Old 10-06-2015, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Night Gallery seemed to want to do Lovecraft, but either they couldn't bring themselves to do it, or their sponsors held them back, or something. Two Lovecraftian pieces turned into jokes, the Pickman's Model one came off halfway decent, and the others failed.
I seem to recall that they did an OK version of Cool Air. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

(Of course, they changed the narrating character into a woman and gave her a love interest role, but otherwise more faithful to the story than most Lovecraft adaptations.)
Old 10-06-2015, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael View Post
I seem to recall that they did an OK version of Cool Air. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

(Of course, they changed the narrating character into a woman and gave her a love interest role, but otherwise more faithful to the story than most Lovecraft adaptations.)
Yup. And it is as you say; the main character is now a woman who is attracted to the mysterious Doctor, but is puzzled by his obsession with air conditioning. And it retains the original ending, unlike their version of "Pickman's Model," which changed things up considerably, and had a rather dumb looking rubber monster suit...

Both paintings were actually pretty good, though.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael View Post

And except for the jokey ending (TWO different death dates on his tombstone) which undercut the effect of the story.

No painting involved in that one (except the one used to introduce the story, of course).
Old 10-06-2015, 02:38 PM
Charter Member
The movie The Haunting included a painting of the owner of the mansion which was pretty creepy. I can't seem to find too many good pictures, but here's a couple.

(Weird movie - average script, incredible cast, and some of the best Art Direction I've ever seen in a movie).
Old 10-06-2015, 03:22 PM
I wish I had more room to work with. That and a way to reproduce this stuff. These are some awesomely creepy images, some of which I've never seen before but scary as hell nonetheless.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:58 PM
Ran across an old magazine ad that offered poster prints of various paintings from Night Gallery.

Really wish I could still order some of those...
Old 10-06-2015, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
I know exactly the photos you mean so I looked at the Burnt Offerings link, Mr mutt. No photos of the family, but plenty of scary ass Karen "I've been waiting for you Ben" Black . Oh, and a shot of her at the end of Trilogy of Terror.. . . <shudder>

note to self: don't click on the link when you know the movie contains oogie images.
"Burnt Offerings" is on Amazon Prime as we speak--Prime is free rental, otherwise, $2.99 USD (I think; might be off by a buck). I'm gonna watch it tomorrow while the wife is away (she's a sissy-pants).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Wang-Ka View Post
Ran across an old magazine ad that offered poster prints of various paintings from Night Gallery.

Really wish I could still order some of those...
Master W-K, you may come over and kick my behind as hard as you wish--I had one of those as a teen ("House - With Ghost") and have no idea where it went. It was the coolest thing I ever possessed, and I had a seven-foot glow-in-the-dark Frankenstein monster dealie hanging in my room, but NG skunked it by a parsec. *sob*
Old 10-06-2015, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
Master W-K, you may come over and kick my behind as hard as you wish--I had one of those as a teen ("House - With Ghost") and have no idea where it went. It was the coolest thing I ever possessed, and I had a seven-foot glow-in-the-dark Frankenstein monster dealie hanging in my room, but NG skunked it by a parsec. *sob*
Ohh, you bastard.
At least it wasn't "Girl With The Hungry Eyes..."
Old 10-06-2015, 07:34 PM
https://youtube.com/watch?v=xHW731mFuBY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Wang-Ka View Post
Ohh, you bastard.
At least it wasn't "Girl With The Hungry Eyes..."
The biggest chill I ever got from Night Gallery was several years after it went off the air. Mom had the radio on (country, of course) when all of a sudden, SHIT! IT'S THE TUNE IN DAN'S CAFE!! The room slid sideways for a moment then my brother came running in and hollered his fool head off THE TUNE! THE TUNE!

Go play outside, you two!
Old 10-06-2015, 08:46 PM
Sith Mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Ray Bradbury wrote "The Crowd," a 1955 short story in which a man realizes that the same people keep showing up at car-accident scenes. He compares photographs across many years and sees them again and again, unaged. Brrrr.
Later adapted for TV on Ray Bradbury's Theater.

Can't find an image of the actual photograph they used, though.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:11 PM
Charter Member
The film Three Cases of Murder (1955). Three separate stories, the first and best of them is a tale of a haunted painting.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:26 AM
It was kinda creepy at the time: in the King movie IT, the clown makes an appearance in a photo in a book the kids are looking at.

There's also this classic bit.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:35 PM
I'm late to this, but the one that really made an impression on me was in the 1990 movie of Roald Dahl's "The Witches."

It was a tale told by the grandmother. A little girl disappeared after eating an apple given to her by an old woman who was a witch. She then appeared in a painting that was hung in the house. She would change positions in the picture - sometimes peering out the window, sometimes with the ducks in the yard, but always would be a still painted figure. Over the years she would even age within the painting. Creepy!

Last edited by wombattver; 10-11-2015 at 10:37 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-11-2015, 10:47 PM
http://amuchdeeperlevel.blogspot.com...ood-fears.html

Here are some pics of the painting and the little girl.