View Single Post
Old 01-01-2015, 08:06 PM
In my experience most Japanese will not respond verbally to this at all. It totally depends upon who you're "thanking."

Someone at the corner convenience store will merely nod (maybe) and as you walk out, will shout in a loud voice (to nobody -- it's a robotic response) "Arizatozaimashtaaaaaah" just like all his/her colleagues.

If you are a foreigner, a normal Japanese will never respond with "iiee," "Iya" (I would say more possible) and CERTAINLY not "tonedemonai" or "dou itashimashite."

Excessive bowing will definitely take those places, or merely a rigid smile and a fervent wish for you and your foreignness to depart as quickly as possible.

Please do NOT say things like "arigatou gozaimashita" to store clerks; it's bizarre and unnatural. Don't even bother with "arigatou." A simple "doumou" will be precisely what you should say and what they will expect.

To this you should expect no verbal response past perhaps a "hai" or most probably, nothing at all.
Best Topics: evian ice shrek says donkey hungary huns neocon wiki dxm eyes presto burger maker mel zetz drink pool water cheers artwork fuck mothers day radium dial animes with catgirls bagged milk school baron from dune vauxhall pronunciation peanut shells edible eyeglass screws nod tm 2nd grader jokes stargate sg1 nude mechanic tip ecm furnace ergot rye selling furs slow cranking starter trafficinside me miss teschmacher grav3yardgirl teeth evolution of cabbage words to farajaka shaw school place quid dollars trim trees near power lines how to start bartending without experience importing cars from australia to usa how much does cocaine weigh skate 2 vs skate 3 how to crack si joint are viking funerals illegal drink a fifth in one night shit eating grin origin difference between rock and rock and roll sprouted onions safe to eat what are keys to the city early male pattern baldness how to trace electrical circuit engineering management masters worth it rid x septic reviews how do land surveys work a tale of two sisters explanation cleaning cat teeth necessary best place to get your car painted how can i find out if someone has died recently is outlook secure for gmail mr barky von schnauzer commercial highest number in roman numerals how much is a new heater core tub inserts home depot sixes and sevens and nines does italian dressing go bad how much does it cost to subdivide a property does ambien show up on a drug test engine revs up and down how does chloroform work why do light bulbs burn out when you turn them on furniture cloth dust covers