Old 10-06-2012, 11:02 PM
What are the "gay novels of the 1940s and 1950s"?

I was reading the wiki on Gore Vidal's novel "The City and the Pillar" and at the end this comment was noted.

Quote:
The City and the Pillar sparked a public scandal, including notoriety and criticism, not only since it was released at a time when homosexuality was commonly considered immoral, but also because it was the first book by an accepted American author to portray overt homosexuality as a natural behavior.[3] The controversial reception began before the novel hit bookshelves. Prior to its even being published, an editor at EP Dutton said to Vidal, "You will never be forgiven for this book. Twenty years from now you will still be attacked for it."[5] Looking back in retrospect from 2009, it is considered by Ian Young to be "perhaps the most notorious of the gay novels of the 1940s and 1950s."[7]
What are these "gay novels"?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 PM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: smells like almonds quinceanera gift etiquette plot keywords piano tuning price aguirre pronounce face down bed tng clues hot burka hockey substitutions shifted jaw teller magician voice desperate housewives houses film colorization pamplemousse definition mighty quinn meaning wenis bone ghost world meaning goodshit phlap pernod vs absinthe keizer soze masturbation with socks mlp sexist hanging oneself male face waxing saxon nobility golden turkey awards scariest poems being fired synonym jeff corwin gay hot girls barefoot job's daughters cult fried semen do i lose my pension if i get fired how long can rabies live in a dead animal onions give me diarrhea kn air filter hp gain how tall is a two story house in feet muhammad was a pedifile two days a week job how to make permanent hair dye fade acrylic thermal blankets with satin trim survivor season 12 danielle fonts used in the 1960s why do executioners wear masks why do hotdogs come in packs of 10 and buns in 8 how to use forearm forklift shelf bracket long side against wall how to neutralize sodium hydroxide funeral receiving line etiquette what animal is on the canadian quarter chicago o hare abbreviation you may already be a weiner can birds eat cooked rice hells angels hammer pin meaning temporary adhesive for fabric what do the numbers on eyeglass frames mean learn college algebra in 24 hours why is the left testicle lower than the right silent battery operated wall clock comcast x1 ir extender meddle not in the affairs of dragons family guy conway twitty funeral attire no suit why does slitting a throat kill how long does it take to get fe exam results