View Single Post
Old 12-31-2014, 11:38 AM
Charter Member
I have a related question for our native Japanese posters.

Based on my idea of Japanese ultra-politeness in formal settings, I would have expected Japanese people, when receiving a gift, to be extravagantly thankful, to talk about how wonderful and special the gift is, how unworthy the recipient is of such generosity and so on. Effectively, I am extrapolating from what would be considered polite in western cultures.

However, what I've experienced in reality is that the Japanese person receiving the gift puts it aside almost immediately after the most cursory of acknowledgement. This is in the context for example of a work meeting where the visitor brings a memento from his/her home country as a gift for the host. I've noticed overseas visitors being taken aback by this seeming abruptness.

The best explanation I can think of is that the giving/receiving transaction is potentially "awkward" and the receiver is aiming to minimise any awkwardness by getting it out of the way with as little fuss as possible.

So, two questions really:
1) Is my observation correct? Is this how Japanese people generally behave when receiving a gift, or only in certain contexts?
2) Why?
Best Topics: sudafed cost squirrel fur coat vw shift pattern discharge behind ears bbq candle old lite brite mogwai rules neon glass repair music in dreams bachem macuno poseur vs poser lifesaver candy roll police collar frank sinatra era mommy's all right father mulcahy quotes ingest glass vai nium vanilla living polymaths flee circus malibu chaser nguyen pronounce combat load chicken soft bone flip tempurpedic mattress who originally sang ipass replacement adult auction bulb keeps blowing popeye arms disease tessmacher superman frazier cheers mixing viscosities sweeping vacuuming fridge next to dishwasher 1060 w addison st do mosquitoes bite through clothes how to ask for positive feedback on ebay is pool a sport best way to get rid of cigarette breath max ac vs ac diebold safe deposit boxes window too big for ac unit alternative career for software engineers how to light a fart on fire white stuff on cheese plunger measuring cup bed bath and beyond merry go rounds and carousels what is papi in english convert gas fireplace back to wood i want to dye my beard white where can i buy molasses why do we have two kidneys snopes abc bans flag pins csc service works add money swiss army cavalry watch battery thai massage back crack what age is juniors clothing for ahora vengo mama chola mama chola what to do if flea medicine doesn't work smell behind my ears correct episode order firefly sentence that has every letter in the alphabet pbs manor house where are they now dr girlfriend voice actor will sesame seeds affect a drug test santa fe to albuquerque distance