PDA

View Full Version : I cannot be the only one afraid of the Pillsbury pop

Biggirl
12-17-2013, 07:55 PM
Seriously, I have to hand the tube to someone else. It makes me anxious.

Right now I've got cut up Grands smothered in melted herbed butter with plenty of garlic powder (doesn't cook long enough for fresh garlic to my liking) and shredded Monterrey Jack on top. What else can I make with the scary dough that'll make the terror of opening them worth it?

silenus
12-17-2013, 07:57 PM
Biscuits?

d&r

Oakminster
12-17-2013, 08:01 PM
serve plain biscuits with butter and pancake/waffle syrup.

RandMcnally
12-17-2013, 08:05 PM
My wife says the best thing about being married is she always has someone to open those for her.

Little Nemo
12-17-2013, 08:07 PM
Deep fry them like donuts. Then sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on top.

Biggirl
12-17-2013, 08:08 PM
Biscuits?

d&r

Not worth the pop when I can make regular old biscuits.

Little Nemo
12-17-2013, 08:10 PM
Chocolate banana empanadas (http://thedailymeal.com/easy-peasy-banana-empanadas?utm_source=shine%2Bnewsfeed&utm_medium=partner&utm_campaign=pillsburybiscuits&RM_Exclude=Welcome)

WhyNot
12-17-2013, 08:18 PM
Cut a hole in the center with a shot glass (one of the tall skinny ones work best) and fry 'em up as donuts and donut holes. While they're still warm, toss 'em in a paper bag with sugar or cinnamon sugar, or glaze them with chocolate, white chocolate or melted fruit preserves.

Roll 'em thin, put a dollop of shepherd's pie or chicken stew or sliced ham and cheese or a couple of slices of pepperoni and a slice of cheese or...anything else you can think of, then fold over, pinch and bake.

Cook 'em on a greased waffle iron for waffles with no mess. No, I'm not kidding! Well, okay, they're not exactly like waffles, but they're adorable and nomable.

Mix cinnamon and sugar and pinch of salt in a bowl, cut each biscuit into 4 pieces, and roll them in the cin/sug mixture and put them in a greased cake pan. Melt some butter, pour it over the dough and bake at 350 until you can't stand it anymore (or the top is golden brown and delicious - about 25 minutes).

Do the above, but with caramel sauce and pecans.

Next time, leave out the cinnamon and toss the sugared dough pieces with some dried cranberries, chopped dried apricots and little cubes of cream cheese. After you've poured the melted butter, brush the top with melted apricot preserves before baking.

I'm hungry.

blondebear
12-17-2013, 08:35 PM
...fry 'em up as donuts and donut holes. While they're still warm, toss 'em in a paper bag with sugar or cinnamon sugar, or glaze them with chocolate, white chocolate or melted fruit preserves.Yummmmmmm...my mom used to make DIY donuts just like that. They were the ultimate breakfast treats at our house when I was growing up, even better than pancakes or waffles. My brother, being about 3 years old at the time, called them "Doug hunts".

aceplace57
12-17-2013, 08:35 PM
I love them cooked on top of stew. I always buy Dinty Moore YMMV. 1. pour in pan and heat the stew in the oven 2. flatten/stretch the biscuit dough just a little bit. 3. put on top of the hot stew 4. bake until brown.

The stew soaks into the biscuit. Yum!

Ethilrist
12-17-2013, 08:42 PM
Interesting anecdotal side-note... the father of my wife's college roommate worked at Pillsbury and was one of the two guys who designed the Pop tube technology. They made up a bunch of samples to show management their success.

Chuck: "See?" *pop* "It just pops open!"
Manager: *thud* (note: not pop) "It didn't open."
Chuck: "Huh. Let me try it..." *pop* "must've been a dud. Try this one!"
Manager: *thud* (see above re: not pop) "..."

Chuck and the other guy were both left-handed. So were the first round of tubes (heh... round... tubes). Anyway, a certain re-engineering was needed to remove the handedness from the tubes.

Ethilrist
12-17-2013, 08:44 PM
And back on topic... have you ever had one just detonate when you remove the rip cord? I hate that.

IvoryTowerDenizen
12-17-2013, 08:44 PM
Crockpot Monkey Bread. http://getcrocked.com/2013/01/17/slow-cooker-monkey-bread/

Went for a long hike and came back to this....

Motorgirl
12-17-2013, 08:47 PM
I'm not afraid of the pop, but I am afraid of extracting the dough from the popped tube - ever since I gave myself a horrible gaping bloody paper cut on the cardboard edge. The crescent rolls were extra savory that day.

Biggirl
12-17-2013, 08:50 PM
And back on topic... have you ever had one just detonate when you remove the rip cord? I hate that.

Yes. This is the most terrifytng thing about them.

Tethered Kite
12-17-2013, 08:53 PM
Chocolate banana empanadas (http://thedailymeal.com/easy-peasy-banana-empanadas?utm_source=shine%2Bnewsfeed&utm_medium=partner&utm_campaign=pillsburybiscuits&RM_Exclude=Welcome)

Oh! My! Goodness!

What a great idea.

aceplace57
12-17-2013, 09:09 PM
It must be 7 years since I popped a tube of biscuits.

We buy our grands in a ziplock pouch. Cook only as many as we need for a meal.
http://pillsbury.com/-/media/PB/Images/products/biscuits/grands-frozen-biscuits/grands-buttermilk.ashx

Dewey Finn
12-17-2013, 09:12 PM
I assume everyone knows about using the crescent roll dough to make pigs-in-a-blanket?

Motorgirl
12-17-2013, 09:20 PM
I assume everyone knows about using the crescent roll dough to make pigs-in-a-blanket?

Oh yeah! I use the mini wieners and cut the crescent roll dough sections in half lengthwise for piglets in blankets.

Baker
12-17-2013, 09:23 PM
Seriously, I have to hand the tube to someone else. It makes me anxious.

Right now I've got cut up Grands smothered in melted herbed butter with plenty of garlic powder (doesn't cook long enough for fresh garlic to my liking) and shredded Monterrey Jack on top. What else can I make with the scary dough that'll make the terror of opening them worth it?

Cut the raw biscuits in half and deep fry them, then roll in cinnamon sugar, for fast and easy donuts.

LawMonkey
12-17-2013, 09:34 PM
Isn't the pop one of the major attractions of the Pillsbury dough products? O.O

AuntiePam
12-17-2013, 09:54 PM

Yep -- with cheese.

Use 2 crescents, press on dotted line to make a rectangle. Top with a thin slice of ham and some grated cheese, add horseradish mustard if you feel adventurous. Roll up, slice horizontally and bake. Very popular midwest 60's appetizer.

Skammer
12-17-2013, 10:09 PM
I am required to do the tube-popping in our house. They scare my wife.

Dewey Finn
12-17-2013, 10:17 PM
I can't understand being afraid of the popping noise. It's fun, as is the sudden expansion in the dough.

salinqmind
12-17-2013, 10:28 PM
Oh yeah! I use the mini wieners and cut the crescent roll dough sections in half lengthwise for piglets in blankets.

OK, being ultra cheap and all, I find a package of Hillshire Farms Li'l Weiners or Li'l Smokies can be wrapped using one package of crescent rolls. Cut EACH triangle into five strips (it doesn't have to be evenly triangular, even a scrap of dough can be wound around a teeny dog). It works out perfectly even.

Happyasaclam
12-17-2013, 10:34 PM
Just let my little one pop the tube for some pigs in a blanket..
It's cold here!!!

GIGObuster
12-17-2013, 10:56 PM
Reference to the item and the effects being discussed.

http://i.imgur.com/DzqIVGg.gif

:)

http://cracked.tumblr.com/post/65799711537/we-meet-again-doughboy-4-everyday-activities

sitchensis
12-17-2013, 11:22 PM
You can wrap a thin layer of dough over a campfire stick and cook it over the fire. Have a bunch of cinnamon sugar and butter around. It’s a fun way for kids to make their own camping treats.

Biotop
12-18-2013, 12:37 AM
If you can toss with accuracy, peel back the paper and stand way back in the kitchen. Pitch the tube across the kitchen so it lands in the sink. Walk over to the sink and remove your now popped biscuits. Caution: Be sure to empty and clean your sink prior to this action.

ZipperJJ
12-18-2013, 01:05 AM
Terrified.

I'm also afraid of latex balloons, which - like dough canisters - can pop any moment.

Inner Stickler
12-18-2013, 02:31 AM
Argh, it drives me nuts when someone slowly and timidly tries to tear it open. They invariably end up standing in the middle of the kitchen with e denuded tube fearfully tapping it against the countertop. Grab and rip, people, grab and rip!

Biggirl
12-18-2013, 07:56 AM
Reference to the item and the effects being discussed.

http://i.imgur.com/DzqIVGg.gif

:)

http://cracked.tumblr.com/post/65799711537/we-meet-again-doughboy-4-everyday-activities

Exactly!

ghostman
12-18-2013, 08:50 AM
Just wanted to add: I'm a grown man, who has no problem running into burning buildings for free, but those rip-n-pop things scare the ever-living-bejeezus out of me.

Too damn bad that Pillsbury flaky layers are the best-thing-evar invented. I really should try to make them from scratch instead I suppose...

stpauler
12-18-2013, 09:09 AM
When I'm doing this, it's for the cinnamon rolls. They remind me of snow Sunday mornings growing up. Yum. That said, I hate the pop. My face tenses up and squints away and my muscle clench until it's over. I found the one way to mitigate it is to grip the tube with both hands and use my thumb to apply pressure at the seam. Usually the result is just a "pffffffffffffff" instead of a pop. That said, there's no stopping the eager tube that pops when remove the initial paper.

Seanette
12-18-2013, 09:29 AM
Add me to the "hate that pop" section. I do NOT like sudden loud banging noises, especially when it's happening in my hand.

WhyNot
12-18-2013, 09:34 AM
I like the rip and pop or the rip and whack ones. But being fat American gluttons, we like the bigger biscuits, and when you're holding that much lard and compressive power in your hands, you have to do the press with a spoon thing, and those are...disconcerting.

panache45
12-18-2013, 10:37 AM
I just used a tube of them to make pizza dough. Is it a coincidence that there was exactly the right amount of dough in the tube . . . or did they know it would be used this way?

aruvqan
12-18-2013, 11:27 AM
Get a couple of red bean paste candy lumps (http://eastxmidwest.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/candy-red-bean-paste.jpg), cut into smaller cubes, wrap in a grand, roll in sesame seeds and deep fry. Not as good as the official ones from a chinese restaurant, but decent if you don't have a can of red bean paste, or want to make red bean paste from scratch.

Hockey Monkey
12-18-2013, 11:30 AM
I thought everybody loved Whompem Biscuits. It's so much fun to whomp 'em on the edge of the counter to pop them open.

delphica
12-18-2013, 11:32 AM
I have to take a moment and steel my nerves before opening one. I also lean way back when I open it ... it makes no sense, but if you could see me in the kitchen, I'm sure I look like an idiot.

For a variation on the pigs in the blanket, roll up pepperoni slices and shredded cheese in the crescent rolls.

jsgoddess
12-18-2013, 12:13 PM
I hate the popping and often make my husband (who also hates the popping, I think) open the cans. I am a wimp.

What my coworkers dubbed "Cinnamon Crack Buns."

2 cans of crescent rolls
2 peaches or 2 apples or 1 of each, cut into 8 pieces each (buy the peaches a little bit unripe)
cinnamon
dark brown sugar
butter
Pineapple soda or Mountain Dew (not diet)
9x13 baking pan

Slice the fruit into thin wedges, roll in cinnamon sugar, roll up each wedge in a crescent roll. Put 8 dumplings along each long side of the pan, leaving a gap between the rows and a little space along the edges. Sprinkle, pour, or dump cinnamon over each roll.

(this step depends on your liking for butter and sweetness) Put 1/2 to 1 stick o' buttah in a sauce pan with 1/2 to 1 cup of dark brown sugar. Heat until the butter melts, and the sugar and butter mix together in a bubbling caramel. It will smell incredible.

Pour the caramel mixture over the rolls.

Pour about 8 oz of the pop/soda/whatever you call it along the empty spaces in the pan.

Put into a 350 oven until the tops get a little hollow sounding.

Serve warm. Spectacular with ice cream.

(For those of us who can't eat gluten, or if you just want to do it a different way, these can also be made with pie crust (regular or gluten free).)

purplehorseshoe
12-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Next time you've screwed up the courage to pop open a tube of the croissants :D place a small piece of chocolate in the center before rolling up. Et voila - pain au chocolat American-style (e.g. lazy as hell) and you'll wonder why you didn't think of it before.

Non-chocolate people should play around with putting a small piece of cheese in the middle before rolling for a more savory breakfast.

dracoi
12-18-2013, 12:25 PM
I have never even though twice about the pop. If anything, my frustration is trying to find the right amount of force that gets it to pop without completely ripping those things in half. They rarely just pop open when I pull the strip off.

melted herbed butter with plenty of garlic powder (doesn't cook long enough for fresh garlic to my liking)

I'm going to have to try this recipe.

As a thought: If you're using melted butter, you could cook the garlic in the butter for a couple of minutes to give it a good head start. As a perk, the garlic flavor will infuse into the butter nicely. Of course, I've got nothing against garlic powder.

jsgoddess
12-18-2013, 12:30 PM
When you have something that needs a quick hit of garlic (but be cautious because this is a HIT of garlic), check out the little frozen cube things. Dorot. I had to check my fridge for the brand. It's crushed garlic in oil and it packs a wallop.

Biffy the Elephant Shrew
12-18-2013, 12:31 PM

Oh hell yes. I once had one literally explode in my face, spraying dough all over the kitchen (and me). :eek:

Biggirl
12-18-2013, 01:02 PM
I just thought of something: Once the tube has been defused, wrap brie in it.

ETA: Not in the tube, duh. In the dough.

eschereal
12-18-2013, 01:32 PM
When I was young we would

• take a large marshmallow, roll it in butter, then cinnamon
• wrap it in a piece of crescent roo dough
• roll the dough in butter and then cinnamon
• bake till the dough is cooked
(messy, use foil or cupcake tins/wrappers)

My mom told me recently that we called them "ghost rolls".

Ethilrist
12-18-2013, 03:57 PM
I just thought of something: Once the tube has been defused, wrap brie in it.

ETA: Not in the tube, duh. In the dough.

Ah. I was thinking, "well, somebody is on a high-fiber diet..."

JohnGalt
12-18-2013, 04:10 PM
Doesn't anyone just strike the tube on the square edge of a counter or cutting board? Wasn't that the way the original commercials showed how?

Ah - here ya go 1965 Pillsbury Commercial (http://youtu.be/nR8SBa962Fk)

GrizzRich
12-18-2013, 04:27 PM
A co-worker of mine got a tube of biscuits as a gag-gift at work. He absentmindedly tossed it into his desk drawer and forgot about them; until, several days lays later, we heard a muffled thoomp come from his desk.

ew.

Tara57
12-18-2013, 06:12 PM
When I was young we would

take a large marshmallow, roll it in butter, then cinnamon
wrap it in a piece of crescent roo dough
roll the dough in butter and then cinnamon
bake till the dough is cooked
(messy, use foil or cupcake tins/wrappers)

My mom told me recently that we called them "ghost rolls".

That same recipe also goes by names like Easter Buns or Ressurection Rolls. Each step of the recipe can represent part of the Easter story:

http://eastcobber.com/easter-brunch-recipe-idea-resurrection-bunsempty-tomb-biscuits

Canned biscuits make easy chicken and dumplings.

Missy2U
12-18-2013, 06:16 PM
For a variation on the pigs in the blanket, roll up pepperoni slices and shredded cheese in the crescent rolls.

Holy Crow - I never THOUGHT of this!! THANK YOU!! Now I know what I'm making for our bar Christmas Party! You are a gnius, delphica!!!

IvoryTowerDenizen
12-18-2013, 06:23 PM
We loved making crescent roll variations. Add the fillings, roll and bake.

Some favorites include:
Roast beef and cheddar
Nutella
Butter and cinnamon sugar
Pizza sauce and mozzarella
Banana slices and a few chocolate chips.

Motorgirl
12-18-2013, 08:20 PM
OK, being ultra cheap and all, I find a package of Hillshire Farms Li'l Weiners or Li'l Smokies can be wrapped using one package of crescent rolls. Cut EACH triangle into five strips (it doesn't have to be evenly triangular, even a scrap of dough can be wound around a teeny dog). It works out perfectly even.

That's actually a good idea. Sometimes they turn out awfully "bread-y" when I use 1/2 a dough section. I'm going to try this!

Little Nemo
12-18-2013, 09:13 PM
Next time you've screwed up the courage to pop open a tube of the croissants :D place a small piece of chocolate in the center before rolling up. Et voila - pain au chocolat American-style (e.g. lazy as hell) and you'll wonder why you didn't think of it before.

Non-chocolate people should play around with putting a small piece of cheese in the middle before rolling for a more savory breakfast.Or a slice of marzipan.

EmilyG
12-18-2013, 09:20 PM
When opening those things, I just think of something that makes me angry, so I'll have more energy to pop it open and it'll be more satisfying.

mage-girl
12-18-2013, 09:21 PM
Those damn biscuit tubes make me jump every time!

that_darn_cat
12-18-2013, 10:00 PM
Both my step-mother and -brother hate the pop. Have to do it for them. I like to wrap them into a ball around chocolate chips, then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and bake. Yum. Only good hot though.

aceplace57
12-18-2013, 11:13 PM
They changed the tube. It pops open when you peel off the paper.

I recall three types. The earliest needed a whack on the counter. A few years later the directions said to press with a spoon and it popped open. Now it pops just peeling off the paper.

Doesn't anyone just strike the tube on the square edge of a counter or cutting board? Wasn't that the way the original commercials showed how?

Ah - here ya go 1965 Pillsbury Commercial (http://youtu.be/nR8SBa962Fk)

gonzoron
12-18-2013, 11:43 PM
place a small piece of chocolate in the center before rolling up. Et voila - pain au chocolat American-styleWe use chocolate chips. No sense wasting time breaking up chocolate bars. That's like real cooking.

I just thought of something: Once the tube has been defused, wrap brie in it.We use gouda. It's teh awesome.

The Second Stone
12-18-2013, 11:53 PM
You know what? The Pillsbury Doughboy is white. And so is the Michelin Man. Just because something makes you feel oppressed, doesn't mean that you have to have someone else open the can or change the tire.

Ruken
12-19-2013, 12:03 AM
I do not like the pop. And while I scoff at canned dough as not-really-food, I must admit to opening them a few times in my 20s. The office had a toaster oven and I could bake them there.
One time I unrolled canned cinnamon buns and re-rolled them around strips of bacon.

If you can toss with accuracy, peel back the paper and stand way back in the kitchen. Pitch the tube across the kitchen so it lands in the sink. Walk over to the sink and remove your now popped biscuits. Caution: Be sure to empty and clean your sink prior to this action.Ew no thanks. Food from the sink is like food from the toilet. I don't care how well you think you've cleaned it. I'd rather risk my fingers.

It must be 7 years since I popped a tube of biscuits.

We buy our grands in a ziplock pouch. Cook only as many as we need for a meal.
http://pillsbury.com/-/media/PB/Images/products/biscuits/grands-frozen-biscuits/grands-buttermilk.ashxI checked these out a few years back and they were loaded with trans fats. I wonder if that's changed...
...Yes, it has: http://pillsbury.com/products/biscuits/grands-frozen-biscuits/buttermilk

Best Topics: what is pleated 1975 quarters firestone spark plugs catnip drug sarah lee jingle deutschland pronounce moses's sons hoarders shanna update natural cinnamon candy bugi pirates haul ass zenni eyebuydirect can turtles jump canucks meaning horse clans potemkin villages relocating squirrels big penis jokes longest baby bark shin scarf muffler jacob's ladder analysis cynical pessimist safe words list bob marley hair sweating fever out does cyanide hurt dry masturbation who invented clapping strongest solvent eat your wheaties fireworks punks cruzan coconut rum recipes curiosity your body on drugs vcr sound but no picture female barbershop quartet names what color socks with khakis and brown shoes i bite my thumb at you meaning what doctor to see for vasectomy pocket in panties purpose the law of one debunked ma scratch tickets codes is denim a color mina league of extraordinary gentlemen the shield glenn close html code for small caps is carmax certified pre owned john saxon martial artist how to remove tea stains from plastic pitchers how did indy know not to look do salmon die after spawning le figaro in english cost to replace bathroom floor us beef wholesale reviews word of encouragement for surgery keep futon mattress from sliding civ 4 tips for beginners hoover dam life expectancy what would jesus eat recipes how many pseudoephedrine can i buy growing taller at 30 what does it mean when you waive extradition beer can in jamaican accent why do people use pcp lincoln mkz commercial song 700x35/43c inner tube salvation army crt tv religion where you wear long skirts automobile hide a key methocarbamol over the counter