Old 06-18-2015, 06:45 AM
BANNED
shave or buzz head for balding?

What do you think is best? Buzz it very short or just razor shave it off? I am at the point where it's about that time. Do you think a razor shaved head is perceived as someone just trying to hide the fact?

I've tried both but not sure which to stay with.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:36 AM
It depends on your head shape. If you can pull off the completely shaved look (and are willing to shave every day), go for it. With the buzz, you can kind of compensate if your head is a little oddly shaped. Protip: cut the top part a little longer.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:38 AM
Graphite is a great
Not a General Question but rather looking for opinions. Moved.

samclem, moderator
Old 06-18-2015, 07:38 AM
Charter Member
Buzz cut for me. Too lazy to shave every day.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:53 AM
Buzz for me. It never fails to bemuse me when they ask what I'm having and I say one and a half please (buzzer setting) they then ask "All over?". If I had an all over I might not be having the buzz! I only have back and sides left.............
Old 06-18-2015, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by perc' View Post
What do you think is best? Buzz it very short or just razor shave it off? I am at the point where it's about that time. Do you think a razor shaved head is perceived as someone just trying to hide the fact?

I've tried both but not sure which to stay with.
Here's a Wall Street Journal article on the subject. It talks about how different levels of baldness are perceived, including the shaved look: http://wsj.com/articles/SB100008...32541863652264

My username is french for "Bald." What little peachfuzz is left on top, I shave. Then I have the barber cut the back and sides very short. As the above article notes, the main thing is not to leave the back and sides long and end up looking like "Seinfeld" character George Costanza.

ETA: I see that the article is behind a subscriber block. To read it, google "RACHEL EMMA SILVERMAN & baldness & WSJ"

Last edited by Chauve; 06-18-2015 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:07 AM
"Do you think a razor shaved head is perceived as someone just trying to hide the fact?"

Yes.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:14 AM
Charter Member
The key thing is to look groomed, and NOT to look like you're trying to hide something.

Thus:

Comb-over bad,:you're not fooling anyone.

Long skinny pony-tail + mail pattern baldness: too busy/lazy/something else to get a hair cut?

Bad toupee: who do you think you're fooling?

Bald: good, you're keeping your head neat and clean.

Buzzcut: you visit a barber regularly and aren't trying to hide your male pattern baldness.

Good toupee: if it's really good you can can't tell it's a wig.

Note this has to do with how I personally perceive men as business people/competent human beings. I don't personally find bald sexy/attractive, although if the rest of the guy is a good deal I can overlook it. I might want to hang out socially with someone with sloppy hair, but that doesn't mean I'd consider doing business with such a person, particularly in any sort of professional context.

Bald takes a bit more maintenance than buzz, but it looks neater. Buzz still looks neat and groomed without requiring daily attention.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:28 AM
I shaved my head completely a few months ago because of alopecia areata. At first, I was shaving every day, but it got old very quickly. It takes a long-ass time, even with a HeadBlade. Now I shave once or twice a week, plus days when I have business appointments.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:42 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
I don't personally find bald sexy/attractive.
how come ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChileanBlob View Post
It depends on your head shape. If you can pull off the completely shaved look.
you think I can do it? my head is bit dented on the right hand side front but I don't think its that noticeable is in real life..

https://dropbox.com/s/nag2qrwlowg986n/1b.jpg?dl=0
https://dropbox.com/s/rn7x0y6sz2b2175/2.jpg?dl=0
https://dropbox.com/s/dbf4ects1xzpoe3/1.jpg?dl=0
https://dropbox.com/s/1ico2310viqvh5n/3.jpg?dl=0
Old 06-18-2015, 10:43 AM
IMHO, you have a well-shaped head and you'll be fine fully shaved.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:10 AM
Charter Member
Shave it off. Bald men are sexy.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:15 AM
born to be shunned
For me (and looking at the pictures I would say you as well) I went buzz. Basically I keep it around a quarter inch. Without it I look like some odd cross between Uncle Fester and Charlie Brown. I'm afraid, based on the pictures, that fully shaved may not be a good look for you either. And deff not shaved with just a stubble beard. That one looks like it needs arrest numbers under it.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:30 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
And deff not shaved with just a stubble beard. That one looks like it needs arrest numbers under it.
LOL but ive always heard the ladies like the bad boys.

I think I look like shit with a clean shaven face.

Last edited by perc'; 06-18-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:30 AM
I used to shave my head, and at the time it was still relatively uncommon so women were always asking to touch it, but it became a PITA (plus, married and surprisingly my wife didn't think other women stroking my head and going "Ooo, it's so soft! " was nearly as entertaining as I thought it was. Go figure!) I'll still go cue ball occasionally but my normal routine is now once a week or so I'll zip it down with clippers on zero, basically peach fuzz.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:50 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
I used to shave my head, and at the time it was still relatively uncommon so women were always asking to touch it, but it became a PITA (plus, married and surprisingly my wife didn't think other women stroking my head and going "Ooo, it's so soft! " was nearly as entertaining as I thought it was. Go figure!.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:16 PM
I buzz my hair once a week, which I find immensely convenient. You can't go that long shaving it, because you'd go from completely bald to stubble to a tiny bit of hair every week. That seems like an extremely sloppy look to me.

On the other hand, by buzzing it once a week my hair goes from 1/8th of an inch to about 3/16th of an inch in a week. Maybe a 1/4 inch. I never really measured.

The point is I don't really think anyone can really even see a difference from day 1 to day 7, which makes it nice and low maintenance for me.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:07 PM
I buzz my head with my Wahl clipper every week with a 1/16" guide. Takes a couple of minutes, everything comes out neat and even. I've never shaved my head but it seems like it'd be a bit of a hassle, plus as noted the difference between "totally shaved" and "a couple days stubble" will be pretty obvious. I've never nicked myself with a clipper, either :-)

I do shave my face and I can accurately shave a neat line on the back of my neck which keeps things tidy.

Regardless, I just like having my hair very short. Looks and feels good and makes it really quick to wash up.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:15 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
I don't personally find bald sexy/attractive
Quote:
how come ?
Because I don't.

I prefer men with hair. I prefer brunettes. I prefer men close to my height or shorter rather than a lot taller than me. It's just a personal preference.

As noted, a guy being bald isn't a deal-killer for me, I just don't find the look particularly attractive. When well done it's not repulsive, either. I've dated someone really tall, someone blond, I don't expect perfection. I never dated a bald guy but a few more years and I'll be married to one, I'm not going to throw him out due to lack of hair. Wouldn't ask him to wear a wig, either - how he wears (or doesn't) his hair is his business.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:02 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Because I don't.

I prefer men close to my height or shorter rather than a lot taller than me.
that's odd.

Last edited by perc'; 06-18-2015 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:10 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgard View Post
I buzz my head with my Wahl clipper every week with a 1/16" guide. Takes a couple of minutes, everything comes out neat and even. I've never shaved my head but it seems like it'd be a bit of a hassle.
buzzing it is much more of a hassle. With shaving you just jump in the shower and 2 minutes later you're done and nothing to clean up..
Old 06-18-2015, 02:34 PM
born to be shunned
Quote:
buzzing it is much more of a hassle. With shaving you just jump in the shower and 2 minutes later you're done and nothing to clean up..
I have a small stool (Hirsh Tool Stool actually) to sit on and set it in the middle of an old sheet. Two or three minutes (OK - maybe 5 tops if my ears give me issues) and it hits the laundry and I hit the shower. No muss and little fuss. I use an old Oster model 830-01.

(But in interest of full disclosure I have been mostly doing my own hair since like 1976. Even when it was longer and full across the top)
Old 06-18-2015, 02:34 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
I prefer men close to my height or shorter rather than a lot taller than me.
Quote:
that's odd.
Yes, well, it's not the first time I've been told I'm a little weird...

How about we go with "unusual"?
Old 06-18-2015, 02:48 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
I use an old Oster model 830-01.
this is awesome for buzzing your hair
http://amazon.com/Conair-Hc900-E...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Last edited by perc'; 06-18-2015 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:13 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member
I'll cut my husband's hair with a #1 guard on the clippers - all over, including the sideburns. He trims his own beard and keeps it a bit longer than that. When the hair on his head gets to be about 3/8" long, I call him a hippie, and we get out the clippers. This is the easiest and cheapest alternative for us. At our age, easy and cheap are important!
Old 06-18-2015, 03:32 PM
BANNED
Q: Will your head look good cue-ball style & with cheesey $5 sunglasses that make your head look the same put on forwards or backwards?

[Size:1]Well, so much for lunch...[/size]
Old 06-18-2015, 03:35 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
Just shave it. I've been razoring my head for over a decade, and it takes only a minute if you do it in the shower. I also have discovered that shaving every other day is quite fine, and no-one can tell the difference.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:02 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
At our age, easy and cheap are important!
easy and cheap is important at any mans age

Last edited by perc'; 06-18-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:24 PM
BANNED
I've found the cure!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=cgru3d9GZQ0
Old 06-18-2015, 04:59 PM
Charter Member
I've been weighing the nuclear option for a while now. My hair, never what you'd call thick and luxurious even in my mullety teens, is now just a sprinkle of sad cobwebs on the sandstone outcrop of my skull. Rogaine was a bust, and Propecia was a brief, terrifying foray into the magical world of impotence. I'm resigned to my fate.

The wife insists it's not buzz-time yet, but maybe she shares my trepidation that I'll end looking a lot more like the aforementioned Uncle Fester than, say, Jason Statham.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:01 PM
Quote:
this is awesome for buzzing your hair
http://amazon.com/Conair-Hc900-E...ct_top?ie=UTF8
Might just have to purchase one of those....
Having done both shaving and buzzing, they are about the same amount of time. My issue was the extra aftershave lotion or moisturizer/sunscreen I had to put on my scalp when I shaved regularly.

You won't know until you try, VT. And it'll sorta grow back so nothing ventured....
FWIW, I look more like Statham... At least that's what SWMBO says.

Last edited by swampspruce; 06-18-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:06 PM
Being a child of the 60s, I keep the hair I have left a bit long.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:17 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Propecia was a brief, terrifying foray into the magical world of impotence.
haha

Last edited by perc'; 06-18-2015 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:33 PM
Quote:
This has been my experience. I have been buzzing or shaving my head since about 2003. I do not have male pattern baldness so much as just generally thinner all over. IMHO, I look a little better with some hair vs. a smooth razor shave but I love the way smooth feels and I shave in the shower so there's no additional cleanup. When I buzz it there's hair all over the sink and bathroom floor which means I have to drag out the shop vac and spend five-ten minutes cleaning up the clippers, guards and room.

Actually, I've learned to drag the shop vac out first to avoid tracking hair out of the bathroom.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:49 PM
BANNED
We don't think Broomstick is odd; well not the way you mean.

Quote:
easy and cheap is important at any mans age
Just wear Axe Cologne & dont sweat your hair. Do you have any heavy gold jewelry?

*taking 3:2 odds on yes*
Old 06-18-2015, 06:05 PM
I've never understood why people say bald guys that shave their head are trying to hide the fact. I have a completely full head of hair, but I shaved it a few times when I was in the Army so I wouldn't have to worry about being out of regulation for a while. I mean if you still have your hair, even if you shave it completely you can still see the little hair follicles, I mean I never Bic'd my head with an actual razor blade but I imagine if I did you'd still that little "shadow " of hair so you'd know I wasn't really bald.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
This has been my experience. I have been buzzing or shaving my head since about 2003. I do not have male pattern baldness so much as just generally thinner all over. IMHO, I look a little better with some hair vs. a smooth razor shave but I love the way smooth feels and I shave in the shower so there's no additional cleanup. When I buzz it there's hair all over the sink and bathroom floor which means I have to drag out the shop vac and spend five-ten minutes cleaning up the clippers, guards and room.

Actually, I've learned to drag the shop vac out first to avoid tracking hair out of the bathroom.
I use the clippers in my workshop (wife hates finding any stray clippings in the sink so I no longer buzz myself in the bathroom) and I crank up my dust collector when I'm done. Vacuum the floor, the clipper and my head for good measure.

It's like the New Yankee Workshop & the Flowbee had a kid
Old 06-18-2015, 09:56 PM
Get one of these and buzz it once a week on 0.5 (the green guide) with the lever all the way up. That’s one-sixteenth of an inch. Looks neat and clean and you get less of the “blinded by the shine” effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
I just do it out in the driveway and let the wind clean it up.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:54 PM
I just shave mine once a week. By the end of the week I look buzzed. Nobody expects my head to look freshly shaved daily.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:20 PM
I buzz mine to something like a 5 o'clock shadow once a week. The cue ball is a little harder to pull off and a bit higher maintenance, but the buzz is more messy. You'll figure out what you like best. Welcome to the world of never buying shampoo or paying for a haircut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey View Post
Shave it off. Bald men are sexy.
Well, hello.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
I'll cut my husband's hair with a #1 guard on the clippers - all over, including the sideburns. He trims his own beard and keeps it a bit longer than that. When the hair on his head gets to be about 3/8" long, I call him a hippie, and we get out the clippers. This is the easiest and cheapest alternative for us. At our age, easy and cheap are important!
This is pretty much me. When I start looking like a "damn hippy," my wife gets out the clippers, puts on a #2, and buzzes my head. I then maintain my beard to be the same length. Easy-peasy. My hair from crown to chin is just an even layer of fuzz.

Then I razor shave the 12-24 sad little hairs sprouting in the middle of my forehead-- where my hairline used to be a decade ago. They're just...sad.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:15 AM
BANNED
I used to have hair like david becham now I have hair like Ami James...

http://andreshernandez.net/blog/wp-c...-1-600x900.jpg

http://andreshernandez.net/blog/wp-c...mes_2087-1.jpg

and note the clean shaven head and stubble beard there Kopek
yes he may look as though he needs some arrest numbers under one of those pictures too but Ami gets the ladies!

Last edited by perc'; 06-19-2015 at 04:19 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:23 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
I mean I never Bic'd my head with an actual razor blade but I imagine if I did you'd still that little "shadow " of hair so you'd know I wasn't really bald.
Ya you would still have the shadow.. that's actually what scalp micro pigmentation procedure simulates..

I was talking about guys who are obviously balding and shave their heads. They're not trying to hide the fact they're just trying to make it look better. I've grown my hair out to like 2 weeks before... then I shaved it clean and it clearly looks better clean shaven.

This: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...1658045f6c.jpg

Or this: http://splendidtable.org/sites/d...ew_Zimmern.jpg

I rest my case.

Last edited by perc'; 06-19-2015 at 04:28 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:13 AM
I had no idea scalp micropigmentation was a thing. Shaving your head if you are bald is fine, but tattooing your entire head to hide it is just ridiculous, I looked at some of the before/after pics and these guys look so goofy.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:59 AM
BANNED
a good SMP procedure is completely undetectable and looks just like a full head of shaven hair.. It's usually the hair line that is too straight that makes it look strange. but some look pretty good

http://smpdebate.com/wp-content/...smp-result.jpg

Last edited by perc'; 06-19-2015 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:07 AM
I'll stick with the buzz. Shaving seems like too much of a PITA. My wife never buzzes it short enough for me, but she's the one that need to look at me. She seems to think my skull wouldn't be tan (duh) and odd shaped.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:55 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerwam View Post
She seems to think my skull wouldn't be tan (duh) and odd shaped.
there's not much difference between a buzz and a shave.. at a #0 or #1 buzz you're skull shape is still completely seen.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:57 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
a good SMP procedure is completely undetectable and looks just like a full head of shaven hair.. It's usually the hair line that is too straight that makes it look strange. but some look pretty good

http://smpdebate.com/wp-content/...smp-result.jpg
And you don't want the faux-hairline so low that it covers up the big "L."
Old 06-19-2015, 10:03 AM
I shave but usually once a week, sometimes two.

Debbie Davies had a song "Bald Headed Baby," in which she talks about her man who "...knows how to please, top of his head looks like one of my knees..."
Old 06-19-2015, 10:20 AM
I buzz at home with clippers with no guard but extended as far as it goes without a guard. I should do it more often, but I end up going over with the clippers every few weeks. I don't have the discipline / time in the morning to deal with shaving. A quick buzz is quick, looks fine and doesn't look like I'm hiding it. I went bald in my mid 20s, and started buzzing it as soon as it started to look too thin, almost combover like. Didn't want that look for sure. Now, I frankly love it...never have to dry my hair, never have to comb my hair. Only downside is sunburn, but I've gotten to a point where I ALWAYS have a hat in my car, so that if I'm going to be outside for any length of time, I put a hat on. If I don't, my head fries FAST.