Old 10-26-2016, 12:16 PM
Has anyone tried The Mysterious Package Company?

I'm considering buying one of the scenarios for my wife this Christmas and I'm looking for real people who've tried to to help me decide if it's worth it. Anyone tried it? Did you and/or the recipient like it? I'm interested in providing an experience for her, more than a thing. We've got enough stuff. But she's not super into eldritch horror stuff, so I don't know if the tone of the stories is right for her. Are they super creepy?

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, here's the website: mysteriouspackage.com

They are "purveyors of strange and unannounced deliveries, designed to intrigue, befuddle, and delight." They deliver surprise mail/packages to the recipient that involve mysterious artifacts and circumstances. It's kind of like a mystery/puzzle by mail.

Any advice welcome!
Old 10-26-2016, 12:44 PM
Various hints my roommate has dropped imply I should be expecting one of these for my birthday, but I have no experience with it yet. However, last month I got myself a subscription to the Mystery Experiences Company and thoroughly enjoyed the one mystery I've received so far. Everything is contained in one box that shows up at your door. There are multimedia links and hints available online, as well as a Facebook support group that help each other out a great deal.

I have heard some good things about MPC, but it's all been outweighed by how expensive they are. However, most of their items are handcrafted and very well done, so it might balance out.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:42 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Is there any way to find out what the actual costs might be without becoming a member?
Old 10-26-2016, 01:55 PM
Charter Member
Here's are some reviews, it does sound interesting:

http://geek.com/geek-culture/the...ealed-1634345/

https://roomescapeartist.com/2016/06...yellow-review/
Mysteriously, this company’s packaging is the best part of its product.

Date purchased: January 3, 2016

Price: $199.00

https://reddit.com/r/MysteriousP...s_it_worth_it/
Old 10-26-2016, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Is there any way to find out what the actual costs might be without becoming a member?
I signed up for a membership to find out. They range from $200 to $300.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:17 PM
As long as the mysterious package isn't an angry bobcat.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:29 PM
In about 1950, my mother joined a worldwide gift club. Every two months, a package would arrive containing a thing made in a foreign country, shipped from there with foreign stamps on it.. In those days, America imported or outsources practically nothing, so any object in your house that was not American made was a curiosity that would be proudly shown to visitors. There weren't even any Volkswagens yet. Thins Europeans bought were actually different from things Americans bought. They might have been figurines or useful tools One that comes to mind was a small cuckoo clock from Liechtenstein. It was not junk, (plastic had not yet been invented either), things were reasonably well-made and attractive. She was quite happy with what she got, and the surprise/excitement value was worth the subscription.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-26-2016 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In those days, America imported or outsources practically nothing, so any object in your house that was not American made was a curiosity that would be proudly shown to visitors.
So that explains this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Christmas Story
Mr. Parker: Aaah! "Fra-GEE-leh!" It must be Italian!
Mrs. Parker: Uh, I think that says FRAGILE, honey.
Mr. Parker: Huh? Oh, yeah.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:09 AM
For some reason, this reminds me of this old chestnut:

Quote:
While I was walking down the beach one bright and sunny day
I saw a great big wooden box a-floatin' in the bay
I pulled it in and opened it up and much to my surprise
Ooh, I discovered a boom-boom-boom, right before my eyes
Oh, I discovered a boom-boom-boom, right before my eyes

I picked it up and ran to town as happy as a king
I took it to a guy I knew who'd buy most any thing
But this is what he hollered at me as I walked in his shop
Oh, get outta here with that boom-boom-boom, before I call a cop
Oh, get outta here with that boom-boom-boom before I call a cop
Old 10-27-2016, 06:11 PM
Charter Member
The premise is intriguing but at $199 too rich for my blood. It did remind me of this xkcd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael View Post
For some reason, this reminds me of this old chestnut:
Hah, I heard that on Doctor Demento's show. Thanks for the memory.