Old 08-31-2010, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by koeeoaddi View Post
Anyone remember Eve cigarettes, with the psychedelic curly-ques.
My aunt used to smoke those. I remember once when her boyfriend was out of his usual smokes, she gave him one and he giggled as if smoking a cigarette with bit of a floral pattern on the paper would make him gay or something.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:32 AM
BANNED
Bull Durham
Old Gold
Maverick
Salem
Doral
Oasis
Newport
Max
Virginia Slims
Eve
Capri
Lark
Dunhill
Viceroy
Tareton
Old 08-31-2010, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzomax View Post
Bull Durham
Old Gold
Maverick
Salem
Doral
Oasis
Newport
Max
Virginia Slims
Eve
Capri
Lark
Dunhill
Viceroy
Tareton
Most of these are still available at the local convenience market. Salem, Newport and Virginia Slims are actually still fairly popular brands. I see the ads for Maverick and Doral at the discount tobacco place all of the time and occasionally buy a pack of Dunhills there. They also carry Capri and Viceroy.

I haven't seen the rest for a while though.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:48 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah View Post
I remember my mother smoking Craven A, and some other brand with a black cat. It was probably called something like Black Cat. But this would have been in the early or mid 70s, and memory is hazy.
You're Canadian, as I recall. Yes, they were indeed Black Cats, which (if memory serves) came in a blue or gold pack, depending on whether they were plain- or filter-tipped. An English brand originally, Black Cats were made in Canada by Rock City Tobacco, which still makes Number 7 cigarettes. Interestingly, even though Black Cat cigarettes haven't been made in ages, the picture of its black cat survived on packages of Number 7s until rather recently.

Other rare or no-longer-existent popular Canadian brands would include Belvedere, Mark Ten, and Sportsman.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmwood View Post
A whle back, I saw some commercials on youtube for a brand of cigarettes called "Spud". Really. I thought that was such a stupid name for a cigarette, but apparently up until the 1960s it was one of the nation's most popular cigarette brands. Today, it's extinct.
Spud was the first menthol cigarette, invented by accident in 1924 when Spud Hughes, a young asthma sufferer, stored cigs in a can of menthol crystals and found they gave a cooling and pleasant smoke. He named the brand after himself, but it stuck after he sold the patent.

Despite the incongruous potatoey moniker, Spuds were a hit, inspiring Brown & Williamson to put Kools on the market in 1932. Spuds were sold till 1963.

Last edited by Beware of Doug; 08-31-2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:27 PM
I used to smoke Vantage, More Lights, Merit, and GPCs. Woo-hoo! Been off 'em since May 2009! Anybody remember "Ritz", designed by YSL back in the mid-80s? I remember they had a special "satin" filter. I think those were the first ones I started smoking. (had to look cool, LOL).
Old 08-31-2010, 11:35 PM
BANNED
My mother smoked Lucky Strike and my father smoked Salem.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjack123 View Post
Kent, Tareyton, Lark, True and Old Golds are all still around, but hardly anyone smokes them anymore. Most places no longer stock these brands, and you really have to search for them. There are two convenience stores in my area that have the "full rack" cigarette selection, which means pretty much every brand still on the market and I've seen the above brands on the racks, but most stores now only stock the most popular brands such as Marlboro, Camel, etc.

Benson & Hedges was a popular brand in the 1980s but it's another brand you hardly see anymore. A lot of women smoked these back then, but if they didn't quit they went to Marlboro Lights.

Parliaments are very popular and you can find them anywhere. In my area, they're second only to Marlboro Lights in popularity among younger smokers.

Pall Mall and L&M are now "budget brands" and they both taste terrible.

Personally, every smoker I know (and there are a lot) only smoke the following: Marlboro, Camel, Parliament, American Spirits and (ugh!) Newport. I think the only remaining customers for those old-school brands are a very small group of older people.
Wow. I'd really like to pick up a pack of True Blue 100s for my mom. She smoked before she got pregnant with me, quit cold turkey at that point, and was smoke-free till my dad died when I was 28. She started smoking again in her grief, and she's been talking about wanting to quit again ever since. I'd kinda like to get her a pack of the kind that she and dad used to smoke if she will try to make it the last cigs she'll ever smoke, however long it takes her to get to that point.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:55 AM
NETA sorry for the regurgitation of my previous post. I know I'd posted, but forgot what I'd said.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:30 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by whole bean View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whole bean View Post
so you're saying Mr. Jimmy looked pretty ill
anyone?
It's a lyric from a Stone's song, I forget which one. Nice follow up. I see others have added lyrics. It's "You can't always get what you want." Like discontinued cigarettes.

Last edited by The Second Stone; 09-01-2010 at 01:33 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:21 AM
Nobody in my family has ever smoked. My parents were (are) really against it. This said, mom would get Women's Day magazines all the time. I remember how glamourous the women looked: Virginia Slims ( I'd spend so much time looking at the catalog of cool things), Capri (she's going to Capri and she's never coming back!) and Eve. I recall Joe Camel* well too but he was not remotely as cool as the women.
All of that advertising "worked" on me in that I remember the products but never used.

Until this thread I never understood the blackeye ads.As a little kid it never occurred to me it was supposed to be a bruised eye. To me it was like the black lines football players used.

*I also recall a beer (pabst?)that had a huge black and white bear as a mascot.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Qatar View Post
BTW, Camels are not sold in the Middle East.
Sure they are. I went to buy milk this morning, and there were several brands of Camels in the rack with everything else.

--SMM
Old 09-02-2010, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Montgomery Burns View Post
Lucky Strike-
"Be Happy, Go Lucky- It's Light Up Time!"
"LSMFT- Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco!"
The joke when I was growing up was that "LSMFT" stood for "Loose Straps Mean Flappy Tits"
Old 09-02-2010, 09:04 AM
I see young people smoking Lucky Strikes all the time at Rockabilly shows. It is the only acceptable brand to roll up into a white t-shirt sleeve.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Benson and Hedges used to have about 20 different varieties - don't know if they still do. I would get cigs for my boss since I was always bumming and ordering them was practically a memory exercise - B&H light menthol 100's in the hard pack. If you couldn't make all the way through without taking a breath, you knew you'd been smoking too much.

This probably doesn't count, but I also used to like Drum tobacco, but I think they're still around and still popular with the art f*g/douche bag crowd.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:16 PM
I remember when I was a boy my dad smoked Cameo. While he still smokes, I don't see him with a cigarette much any more (either he doesn't smoke nearly as often, or it may be because I don't live at home any more) but I haven't seen them in stores for quite a while (about the time I left home). I assumed that they went out of business and he's smoking something else, but Google led me to Cameo's entry on Cigarettespedia (. Yes, Virginia (Slims), there's a Wiki for everything) telling me that they are still produced for the Canadian (and S. African) market.

(I have vivid memories of when I was around 12 years old helping my dad roll his cigarettes. I had great fun with it too! (and no, I have never had a cigarette in my life).
Old 09-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad News Baboon View Post
I also recall a beer (pabst?)that had a huge black and white bear as a mascot.
That would be Hamm's, the bear refreshing. Er, beer.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:34 PM
born to be shunned
Triumphs. They were this odd non-tobacco (I think) cigarette back in the early 70s that I sort of like. Tried them first because I was driving a TR4-A at the time and thought the pack looked cool on the dash. Most people said they would rather smoke cabbage leaves that had been boiled and then dried but my memory says they weren't that bad.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:51 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member
I smoke Picayunes in High School. The guy who married my cousin used to carry them around when someone wanted to bum a smoke off him. He had no takers.

I rolled Bugler for a while, seems like I still see cans of it in the store.

Sobraine Black Russians apparently are no longer exported to the USA.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:15 PM
Silk Cut Red, my dad was the only person I ever met who smoked them, then they killed him so he had to quit.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
Triumphs. They were this odd non-tobacco (I think) cigarette back in the early 70s that I sort of like. Tried them first because I was driving a TR4-A at the time and thought the pack looked cool on the dash. Most people said they would rather smoke cabbage leaves that had been boiled and then dried but my memory says they weren't that bad.
I don't know about cabbage, but don't be hatin' on my leafy-green fetish of smokin' lettuce (musical youtubes).

Last edited by ComeToTheDarkSideWeHaveCookies; 09-04-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
I smoke Picayunes in High School. The guy who married my cousin used to carry them around when someone wanted to bum a smoke off him. He had no takers.
They quit making Picayunes a while back, but a few years ago, a friend of mine walked into a gas station and they had a little display of discount cigarettes with a dozen packs of Picayunes marked at $3.00 each. They obviously had a couple of cartons that had been laying around for years and wanted to get rid of them. He offered $20 for all of them and they accepted.

He gave me a few packs and kept the rest. They were almost certainly unsmokable (stale), but were in perfect condition for collectors packs.

Our interest in them is that they were the "Pride of New Orleans", although I don't know if they ever were actually made in New Orleans. But 20+ years ago, they were available at every store in the New Orleans area and a lot of old folks smoked them.

I don't know what the distribution was outside of the south, or even if anyone outside of southern Louisiana or southern Mississippi would even know what "Picayune" means.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:30 PM
OT a bit since I don't think they were ever popular in the US, but what about Gitanes. Are those still around in euroland?
Old 09-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonh300 View Post

Our interest in them is that they were the "Pride of New Orleans"...

I don't know what the distribution was outside of the south, or even if anyone outside of southern Louisiana or southern Mississippi would even know what "Picayune" means.
My Cousin lived in Louisiana. I bought them at Osco Drugs in the Park Plaza shopping center in Little Rock.

Last edited by carnivorousplant; 09-05-2010 at 03:35 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Yes, my grandmother smoked those. I was going to list these, until I saw that you had already done it.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:12 PM
I believe Lark and Benson & Hedges Multi-Filter aren't made anymore. I haven't seen either brand in a long time. My uncle smoked Larks many years ago, before he quit.

Viceroy is another brand I haven't seen in ages. They used to be popular back in the day.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Towers View Post
Tareytons. They used to have ads with pictures of Tareyton smokers all beaten up, reading "I'd rather fight than switch!" I guess they finally got quashed.
My mom's brand for many years.

After they disappeared she smoked B&H. She quit about 10 years ago. I don't know if B&H are still sold.

While I never really truly smoked them I went through a phase of carrying around a lit MORE Red 100 in social situations. Do they still make those? They're brown. Don't you get it? I'm artistic and alternative and tortured. [Hold smoke in mouth. Blow a smoke ring. Thanks, Mom.]
Old 04-27-2012, 06:16 PM
Charter Member
The citation to 2009 data actually seems quite fitting.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:20 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
Fatima sponsored Dragnet on radio, so it at least lasted into the late 40's.
Well into the 1950s, actually, since Dragnet only started in 1949 and continued well into the 1950s. For a time, the same episodes were presented on radio and TV, the radio presentations continuing mainly because Jack Webb liked the medium.

At some point during the Fifties, though, they stopped advertising Fatimas and went to other Liggett and Morris brands, like Chesterfield and L&M. In hindsight there's a touch of the surreal in all this; the character Joe Friday might have just rousted a suspect for "reefers", and then during the break, you'd hear the actor Jack Webb earnestly pitching Fatimas or Chesterfields. I often listen to these old shows through podcasts, besides the stark, noir-ish quality of the stories themselves, the descriptions of 1950's L.A. fascinate me.

I haven't smoked a cigarette in decades but those damn commercials make me want one!
Old 04-27-2012, 06:36 PM
Charter Member
I thought I bought Fatimas in the 1980s at a smoke shop.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwendee View Post
... While I never really truly smoked them I went through a phase of carrying around a lit MORE Red 100 in social situations. Do they still make those? They're brown. Don't you get it? I'm artistic and alternative and tortured. [Hold smoke in mouth. Blow a smoke ring. Thanks, Mom.]
Yup, red and green, but they're still 120mms.

CMC fnord!
Old 04-27-2012, 08:59 PM
I smoked a brand called Richland back in the '80s. Its gimmick was a pack of 25 for the price of a regular 20 pack.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowmanyclouds View Post
Yup, red and green, but they're still 120mms.

CMC fnord!
The fake smoking must have clouded my memory.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:07 PM
Quote:
I love old time radio, and two of my favorites were Jack Benny and Red Skelton. Jack was sponsored by Lucky Strike, and Red was sponsored by Raleigh cigarettes. The cigarette commercials were as catchy as they were criminally irresponsible. Som of my favorites:

Raleigh-
"I'd rather have a Raleigh! No other leading cigarette has less nicotine, less throat irritating tars, than the new, all new Raleigh 903! And now the star of the Raleigh Cigarette Program and MGM's clown, Red Skelton!"

Lucky Strike-
"Be Happy, Go Lucky- It's Light Up Time!"
"LSMFT- Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco!"
"(auctioneer jive by Speed Riggs or FE Boone) Sold American!"
Two of the best big bands of the day, Glen Gray's and later Benny Goodman's, were the big draws on the Camel Caravan, which came on - even before a note of music was heard - with the emphatic slogan: "CAMELS...NEVER GET...ON YOUR NERVES!"

Last edited by Beware of Doug; 04-27-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:21 AM
My grade-school buddy used to snitch Wings from his father's store. They were mentholated and reputed to be mild. Weren't there other mentholated brands?
Old 04-28-2012, 11:30 AM
LS/MFT! Lucky Strike means fine tobacco! As a huge fan of Jack Benny, I've always heard the Lucky Strike commercials, and knew they were one of the most popular brands in those days. I'm assuming up to the 60s? I don't smoke, but remember seeing them on the shelves back when I was younger, and now don't.

Also, Raleigh cigarettes were the sponsor of The Red Skelton Show on radio for a long time, and I don't know if those are still around. And before Raleighs, he was a cast member of Avalon Time, Avalon being another forgotten brand.

Last edited by C. Montgomery Burns; 04-28-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:13 PM
Charter Member
Mama Plant told me that during WWII aluminium foil was used for the war effort. Lucky Strike replaced the foil in their cigarette packs with cellophane, and the package bore the sign, "Lucky Strike has gone to war!"
Old 04-28-2012, 04:13 PM
Quote:
LS/MFT! Lucky Strike means fine tobacco! As a huge fan of Jack Benny, I've always heard the Lucky Strike commercials, and knew they were one of the most popular brands in those days. I'm assuming up to the 60s? I don't smoke, but remember seeing them on the shelves back when I was younger, and now don't.

Also, Raleigh cigarettes were the sponsor of The Red Skelton Show on radio for a long time, and I don't know if those are still around. And before Raleighs, he was a cast member of Avalon Time, Avalon being another forgotten brand.
Hey, looks like I mentioned this already a really long time ago...except for the Avalon part.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:42 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre of Pithecanthropus View Post
At some point during the Fifties, though, they stopped advertising Fatimas and went to other Liggett and Morris brands, like Chesterfield and L&M.
ETC: I meant Liggett and Myers, not Morris.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Victory V's, which don't seem to have survived the war. Even the Arabs wouldn't smoke them.
Woodbines were still around until a few years ago in the big supermarkets but seem to have gone now.
Capstan Full Strength
Weights - a very downmarket brand from Players
Park Drive - still around, rather surprisingly.
Kensitas -advertised with a butler handing them you on a silver salver "Your Kensitas, sir".

Last edited by Mk VII; 04-30-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:08 AM
Way back (late 50s) when I worked in a drug store there was a non-tabacco smoke called (and I'm not clear on the spelling) Cubebs ... were popular in the Boston area at the time. I started on Pall Mall (could steal them from my mother's pack) ... moved on to Chesterfield King (the king that has everything) until they started messing with the pack design ... went to a deep maroon pack ... then to a nautical themed pack - in yellow/orange - with a sailboat on it. Didn't look 'manly' ... so went back to Camel regulars (didn't have kings at the time) ... then in college to English Ovals (probably for the odd factor - they were, as I recall, quite terrible) ... over to Benson Hedges ... which lasted well into my dotage ... then to Marlboro Light (now Gold Pack because they can't say Light anymore) 100s because they are always on sale CVS. 68 and still smoking away ... and no COPD diagnosis ... yet. My brother died of cancer a few years back and one of his very last requests was ... gimme a smoke. Us old timers are a hardy (and hard headed) breed. Back to facts ... in the late 50s when I could do my research ... Luckies, Camels and Chesterfields were THE smokes for guys. The women went for the Parliaments, Kents and Pall Malls. Finally ... on the LSMFT thing ... I think Lucky's maybe sponsored Milton Berle's TV show? ... we always said it meant Let's Save Miltie From Taxes. Interesting conversation on a habit that has been attacked mercilessly for MANY many years ... and which, if the numbers can be trusted, is making a comeback among the younger set. Gruesome shots of messed up lungs on packs not withstanding. OK, off to the driveway for a smoke ... can't smoke in the house anymore.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:17 AM
...me again ... forgot this ... don't think I saw anyone mention the Harley-Davidson cigarette that came out in the mid-90s or so ... put out (on a short run I suspect) by Lorillard. A novelty / niche market thing I'm sure. You can see them offered every now and then on eBay. Thanks for the opportunity to wander back in time ... even if the thread is old, it was fun thinking about it all. And maybe coughing a little too.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Benson & Hedges are still around, but not sold in many places anymore. B&H were popular back in the 80s, but sales have declined dramatically. Same with Virginia Slims - that was a huge brand back then but not many women smoke those anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if those two brands were discontinued in the near future.

Unfiltered Lucky Strikes and Pall Malls are still around, but very hard to find outside of smoke shops these days - most stores don't carry them anymore. I still smoke those occasionally, when I can find them. Again, I think those are two brands that won't be around much longer.

I don't think Kent, Tareyton, Vantage, Viceroy or Lark are made anymore - I haven't seen any of those brands in a store in many years. Kent in particular was a very popular cigarette (especially with women) years ago but it just seemed to disappear. I remember trying each of those brands at one time or another, and wasn't really impressed by any of them - they were either too weak or had an "off" taste.

Salem used the be the best-selling menthol cigarette for years, but RJR messed with the tobacco blend and packaging back in the late 90s and sales dropped dramatically and never recovered. You really have to search around for Salems now- they're not sold in many places these days.

I still see True in a few stores, but I haven't seen anyone smoke that brand in a long, long time. I remember they were like puffing on hot air.

L&M were re-launched a few years ago as a budget brand and they are awful, the original L&M in the red and white pack was taken off the market a long time ago.

Old Golds are still around, I see them at a few convenience stores in my area but hardly anyone smokes them anymore.

Parliament is one old-school brand that is actually more popular today than it was years ago. A lot of younger people smoke them now. Out of all the brands from the past that are gone now or rarely smoked anymore, Parliament has somehow survived and sales have increased - I have no idea why.

I forgot all about More and Eve - those were 120's marketed to women and I think they're gone now as well.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by california jobcase View Post
I smoked a brand called Richland back in the '80s. Its gimmick was a pack of 25 for the price of a regular 20 pack.
And then Marlboro ruined it by coming out with Marlboro 25s, which cost a bit more than a regular 20-pack of Marlboros (which made sense - it would have been kind of stupid to give away 5 extra cigarettes when the product was identical). Some stores thereafter assumed that the Richland 25-pack should cost more as well. I got into quite an argument with my bosses at one store where I worked, because they were charging more for the Richlands, and kept pointing to the Marlboro 25s and saying, "Those cost more than the 20-pack!" My repeatedly pointing out that Richland's whole marketing gimmick was that they were selling 25 for the price of 20 completely failed to move them.

But let's see, I bought my first pack of cigarettes in 1981, I think, but I don't think I've ever seen a pack of Chesterfields anywhere. When I started smoking at age 15, I was determined to smoke the brand I liked best rather than just smoke Marlboros like virtually every other teenager I knew, and I smoked at least one pack of every brand the nearest minimart carried before finally settling on Camel Filters. Still my favorite, though I don't smoke much any more.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Quote:

My mother smoked Eves, because they were "pretty." Herbal Essence shampoo pushed her buttons too.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:23 PM
Mid 40's to late 50's 'Cigs'

I remember an off brand cigarette called "Wings" from the early 40's. Each pack had a small card that had a picture of a then current 'war plane'. Kids use to trade them.

I remember that the "Raleigh" brand had cupons attached that you could trade in for prizes. (like green stamps) The "Old Gold" brand sponsored a quiz show on TV that had dancing girls covered by an over-size box of O.G.'s

40's magazine adds had Doctors smoking and recommending "Camels" The cigarettes are still around but the smoking doctors have disappered
Old 08-09-2013, 10:58 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzoomn View Post
I remember an off brand cigarette called "Wings" from the early 40's. Each pack had a small card that had a picture of a then current 'war plane'. Kids use to trade them.
Cool.
Quote:

I remember that the "Raleigh" brand had cupons attached that you could trade in for prizes.
I smoked them for a bit.
I do not remember why.
Quote:
40's magazine adds had Doctors smoking and recommending "Camels" The cigarettes are still around but the smoking doctors have disappered
The Physician who delivered me smoked in the exam room. He reformed, chastising me for smoking.
John Wayne smoked Camels, and died of "The Big C".
Old 08-10-2013, 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunctator View Post
Senior Service
An Elvis Costello lyric slightly clarified.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:35 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapu View Post
My mother smoked Eves, because they were "pretty."
In my undergraduate days, I rolled my own. My professor/supervisor would often ask me to roll her one because she left hers elsewhere (in the car, at home, etc.). But she would pay me back when she bought some smokes.

And she always did. Except she liked Eves. And she would give me a few Eves as payback. Not exactly the kind of thing you want to be smoking with the boys at the bar when you're all watching the game!
Old 08-10-2013, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by _xiao_wenti_ View Post
I think that it is nearly impossible now to find an unfiltered cig (but as I do not smoke, I do not know definitively).
Here in NYC, you can get Pall Malls, Camels or Luckies, all without filters. At tobacco shops (as opposed to your average newsstand or drugstore), you can get foreign brands without filters. Or unfiltered American Spirits.