PDA

View Full Version : YES I want to close the close the fucking window/tab!

DCnDC
10-13-2016, 09:34 AM
That's why I clicked on the little "X"!

YES I want to empty the fucking trash. That's why I clicked on the "empty trash" button!

Not every thing I do is a mistake. In fact, only a very small number of things I do daily are mistakes. I resent your assumption that everything I do is a mistake.

Fuck you and your constant confirming every god damn thing I do on the fucking computer!

That is all.

CairoCarol
10-13-2016, 10:36 AM
Are you sure you want to post this Pit thread?

CoastalMaineiac
10-13-2016, 10:56 AM
Sound like you need to give Linux a try.

Randolph
10-13-2016, 11:00 AM
This is the year of Linux on the desktop. I can feel it!

Channing Idaho Banks
10-13-2016, 11:11 AM
Especially in new email windows where I haven't even typed anything, yet.

Chimera
10-13-2016, 11:13 AM
Except the first time it happens because you accidentally clicked the X and didn't get asked if you really wanted to do that. Then your rant becomes 'why didn't they make sure I really wanted to nuke Switzerland???'

DCnDC
10-13-2016, 11:16 AM
Except the first time it happens because you accidentally clicked the X and didn't get asked if you really wanted to do that. Then your rant becomes 'why didn't they make sure I really wanted to nuke Switzerland???'

Of course I wanted to nuke Switzerland! With enemies you know where they stand, but with Neutrals, who knows? It sickens me!

Drunky Smurf
10-13-2016, 11:20 AM
Close the close!

Close the close!

Close the close!

Randolph
10-13-2016, 11:34 AM
Especially in new email windows where I haven't even typed anything, yet.

Drafts: [1]

John Mace
10-13-2016, 11:59 AM
Closing the window isn't much of a risk. Emptying the trash could be problematic.

Morgenstern
10-13-2016, 12:06 PM
I've always wondered if that wasn't a trigger for some evil thing attacking my computer.
I respond with Alt F4.

Amateur Barbarian
10-13-2016, 12:12 PM
This is the year of Linux on the desktop. I can feel it!
<fx Marvin> Oh, not another one! </fx>

ThelmaLou
10-13-2016, 12:12 PM
When I'm on my computer, I open everything in a new window. Just a quirk of mine.

When I'm on my kindle, I open everything in a new tab, because the screen is smaller.

So when I go to close a window on my kindle, I appreciate the reminder that I'm also closing 14 tabs and the question, do you really want to do that? Usually I don't.

This is useful for people who lose track of whether they're on their computer, tablet, or phone. I am one of those.

Amateur Barbarian
10-13-2016, 12:15 PM
I can't think of a tabbed interface that doesn't have an option to warn/not warn when closing multiple tabs at once.

Trinopus
10-13-2016, 04:33 PM
I've always wondered if that wasn't a trigger for some evil thing attacking my computer.
I respond with Alt F4.

What does Alt F4 do?

My first job as a Unix programmer was creating "Are you sure y/n" loops around certain rather volatile instructions. Might just possibly have saved some grief.

Sattua
10-13-2016, 04:58 PM
I endorse this rant, and silently re-enact it at least once a day.

Thudlow Boink
10-13-2016, 05:08 PM
This is useful for people who lose track of whether they're on their computer, tablet, or phone. I am one of those.I lose track of whether I'm on my computer or in the real world. It gets embarrassing when I try to click on the little X when someone's talking to me in person.

ThelmaLou
10-13-2016, 05:18 PM
I lose track of whether I'm on my computer or in the real world. It gets embarrassing when I try to click on the little X when someone's talking to me in person.Since you said that, I can confess that sometimes when I'm writing something out by hand and I pause in the middle of the word, I half expect autotext to fill in the rest of the word for me. Yeah, on the paper. I'm not making this up.

gigi
10-13-2016, 06:09 PM
Since you said that, I can confess that sometimes when I'm writing something out by hand and I pause in the middle of the word, I half expect autotext to fill in the rest of the word for me. Yeah, on the paper. I'm not making this up.

When I'm filling in a crossword puzzle, I think, hey, I better save this or I'll lose all my work. :smack:

eulalia
10-14-2016, 12:02 AM
I can't think of a tabbed interface that doesn't have an option to warn/not warn when closing multiple tabs at once.

Well, I don't get a warning when I close Firefox (running on Linux), but when I start it up again all the tabs are back anyway so it doesn't matter. I accidentally close the wrong tab occasionally both in Firefox on my desktop and in Safari on my iPad, but undoing that is easy enough.

HMS Irruncible
10-14-2016, 12:13 AM
That's why I clicked on the little "X"!

YES I want to empty the fucking trash. That's why I clicked on the "empty trash" button!

Not every thing I do is a mistake. In fact, only a very small number of things I do daily are mistakes. I resent your assumption that everything I do is a mistake.

Fuck you and your constant confirming every god damn thing I do on the fucking computer!

That is all.
It seems like your computer has rebooted itself after an abnormal shutdown. For your convenience, may I interest you in opening like every website that you've visited in the past 10 years?

friedo
10-14-2016, 08:50 AM
Of course I wanted to nuke Switzerland! With enemies you know where they stand, but with Neutrals, who knows? It sickens me!

If I don't make it, tell my wife, "hello."

JcWoman
10-14-2016, 10:02 AM
When I'm filling in a crossword puzzle, I think, hey, I better save this or I'll lose all my work. :smack:

A few years ago I helped a friend try to find her lost dog (unsuccessfully, sadly). We were so fraught that when I finally came home to take a break, I had a strong compulsion to pull up Google Maps satellite view and try to find him that way. :smack:

My Windows pet peeve is the crappy handling of double-monitor configurations when you have a docked laptop. Double monitors have been in use for what, ten years now? So why do I still have to move and resize all my open windows every time I undock or re-dock the stinking computer? It KNOWS whether it's got two monitors or just the laptop screen. I should never undock and then open the laptop in a meeting room to find windows are still on the second monitor (i.e. off the screen where I can't even reach them to drag them over). The fact that it works most of the time and only does this idiocy on occasion tells me that it CAN work. It's just buggy for some reason.

It should also "remember" the window sizes and put them back when I dock and go back to the double monitors. This is buggy too, as evidenced by the way it resizes the window back to small laptop size after I have manually resized the window and then dragged it from the first monitor to the second one. (As in: dock, resize window on monitor one, drag window over to monitor two and it "snaps" back to the small size. :mad:)

tenacious j
10-14-2016, 11:23 AM
This is me. If Switzerland gets nuked and we're still around tell them to come for me. I need to be asked twice if I really want to close. At least once a day I close outlook instead of the email I decided not to send.

A thousand times, this.

[QUOTE=JcWoman
My Windows pet peeve is the crappy handling of double-monitor configurations when you have a docked laptop. Double monitors have been in use for what, ten years now? So why do I still have to move and resize all my open windows every time I undock or re-dock the stinking computer? It KNOWS whether it's got two monitors or just the laptop screen. I should never undock and then open the laptop in a meeting room to find windows are still on the second monitor (i.e. off the screen where I can't even reach them to drag them over). The fact that it works most of the time and only does this idiocy on occasion tells me that it CAN work. It's just buggy for some reason.

It should also "remember" the window sizes and put them back when I dock and go back to the double monitors. This is buggy too, as evidenced by the way it resizes the window back to small laptop size after I have manually resized the window and then dragged it from the first monitor to the second one. (As in: dock, resize window on monitor one, drag window over to monitor two and it "snaps" back to the small size. :mad:)[/QUOTE]

Why is this even a thing? When I get back to the office my monitors are always swapped and the resolution is back to"too small." This is Windows 10 with a brand new laptop and they still haven't figured that shit out?

Dervorin
10-14-2016, 11:30 AM

This is me. If Switzerland gets nuked and we're still around tell them to come for me.

Not that I don't sympathise with this rant (seriously, how hard would it be to program something that only asks for confirmation of really important things, important being defined differently in different situations? :p) but if you give Switzerland enough warning of being nuked, they'll probably be more okay than most other countries:

http://swissinfo.ch/eng/prepared-for-anything_bunkers-for-all/995134

Typo Negative
10-14-2016, 11:49 AM
I work in an IT Helpdesk.

Not one single day passes without us getting a call that someone has accidentally deleted a critical document that they spent hours on and never saved, deleted a document critical to the business, or deleted an entire folder that multiple people use.

The obvious problem is not that it asks you if you are sure you want to delete, it's that people are NOT sure and delete it anyway.

I want these people sterilized.

Kimballkid
10-14-2016, 03:30 PM
It could be worse (http://i.amz.mshcdn.com/3_tfhu8ZV_FLHekMGcCku9cdtyA=/1438x0/2012%2F12%2F04%2F73%2Fgooglemapsg.dUg.gif).

:D

minor7flat5
10-15-2016, 07:46 PM
I dislike those "are you sure" prompts too.

In any application code where I provided such a popup dialog, I always tried to include a little checkbox that said "never show this again"

That was coupled with a help-menu option to reset the warnings.

Best Topics: demesne ck2 pi square root llama fangs drop motorcycle mine sweepers track someone down buffy bunnies longines symphonette society bowling alley installation strongest sword metal dust webs jesse custer anagram who sang i behandla wood oil ese spanish meaning colored only drink curdled milk tri edged bayonet increasing nipple sensitivity vivid hallucination truss vs rafter bullshido mcdojo 13 number vin japan sega hairy ass cracks define reservoir dogs dremel routers mcdonalds grimace flickering oil light lightning and pools saddle ring door knob coat rack is hell a bad word girl rubbing her boobs brooks t moore photo whole house fire alarm keeps going off is province the same as county cutting wellbutrin xl in half best lord of the rings music how long do manual transmissions last how to get out of the military asplundh free wood chips putting a lightbulb in your mouth how many days does it take a letter to arrive how to pronounce tbilisi wild west showdown music are all solitaire games winnable sheet metal fence designs i want to join scientology lg washer dryer combo lint removal english translation of la cucaracha us post office general delivery mike logan law and order he runs like a welshman franklin electric control box troubleshooting avia discount dental plan how to train a 2 year old german shepherd does orbital period depend on mass how to fix stripped screw hole in metal opened a can of whoopass how to remember type 1 and type 2 errors glenn shadix demolition man david blaine stephen hawking