PDA

View Full Version : Is carrying a CO2 powered BB pistol "the" smart man's alternative in 2014 and beyond?

regularshow
09-14-2014, 12:15 PM
For a more surer and more smoother "get off with self-defense in a court of law" measure, wouldn't you say just carrying a CO2 powered BB pistol is "the" smart man's alternative to carrying a firearm or a tazer or a stun gun in 2014 and beyond?

I know for a fact that if you need to defend yourself, just aim for the face where the eyes are, if your weapon of choice for self-defense is a CO2 powered BB pistol.

You can avoid jumping through hoops when it comes to purchasing and owning a CO2 powered BB pistol. Why go through stress to own a firearm in 2014? :dubious:

Self-defense is about being smart. Firearms will only have you marked in a gov data base, basically.

Johnny L.A.
09-14-2014, 12:38 PM
I had a Daisy CO2 pistol (http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/15923/15883222_1.jpg?v=8CFFE7F71CCACF0) when I was a kid in the '70s. Power decreased dramatically with multiple shots as the CO2 cylinder became ice cold (Gay-Lussac's law). It lasted a Summer or two, but then started to leak and was useless.

In most states you can buy a cap-and-ball Colt replica (http://dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=1024) through the mail, and it would be more reliable than a BB gun.

ETA: The 'smart' thing, if you absolutely feel the need to go armed (I don't) is to get an actual firearm, learn how to use it, and follow all federal and state laws regarding its use and carriage.

running coach
09-14-2014, 12:41 PM
1.Check your local laws. In many places BB/pellet guns are treated as firearms.
2. "If you shoot him, you'll just make him mad". Remember this.

Lumpy
09-14-2014, 12:42 PM
If it's effective as a weapon, it will probably be under the same restrictions as regular firearms; if it isn't, it's because it's minimally harmful. Doesn't seem like a useful "less lethal" option to me.

Quartz
09-14-2014, 12:44 PM
In the UK BB guns with more than a certain muzzle velocity are subject to restrictions. But being hit by a BB pellet is only a sting. It won't break the skin.

Johnny L.A.
09-14-2014, 12:47 PM
1.Check your local laws. In many places BB/pellet guns are treated as firearms.
2. "If you shoot him, you'll just make him mad". Remember this.

If it's effective as a weapon, it will probably be under the same restrictions as regular firearms; if it isn't, it's because it's minimally harmful. Doesn't seem like a useful "less lethal" option to me.

To clarify my last, I was talking about buying a black powder revolver. Actually carrying one loaded is most likely treated the same as carrying a 'firearm'. (Under federal rules, muzzle-loaders aren't 'firearm' firearms because they do not fire fixed ammunition.)

beowulff
09-14-2014, 01:02 PM
In the UK BB guns with more than a certain muzzle velocity are subject to restrictions. But being hit by a BB pellet is only a sting. It won't break the skin.

I have one that will put a pellet through 1/2" of plywood.

obbn
09-14-2014, 02:24 PM
Shoot a person who is trying to harm you with a bb gun is a good way to now have a really pissed off person trying to hurt you.

Amateur Barbarian
09-14-2014, 02:35 PM
I have one that will put a pellet through 1/2" of plywood.
I have a Crosman .22 pistol that will easily go through a half inch of ply. I think it would make a significant hole in a large animal.

Ravenman
09-14-2014, 02:52 PM
If I were on two juries - one defendant claiming self defense by using a taser to incapacitate someone, the other claiming self defense by trying to blind an assailant with a BB gun - I think I would vote to acquit the first defendant under a much greater number of possible scenarios. The number of scenarios where I think trying to cause likely permanent eye damage can be considered proportional to the threat is mostly limited to the extreme scenarios where the use of deadly force would probably also be justified.

Der Trihs
09-14-2014, 02:55 PM
The smart thing is to use a weapon that's as lethal as possible, since then your target won't be alive to contradict your version of the altercation.

zoid
09-14-2014, 03:07 PM
Shoot a person who is trying to harm you with a bb gun is a good way to now have a really pissed off person trying to hurt you.

Yep, you've just escalated the situation and God help you if the guy you just shot is carrying a real gun because now he'd be justified in being genuinely afraid for his welfare and just may decide to shoot back.

Lumpy
09-14-2014, 03:12 PM
The smart thing is to use a weapon that's as lethal as possible, since then your target won't be alive to contradict your version of the altercation.I ordered a Disintegrator Ray Blaster (http://fap.to/images/full/11/379/379079855.jpg), only to discover the plutonium's not included.

Icerigger
09-14-2014, 03:13 PM
I had a CO2 BB pistol when I was a kid. When the cylinder was fresh it would punch a hole through a hard cover book to about page 100.

Bryan Ekers
09-14-2014, 10:31 PM
I ordered a Disintegrator Ray Blaster (http://fap.to/images/full/11/379/379079855.jpg), only to discover the plutonium's not included.

If you'd bought it in 1985, plutonium was available in every corner drugstore.

buddy431
09-15-2014, 12:48 AM
If it's legal to shoot someone with a BB gun (which can be lethal, even if it's often not), then it's legal to use deadly force. The conventional wisdom is that if you're in a situation where it's legal to use deadly force, either you want to extract yourself from the situation without escalating it at all, or you want to use as deadliest of force as you can. Now I suppose it's true that it might, depending on the laws in your state and local jurisdictions, be easier to legally carry a BB gun than a firearm, but honestly, I wouldn't feel safer having a BB gun than having nothing (of course I'm the type of person who doesn't feel the need to carry a firearm regularly either, so YMMV)

Johnny L.A.
09-15-2014, 03:11 PM
I ordered a Disintegrator Ray Blaster (http://fap.to/images/full/11/379/379079855.jpg), only to discover the plutonium's not included.

Were you trying to link to something? Or have I been whooshed?

Lumpy
09-15-2014, 10:51 PM
Were you trying to link to something? Or have I been whooshed?
Link works for me, what are you getting?

zoid
09-15-2014, 10:55 PM

I get:

Error 503 Service Unavailable

Service Unavailable

Guru Meditation:

XID: 4244353318

Varnish cache server

Mr. Duality
09-16-2014, 09:54 AM

Tell that to the 40+ rabbits I've killed over the past few years with BB rifle (not CO2, requires pumping to charge it up). Usually one shot is enough. As a teen a friend & I killed a muskrat with a CO2 pistol. It required about 20 shots and I felt bad after.

Johnny L.A.
09-16-2014, 09:57 AM

I get:

Error 503 Service Unavailable

Service Unavailable

Guru Meditation:

XID: 4244353318

Varnish cache server
^ This.

I got that on my MacBook at home, and on the PC at my office.

Really Not All That Bright
09-16-2014, 10:30 AM
If you'd bought it in 1985, plutonium was available in every corner drugstore.
Nah, even then you had to steal it from Libyans.
I get the same as zoid.

Scumpup
09-16-2014, 10:37 AM
To clarify my last, I was talking about buying a black powder revolver. Actually carrying one loaded is most likely treated the same as carrying a 'firearm'. (Under federal rules, muzzle-loaders aren't 'firearm' firearms because they do not fire fixed ammunition.)

These laws vary by state. Here in Pennsylvania, anyone legally prohibited from possessing a firearm is prohibited from owning muzzle loading weapons as well. Also, any place where you might be prohibited from carrying a Glock, you will be prohibited from carrying a Navy Colt. The whole "muzzle loaders are non-guns" thing applies only at the federal level and only for commerce purposes. If one foolishly tries carrying a cap and ball revolver about as some kind of "rule beater," the law dogs here will make that abundantly clear.

voltaire
09-16-2014, 10:47 AM
No. You'd just like to convince yourself of that since it's all you've been able to get your hands on.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

Odesio
09-16-2014, 10:51 AM

Maybe in 1985 you can just run down to the nearest corner store and pick up some plutonium, but not here!

Atomic Alex
09-16-2014, 10:52 AM
Regarding unusual personal defence weapons a friend once demonstrated an incredibly powerful hand-held torch on me (the swine), as soon as I recovered from being temporarily blinded I was quite impressed.

He said it was even marketed as a 'last ditch personal defence weapon'.

I believed him.

running coach
09-16-2014, 10:58 AM
Regarding unusual personal defence weapons a friend once demonstrated an incredibly powerful hand-held torch on me (the swine), as soon as I recovered from being temporarily blinded I was quite impressed.

He said it was even marketed as a 'last ditch personal defence weapon'.

I believed him.

I'm assuming flashlight here. Though the other possibility would be awesome. :D

Atomic Alex
09-16-2014, 10:59 AM
Heh, sorry, yes a flashlight

Johnny L.A.
09-16-2014, 11:04 AM
These laws vary by state. Here in Pennsylvania, anyone legally prohibited from possessing a firearm is prohibited from owning muzzle loading weapons as well. Also, any place where you might be prohibited from carrying a Glock, you will be prohibited from carrying a Navy Colt. The whole "muzzle loaders are non-guns" thing applies only at the federal level and only for commerce purposes. If one foolishly tries carrying a cap and ball revolver about as some kind of "rule beater," the law dogs here will make that abundantly clear.

Yes, that's why I specified buying one in 'most' states and said that this was under federal law. ;)

Cheesesteak
09-16-2014, 02:35 PM
wouldn't you say just carrying a CO2 powered BB pistol is "the" smart man's alternative to carrying a firearm or a tazer or a stun gun in 2014 and beyond?I'd probably say that a BB pistol is one of the worst alternatives to carrying a firearm that one could think of.

It's dangerous enough that you might get an assault with a deadly weapon, or attempted murder charge if you use it. It's not, however, dangerous enough to reliably stop an attacker. If you actually get in a fight with a guy who has his own gun, you're pretty much a corpse if you pull out a BB gun.

Seriously, your plan is to shoot your attacker in the eyes?

running coach
09-16-2014, 02:43 PM
Seriously, your plan is to shoot your attacker in the eyes?

You can't return fire if you can't see. :smack:

Scumpup
09-16-2014, 02:44 PM
If you insist on following this plan, buy the smallest BB gun you can find and keep it slathered with vaseline or mineral oil. Smooth, rounded contours are also advisable.

zoid
09-16-2014, 03:45 PM
If you insist on following this plan, buy the smallest BB gun you can find and keep it slathered with vaseline or mineral oil. Smooth, rounded contours are also advisable.

That took me a minute :D

Stranger On A Train
09-16-2014, 05:03 PM
Someone once tried to shoot me with a .25 ACP and I broke his arm in two places. If someone tried to shoot me with a B.B. gun, I might just stop with the wrist. So...there's that.

Stranger

Lamar Mundane
09-16-2014, 06:00 PM
Don't buy it in Wal-Mart, especially if you're black. (http://npr.org/2014/09/16/348709429/community-keeps-calm-despite-questions-about-wal-mart-shooting)

Magiver
09-17-2014, 08:50 PM
In the UK BB guns with more than a certain muzzle velocity are subject to restrictions. But being hit by a BB pellet is only a sting. It won't break the skin.I've fired an air gun that would drive a .17 pellet through a 2x4. A head shot would be fatal.

Ranger Jeff
09-18-2014, 01:24 AM
Don't buy it in Wal-Mart, especially if you're black. (http://npr.org/2014/09/16/348709429/community-keeps-calm-despite-questions-about-wal-mart-shooting)

Well, you have admit he was guilty of Shopping While Black. :(

Best Topics: telephone parts porcelain breaking glass apo ae 09306 bogarting origin pulsing eyes hairy buttcrack true frequency products simmer stove setting dop kit origin tallywacker origin devils pool accident charmed angel diablo vs wow presbyterian vs episcopal tcb tattoo meaning fivethirtyeight nowcast pushed forward time travelling song boat names ss dealdash commercial actress mild cavity arab skin color spit shake peter o'toole imdb quantum latin ashcan comics horsehair upholstery stuffing sulfa powder vulgarian meaning willie n ethel google translate punta munch ems crackers connecting cable box to computer monitor mold in drinking water symptoms amazon return policy opened electronics on the verge of homelessness just looking for some tush types of led flashlight bulbs no rub contact solution discontinued usps sunday drop off is national geographic reliable why do people hate dane cook can iron pills make you sick how much is a mega watt heavy cream for coffee scan photos to cd walgreens giving me the vapors toy car that flips over is it illegal to have a flask in your car birds with human mouths will drano unclog bathtub can a citizen give a cop a ticket one piece swimsuit gallery why was churchill voted out pizza falls through oven rack bruise with hard lump how to remove deodorant buildup from clothes over the counter methocarbamol how to live in a warehouse i am a meat popsicle meaning is a sawed off shotgun illegal heart rate over 100 when walking college ruled paper dimensions wicker caning where to buy how to remove condensation from car windows frazz calvin and hobbes san giorgio mac and cheese recipe on box