PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning/Good Night in other languages

Stana Claus
12-18-2015, 10:58 AM
There is someone I text daily with a message saying "Good morning" or something to that effect when I get up, and again with a "Good night" message before I go to sleep. I would like to add some variety by doing so in other languages but could use some help with the typical phrasing. I'm looking for casual vernacular that would be used between friends and family members more than strictly formal grammar. And other phrases equivalent to "sweet dreams" or "sleep well/sleep tight" would be greatly appreciated as well.

So, how do you Dopers around the world wish your friends and loved ones a good morning and good night?

Nava
12-18-2015, 11:18 AM
Spanish:

full form, Buenos das (morning) / Buenas noches / Hasta maana (good night / see you tomorrow)
abbreviated forms Buenas, Nas or Naaaaas (works at any hour, both as greeting and farewell), Ta maana
other familiar forms: vamos a la cama (lit. we're going to bed; said mostly by people at or below middle age as it comes from an old cartoon (https://youtube.com/watch?v=O-P_fJZSOFA) sending kids to bed)
que suees con los angelitos lit "dream about the little angels", sweet dreams
que duermas bien, may you sleep well

Catalan:

full form, Bon da (morning) / Bona nit / Fins dem (good night / see you tomorrow)
que dormis b, may you sleep well; dorm b, sleep well

Basque:
I don't know the time-specific forms, but the general hello is kaixo and the general farewell is agur

araminty
12-18-2015, 11:37 AM
Indonesian:
Good morning: Selamat pagi
Good night/sleep: Selamat tidur

stillownedbysetters
12-18-2015, 11:44 AM
Guten Morgan and Gute Nacht in German

Dzien Dobry and Dobranoc in Polish

Chefguy
12-18-2015, 12:51 PM
Portuguese:
Bom dia (bom is pronounced with a long 'o', and the 'm' is sort of swallowed and becomes more like the 'ng' sound at the end of a word).

Good night or evening is boa noite, sort of like 'bwa noyt'.

Paintcharge
12-18-2015, 02:08 PM
Bon soir. French goodnight.

Bon matin. French good morning.

Giles
12-18-2015, 02:25 PM
Japanese:
Good morning: おはようございます ‎(ohayō gozaimasu). or less formal おはよう ‎(ohayō).
Good night: おやすみなさい ‎(oyasumi nasai), or less formal おやすみ ‎(oyasumi).

Stana Claus
12-18-2015, 02:26 PM
Thanks everyone so far, that's a good start. Please keep them coming. SC

Dr. Drake
12-18-2015, 02:52 PM
Welsh: bore da (good morning), nos da (good night)

Chefguy
12-18-2015, 05:49 PM

Usually followed by "Ca va?" (sah vah) among friends, meaning "How's it going?" In fact, there is often a whole ritual of asking after one's family, etc.

even sven
12-18-2015, 05:57 PM
In Fulfulde, greetings are generally in question form. Good morning would be " Fajiri Jam?", with the response being "Jam" (Good, Peaceful).

Good night is "Jam Walla".

Moris
12-18-2015, 06:40 PM
Croatian:

Dobro jutro. (good morning)
Dobra večer (good evening)

Serbian:

Dobro jutro.
Dobro veče.

Good night is laku noć or laka noć in both.

(j as y in yacht ; č and ć as ch in church)

burpo the wonder mutt
12-18-2015, 08:11 PM
Guten Morgan and Gute Nacht in German

Dzien Dobry and Dobranoc in Polish

[Minor nitpick]Morgen[Minor nitpick]

Senegoid
12-18-2015, 09:36 PM
Hebrew:
Good morning -- בוקר טוב -- BOker tov

Good evening -- ערב טוב -- ERev tov

Good night -- לילה טוב -- Laila tov

RadicalPi
12-19-2015, 01:30 AM
Bon soir. French goodnight.

The French don't really say bon matin, but rather bonjour. They don't say bonsoir as "goodbye" either. It means the same thing as bonjour, except that you say it when it's dark out (more or less). You can, though, say bonne nuit to people if you or them are going to bed.

Ibanez
12-19-2015, 02:27 AM
The French don't really say bon matin, but rather bonjour. They don't say bonsoir as "goodbye" either. It means the same thing as bonjour, except that you say it when it's dark out (more or less). You can, though, say bonne nuit to people if you or them are going to bed.

French Canadians also say salut as hello and good bye.

Pronounced sa-lu

Giles
12-19-2015, 03:42 AM
... They don't say bonsoir as "goodbye" either. It means the same thing as bonjour, except that you say it when it's dark out (more or less).
Yes, "more or less". I once said "bon jour" to a Quebecois friend in Edmonton in June, about 4 hours before sunset (which is close to midnight there at that time of year). He corrected me to "bon soir", even though the Sun was definitely up. I responded, "c'est jour" (It's day), and he laughingly agreed. Le soir commences at about 6 p.m., regardless of where the Sun is.

Arrogance Ex Machina
12-19-2015, 04:34 AM
In Finnish:

good night = "hyv yt"
(informal) good night = "it"

good morning = "hyv huomenta"
(informal) mornin' = "huomenta"

sweet dreams = "kauniita unia"
sleep well = "nuku hyvin"

Balthisar
12-21-2015, 10:33 PM
Chinese:
Zao (good morning)
Mingtian jian (see you tomorrow)
Zai Jian (see you later, at another time)
88 ("ba ba"), (bye) (informal)
Bye-Bye (bye)
Hello (hello)

The last two are English imports, obviously. I'm not sure if "ba ba" is an English import, or just one of those similar sounds that pervades a whole lot of languages.

Siam Sam
12-21-2015, 10:45 PM
A good one in Thai is ratree sawat, which basically means "pleasant dreams."

Onomatopoeia
12-22-2015, 12:15 AM
So, how do you Dopers around the world wish your friends and loved ones a good morning and good night?Since you said friends and loved ones, I would never use the formal versions of the Japanese greetings Giles mentioned below, and rarely his informal versions.

Japanese:
Good morning: おはようございます ‎(ohayō gozaimasu). or less formal おはよう ‎(ohayō).
Good night: おやすみなさい ‎(oyasumi nasai), or less formal おやすみ ‎(oyasumi).

For morning greeting, I'd either say おは (oha) [ohayo shortened], よー!(yo!) [really hey! or what's up!], or less frequently おっす (ossu...but without aspirating the u at the end). You can even say ヤーホー! (yaho!) but be careful as this is typically used by young girls.

There are many ways friends and family members convey good night, or take care, or see ya. For 'until tomorrow' which is また明日 (mata ashita), I would simply say 明日 (ashita) [pronounced: a-shta. The 'I' is silent] For 'see ya', or 'talk to you soon' I would say either またね (mata ne), またなー (mata naa), じゃーね (jyaa ne), or じゃーなー (jyaa naa), sometimes simply じゃ (jya), or even それじゃ (sorejya).

じゃーまたね (jyaa mata ne) pushes the formality a bit too much for me, especially with close friends.

Saying おやすみ (oyasumi), and definitely おやすみなさい ‎(oyasumi nasai), feels like I am saying "I'm going to bed now", which may not be what you want to convey. In fact, it has been a very long time since I have heard anyone in real life say the full おやすみなさい ‎(oyasumi nasai), although I am sure many still do.

GuanoLad
12-22-2015, 02:25 AM
Maori: Kia Ora for "Good Morning". Ka Kite Ano for "See You Again".

zimaane
12-22-2015, 03:31 PM
In Waali, which is spoken in northwestern Ghana,

Good morning - Ansomaa ! - lit. It is well
Good night - Ke jiang song - lit. may you lie down well

In French, it's generally bonsoir if you are meeting someone in the evening, and bonne nuit to wish someone a good night's sleep.

In the morning, I don't recall ever hearing bon matin, just bonjour.

Onomatopoeia
12-22-2015, 04:30 PM
Since you said friends and loved ones, I would never use the formal versions of the Japanese greetings Giles mentioned below, and rarely his informal versions.

For morning greeting, I'd either say おは (oha) [ohayo shortened], よー!(yo!) [really hey! or what's up!], or less frequently おっす (ossu...but without aspirating the u at the end). You can even say ヤーホー! (yaho!) but be careful as this is typically used by young girls.

There are many ways friends and family members convey good night, or take care, or see ya. For 'until tomorrow' which is また明日 (mata ashita), I would simply say 明日 (ashita) [pronounced: a-shta. The 'I' is silent] For 'see ya', or 'talk to you soon' I would say either またね (mata ne), またなー (mata naa), じゃーね (jyaa ne), or じゃーなー (jyaa naa), sometimes simply じゃ (jya), or even それじゃ (sorejya).

じゃーまたね (jyaa mata ne) pushes the formality a bit too much for me, especially with close friends.

Saying おやすみ (oyasumi), and definitely おやすみなさい ‎(oyasumi nasai), feels like I am saying "I'm going to bed now", which may not be what you want to convey. In fact, it has been a very long time since I have heard anyone in real life say the full おやすみなさい ‎(oyasumi nasai), although I am sure many still do.Another very informal way to say 'talk to you soon' in Japanese, especially when texting or speaking on the phone is : よろしく (yoroshiku) [pronounced "yo-ro-shku"...the 'I' is silent], which is kind of like "Thanks, see ya." Although yoroshiku has become kind of a catch-all to mean a number of things depending on context, saying it, especially when texting or speaking on the phone conveys 'this is the end of our pleasant conversation.'

amanset
12-22-2015, 08:35 PM
Swedish.

Good morning - God morgon
Good night - God natt
Sleep well - Sov gott

Nava
12-22-2015, 11:07 PM
Swedish.

Good morning - God morgon

But they look at you funny if you say everything before noonish... in the actual morning, would be pronounced more like g'mog.

chappachula
12-23-2015, 02:31 AM
I bet I'm not the only one following this thread just to see how many obscure languages we Dopers know.

So far, there's: Maori, Waali, Fulfide.

And Welsh. (not so obscure, but I'm surprised to see that it actually has short, one-syllable words :) )

Chefguy
12-23-2015, 11:31 AM
Bambara:

I ni ce (ee nee chay) is good morning.
I ni wula is good evening.

stillownedbysetters
12-23-2015, 01:15 PM
[Minor nitpick]Morgen[Minor nitpick]

Perfectly correct. My heinous typing skills have been outed once again. I honestly need to either cut my fingernails or practice typing. :o

amanset
12-23-2015, 08:02 PM
But they look at you funny if you say everything before noonish... in the actual morning, would be pronounced more like g'mog.

I was amazed to find out (as I went to check so no one would criticise my spelling) that for such a precise language, where there is a significant movement against people spelling compound words as separate ones, god morgon/god natt and godmorgon/godnatt are accepted spellings.

Isosleepy
12-24-2015, 06:41 AM
Dutch:
Good morning: goeie morgen, or "morgen" (both colloquial)
Good night: goede nacht. (For some reason the more colloquial "goeie" doesn't seem right at night to me.
Sleep well:slaap lekker
Afrikaans
Good morning: goeie more
Good night: goeie nag
Sleep well: lekker slaap
Yiddish
Good morning: a gutn morgn
Good night : Gute naght
Sleep well: shlohf' gezunt

Peanuthead
12-24-2015, 07:44 AM
Filipino:
Good morning - Magandang umaga
Good night - Magandang gabi

Merry Christmas - Maligayang Pasko

Siam Sam
12-24-2015, 10:10 AM
One in German I remember is "Gut geschlafen." Something like "have a good sleep."

Isosleepy
12-24-2015, 11:28 AM
One in German I remember is "Gut geschlafen." Something like "have a good sleep."

Actually, that's "slept well" - often in the form of a question. You may be looking for "schlaf' gut" sleep well.

Siam Sam
12-24-2015, 11:37 AM
Yes, schlaf gut sounds familiar now. It's been awhile, and my German's rusty.

Best Topics: gayer than jokes sneezing repeatedly febreeze commercials brenda and cobina shed anchor yost surname is caucasian capitalized troy cassandra satiated vs sated girls squealing gun range cost allison stern remarried susan collins parkinsons mole removal costs edd hall dreamvacationweek complaints green flying bug caustic water insulation supports anal tampon pussy means greek owl dick taste men facial waxing vodka no hangover strongest removable adhesive mbs strengths cjc limitless saloon doors history two lane road michael cera wiki triangular knife blade somali facial features old cars with low mileage how to set draft order yahoo fantasy football why do people say happy new years why do dogs kill cats good god gertie what a gash why is engine braking prohibited dyin ain't much of a livin how to spell coordinator what is wrong with the doll on the island of misfit toys root canal vs extraction second molar lighting a cigarette with another cigarette travis pastrana no parachute what is dope rated how much is honeybaked ham per pound how long does dried pasta last getting hit in the chest between heartbeats are diuretics bad for kidneys charlton heston damn dirty apes auto ac low side pressure high wow key to the city how fast antibiotics work can pneumonia kill you can you mix ram sizes what does it feel like to bleed out toilet fills up then drains slowly what the everloving fuck can you sew iron on patches is zero a number guess how many candy in the jar can i wear steel toe boots on a plane substitute for laundry soap why does chocolate make me cough ups taking forever to deliver love shack lyrics meaning