Old 03-04-2004, 11:51 PM
Wearing a Men's Kimono

Among the items worn with a man's kimono, there is one thing i have a question about.

I know that sometimes the juban (under kimono) is worn with the actual kimono. But from looking at a kimono set online, it seems the juban is shorter than the kimono. Is this typical? Is the juban supposed to be shorter than the kimono? Or are they supposed to be the same (since i know that you would "hike up" the kimono to ankle length if it were too long).
Old 03-05-2004, 12:29 AM
I've never actually worn a full kimono, so the following is strictly from what I've read.

There are three types of juban: the naga-juban (long juban), the han-juban (half juban) and the hada-juban (skin juban).

The naga-juban should be slightly shorter than the kimono. At the very least 5mm, but looking at catalogues, 3cm is more common.

The han-juban looks a bit like a t-shirt and is meant to stop at the waist. It can be worn with other underwear, like a susoyoke.

The hada-juban looks a lot like the han-juban. As the name implies, it is meant to be worn directly against the skin and is the Japanese equivalent of an undershirt.

The juban isn't really an undergrament in the strict sense (with the exception of the hada-juban). Part of it is meant to show from underneath the kimono and they probably are best likened to shirts.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-05-2004, 03:45 PM
The juban isn't really an undergrament in the strict sense (with the exception of the hada-juban). Part of it is meant to show from underneath the kimono and they probably are best likened to shirts.

Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

It does a lot. I see, so the Hada Juban *is* supposed to be a bit shorter. I suppose if i buy a kimono set, i'll have to find a juban long enough for me (difficult considering my height).

It's interesting that the juban is decorated much more brightly than the kimono is, but when worn about you never see the juban, only the collar.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobieous
It does a lot. I see, so the Hada Juban *is* supposed to be a bit shorter. I suppose if i buy a kimono set, i'll have to find a juban long enough for me (difficult considering my height).
Actually, it's the naga-juban that's a bit shorter. The hada-juban stops at the waist.
I think you're right, though that it may be difficult finding a naga-juban that fits you. On this page, you can find shopping info on kimono sets (in Japanese) and the largest size is for people 180cm tall (6'). If you go with a han-juban - susoyoke combination, though, your only problem is the kimono itself.