Old 03-24-2002, 09:36 PM
Experienced Parents: How Do You Get Silly-Putty Out of Hair?

Can someone please help us with this?

The Crayola website says that you use WD40 to get Silly Putty and clay out of carpet... but they don't say anything about hair. jdimbert thinks that she heard advice to use lighter fluid, but I'd like some corroboration before we go there.

Can anyone help?
Old 03-24-2002, 09:47 PM
White Vinegar should get it out. Should dissolve the stuff.

I would not use lighter fluid
Old 03-24-2002, 10:18 PM
Peanut butter is supposed to work for gum. It might work here, too.

Good luck.
Old 03-24-2002, 10:35 PM
I'm no parent, but if the silly putty is not stuck too close to the scalp the easiest thing to do would be to apply ice. As the silly putty's temperature is reduced it will become less sticky. You could probably peel it right off.

If that doesn't work I'd use WD-40.
Old 03-24-2002, 11:38 PM
Creature of the Night
I have no idea how to get it out of hair, but I WOULD advise you to take a picture of this before you try anything else. Just for blackmail purposes. Trust me, it'll come in handy someday.
Old 03-24-2002, 11:51 PM
Apparently there's a toll-free number on the Silly Putty container, but it's only staffed during business hour.

Personally, I'd try the WD-40, and just make sure you wash it out really well.
Old 03-24-2002, 11:52 PM
First answer is the correct one.

If any of the silly putty sticks to a child's clothes or hair use white vinegar to remove it.
Old 03-24-2002, 11:55 PM
Er, guys? I would not use WD-40 or lighter fluid on a child's hair.

Use vinegar. White vinegar is supposed to work a little better than cider vinegar.
Old 03-24-2002, 11:59 PM
oops...

Kniz, presumably you found the same website I did, putting "silly putty remove hair" into Google, but upon further perusal, I see that the "Silly Putty" it's talking about is homemade, with Elmer's glue and starch.

http://atozkidsstuff.com/artrecipes.html

So if the vinegar doesn't work, I'd try baby oil.

But not petroleum distillates. Please.