Old 04-24-2002, 09:46 AM
Why are motherboards always green?

Why are motherboards always green?
Old 04-24-2002, 09:53 AM
Charter Member
Specifically motherboards? Are are you asking about circuit boards in general. I know I've seen orange circuit boards (and maybe even orange/tan motherboards).
Old 04-24-2002, 10:03 AM
They aren't

I've seen them in a couple of colors besides green, including a darkish orange, tan, and several shades of green. I don't know if there's any real reason for the color or not.
Old 04-24-2002, 10:17 AM
there was a sale at Sears on Green.
Old 04-24-2002, 10:21 AM
Charter Member
Circuit boards now come in almost any colour you like (especially those of graphics cards for PCs, where it seems almost compulsory to use a colour other than green); I believe that the coloured coating serves some actual purpose and that green happened to be the colour that the industry-standard chemicals produced.

All of the motherboards I have seen recently (including one I'm looking at right now) are tan in colour.
Old 04-24-2002, 10:29 AM
Charter Member
MSI makes Red motherboards and Gigabyte makes Deep Blue ones. Most Mobos, however, are a deep tan colour.

I recall a while back when Iwill came out with the XP333, they specifically asked the Computer enthusiasts what features they wanted on the board and one of the first to be cried out was for some funky colours. Iwill prompty responded, however, that this could not be done due to some unknown technical reasons so there is actually a reason why they are all that colour, its not just a matter of changing the dye.
Old 04-24-2002, 10:41 AM
Circuit boards can nearly any color. The pigment you are looking at is actually a durable photo-imageable epoxy, the purpose of which is to protect the outerlayer traces while exposing the sites where the components are meant to fit. Green became common because it is not overly opaque, and still allows a degree of visual inspection as well as allowing the UV light to penetrate readily during the imaging. Still, it is opaque enough to easily determine that adequate coverage of the traces has been provided.
Old 04-24-2002, 10:46 AM
The green (or tan or orange) is the solder mask which is usually silkscreened onto the boards before solder is applied. Solder mask is available in a very few different colors, including, I think, clear. The mask undergoes a curing/drying process which may have some affect on "funky colors" being available. More likely, I think the mass production process makes color variation a nightmare. Having worked for a circuit board manufacturer, I know that it was useful to be able to recognize a large rack of boards by color or design at a distance.

As to why green is (or was, now that tan seems more common) the most common color, I would guess that it contrasts well with both solder and copper, as well as the white lettering they apply afterward. I don't know if there is any functional significance to the color, but I doubt that there is.
Old 04-24-2002, 12:38 PM
Charter Member
I dunno, the ones I've been getting lately seem decently ripe.

---
Omar Little suggests lunatics like me include a disclaimer
Old 08-08-2004, 07:40 AM
My motherboard is black.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:20 AM

I was doing a search...opened this thread in a new window...apparently got confused and thought it was a new thread...sorry.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:19 AM
Just some links to the same question asked and answered elsewhere :

Link 1

Link 2
Old 08-09-2004, 05:46 PM
Just to fill out the spectrum a bit, some are red - see the latest ATI video cards.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:57 PM
Speaking as someone who sends off orders for Printed Circuit Boards to be manufactured all the time, generally it costs more to have them made in anything but green.
This is for small batches of course. For large orders, they are mixing big vats of the new color for you and it probably won't cost much more.