Old 04-20-2013, 01:10 AM
SDSAB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nousername View Post
From my understanding president Lincoln said this shortly after becoming elected.... it smacked of lincoln stubborn and badass qualities which he continued to display throughout his presidency.
I've read a lot about Lincoln over the years, and have never heard this story.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:15 PM
SDSAB
An earlier thread: http://boards.academicpursuits.us/sdmb/...d.php?t=523918

I just saw the HBO miniseries John Adams. Mr. Adams says "Good day, sir!" in this manner twice - to his importunate son-in-law, and later to two Cabinet secretaries he just sacked.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir
An earlier thread... {snip}
Actually, this thread was started before the one you linked to (2005 vs. 2009). The only reason I mention this is because post #26 in that thread mentions a previous thread on the subject and then links to this thread. And we all fall into the endless loop of teh intertoobz...
Old 09-09-2013, 01:42 PM
I said Good Day, Sir! Tootsie 1982 film

Although there is a scene where Willie Wonka says "Good Day, Sir!" I don't think it's the right reference. The quote asked about is "I said Good Day, Sir." Dustin Hoffman's female character says this as part of her screen test for the soap opera: "Good Day, Dr. Brewster. I said Good Day, Sir."
Old 09-09-2013, 03:03 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLE312 View Post
Although there is a scene where Willie Wonka says "Good Day, Sir!" I don't think it's the right reference. The quote asked about is "I said Good Day, Sir." Dustin Hoffman's female character says this as part of her screen test for the soap opera: "Good Day, Dr. Brewster. I said Good Day, Sir."
Willie Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, 1971.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:00 AM
The first time I heard "Good day sir... I said good day sir!" was a bit from a Robot Chicken Star Wars Spoof... Dr. Ball:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eAKtZ_r0V6E

It is spoken six seconds into the clip above.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:51 PM
It's from Tootsie, when Dustin Hoffman is auditioning for the role in the soap opera. It was bothering me and a couple of coworkers all week and we figured it out.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:50 PM
SDSAB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme12 View Post
It's from Tootsie, when Dustin Hoffman is auditioning for the role in the soap opera. It was bothering me and a couple of coworkers all week and we figured it out.
Willy Wonka predated Tootsie, as noted a mere two posts above yours.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:13 PM
Charter Member
Seeing as how we have an earlier post in this thread identifying this phrase used in a movie from 1938, I'm not really sure why everyone keeps mentioning Willy Wonka and Tootsie.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentle View Post
As for the suggestions from tomndebb and others that it's older than time itself to brush people off with a "good day" or some variation on this, naturally I realize this; but the quotation I'm chasing is said with a very specific emphasis: Jon Stewart in particular nails the tone in how he puffs himself up first and then puts a little space between each word. It sounds so familiar, I feel like this meme must have originated with some movie and TV show.
Agreed. And I think some people are missing the idea that we are not looking for the origins of the sincere version of the statement way back in the 19th century or whenever it was, but its origins as a comedic, ironic quip delivered with an implicit wink.

And I always thought that was from an episode of Dr. Katz on Comedy Central that originally aired in August 1998. As it happens, that was the day after the pilot of That 70s Show aired. I doubt Fez used the phrase that early, and if it was at least a few months later that he first used it, I bet it was inspired by the comedian on Dr. Katz.

Anyway, watch from 20:37 to 21:25. Or if 48 seconds is too much of your time, you can watch the last 10 seconds or so without the context:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gmui8TO...%3Dgmui8TOWTkA

John Stewart started hosting The Daily Show, on the same network as Dr. Katz, the very next year, 1999. So I would tend to strongly suspect this is where he got it, anyway.

ETA: It is sometimes frustrating to me that I remember trivial things like this from the 20th century--the last millennium!--when my memory is so poor about what I did yesterday, or five minutes ago, or what I was saying 30 seconds ago...

Last edited by SlackerInc; 11-07-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:34 AM
SDSAB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
...ETA: It is sometimes frustrating to me that I remember trivial things like this from the 20th century--the last millennium!--when my memory is so poor about what I did yesterday, or five minutes ago, or what I was saying 30 seconds ago...
Who did you say you were, again?
Old 11-09-2013, 06:53 AM
LOL
Old 06-19-2014, 12:59 AM
SDSAB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfactor View Post
...[There was a] similar quote by Janeane Garofalo in Mystery Men....
Yes - here it is:

The Shoveller: Watch it, Spleen, you're going to kill someone with that thing!
Dr. Heller: Oh, no, no, no. All these weapons are completely non-lethal.
The Bowler: Wow. How wonderfully eccentric while simultaneously being a complete waste of our time. Good day, sir. I say good day.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:23 AM
Also from 1999. My Dr. Katz still looks earliest!