View Single Post
Old 01-01-2015, 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Dreams View Post
Polite maybe, but Kansai is a very large region to attribute the usage of "Ookini" for "Thanks". Geishas in Gion for sure and pockets of shitamachi areas in Osaka perhaps, but even then it's used by the older generation and usually between customers and shops that are familiar with each other.
I hate to derail this thread again with a (very) minor disagreement, but I think you underestimate how common ookini is. I hear it frequently not only in Osaka and Kyoto, but also in Nara and parts of Mie. Even here, in southern Gifu, I hear it on occasion, though very rarely. There's certainly a big age/occupation bias in usage but as discussions like this one hint, it's still used by younger people and outside of Osaka and Kyoto.

And to add to what you wrote on arigatou gozaimasu vs arigatou gozaimashita, here's an example:

- Here, let me carry those heavy bags for you.
- Arigatou gozaimasu <- Can't use gozaimashita because you're thankful for something that hasn't happened yet.

- I left the bags in your room.
- Arigatou gozaimashita. <- The action is completed. Gozaimasu could be used also.

There aren't many situations where arigatou gozaimasu would be inappropriate but I can think of one: thanking someone who is leaving, or who you are leaving. E.g. thanking a colleague who is retiring, or graduating students thanking a teacher. Using the present/future tense would be odd.
Best Topics: moose squirrel naval bombardment liquid bandage burns manhattan grocery stores medieval gas mask making sunglasses prescription marching chants funny three phase symbol holden caulfield gay bona fides pronunciation floatation bed digger o dell sell outdated textbooks media mail time navy or airforce bad boy slang libertine club buy salicylic acid windows xp music xanax and grapefruit urine athlete's foot refrigerator fan sacre bleu meaning uncanny resemblance 60s nostalgia biff nickname roommate define simon bar sinister fix cassette tapes bad santa assclown memphis fuck jupiter from mars police hubcaps outcall definition unbroken geode retarded dads roberta pedon wikipedia whole geodes for sale glasses for one eye blue bloods nicky annoying code word for sex kip addotta wet dreams how much is a head of cattle movies with train in the title songs that start with the letter x how to tell if router is dying keep door open for cat can i laminate my social security card living alone in the woods statute of limitations on bad checks do dog whistles work on cats air canada vs american airlines goldfish released into the wild what is a manhattan sandwich separate methanol from ethanol chicken in a bisket jos a bank alterations never go home again biggest balloons in hollywood how long is a couple of weeks i've never smoked but i crave cigarettes the rooster crows at midnight meaning can you eat lemon seeds how to keep pizza warm prid drawing salve target security camera cable extension radio shack dishwater blonde hair color