PDA

View Full Version : Is It Possible To Carry Off The "Cosmo Kramer" Look Today?

ralph124c
12-07-2013, 11:02 AM
I mean, Kramer made 1950s thrift store dressing cool-he made old bowling shirts and white socks classy again.
Can you do this today? Or would you look like:
-a complete jerk
-a homeless person
I like the look-and giving vintage clothing a new life!
I am always amazed ad the quality of the 1950s garments-they were made to last!

Son of a Rich
12-07-2013, 11:14 AM
I mean, Kramer made 1950s thrift store dressing cool-he made old bowling shirts and white socks classy again.

You thought that the Kramer character was classy :confused:

Enginerd
12-07-2013, 11:27 AM
You'd look like Kramer. Whether or not that's a good thing is left as an exercise for the reader.

running coach
12-07-2013, 11:37 AM
You'd look like Kramer. Whether or not that's a good thing is left as an exercise for the reader.

That's never a good thing.

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
12-07-2013, 01:13 PM
Was it possible then?

Alessan
12-07-2013, 01:22 PM
I have a feeling someone REALLY didn't "get" Seinfeld.

DrDeth
12-07-2013, 01:28 PM
A faux-hipster thinking he looks "ironic". Combine with a ironic mustache, a soul patch and a trilby, and you'll fit right into SF fashion for those in their 20's.

Marley23
12-07-2013, 01:30 PM
I was going to say Malcolm Gladwell has sort of a Kramer/academic thing going on, but maybe I'm just focusing on his hair.

pancakes3
12-07-2013, 01:37 PM
What's to get? It's a show about nothing!

ralph124c
12-07-2013, 01:41 PM
You thought that the Kramer character was classy :confused:

Kramer was classy-he lived life the way he wanted to..wasn't hung up on fads..a bit of a mooch, but classy!

Alessan
12-07-2013, 01:43 PM
In other words, a homeless person who happened to have a home.

Little Nemo
12-07-2013, 02:24 PM
Kramer was classy-he lived life the way he wanted to..wasn't hung up on fads..a bit of a mooch, but classy!It worked for Kramer because he was ignoring cultural expectations and being himself.

Anyone trying to imitate Kramer would automatically fail. You can't be an original by trying to copy somebody else who's an original.

Son of a Rich
12-07-2013, 02:46 PM
Kramer is the part of that show I never understood. If I lived in that building, the first time he slid into my apartment I'd put about 5 locks on the door, and a wide angle peephole in the door so I could make sure he wasn't in the hall. Did that guy have any redeeming qualities?

FordTaurusSHO94
12-07-2013, 02:56 PM
The look is "hipster doofus" if you go by what everyone said on the show. The other characters didn't think he was classy.

Smapti
12-07-2013, 03:21 PM
Can you do this today?

Macklemore seems to have done a pretty good job of it.

Justin_Bailey
12-07-2013, 03:56 PM

Who doesn't wear white socks? :confused:

Labrador Deceiver
12-07-2013, 04:26 PM
A faux-hipster thinking he looks "ironic". Combine with a ironic mustache, a soul patch and a trilby, and you'll fit right into SF fashion for those in their 20's.

Yes, in the late 90s.

Shooby
12-07-2013, 08:42 PM
Kramer is the part of that show I never understood. If I lived in that building, the first time he slid into my apartment I'd put about 5 locks on the door, and a wide angle peephole in the door so I could make sure he wasn't in the hall. Did that guy have any redeeming qualities?

Levels!

Happy Lendervedder
12-07-2013, 10:33 PM

Wood!

Colibri
12-07-2013, 11:56 PM
Kramer was classy-he lived life the way he wanted to..wasn't hung up on fads..a bit of a mooch, but classy!

Kramer thought he was classy. Everyone else thought he was an idiot.

Alessan
12-08-2013, 04:33 AM

Me too, but I don't think you appreciate Jerry Seinfeld's deep masochistic streak.

shijinn
12-08-2013, 04:39 AM
if he did put 5 locks on the door then the show would really be about nothing.

don't ask
12-08-2013, 05:09 AM

As Bob Dylan puts it:

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."

PunditLisa
12-08-2013, 06:47 AM
Let me introduce you to Russell Brand.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0PDoYAGXKRSHDMAv1eJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTI0aW11cGlnBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZANhNjI0NTY4NGVjZWNm YzcyNzk1ODMzZWNiZTQzOGYwOARncG9zAzExMgRpdANiaW5n?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch% 2Fimages%3Fp%3Drussell%2Bbrand%26_adv_prop%3Dimage%26va%3Drussell%2Bbrand%26fr%3Dyfp-t-900%26ac%3D2%26spos%3D12%26nost%3D1%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D112&w=400&h=600&imgurl=lahiguera.net%2Fcinemania%2Factores%2Frussell_brand%2Ffotos%2F11996%2Frussell_brand.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Flahiguera.net%2Fcinemania%2Factores%2Frussell_brand%2Ffotos%2F11996%2F&size=21.4KB&name=%3Cb%3ERussell+Brand+%3C%2Fb%3Efoto+Todo+sobre+mi+desmadre%2C+imagen%2C+fotograf%C3%ADa+cine&p=russell+brand&oid=a6245684ececfc72795833ecbe438f08&fr2=&fr=yfp-t-900&tt=%3Cb%3ERussell+Brand+%3C%2Fb%3Efoto+Todo+sobre+mi+desmadre%2C+imagen%2C+fotograf%C3%ADa+cine&b=61&ni=128&no=112&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=1259s01o2&sigb=14hdttbv1&sigi=12f4u5cio&.crumb=frEx3CMUclP&fr=yfp-t-900

Alessan
12-08-2013, 07:26 AM
Now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure that Kramer was Jerry's dealer.

jovan
12-08-2013, 08:58 AM
I'd say he was the only character with genuine qualities. Yes, he was highly eccentric and frequently dragged other people into trouble through his oddball schemes and ideas. However, he was the only character in the show that was not thoroughly self-absorbed. There are several episodes where Kramer goes out of his way to help various people. As a matter of fact, he's often shown as being very good at making friends (see the Soup Nazi). He's the guy who gets along with everyone. Exactly how someone as wacky as he is gets along so well is part of some of the mysteries that made him funny, such as how can he afford such a nice apartment in Manhattan without a job. And what is his first name.

salinqmind
12-08-2013, 11:34 AM
Eww. Those awful old-man pants and white socks....he always looked like he smelled. Like B.O. and unwashed ass. (I do understand why he had fans, though. George Costanza in the same universe had no problem getting dates. Seems unrealistic, but of course such folk in real life do as well as Hollywood types might.)

pulykamell
12-08-2013, 12:01 PM

Well, they certainly don't look "classy." (I personally usually only wear them with exercise clothes or if I'm bumming around the house in sweats.)

Nisslbody
12-08-2013, 12:06 PM
I'd say he was the only character with genuine qualities. Yes, he was highly eccentric and frequently dragged other people into trouble through his oddball schemes and ideas. However, he was the only character in the show that was not thoroughly self-absorbed. There are several episodes where Kramer goes out of his way to help various people. As a matter of fact, he's often shown as being very good at making friends (see the Soup Nazi). He's the guy who gets along with everyone. Exactly how someone as wacky as he is gets along so well is part of some of the mysteries that made him funny, such as how can he afford such a nice apartment in Manhattan without a job. And what is his first name.

It was Cosmo.

My ex-boyfriend dresses exactly like that.

He looks like Bob Dylan, that's how he gets away with it. Don't judge me.

FordTaurusSHO94
12-08-2013, 05:07 PM
I refuse to wear white cotton socks. I don't think they look good, but they're also very uncomfortable compared to synthetic or wool.

sisu
12-08-2013, 09:37 PM
The look is "hipster doofus" if you go by what everyone said on the show. The other characters didn't think he was classy.

Yeah I much preferred jeans with joggers and poofy pirate shirts!

kramer was a hipster before they were ironic.....

DrDeth
12-08-2013, 10:35 PM
Yes, in the late 90s.

I must have great time walk abilities because that look is pretty common in SF still.

Stringbean
12-09-2013, 04:22 AM
No character in the history of television entered a room like Kramer.

shijinn
12-09-2013, 04:28 AM
and no character in the history of television exits a bet like Kramer.

Labrador Deceiver
12-09-2013, 09:45 AM
I must have great time walk abilities because that look is pretty common in SF still.

Hipsters moved on from that look a long time ago. Now they either wear rolled-up skinny jeans with work boots or look like civil war soldiers (http://thechive.com/2013/10/08/civil-war-soldiers-or-hipsters-24-photos).

DrDeth
12-09-2013, 11:50 AM
Hipsters moved on from that look a long time ago. Now they either wear rolled-up skinny jeans with work boots or look like civil war soldiers[/URL].

So then why am I still seeing that look everywhere I go in SF?

Labrador Deceiver
12-09-2013, 12:01 PM
So then why am I still seeing that look everywhere I go in SF?

That's easy: nerds.

Justin_Bailey
12-09-2013, 12:12 PM
and no character in the history of television exits a bet like Kramer.

Kramer's exit to "I'm out!" is 53 seconds.

Ravenman
12-09-2013, 12:27 PM
Kramer was classy-he lived life the way he wanted to..wasn't hung up on fads..a bit of a mooch, but classy!I must chime in with the others who are saying that you missed the point on the character. The whole point was that he was not classy. It's like if someone said that Archie Bunker was a respected and convincing voice for restoring traditional values in America.... just, no.

Kobal2
12-09-2013, 01:05 PM
Exactly how someone as wacky as he is gets along so well is part of some of the mysteries that made him funny

No mystery. He's got the Kavorka, that's all.

DrDeth
12-09-2013, 06:09 PM
That's easy: nerds.

Ah, the "no true faux-hipster" fallacy? :p

Labrador Deceiver
12-09-2013, 06:15 PM
Hey, it was in response to the "everyone under 35 is a hipster" fallacy. Cut me some slack. ;)

control-z
12-10-2013, 04:39 PM
"I sense great vulnerability. A man-child crying out for love. An innocent orphan in the post-modern world."
"I see a parasite. A sexually depraved miscreant who is seeking only to gratify his basest and most immediate urges."
"His struggle is man's struggle. He lifts my spirit."
"He is a loathesome, offensive brute. Yet I can't look away."
"He transcends time and space."
"He sickens me."
"I love it."
"Me too."

The Kramer Painting (http://arts-wallpapers.com/paintings/kramer/kramer.jpg). I seriously want a print of this.

tullsterx
12-10-2013, 04:50 PM

I hardy ever wear white socks. Or tennis shoes.

tullsterx
12-10-2013, 04:53 PM
What made Kramer cool was his independence and disregard for fashion and trends. Which is part of what makes up a real trendsetter.

If you want to be like Kramer, then, you're not like him AT ALL. Because he doesn't want to be like anyone else. It's very Zen.

Colibri
12-10-2013, 05:24 PM
Which is part of what makes up a real trendsetter.

The other part is setting trends that anyone else wants to follow. Which is where Kramer fell down. (Actually, he fell down a lot.)

Elendil's Heir
12-10-2013, 10:25 PM
...The Kramer Painting (http://arts-wallpapers.com/paintings/kramer/kramer.jpg). I seriously want a print of this.

An alternative source: http://amazon.com/Pyramid-Seinfeld-Kramer-Wall-Poster/dp/B00533K1H6

grude
12-10-2013, 11:50 PM
I must chime in with the others who are saying that you missed the point on the character. The whole point was that he was not classy. It's like if someone said that Archie Bunker was a respected and convincing voice for restoring traditional values in America.... just, no.

Both characters are way more complex than you're suggesting, Archie Bunker was much more than a one dimensional bigot and it would not shock me if someone admired some aspect of the character. Same for Kramer, he wasn't just a buffoon and in fact compared to the rest of the cast may have been the most human character.

dougie_monty
12-11-2013, 01:33 AM
Can you do this today? Or would you look like:
-a complete jerk
-a homeless person
I like the look-and giving vintage clothing a new life!

From his hairdo alone, Kramer resembled:
1. Struwwulpeter
2. Don King before his laundry comes back from the cleaners
3. Patti LaBelle in drag
4. Cosmo Kramer whose reprive came through just as the warden pulled the switch :D

Stealth_Bragg
12-11-2013, 08:12 AM
An alternative source: http://amazon.com/Pyramid-Seinfeld-Kramer-Wall-Poster/dp/B00533K1H6

Looks like a young Lt Columbo to me.....

Frylock
12-11-2013, 08:50 AM
Both characters are way more complex than you're suggesting, Archie Bunker was much more than a one dimensional bigot and it would not shock me if someone admired some aspect of the character. Same for Kramer, he wasn't just a buffoon and in fact compared to the rest of the cast may have been the most human character.

I'm trying to figure out where Ravenman said that Kramer is just a buffoon, or that Archie Bunker is one-dimensional. I'm not seeing that stated or implied in the post.

Elendil's Heir
12-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Hey, we made it to a second page. It's a Festivus miracle!

grude
12-11-2013, 11:17 AM
I'm trying to figure out where Ravenman said that Kramer is just a buffoon, or that Archie Bunker is one-dimensional. I'm not seeing that stated or implied in the post.

I must chime in with the others who are saying that you missed the point on the character. The whole point was that he was not classy. It's like if someone said that Archie Bunker was a respected and convincing voice for restoring traditional values in America.... just, no.

He didn't use the word buffoon, but did say he wanted to join the chorus that the whole point of the character was missed by the OP which is that Kramer is the opposite of classy.

I don't think ralph124c missed the whole point of Kramer at all is what I'm saying, and I'm pretty sure ralph124c and other posters who defended Kramer are not only admiring the character's fashion sense, they are admiring other aspects of the character. So I think someone could say they admire Archie Bunker for his traditional values and mean his devotion to his wife and daughter or some other aspect of the character. I mean this is what the OP and others say about Kramer:

What made Kramer cool was his independence and disregard for fashion and trends. Which is part of what makes up a real trendsetter.

If you want to be like Kramer, then, you're not like him AT ALL. Because he doesn't want to be like anyone else. It's very Zen.

And I think the thread chorus of "you missed the point of Kramer" sure sounds like a buffoon.

You thought that the Kramer character was classy

--------------------

I have a feeling someone REALLY didn't "get" Seinfeld.

--------------------

In other words, a homeless person who happened to have a home.

--------------------

-------------------

-------------------

Kramer thought he was classy. Everyone else thought he was an idiot.

-------------------

Eww. Those awful old-man pants and white socks....he always looked like he smelled. Like B.O. and unwashed ass. (I do understand why he had fans, though. George Costanza in the same universe had no problem getting dates. Seems unrealistic, but of course such folk in real life do as well as Hollywood types might.)

Yllaria
12-11-2013, 05:27 PM
. . . I like the look-and giving vintage clothing a new life!

Sorry to interrupt, but you do realize that all of the garments made in the 1950s that weren't made to last - didn't last. I'm not saying that garments weren't sturdier then, only that it's not possible to conclude that from looking at the garments that lasted.

Now back to Kramer.

Best Topics: travel percentage meaning dog anus swollen ss bloodgroup tattoo wipe imac rattling chains dp woman lactose anhydrous iron man plane hypnohub bimbofication congressional record archive andouille sausage substitute boys came buck three eighty impala 3.4 nicotine gum hiccups mapqiest cp lowes plants clearance call of void geraldine whittington suffixes for cities playboy countries cervix freeze growler shelf life milton burrows red antiseptic tolo dance nitrous oxide tanks scantron alternatives 1940s westerns double cut pizza miyazaki age growler beer how long will it last texas beer alcohol content masters in international relations salary saying no to contacting previous employer difference between maine lobster and canadian lobster throwing up without nausea diablo sandwich and a dr pepper what happens at the end of trading places how to sifen gas out of a car gallbladder removal pros and cons why do my cheeks hurt radon test during home inspection band of gold lyrics meaning best font for love letter how to stop heater core leak square root of pi why do people capitalize the first letter of every word vintage rolling stones magazine beacon of minas tirith happy yom kippur do you say toilet flap closes too soon how to splice underground wire in conduit what does governor mean in england blood as egg substitute transition lenses reviews 2016 shoggoth on the roof lyrics how much force is needed to break a bone what does fubar stand for why does milk curdle in coffee what medication dries up a runny nose seafood makes me nauseous how to pronounce leia