Old 10-11-2015, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
Eddie started of as basically a bum like Brian, why should we not expect both of them to do the same?
I'm not saying otherwise. In the movie, Eddy did not reverse engineer the drug. He made a shitload of money and had a lab work on the problem. Brian can do that too, he just has to do it under the nose of his handlers.

Last edited by CarnalK; 10-11-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:14 AM
Can't Brian take five minutes out of his Junior Justice League duties of Wrong-Righting to find out who the fuck Sands is?

Further, this bit with the mouse DNA strongly suggest that putting Brian to work sorting garbage is a truly preposterous waste of his abilities. Doesn't the FBI realize this?
Old 10-15-2015, 07:50 AM
Charter Member
My guess is that Brian will enlist the guy who is researching aging in mice to help him with needing the shot regularly. Perhaps he'll be able to rejigger NZT so that the shot is no longer necessary (or that the effects are permanent).
Old 10-15-2015, 07:57 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Can't Brian take five minutes out of his Junior Justice League duties of Wrong-Righting to find out who the fuck Sands is?

Further, this bit with the mouse DNA strongly suggest that putting Brian to work sorting garbage is a truly preposterous waste of his abilities. Doesn't the FBI realize this?
Most shows that feature a hyper-intelligent personality do it one of two ways-they either use craploads of pseudoscience and pseudologic that wouldn't work in the real world, or they surround the star with morons that make him look hyper-intelligent in comparison.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:16 AM
It's really hard to make a convincing genius. You have to somehow find a way to make something smarter than the average person, but still understandable when explained. Which usually takes a genius to figure out. So if your writers aren't geniuses, and want to be understood by nongeniuses, they have to dumb it down, mostly for themselves.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:36 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
It's really hard to make a convincing genius. You have to somehow find a way to make something smarter than the average person, but still understandable when explained. Which usually takes a genius to figure out. So if your writers aren't geniuses, and want to be understood by nongeniuses, they have to dumb it down, mostly for themselves.
And to appeal to the widest possible audience, they dumb it down a lot. Yeah, it takes an I.Q. of a hyperEinstein to devise an elaborate escape plan that consists of...jumping down a laundry chute.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:43 AM
Charter Member
And then he walked out the fire exit in the ground-floor laundry room. He didn't need the FBI agent at all to get out of the building.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:17 AM
Any one watch this week? WTF?

Either Sands is off the leash or Morra is not a good guy. I'm also wondering if Naz is in on it, either with Morra or with whoever started the NZT bake off in the first place.

I keep waiting for Brian's reasoning to be applied to things like who made NZT in the first place, or creating a poison pill file that would be released in the event of his death or disappearance, so he would have some leverage on Morra. He never seems to think long term, which is annoying.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:12 AM
Charter Member
Reading this thread, I guess I am alone. While I like the main characters and I like the crime-of-the-week part of the show, I've got no interest in the conspiracy theory, bigger picture part. I'd be more than happy if they just dropped it and went to Brian solving the crime of the week every week.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:19 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarinth View Post
Reading this thread, I guess I am alone. While I like the main characters and I like the crime-of-the-week part of the show, I've got no interest in the conspiracy theory, bigger picture part. I'd be more than happy if they just dropped it and went to Brian solving the crime of the week every week.
And seeing what he's done with his supposedly incredible intellect so far, maybe they could retitle the show "Not Quite As Limited".
Old 10-29-2015, 02:59 PM
Quote:
I realize of course that it is subjective but I couldn't disagree more. What I like about this show is that it isn't just another crime of the week. In fact, what I like is that in the past couple of episodes the crime has been either the lesser story or non-existent.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:20 PM
Morra's motivation needs some clarification, i.e. the reason he's indulging Brian at all (as opposed to any of thousands of people he could give NZT to who are already in useful positions in government or law enforcement) is that Brian is one of very few people who can safely take NZT even with the occasional immunity shot. Morra could have found this out while checking Brian's father's medical records and the same genetic defect that causes haemochromatosis makes it possible to take NZT etc.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:55 AM
SDSAB
I'm still watching, but it's mostly a letdown after the movie (which I liked very much indeed). Brian's rooftop meeting with Morra was a disappointment. Paraphrase:

Morra: "I want you to be my partner."
Brian: "After you threatened my family and my girlfriend, had me steal secret documents that could get me sent to prison, and nearly let me die?"
Morra: "Yeah, sure, but I'm working on such really nifty save-the-world stuff, just never mind all that."
Brian: "Oh, OK. We're cool, then, bro."

I also agree that Brian isn't being nearly proactive enough in trying to break his dependence on NZT, or to neutralize Sands (who I thought, before Morra mentioned him by name, might not actually be Morra's minion but was instead running a false-flag operation) or get some leverage over Morra. I don't mind ambiguities and mysteries (if eventually explained); I hate needless implausibilities, and characters who have to act stoopid in order to advance the plot.

And now Sands has killed the hiding scientist with a letter bomb. More blood on Morra's hands? Ugh.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:21 PM
I like that the show doesn't take itself seriously all the time and isn't afraid to just have fun stuff happen. Like the Ferris Bueller inspired episode that just ran. That was all sorts of fun to watch.

Did the movie have any of that sort of tone to it? From the trailers I get the impression that it didn't but sometimes trailers have been known to not accurately represent the movie in question (shocking, I know).
Old 11-06-2015, 05:26 PM
SDSAB
The movie certainly had some darkly funny bits (esp. the package marked "Hand Delivery"), and was occasionally tongue-in-cheek, but was mostly serious. Definitely worth seeing!

The latest episode was OK, I guess. Just not all that great IMHO. The Ferris Bueller homage aspect of it fell flat for me.

Turns out Skeletonwitch really is a group: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeletonwitch

And pokeweed really isn't good for you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokewe..._and_mortality

And that Penna. wilderness area really does exist: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegh...nds_Wilderness
Old 11-12-2015, 04:29 PM
SDSAB
So Naz, the boss, is dragged off and held without counsel under the NDAA, and temporarily replaced by that smarmy lawyer from The Practice (or was it Boston Legal?). Not the worst episode, but not the best. Some nice sparks between the boss's daughter and Brian, I guess.

Have they ever said what "CJC" (the New York FBI office) stands for? Can't find it online.

Of course I'm surprised that the Schoolgirl Reaper pinball game didn't end up in every arcade in the world....
Old 11-12-2015, 05:47 PM
I liked last night's episode, although it wasn't the best episode ever.

I like they have micro evolution to the bit characters. Ike wasn't a big fan of Brian early on, but now he goofs around with him (with Mike and Ike's no less). This seems very real to me. The show doesn't need it, but it adds to the atmosphere and makes the characters believable and likable.

I really hope it gets renews. Blindspot recently got renewed. Its rating are much higher than Limitless, but still I'm hoping for some good news sometime soon.

Last edited by BeepKillBeep; 11-12-2015 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:43 PM
SDSAB
Much as I loved the movie, the TV show has been a letdown. I wouldn't shed any tears if it wasn't renewed.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:48 AM
Last night's was fun, though I saw the Greenland ending coming a mile away and didn't like the resolution with the father. In real life you have to accept you don't get to know everything about your kids, especially after they're adults. Someone in his 60s or 79s pouting to this extent is just nuts.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:37 PM
SDSAB
I dunno, some parents are just like that. I'm a little surprised that Finch would tell him about NZT, though.

This was a better episode than the Ferris Beuller one, I thought. I wasn't crazy about the pestering-Naz montage which opened the show, but the Ten Most Wanted project was good fun. Nice shoutout to The Abyss with Finch doing CPR on Naz by the pool. Best line: "I'm not pink, am I?"

But why "the Bruntouchables" as a group name?
Old 11-18-2015, 12:41 PM
SDSAB
And hey, that's Blair Brown (Altered States, Fringe) as Finch's mom!
Old 11-18-2015, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
But why "the Bruntouchables" as a group name?
Portmanteau of Brian and Untouchables.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:49 AM
SDSAB
Ugh. That's bad.

Well, the last episode of this season has aired. Not bad - Finch helps figure out why advanced prosthetic arms are going wonky. Favorite moments: Brian is advised by a hacker named AndrewJackson'sGoiter, and the FBI sends mass quantities of bacon and vibrators to get a fugitive deported from the UAE. Less favorite moments: Finch's dad warns/threatens Naz (yeah, that'll turn out well), and Brian uses a jet pack to run along the street. Riiiiight.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:39 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Well, the last episode of this season has aired.
CBS gave them a full season order. They should have another 10-12 episodes to go before the end of the season.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:20 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Less favorite moments: Finch's dad warns/threatens Naz (yeah, that'll turn out well), and Brian uses a jet pack to run along the street. Riiiiight.
Yeah, the jetpack test was silly. It might allow him to use skates to move really fast but how does it improve the speed at which he can run? And what happens in the city when he comes to an intersection, and the DONT WALK sign is lit?
Old 11-28-2015, 11:10 AM
Quote:
CBS gave them a full season order. They should have another 10-12 episodes to go before the end of the season.
And there should be a new one on tomorrow night, before the winter break, no?

Some episodes are better than others, but it's still my favorite new network series this year. It's a lot of fun if you go with it, and I'm glad the writers are infusing it with some fun.

Far better than Blindspot, IMHO.

Last edited by cmyk; 11-28-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Yeah, the jetpack test was silly. It might allow him to use skates to move really fast but how does it improve the speed at which he can run?
Apparently it can "shave seconds" off of a running time. Yep, that jetpack's a real thing that DARPA's working on. I squeed a bit when I saw it in the lab during the show.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:53 PM
SDSAB
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limitless_(TV_series)

Wiki shows no new episodes anytime soon. Maybe there'll be a hiatus of weeks or months?
Old 11-30-2015, 01:18 PM
Charter Member
I caught a few minutes of this at the gym the other night. I did rather enjoy the part where he explains how much more BORING hacking is than what is usually depicted on television, although his complete unawareness of the concept of hacking was a little hard to swallow (assuming it hadn't been established at some point why it would make sense). I can't say that it hooked me, but it didn't exactly put me off, either.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:05 PM
SDSAB
Just realized the show has resumed. Saw "The Assassination of Eddie Morra" on DVR and was underwhelmed. I still don't like Morra having become an utterly amoral power-hungry politician - at least in the movie he had some scruples. Not sure I'll keep watching.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:55 PM
Are the writers trying to alienate the people watching this show?

This last episode, ugh. I think they are trying to hard to be cute and are falling way short.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:31 PM
SDSAB
Agreed. The babytalk substitution-words for rape, murder, semen etc. was just stoopid.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Agreed. The babytalk substitution-words for rape, murder, semen etc. was just stoopid.
yeah - and it got annoying fast - but the elevator scene was worth all of it.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
yeah - and it got annoying fast - but the elevator scene was worth all of it.
Maybe it's because I am sick, but I giggled every time they said serial-hugger.

I didn't like the movie and started watching the TV series because of Jennifer Carpenter, I like that they are taking a silly premise and being silly with it. I won't cry when it ends, but it's an enjoyable 44 minutes on a Wednesday night.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:27 PM
We were happy to see the episodes resume.

I'm still not sure what's going on with Eddie. We know what Brian thinks, but I kinda thought chickie-baby was a little nutso myself.

I still think it's better than Blindspot. My eyes hurt from rolling after I watch that one. Of course, we do still watch it.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:47 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordPrefect View Post
Maybe it's because I am sick, but I giggled every time they said serial-hugger.
Same.

It was on the silly side, but as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I like the sillier sides of the show.

I'm beginning to be more tolerant of the Morra side of the show; I like the contrast the show pointed out between Morra (who wants to be a completely different person than he used to be) and Brian (who liked himself before - so he wants to stay who he is, only a "better" version) and how that informs how each of them uses the drug. But I still really don't want that to take over the show. And I'm concerned that with the current pace of that storyline, it's going to have to soon.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:25 AM
Anyone still watching this show? It has been getting really surprisingly good since the new year started. Lots less adventure of the week, lots more big plot line. It's not amazing television, but it's super fun.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:55 AM
SDSAB
I haven't gone back, for the reasons I said upthread. Maybe I'll catch up with it on DVD someday.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:09 AM
It's my favorite show on TV right now. We're getting close to the end of the first season, and I can only hope that they don't manage to screw it up next season.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:12 AM
Charter Member
They're really good at setting up cliffhangers that you really don't know how they'll play out. It's compelling. And silly in ways that make me love it.

There's so much good TV!
Old 03-16-2016, 10:06 AM
Still watching. Still loving it!
Old 11-26-2016, 11:01 AM
SDSAB
Bump.

The show was cancelled after one season: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limitless_(TV_series)

I see the episode descriptions there on the Wiki page; spoil it for me with any other tidbits you'd like for eps. 14-22 (which I didn't watch), please.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:12 PM
SDSAB
Should've added, specifically as to Sen. Morra, his scheming/manuevering, and his campaign for President.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Should've added, specifically as to Sen. Morra, his scheming/manuevering, and his campaign for President.
The show finished pretty strong. It's sort of a shame it was canceled, but it wrapped up somewhat satisfyingly. I would say it's probably worth going back and watching the last 5ish episodes. I'll take a look and see what a good start point will be and if there is anything you would need to know that happened in between where you left off and that point I'll let you know.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:46 PM
Ok, so if you are really interested in how things shake out episodes 18-22 form a complete story that wraps the show up. Episode 16 is also pretty good and worth watching if you can but can be skipped. As can the rest of the season if you really don't want to watch. But honestly you quit watching before the strongest episodes of the season. Pretty much everything after episode 12 or so was better than the first 12 episodes and the final 5 episodes were very very good storytelling.

They had finally figured out how to tell stories in this world. It really is a shame it fell apart.

Last edited by NAF1138; 11-27-2016 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:37 AM
SDSAB
Thanks.

Quote:
Go ahead and spoil it for me, please.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:06 PM
It took me a really long time to get back to this, sorry.

I think that the show continued doing a really strong job of balancing the arc, and telling weekly stories. It was quirky, which I liked. It also let things progress. We weren't stuck in the same place forever.

Brian calls Morris on his bullshit. Morra puts a lot of the blame on Sands, but we don't really know if that's accurate. If I recall correctly, Morra was in hiding while they tracked down Sands and his network. It's unclear what was going to happen with the presidential run. Is Morra a good guy, completely amoral, or just someone who is willing to be good for the sake of his wife (which was always my favorite interpretation)?

Rebecca figures out that Brian is up to something and calls him on his bullshit. Again, the show didn't spin endlessly and stagnate. I appreciated that.

Brian grew up a little. He did some really stupid things along the way and put people in danger that he didn't need to (like sharing too much with his dad, or letting his sister see more than she should have), but he did eventually figure out that he needed to have more personal agency and stop coasting.

I think the series stopped in a decent place. Brian has his job back. Sands is caught. There are a lot of open questions though, and I really wish the series had continued. I enjoyed the show very much.

This will be one of the very (very) few shows that I buy.