Old 11-18-2013, 04:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Plus, the temperature at which water freezes is certainly something relevant to human experience.
Definitely:

minus = ice
plus = thaw

I just can't imagine how this very obvious mental image works in Fahrenheit where you have to deal with "less than 32 degrees" and "more than 32 degrees" instead.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
Definitely:

minus = ice
plus = thaw

I just can't imagine how this very obvious mental image works in Fahrenheit where you have to deal with "less than 32 degrees" and "more than 32 degrees" instead.
Instead of 0, it's 32.

We get by. Somehow.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:37 AM
Here's my mental image growing up with F...

0F = Going outside invites the cruel hand of an agonizingly slow death.

15F = Bitter cold. Wear a parka.

30F = It's probably gonna snow. (~water freezes)

45F = Wear a jacket, and zip up. Umbrella for cold rain is a good idea.

60F = Tshirt and pants. Smells like spring, bring a hoodie!

75F = Ahhh, perfect day. (~room temperature)

90F = plan a day at the beach and crank the AC.

100F = You'll wish it was 0F. Or dead. AC or not. (~body temperature).

Last edited by cmyk; 11-18-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Did you even have the last four available in Detroit? Or were those purely theoretical?
Old 11-18-2013, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
Did you even have the last four available in Detroit? Or were those purely theoretical?
Ha.

Oh, believe you me, July — August were 2 months of hell.

Detroit gets more or less the same climate as Chicago and NYC. So yeh, we got the whole range, but biased more toward the bottom half.

But Michigan has the most coastline. Beaches and sand usually go hand in hand with the heat.

Last edited by cmyk; 11-18-2013 at 09:50 AM.