Old 03-11-2015, 03:22 PM
BANNED
Archer episode 'Vision Quest' - The ending!?

Being a huge fan of the show I'm little embarrassed to admit this but: I just got around to watching the episode Vision Quest on my TiVo. Great as usual, but I don't quite get the ending. Specifically:

SPOILER:
When Ray has his hand stuck out of the elevator door and is finally able to get a cell signal they tell him to call Mallory (i.e. Archer's mother). Sterling immediately yells, "No!", and when Ray calls her number the emergency phone in the elevator rings. Everyone pauses, then turns suspiciously to Archer, who says, "I'm not here", then Cyril answers it and its one of Archer's annoying, elaborate VM messages mockingly pretending to be an elevator repair company (i.e. "Are you tired of always being stuck in elevators?" etc.) Then they all attack Archer.

I can't wrap my head around this. According to Mallory it wasn't an elaborate team-building exercise like they thought, so why did her phone number get forwarded to the elevator's phone? And why did it play that VM of Archer's?
Old 03-11-2015, 04:17 PM
Charter Member
I've never been able to figure it out or find an answer. This question was raised in one of the Archer threads, but no explanation was ever given to my recollection.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:18 PM
Wow, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who was baffled by this one. I watched that episode a few cocktails into the evening, so I assumed I missed something.

Struck me as a somewhat shoddy episode all around, honestly; bottle episodes usually only work when they use the space to deep dive into the characters' personalities, but, well, this was just a bunch of usual Archer gags without an actual story.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:29 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by typoink View Post
Struck me as a somewhat shoddy episode all around, honestly; bottle episodes usually only work when they use the space to deep dive into the characters' personalities, but, well, this was just a bunch of usual Archer gags without an actual story.
It was worth it for the bit where Carol/Cheryl/Cherlene (though she has NO MEMORY OF THAT) "reads the minds" of Archer, Lana, Pam, Ray, Cyril, and Krieger;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsherface
You want to drink, you want to lecture us, you want another bear claw, you want to smoke, you want to masturbate, and you're afraid we'll all realize you're just a Krieger clone!