rate is 1.266 billion cookies per second, and I've been playing for 1 day 13 hours.

1 day 2 hours and I'm at 3.027 billion per second :p (Golden cookies are God)

drewtwo99
09-22-2013, 07:41 PM
I just finished getting every easily achievable achievement (everything except the 777 golden cookies, and the ones that required 100 antimatter things). I also got every single upgrade. I was effectively done, so I reset.

I got like 95 heavenly chips. I'm already back up to 38M cookies per second, in less than an hour of play.

This is phenomenal :D

I finished getting every upgrade in less than 2 days of play (but I did use an autoclicker to speed things up).

Idle Thoughts
09-22-2013, 07:44 PM
I just finished getting every easily achievable achievement (everything except the 777 golden cookies, and the ones that required 100 antimatter things). I also got every single upgrade. I was effectively done, so I reset.

I got like 95 heavenly chips. I'm already back up to 38M cookies per second, in less than an hour of play.

This is phenomenal :D

I finished getting every upgrade in less than 2 days of play (but I did use an autoclicker to speed things up).

I think it's safe to say that, at this point, you're an official, without-a-doubt convert.

(so, like me, you'll probably be playing off and on, in spurts and whenever he adds new things/events to the game, forever now :p )

levdrakon
09-22-2013, 07:46 PM
It seems like the gaming equivalent of popping bubble-wrap <snip>That's about the best and most succinct description of these types of games I've yet read. :) These things are wildly popular.

drewtwo99
09-22-2013, 07:53 PM
I think it's safe to say that, at this point, you're an official, without-a-doubt convert.

(so, like me, you'll probably be playing off and on, in spurts and whenever he adds new things/events to the game, forever now :p )

Yeah. I'm gonna play through and get the rest of the achievements. I'm hoping with heavenly chips that getting to 100 antimatter condensers will actually be feasible!

The most I ever had banked at one moment was about 1.2 Quadrillion cookies.

Jragon
09-22-2013, 08:13 PM
I can't get any golden cookie autoclickers to work for some reason. Oh well.

Idle Thoughts
09-22-2013, 08:15 PM
Yeah, I never used autoclickers either, it definitely sped up drew's process. I was never even close to having 1 quadrillion in the bank.
Most I ever had was 450 trillion banked (at one time) and I've been playing for 3 days. Constantly running it.

drewtwo99
09-22-2013, 08:40 PM
I didn't use a golden cookie auto clicker! Just an auto clicker for clicking the main cookie. It helps more in the beginning than toward the end, but even in the end it helps.

Jragon
09-22-2013, 08:43 PM
I actually have a GC autoclicker and a big cookie autoclicker running now. Now I can go play Kingdom Hearts while building up my cookies.

Yes, I just completely defeated the point of the game. No, I don't care :p.

Idle Thoughts
09-22-2013, 08:55 PM
Well, the dev of the game encourages cheating since one of the achievements you can only get is by cheating; "Cheated Cookies Taste Awful", gotten by hacking in cookies. :p

HMS Irruncible
09-22-2013, 09:12 PM
I found the Cookie Monster (http://cookieclicker.wikia.com/wiki/Cookie_Monster_(JavaScript_Add-on)) plugin to be a sporting and very informative enhancement. It was very eye-opening to see how the relative ROI changes with every transaction. Even with dozens of antimatter condensers on the board, sometimes upgrading your cursors is the most cost effective move. And as time drags on, the ROI of every structure and upgrade eventually becomes not worth it, you're just playing for the special bonuses at some point.

Chronos
09-22-2013, 10:10 PM
So, I see that there's a fair bit of discussion online about the best way to mitigate the Grandmapocalypse... But as I understand it, the only consequence of the Grandmapocalypse is that you get red cookies instead of gold ones, and even accounting for their chance of negative effects, the red cookies have a higher expected value than the gold ones. So why wouldn't one want to just let the Grandmapocalypse continue?

Jragon
09-22-2013, 10:17 PM
So, I see that there's a fair bit of discussion online about the best way to mitigate the Grandmapocalypse... But as I understand it, the only consequence of the Grandmapocalypse is that you get red cookies instead of gold ones, and even accounting for their chance of negative effects, the red cookies have a higher expected value than the gold ones. So why wouldn't one want to just let the Grandmapocalypse continue?

Yeah, between red and gold, red have the Maximum Expected Utility. I think most people just think that any chance to have something bad happen = worse.

Currently I have a script that autobuys the research that appeases the grandmatriarchs, but that's only until I get 5 for the achievements. Then it's red cookies all the way.

levdrakon
09-22-2013, 10:31 PM
Okay, I earned an achievement for appeasing the grandmatriarchs by buying an "appeasing" upgrade. Then I got another for appeasing them 5 times. Anyone happen to know how many achievements there are for that?

And I always get lousy red cookies.

Jragon
09-22-2013, 10:43 PM
Okay, I earned an achievement for appeasing the grandmatriarchs by buying an "appeasing" upgrade. Then I got another for appeasing them 5 times. Anyone happen to know how many achievements there are for that?

And I always get lousy red cookies.

There's only the one for 1 and 5. After that the only grandmatriarch achievement is for buying the Elder Covenant which I think makes them go away forever.

levdrakon
09-22-2013, 10:47 PM
There's only the one for 1 and 5. After that the only grandmatriarch achievement is for buying the Elder Covenant which I think makes them go away forever.Thanks! I'll let it run all night and buy it in the morning, when I'm flush.

Mince
09-23-2013, 12:43 AM
I was effectively done, so I reset.

Did you clear your cookies to clear your cookies?

AaronX
09-23-2013, 12:58 AM
I believe it uses a 64-bit unsigned integer, which means the max would be

(18.447 Quintillion)

It's also possible that the developer used a BigInt package, due to how little math is being done. In which case the max value is effectively unlimited.

One could probably cheat to find out pretty easily.

Wow, I don't think anyone's reached that. Wonder why World of Warcraft only used 32-bit integers (http://wowwiki.com/Money the gold limit used to be about 2,150,000,000).

How could one cheat to get that much money? I thought after about 1E12 it gets very hard to upgrade.

Tip: if you have to click a lot, and have a number pad, Windows has an accessibility feature called Mouse Keys that lets you use the number pad as a mouse. I think + is double click and 5 is single click. Should be easy to get 10 clicks per second with that. If you have a gaming mouse (e.g. Razer), you can set up a macro to click even faster.

Jragon
09-23-2013, 01:37 AM
Nope, he must use a BigInt. I just added the max 64-bit int several times and it just keeps getting bigger, no overflow.

ETA: Yeah, it has to be a BigInt of some sort, I just set it to well above the 128 bit unisgned integer limit and it's merrily chugging along. I don't think modern processors even have a SIMD instruction that handles anything over 128-bit.

Jragon
09-23-2013, 01:42 AM
Nevermind, I made a bad assumption, it's a float of some sort.

I've determined that it's probably a double-precision (64-bit) floating point number. Which means its max is 1.79769e+308. However, trying to set it to that value maxes it declare that the value is NaN for some reason.

Jragon
09-23-2013, 01:55 AM
I'm not sure why, but things get weird around 1.79769313e303. Which as you may notice is very similar to the actual max double value, but off by a factor of 1e5 for some reason. The javascript console seems to report everything up to 1.797<etc>e308 as valid, so I think it's just a formatting error with his display function.

Amblydoper
09-23-2013, 02:13 AM
I just got a x777 click frenzy during a x7 frenzy and earned 120 trillion cookies in 14 seconds! Weee!

VanillaGorilla
09-23-2013, 03:03 AM
Good thing I didn't have anything I needed to do today. Some of the news items are pretty funny, I got one that said "Cookie manufacturer forgoes common sense, lets OCD drive building decisions." I think that's from building in decreasing multiples of 10, which you also get an achievement for.

I am totally letting my OCD decide what to buy. Those multiples of 10, man...

VarlosZ
09-23-2013, 04:16 AM
Are we quite certain that the Red Cookies have a higher expected value than the Golden Cookies? I've seen that written in a couple places, but never with the actual numbers, and the numbers I just worked out myself (pertaining to my specific game) suggest that that's simply not the case.

If anyone wants to check my math (it is possible I just misplaced a decimal point somewhere), my cps is 3.573B, and a manual mouse click yields 142.938M. I'm assuming that I can get 90 clicks in a 13-second "Clicking Frenzy." I'm assuming I'm not going to manually click during a regular Frenzy. Also assuming that I have enough cookies banked so that the results of "Lucky!" and "Ruin!" are based on my cps.

Anyway. The EV of a Cookie Chain once started, assuming you never miss a cookie, is approximately 3,228,721,333,325.4 (3.229T). (I actually couldn't find this correctly given anywhere online, surprisingly.)

Given that, and the figures and assumptions above, a Red Cookie (http://cookieclicker.wikia.com/wiki/Red_Cookie) in my game currently has an EV of 1.7401 Trillion cookies. A Golden Cookie (http://cookieclicker.wikia.com/wiki/Golden_Cookie), however, has a base EV of 3.0868 Trillion cookies, and that's not even accounting for the times a Golden Cookie will yield a Frenzy that's followed by a "Lucky!" and applies its 7x multiplier, which is frequent and very profitable.

Basically, a Golden Cookie is worth twice as much to me as a Red Cookie. What am I missing?

VarlosZ
09-23-2013, 04:37 AM
Oops, a correction:

I forgot that I have the "Get Lucky" upgrade, which doubles the length of "Frenzy!" and "Clot." That changes the EV of a Red Cookie for me to 1.7059 Trillion, and the base EV of a Golden Cookie to 3.8963 Trillion. Worse still.

Jragon
09-23-2013, 06:25 AM
How could one cheat to get that much money? I thought after about 1E12 it gets very hard to upgrade.

"Cheat" as in "literally change the Javascript". :p

I just opened up the developer's console on Chrome and after some poking (and reading the scripts on the game Wiki), found Game.cookies. If you know that, you can set it to pretty much any value you want (and you get a shadow achievement for cheating, which you can also use the developer's console to remove if you want :p). I'm at the point where I'm pretty much obligated to hard reset my game, because of my poking around I have some ridiculous amount of heavenly chips like 9997, which pretty much breaks the game completely.

armedmonkey
09-23-2013, 07:07 AM
Fuck this game. It's the stupidest game I've ever played. But God help me, I have 4 antimatter condensers and am making almost 9 million cookies a second.

ETA: just got my fifth antimatter condenser. Cracked 10 mil/sec

keving
09-23-2013, 08:22 AM
Once you've clicked 77 golden cookies, you will unlock an extremely valuable upgrade relating to golden cookies that will allow you to occasionally make hundreds of trillions of cookies in seconds.
Did you mean hundreds of billions, rather than trillions? Because I'm way past 77 golden cookies and a x777 Clicking Frenzy only produces about one trillion per second, and it only lasts a few seconds. Or is there a rarer Frenzy, a hundred times more powerful?

levdrakon
09-23-2013, 11:05 AM
I finally got a red cookie chain last night that started as 6, then 66, etc until my last one that was worth 6.6 trillion. So that's cool. Still, 6T isn't enough to even buy an upgrade anymore. :(

Omniscient
09-23-2013, 11:24 AM
Fuck this game. It's the stupidest game I've ever played. But God help me, I have 4 antimatter condensers and am making almost 9 million cookies a second.

ETA: just got my fifth antimatter condenser. Cracked 10 mil/sec

I'm with ya. I'm only at about 6M per second and I hardly ever click anything any more since proportionally the numbers are trivial (about 100K) per click. I feel like I'm missing something here, all it is is a counter at this point and there's nothing else I can do besides buy condensers.

I went through a phase where I sold all of my expensive stuff just to get the 100 cursor and granny achievements but otherwise it's just a tab over there I don't play with often.

appleciders
09-23-2013, 11:35 AM
There's a 200 cursor achievement.

Omniscient
09-23-2013, 11:40 AM
There's a 200 cursor achievement.

Yeah, seems like you lose a hefty percentage when you sell your stuff so I'm going to wait a while before chasing those.

PacifistPorcupine
09-23-2013, 11:53 AM
So not only is the game running on my PC back home, it's now running on my phone too...

levdrakon
09-23-2013, 11:58 AM
I alternate buying the top two buildings plus cursors. I know cursors have a terrible ROI, but I want the 200 achievement. I'm up over 180 now, and they sure get pricey. I've got 100 of everything else, at least.

I think I'm going to try to do everything I can without cheating, but I read in this thread you eventually have to cheat to get a certain achievement. No prob. I have no moral qualms about cheating in video games. Whatever is the most enjoyable way for you, go for it, as long as it isn't an official score you want, or you're competing against others who don't cheat.

Sounds like at some point I'll have to do a soft reset or something. Still haven't figured out what these "Heavenly chips" are.

K364
09-23-2013, 12:06 PM
I think I now understand why millionaires and billionaires want more!, More!!, MORE!!!

:p

Omniscient
09-23-2013, 12:12 PM
I alternate buying the top two buildings plus cursors. I know cursors have a terrible ROI, but I want the 200 achievement. I'm up over 180 now, and they sure get pricey. I've got 100 of everything else, at least.

I think I'm going to try to do everything I can without cheating, but I read in this thread you eventually have to cheat to get a certain achievement. No prob. I have no moral qualms about cheating in video games. Whatever is the most enjoyable way for you, go for it, as long as it isn't an official score you want, or you're competing against others who don't cheat.

Sounds like at some point I'll have to do a soft reset or something. Still haven't figured out what these "Heavenly chips" are.

I sell all my cheap stuff so that I only ever have the top 3 building types going, and even then the lowest one isn't that useful once I get to 8-10 of the top one. Achievements are the only reason to hold onto them.

Chronos
09-23-2013, 12:44 PM
Eventually, you'll get to a point where cursors and grandmas are the only objects that add significant CPS, and other objects are worth more for their contribution to your cursors than they are for their direct benefit.

That's in the mathematical sense of "eventually", though, and I doubt anyone's ever gotten to that point even with continual play since the game was created.

drewtwo99
09-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Did you mean hundreds of billions, rather than trillions? Because I'm way past 77 golden cookies and a x777 Clicking Frenzy only produces about one trillion per second, and it only lasts a few seconds. Or is there a rarer Frenzy, a hundred times more powerful?

As mentioned earlier, it is possible to get a Clicking Frenzy during a regular Frenzy. This will allow you to make hundreds of trillions of cookies if your base CPS is in the billions. It's rare but it happens.

And of course there is a way to make sure it happens pretty frequently, involving multiple tabs. But you didn't hear it from me.

BTW, after resetting I made it back into the trillions in less than 6 hours. I'm in the quadrillions again and have every upgrade! :D Life is good and full of cookies.

pricciar
09-23-2013, 01:20 PM
This game is a fun little time killer. And, it's nice that you can just let it run in the background, and then come back to it to see how things have compiled, and what you can buy.

Quick question. Without spoiling what happens too much. Do you have to be prepared with a certain number of cookies per second to purchase the "One Mind" upgrade? Or, when you have enough cookies to buy it is it ok to purchase and see what happens? The game gives such dire warnings, I wasn't sure.

pricciar
09-23-2013, 01:36 PM
Never mind. I did it. We'll see how it goes!

Arrogance Ex Machina
09-23-2013, 01:36 PM
Has nobody posted this relevant youtube vid (http://youtube.com/watch?v=cD69PAIqiYo) yet? I'm amazed.

dracoi
09-23-2013, 02:41 PM
This game is a fun little time killer. And, it's nice that you can just let it run in the background, and then come back to it to see how things have compiled, and what you can buy.

Quick question. Without spoiling what happens too much. Do you have to be prepared with a certain number of cookies per second to purchase the "One Mind" upgrade? Or, when you have enough cookies to buy it is it ok to purchase and see what happens? The game gives such dire warnings, I wasn't sure.

The dire warnings are really overblown.

The short answer is no - you don't have to be prepared. There are a few more research steps that you can buy for benefits. Then eventually the grandmas get angry and you start getting red cookies. As others have said, these cookies have some negative options, but they also have some positive options that make them slightly better (overall) than the original Golden cookies. You can appease the grandmas in a couple of temporary ways (which is necessary to unlock a couple more achievements) and then you can appease them permanently (unlocking another achievement). The permanent appeasing solution reduces your total CPS by 5%, so many people think that the best situation from a CPS production POV is to keep them pissed off - you get the full CPS boosts and the slight net benefit from red cookies.

Amblydoper
09-23-2013, 05:20 PM
Holy British Tea Biscuits, how many cookie upgrades are there?

I'm wondering when I should reset. Will the game say when its a good time to think about it? I'm at about 5.5B cps and most of my income now comes from lucky-frenzy cookies.

appleciders
09-23-2013, 05:38 PM
The game will not say. Here's (http://cookieclicker.wikia.com/wiki/Heavenly_Chips) a good guide.

levdrakon
09-23-2013, 07:44 PM
Okay, so I bought the Elder Calm to stop the red cookies. Boring. I re-bought the Elder Pact so's to get more red cookies. Do the cookie chains max out at 6T? I've gotten that twice now. I was kind of hoping it would go up.

Amblydoper
09-23-2013, 08:30 PM
Yup, they Max out at 6T. However, every click counts as a golden cookie, so that gets you closer to... <goes to click a GC...> your golden cookie achievements. Did you buy that 77 trillion upgrade that doubles the time of Cookie effects? If you haven't, stick with the red cookies. If you have, you can get <goes to click a GC...> lucky-frenzy combos worth a ton of cookies (worth up to 2 1/2 hours of your normal production!)

levdrakon
09-23-2013, 08:34 PM
That 77T upgrade is the one after next, but it'll be a little while before I get the funds. Or crumbs, so to speak.

drewtwo99
09-23-2013, 09:06 PM
nevermind

Mince
09-23-2013, 11:36 PM
nevermind

No. I'm not going to nevermind. Tell us what you were going to say.

Gyrate
09-24-2013, 06:28 AM
Just posting to say: damn you all. Damn you all to hell.

<clicks furiously>

levdrakon
09-24-2013, 09:45 AM
Yup, they Max out at 6T. However, every click counts as a golden cookie, so that gets you closer to... <goes to click a GC...> your golden cookie achievements. Did you buy that 77 trillion upgrade that doubles the time of Cookie effects? If you haven't, stick with the red cookies. If you have, you can get <goes to click a GC...> lucky-frenzy combos worth a ton of cookies (worth up to 2 1/2 hours of your normal production!)I bought the 77T upgrade. My cookies aren't appearing faster. I must conclude you type really slow!

ETA: Oh, but it does make them last longer. Should I ditch the red cookies?

JackieLikesVariety
09-24-2013, 10:05 AM
I'm tired of it - the inflation! :mad:

Idle Thoughts
09-24-2013, 12:20 PM
Just posting to say: damn you all. Damn you all to hell.

<clicks furiously>

Ha!

Still playing, after five-six days now. Might do another reset. At this point it would add about 20 more heavenly chips to my total.

hotflungwok
09-24-2013, 12:34 PM
Am I missing something? Is that it? Not really getting the addicting part of this. Or the fun part.

JohnT
09-24-2013, 12:55 PM
What Chronos said. You really shouldn't have to click to make cookies, except when you click on a golden cookie and it says "x7 for 60 seconds." That's when you frenzy click the big cookie. Luckily, all my Facebook clicky game experience has conditioned my index and middle finger so I can frenzy click for the whole 60 seconds, switching fingers if one gets fatigued. :)

Using a laptop, I click the mouse with my right hand and the keypad with my left. Drives my wife crazy. :D

drewtwo99
09-24-2013, 01:17 PM
Ha!

Still playing, after five-six days now. Might do another reset. At this point it would add about 20 more heavenly chips to my total.

I'm still playing too!

I have every achievement now except for the 777 golden cookie clicks (and all the shadow achievements).

I have 284 heavenly chips. It takes me less than an hour of play now from resetting to getting my first antimatter condenser! :D

How many chips are you up to?

Oh and when I said "nevermind" up there in the edited post, it was because I was speculating about combining a Frenzy with an Elder Frenzy which would be difficult to pull off but theoretically possible. Except I found out online that it isn't possible. If you DO manage to get a rare Elder Frenzy while in a Frenzy (almost impossible in and of itself by the way golden and red cookies work), the Elder Frenzy just takes precedence and the Frenzy goes away. Dang!

fachverwirrt
09-24-2013, 02:22 PM
OK, first of all, this is a stupid, pointless time waster that nobody should bother with.

Second, I'm currently at 15.4 billion CpS, have 3.8 quadrillion cookies baked all time, have all the upgrades and all but 7 achievements (not counting shadow achievements). Of the 7 remaining, I'll probably have 5 by the end of the day (100 time machines (currently 93), and all four of the "reset" achievements). I figure I'll reset when I reach 5.05e15 cookies, which should give me 100 heavenly chips. I don't think I want to invest the time it will take to bank enough to buy 100 antimatter condensers (which will trigger the last two achievements) without that boost.

Third, damn you all.

Amblydoper
09-24-2013, 03:29 PM
I bought the 77T upgrade. My cookies aren't appearing faster. I must conclude you type really slow!

ETA: Oh, but it does make them last longer. Should I ditch the red cookies?

I get distracted easily.

My back of the envelope math tells me that Golden Cookies would be better if you have a huge bank of cookies, to take advantage of the maximum Frenzy/Lucky combo, while the red cookies would be better with a smaller bank to minimize the penalty of the Ruin.

I need 1.561 Qa cookies right now to get the maximum Frenzy/Lucky combo, but with red cookies, I would only need to keep 222T for the maximum Lucky. The big boasts from the red cookies (x666 production and x777 clicks) don't depend on your bank, and Lucky, Ruin and Clot basically cancel each other out. So you don't need to keep up a bank to take advantage of the red cookies.

Mince
09-24-2013, 07:41 PM
Where in the FUCK are all of these cookies going!!!!!!!!!!!?!111!!?1?!1!!1??1!?

You ever pause to think about that, mister wise clicky guy?

Enginerd
09-24-2013, 07:47 PM
Where in the FUCK are all of these cookies going!!!!!!!!!!!?!111!!?1?!1!!1??1!?

I have it on good authority that the known universe is now jammed with cookies. No vacancies!

crypto
09-24-2013, 08:52 PM
I don't get this game at all. Perhaps it doesn't work on the iPad, so I'll try it on my laptop tomorrow. But if anyone can help me get this to work on my iPad and explain to me what I'm supposed to be doing, that would be great. I want to become addicted to something!

Mince
09-24-2013, 08:57 PM
I don't get this game at all. Perhaps it doesn't work on the iPad, so I'll try it on my laptop tomorrow. But if anyone can help me get this to work on my iPad and explain to me what I'm supposed to be doing, that would be great. I want to become addicted to something!

It's energy companies convincing you to leave your computer on all night. Other than that, I'm with you bro.

BleizDu
09-25-2013, 03:58 AM
I'm happy to say that I have beaten this addiction. I played non stop for four days, did two soft resets, and was able to finally get 100 condensers and get all upgrades and achievements. That was enough for me to lost interest, thanks god!

Mince
09-25-2013, 04:23 AM
I'm cooking along at 1 CPS. In 126 years I'll be able to get some really cool upgrades.

JohnT
09-25-2013, 09:03 AM
I think I f-ed it up somehow. I can't get the elder achievements because my grandmother's aren't revolting. They were rebelling in the last pass, but then I did a reset before I calmed them down and since... nothing.

Chronos
09-25-2013, 11:24 AM
Have you bought the Bingo Hall? Have you bought all of the bingo-generated upgrades, including One Mind and Communal Brainsweep? Buying One Mind is what starts the Grandmapocalypse, and buying the Brainsweep is what brings them to "Angry" and lets you start buying the appeasements.

JohnT
09-25-2013, 12:00 PM
I've bought everything, I think. I'm at 119 quadrillion cookies and generating them at a clip of ~65 billion/second. I've bought enough crap so that any 1 item (cursor, farm, antimatter generator) costs in excess of 1 quadrillion cookies.

For some reason, the achievement for 100 upgrades hasn't been awarded though I have over 100 of everything (including 243 cursors, 215 grandmothers, etc.)

drewtwo99
09-25-2013, 01:18 PM
I'm happy to say that I have beaten this addiction. I played non stop for four days, did two soft resets, and was able to finally get 100 condensers and get all upgrades and achievements. That was enough for me to lost interest, thanks god!

Same here. Almost exactly the same way too. Two resets, all upgrades and achievements (except the shadow ones). And I'm done! Finally free of it! And just about 4 days straight of playing too, I think :D

Chronos
09-25-2013, 01:24 PM
For some reason, the achievement for 100 upgrades hasn't been awarded though I have over 100 of everything (including 243 cursors, 215 grandmothers, etc.)
Those are buildings, not upgrades. Upgrades are the square icons above the buildings, things like "Grandmas are twice as efficient", or "The cursors and mouse gain 10 cookies for every building you own". There are 103 of them total, so you need to get almost all of them.

Tapioca Dextrin
09-25-2013, 01:26 PM
Have you sold a Grandma yet? They don't like that.

Telperion
09-25-2013, 01:45 PM
Same here. Almost exactly the same way too. Two resets, all upgrades and achievements (except the shadow ones). And I'm done! Finally free of it! And just about 4 days straight of playing too, I think :D

I just did the same thing, and I can say that the higher chance of a cookie chain from red cookies really helps with the Leprechaun achievement, but there seems to be a bug with the achievements. I have 89/89 and only get 352% Milk. Shouldn't it be 356%?

Telperion
09-25-2013, 01:52 PM
Nevermind, I just counted them and apparently the Neverclick shadow achievement is included but doesn't provide a bonus.

JohnT
09-25-2013, 02:39 PM
I've sold grandma's... some of them are black (like they've been burned black, not that they are of African descent), if that means anything.

As far as upgrades, I have 20 cookie upgrades plus 68 grandma/building/etc upgrades for 88 of them.

Fuck it. Gonna reset. :p

levdrakon
09-25-2013, 03:02 PM
Have you sold a Grandma yet? They don't like that.Ooh, thanks. I hadn't done that yet.

Chronos
09-25-2013, 03:49 PM
I've sold grandma's... some of them are black (like they've been burned black, not that they are of African descent), if that means anything.
Those aren't burnt-black, they're space-black. They're antigrandmas.

Whenever you get 15 of a building above grandmas, you get the option of a new upgrade for your grandmas corresponding to that building: Farmer grandmas, worker grandmas, miner grandmas, etc. When you buy those upgrades, some of your grandmas change appearance to match the new version.

fachverwirrt
09-25-2013, 04:18 PM
So my new plan is to not reset, and see how long it takes me to get 100 antimatter condensers without resetting.

I have everything else I need (all the upgrades and all the buildings I need for achievements) as well as both a golden/red cookie auto-clicker and a big cookie auto-clicker (at five clicks a second; I tried 10 but I think my poor crappy processor didn't like that), so I don't really need to do anything but let it run and occasionally pop back in to buy another condenser when I have the funds. I'm at 89 now, with the next one costing about a quadrillion cookies.

I'm cooking along at about 22 billion CpS plus what I get from the big cookie clicks, so with golden/red cookie effects I figure it should just take a few days, maybe a week. Then I'll reset for the final four achievements and probably stop (unless I want to go for the shadow achievements).

Mainly, I'm just curious.

PacifistPorcupine
09-25-2013, 05:48 PM
So I got the True Neverclick. Takes about 45 minutes with 70 HCs, and a good deal of that is waiting for a couple of Lucky! Golden Cookies to get you past 15.

Frylock
09-25-2013, 06:18 PM
What is the challenge? I am not quite cottoning on to what's going on here. I mean, I get that various manners of clicking will change how often I get cookies in various ways. I am not sure what I am being challenged to do though.

BrianJ
09-25-2013, 06:21 PM
When do these golden cookies start showing up? I've never seen one

BrianJ
09-25-2013, 06:24 PM
What is the challenge? I am not quite cottoning on to what's going on here. I mean, I get that various manners of clicking will change how often I get cookies in various ways. I am not sure what I am being challenged to do though.

Increase your cookies per second so that you get more cookies, to buy more stuff that increases your cookies per second.
Duh.:D

Mince
09-25-2013, 06:32 PM
Are the GMO cookies safe?

bucketybuck
09-25-2013, 06:33 PM
I am not sure what I am being challenged to do though.

Well...
so I don't really need to do anything but let it run

I would love to read what some sort of expert would say about this behaviour. Its a game where you don't really achieve anything, the game doesn't really change at all, and where people actually make it so that they don't even have to play the game itself, instead just let a program run and do it for them.

And people will "play" it for days and even weeks. Its utterly insane.

bucketybuck
09-25-2013, 06:36 PM
Increase your cookies per second so that you get more cookies, to buy more stuff that increases your cookies per second.

But even when you increase your cookies per second, the prices rise accordingly, so your spending power never actually increases.

Chronos
09-25-2013, 08:04 PM
BrianJ: Golden cookies can show up at any time, randomly. They're about half the size of the Big Cookie, and show up in a random spot in the window (if you want to look for them, shrink the window to the size of one cookie, and leave it in the corner of your screen). They stay on the screen for a couple of seconds, and if you click on one before it disappears, it gives you a bonus of some sort. They're worth a lot more in the late game, and there are a couple of upgrades eventually to make them show up more often.

After a certain point, you'll start getting red cookies instead of golden cookies. These work the same way, but they'll sometimes hurt you instead of helping. They're still good on average, though.

Frylock
09-25-2013, 08:34 PM

Not my kind of game at all then.

Alright see you later gonna play a few hours of Diablo 3.

levdrakon
09-25-2013, 08:36 PM
I want to reset, but I've got 93/103 upgrades, and 505 golden cookie clicks.

Folly
09-25-2013, 08:56 PM
Well...

I would love to read what some sort of expert would say about this behaviour. Its a game where you don't really achieve anything, the game doesn't really change at all, and where people actually make it so that they don't even have to play the game itself, instead just let a program run and do it for them.

And people will "play" it for days and even weeks. Its utterly insane.

Well, I'm not an expert, but you seem to be basically describing any RPG here. :)

But that is basically what we have here. A very simple RPG. It hits all the basic achievement and upgrade buttons deep in our brains.

Telperion
09-25-2013, 09:23 PM
I want to reset, but I've got 93/103 upgrades, and 505 golden cookie clicks.

It saves all your golden cookie clicks across soft resets, so I'd say go for it. The prestige bonus makes a huge difference.

Chronos
09-25-2013, 09:46 PM
It also saves the achievements you already have on a soft reset. So your kittens will be much more effective the second (and subsequent) times through. And if you've gotten far enough to get 93 upgrades, then you're probably looking at a few dozen heavenly chips from that (each one gives a 2% boost, and the heavenly boost stacks multiplicatively with the upgrade boosts). It will almost certainly be quicker to get those last few upgrades by resetting than by sticking with it.

K364
09-25-2013, 11:21 PM
What does a reset take away?

Suburban Plankton
09-26-2013, 01:53 AM
What does a reset take away?

A little bit of your soul.

I believe it also takes away all of your cookies and everything you've purchased (buildings, cursors, and grandmas), but not your Achievements.

And all the cookies you've ever bakes are converted into 'Heavenly Chips', and give you an increase to your CpS, making it that much easier to advance the next time.

Gyrate
09-26-2013, 07:21 AM
"There was a computer game..." (http://forums.shadowedguild.com/index.php?topic=80.0)

chicagowhitesox1173
09-26-2013, 10:58 AM
I left the game on for two days and i'm at 577,000,000,000 cookies now.

levdrakon
09-26-2013, 11:33 AM
It saves all your golden cookie clicks across soft resets, so I'd say go for it. The prestige bonus makes a huge difference.

It also saves the achievements you already have on a soft reset. So your kittens will be much more effective the second (and subsequent) times through. And if you've gotten far enough to get 93 upgrades, then you're probably looking at a few dozen heavenly chips from that (each one gives a 2% boost, and the heavenly boost stacks multiplicatively with the upgrade boosts). It will almost certainly be quicker to get those last few upgrades by resetting than by sticking with it.I reset yesterday, or 14 hours ago according to CCer. I got 49 Heavenly Chips and I'm up to about 400 million cps. Not fast enough! :)

JohnT
09-26-2013, 12:59 PM
Clicking on the ad(s) do not get you any achievements. However, it does get you out of the game as they don't open in a new window.

chicagowhitesox1173
09-26-2013, 02:03 PM
How you improve your farm. I'm only making 2000 perminute yet my grandma are making 200,000 per minute.

appleciders
09-26-2013, 02:43 PM
You don't. Farms are crappy.

Chronos
09-26-2013, 04:00 PM
It's still reasonable to buy them late in the game, just because of the bonus they (and everything else) give to your cursors. According to cookiemonster, I've bought my buildings in the optimum proportion, and I currently have 156 cursors, 166 grandmas, 118 farms, 106 factories, 98 mines, 90 shipments, 83 alchemy, 93 portals, 73 time machines, and 64 antimatters (that's with all of the building-specific upgrades bought).

levdrakon
09-26-2013, 04:25 PM
I'm using Cookie Monster as well. Good info. I like it when computers do what they're supposed to do - boring tedious stuff while I sit back in charge.

chicagowhitesox1173
09-26-2013, 05:17 PM
I've got...
142 cursers producing 1.2 million
125 grandmas producing 3.3 million
108 farms producing 2,160 thousand...... I don't understand what I did wrong here.
100 factories producing 11,200 thousand
89 mines producing 35,600 thousand
81 shipments producing 89,000 thousand
72 alchemy producing 288,000 thopusand
61 portals producing 4.0 million
41 time machines producing 17.8 million
26 antimatters producing 57.1 million

Bryan Ekers
09-26-2013, 05:28 PM
There was once a time in my life when having baked over 500 trillion cookies would have seemed unlikely.

That time was two days ago.

Palooka
09-26-2013, 05:40 PM
The heck is wrong with you people.

Sr Siete
09-26-2013, 05:49 PM
I got bored with it, so I used a cheat to get infinite money.

There's no end to the game, or at least no particularly big developments. The cookies in the Store just stop appearing, and getting 300+ of any building doesn't upgrade anything.

Sorry.

Bryan Ekers
09-26-2013, 05:56 PM
Well, having cheated my way to producing more cookies than the universe has electrons, I guess I'm done.

levdrakon
09-26-2013, 06:16 PM
No vacancies!

drewtwo99
09-26-2013, 07:04 PM
What if cookie clicker was one of these "gotchas!" to test humanity's resolve to stop baking cookies in the face of things like:

Killing 73% of our teenage population.
Killing hundreds of miners in cookie-mining related accidents.
Selling our own grandmothers to optimize cookie production.
Ignoring the strikes of workers in our cookie factories.
Selling our grandmother's souls and bodies in a never ending lust for ever more cookies, resulting in a truly horrifying situation where they have all become physical monsters and changing the landscape of our planet into a pulsating fleshy mass.

And we all did it. And we all did it several times, restarting the game, knowing what would happen, again and again.

And when that wasn't enough, we cheated in more cookies.

Cookie clicker proves humanity is beyond redemption. May God have mercy on our souls.

"You could have stopped it." -Grandma

applebetty
09-26-2013, 07:23 PM
I <3 drew.

Amblydoper
09-27-2013, 02:50 AM
I reset around 150 Heavenly Chips. I was up to 95 Antimatter Condensers. NINETY-FIVE! And I couldn't get those last few without days of waiting, or hours chasing after every Golden Cookie. I had to reset again. Hopefully I will make it this time. 260 HC better be enough to make it to those last 2 Achievements.

Also, I bought some cookies a week ago, and they are almost gone... In the time it has taken me to eat 30 cookies, I have baked 33,687,000,000,000,000 more. We may have a problem soon.

Gyrate
09-27-2013, 05:06 AM
I had 100 on everything except time machines and AMCs (and about 130 cursors). I'd gotten 69 achievements and 69 upgrades and was in the process of stockpiling trillions of cookies in a run-up to a reset when my computer crashed. When I turned it back on, all my data was gone. No buildings, no cookies, no achievements, no nothing. A complete wipe. All those hours of clicking - gone.

And in that moment, my one thought was...
I'm free! Free! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! FREEEEEEEEEE!!!
So there's that.

VarlosZ
09-27-2013, 05:14 AM
I back up my save every so often just so I can actually finish the damn thing without having to start over.

I'm making 22.7B cps. I've had over 162,000 manual cookie clicks (in 5 and half days). The only things I'm missing are the achievements for 777 golden cookies (23 to go), 100 of every building (just 9 more condensers, but they get pretty fucking expensive towards the end), and the 4 for resetting the game with X cookies made. Almost there.

22 golden cookies to go...

Morgyn
09-27-2013, 08:55 AM
It's here:
http://orteil.dashnet.org/cookieclicker/

Go on. Try it. Try it for just 10 minutes (at least).

Please don't hate me later for revealing this--the most addicting game on the internet, and possibly the world---to you all.<sadly> You are an evil, evil person. </s>

JohnT
09-27-2013, 10:05 AM
Well, having cheated my way to producing more cookies than the universe has electrons, I guess I'm done.

Seconded.

wonky
09-27-2013, 11:09 AM
Selling our grandmother's souls and bodies in a never ending lust for ever more cookies, resulting in a truly horrifying situation where they have all become physical monsters and changing the landscape of our planet into a pulsating fleshy mass.

Oh, disco wasn't that bad!

Count me as another who laughed at the OP and said, "What's the big deal?" and got sucked into the cookie vortex. Damn you.

fachverwirrt
09-27-2013, 11:11 AM
And done. All upgrades and achievements, and only reset to gain the final four achievements (that is, I got my 100 condensers without resetting). I have no intention of pursuing the shadow achievements (7777 golden cookie clicks would take me another two weeks or so). Final CpS about 25 billion, total of 45.5 quadrillion cookies baked.

Kalea
09-27-2013, 11:55 AM
You are all evil. Grandma just told me that I disgust her. Why, Grandma, why?!?!?

wonky
09-27-2013, 11:57 AM
You are all evil. Grandma just told me that I disgust her. Why, Grandma, why?!?!?

The fault lies not in grandma but in the fact that we sell grandma for cookies.

levdrakon
09-27-2013, 12:22 PM

You could have stopped it.
~Grandma

Telperion
09-27-2013, 12:29 PM
What if cookie clicker was one of these "gotchas!" to test humanity's resolve to stop baking cookies in the face of things like:

Killing 73% of our teenage population.
Killing hundreds of miners in cookie-mining related accidents.
Selling our own grandmothers to optimize cookie production.
Ignoring the strikes of workers in our cookie factories.

That seems a bit gloomy, I feel confident in saying that all the cookies I have produced must have solved world hunger several times over...and may have caused a global obesity epidemic, but nobody's perfect.

fachverwirrt
09-27-2013, 12:30 PM
throb
~Grandma

TruCelt
09-27-2013, 12:34 PM
I had 100 on everything except time machines and AMCs (and about 130 cursors). I'd gotten 69 achievements and 69 upgrades and was in the process of stockpiling trillions of cookies in a run-up to a reset when my computer crashed. When I turned it back on, all my data was gone. No buildings, no cookies, no achievements, no nothing. A complete wipe. All those hours of clicking - gone.

And in that moment, my one thought was...
I'm free! Free! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! FREEEEEEEEEE!!!
So there's that.

Same thing happened to me. Twice. The first time I went in and enabled off-line mode thinking that would fix it. The second time I was up to 177 AMCs, and clicking away at 33B or so per second.

I'm done. I'd have liked to find out what heavenly chips are, but the heck with it.

Chronos
09-27-2013, 12:45 PM
drewtwo, don't forget about all those poor axolotls, mole rats, and tardigrades we're giving cancer.

Idle Thoughts
09-27-2013, 12:54 PM
I got bored with it, so I used a cheat to get infinite money.

There's no end to the game, or at least no particularly big developments. The cookies in the Store just stop appearing, and getting 300+ of any building doesn't upgrade anything.

Sorry.

You don't think the Grandmapocolyse is a big development?

In any case, this is the type of game I could never be truly done with, personally. The dev has said he plans to keep adding to it, more updates and buildings and events, so I can easily see myself checking in every so often and playing in day-long spurts of sheer addictiveness.

TruCelt
09-27-2013, 07:32 PM
The 18 Stages of Cookie Clicker Addition. (http://buzzfeed.com/awesomer/the-18-stages-of-a-full-blown-cookie-clicker-addiction)

Some unthinking twit explained to me about "exporting" my saves. Just click export save, then copy the text provided into a Word or other document. Then if you need o re-start your game you can do so by copying that text to the "Import Save" box. The bastard even provided save text of his own that would put me back almost exactly where I left off. Frackin' enablers man! Misery loves company!

::shakes fist::

AaronX
09-27-2013, 10:58 PM
The fault lies not in grandma but in the fact that we sell grandma for cookies.

Because let's eat, grandma.

Zebra
09-28-2013, 01:56 PM
I hate you guys.

HardlySanguine
09-28-2013, 03:55 PM
Word of warning to those about to reset - make a backup.

I just did my second reset and I lost hundreds of golden cookie clicks and a few achievements in the transfer. :(

levdrakon
09-28-2013, 05:15 PM
Noob question: I have 102/103 upgrades now, but there's nothing left to buy except Elder Covenant which I've already bought before. Where's my last upgrade?

Last thing I bought was Kitten Overseers for 900T.

Kalea
09-28-2013, 05:18 PM
Do you have the Sacraficial Rolling Pins?

levdrakon
09-28-2013, 05:22 PM
Do you have the Sacraficial Rolling Pins?Yup.

Kalea
09-28-2013, 05:24 PM
Hmmm.... my only other suggestion is to check the wiki (http://cookieclicker.wikia.com/wiki/Upgrades) and see what you're missing.

levdrakon
09-28-2013, 05:30 PM
Hmmm.... my only other suggestion is to check the wiki (http://cookieclicker.wikia.com/wiki/Upgrades) and see what you're missing.Thanks. It looks like maybe I need to buy 200 cursors to unlock an upgrade. I did that before my reset, but I guess I have to buy them again.

That Don Guy
09-28-2013, 06:28 PM
It took me a while to figure out why everybody but me seemed to be able to make cookies without actually clicking the mouse (although I did get a "golden cookie" for maintaining a 7/second click rate for 77 seconds, plus the "clicktastic" achievement for 1000 clicks).

Chronos
09-28-2013, 06:45 PM
although I did get a "golden cookie" for maintaining a 7/second click rate for 77 seconds
That's your reward for the golden cookie, not its cause. They appear randomly every so often. If you got a frenzy reward before you had anything else making cookies for you, it went completely to waste.

So, I finally have my Kitten Overseers. I was expecting them to take until some time on Monday before I saved up enough, but those Frenzy Lucky bonuses really add up. I should actually be able to finally finish (that is, get all of the achievements and upgrades) this run-through.

By the way, a useful formula: Every time you buy a building, its price goes up by 15%. This means that if you want to buy n of the same building (for instance, to reach a milestone to unlock an upgrade, like the 200 cursors levdrakon needs), the total cost will be equal to the current price times (1.15n - 1)/0.15 .

Also, if you're using the Cookie Monster add-on, it tells you a number called "base cost per income" for everything you can buy, gotten by dividing the cost of the purchase by the amount of income it would add. What this means is that that's the payoff time, in seconds, of that investment. So if you had two games starting from the same save, and one of them bought an upgrade with a base cost per income of 1000, then after 1000 seconds, they'd have equal bank again.

In general, what I do is first look for what has the best (i.e., shortest) payoff time. If I can't afford it yet, then I look for how long it'll take me to afford it. Anything with a payoff time shorter than that, is a good buy. Be careful, though, because Cookie Monster does not account for things like good upgrades becoming available when you purchase some amounts, so it can be worthwhile, for instance, to buy a bunch of cursors even when they appear to be a bad investment, to open up a new *illion fingers upgrade.

pravnik
09-28-2013, 07:06 PM
But even when you increase your cookies per second, the prices rise accordingly, so your spending power never actually increases.That's the most realistic part. In life, the more money you make, the more your basic expenditures seem to cost and the more of them you seem to have. Economist B. Smalls dubbed this phenomenon "Mo Money Mo Problems."

Kalea
09-28-2013, 07:35 PM
Not sure if it's the latest upgrade, but I'm occasionally getting discounts on buildings out of my golden cookies. Anyone else seeing these?

california jobcase
09-28-2013, 09:06 PM
How does one get the Leprechaun to open up?

Wolverine
09-28-2013, 09:21 PM
777 Golden Cookies. I'm at 755.. (woohoo a Cookie Chain)...at 768, so I'm very excited to get it.

Best Topics: qvc womens clothes excitable boy meaning ruben meat saddam doubles smarties flavor throat losinger usps casual cep licking orgasms spanish necesito boeing b24 penis pumping forum amy camus ethnicity vs culture dropkick football 2 channel speakers buy p51 microcephalic pinheads perverted priests being there soundtrack 20 decibels browning flour codeine at walmart 20 dating 17 define ofay rear coil spring sammy or sammie kirk cameron shirtless ouzo vs sambuca 6 bits corpus christi sucks 86 origin sugar mommas dallas jap slap definition raise hematocrit levels promotion applied amazon fresh movie loose jaw carbolic acid injection america takes over the world rectum, damn near killed him is sundance vacations legitimate see out window but not in all my teeth are rotten email a song from itunes how do you spell porcupine safe deposit box keys frost free vs auto defrost how much do garmin updates cost summa cum laude pronounce keurig cup sizes in oz young frankenstein frau blucher quotes how long does dulcolax stay in your system married filing separately without spouse's social security number how to set up 8 ball monty python and the holy grail monk chant why are republicans called gop advance notice vs advanced notice where at least i know i'm free why do masonic lodges have no windows should i put salt down before it snows why does my handwriting look so bad seeing different colors out of each eye can an employer cut your pay for no reason what is the medical term for snot how much do actors get paid for residuals how to dilute urine for etg test how to make pigeon poison swim in the ocean at night chicken in a car