Old 04-27-2002, 07:50 PM
How do men in Nudist camps avoid erections?

I'd be walking about with a constant stiffy I think.
Old 04-27-2002, 08:21 PM
Why should they try to avoid sporting wood?

The whole point of nudism is that it's natural, and there is no reason to be ashamed of your anatomy, regardless of the hardness/flacidity thereof.
Old 04-27-2002, 08:53 PM
You get a stiffy when you see naked people because you don't see it often, and when you do, it's in a sexual context.

Someone staying at a nudist camp sees naked people all the time in a non-sexual context. After a while you get used to it, the association of nudity with titillation goes away.

After all, there are/were stone-aged tribes in Aftica where the people are essentailly naked all the time. If you're used to it and surrounded by it constantly, it's no big deal.

Or to look at it another way: there are also cultures where any show of female flesh at all is taboo and shocking. Where I live, women can walk around with their ankles (and more) exposed freely, and it's no problem. It's all having to to with what you're used to and what you've been habitually exposed to.
Old 04-27-2002, 09:06 PM
So would they mind if I jacked off at the breakfast table?
Old 04-27-2002, 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Griffin
So would they mind if I jacked off at the breakfast table?
Yes. Would you mind if stripped down naked at the hotel you were ataying at and started masterbating? They are places where you are free from the confinments of cloths not of moral judgment.
Old 04-27-2002, 10:00 PM
From what I've heard, at nudist camps walking around with an erection is frowned upon, and public masturbation or sex would get you kicked out. Nudity does not imply any behavior is acceptable.
Old 04-27-2002, 10:00 PM
No one has really answered the OP's question. Sometime, through no fault of our own, we men can get an erection just like that.

Therefore, what tricks do men in those nudist camps stop an erection before it starts?
Old 04-27-2002, 10:48 PM
Maybe they picture Janet Reno naked?
Old 04-27-2002, 10:54 PM
Charter Member
Well, the first three days are the hardest.
Old 04-27-2002, 10:57 PM
Charter Member
If you think you're going to go to a nudist camp and see a bunch of nubile young seductresses, you're sadly mistaken. It's generally people of all ages there (so I've heard), and any stiffy you get from seeing a nubile young seductress is going to go away real quick when you see some wrinkled old grandma with sagging breasts !
Old 04-28-2002, 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by rastahomie
If you think you're going to go to a nudist camp and see a bunch of nubile young seductresses, you're sadly mistaken. It's generally people of all ages there (so I've heard), and any stiffy you get from seeing a nubile young seductress is going to go away real quick when you see some wrinkled old grandma with sagging breasts !
I imagine nudists aren't so judgemental about body and older bodies as non-nudists are. I bet enlightened nudist grandpa finds "wrinkled old grandma" just as appealing than younger women. I like to think so anyway!
Old 04-28-2002, 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by mikeargo
Well, the first three days are the hardest.
Do ya need a rim shot there, mike?
Old 04-28-2002, 05:51 AM
I used to camp at the Russian River and only went to the nude beaches with my gf of the moment and other acquaintances. Once my gf spied a guy walking down the trail masturbating (the guy was doing it, you jerk-offs) and started screaming PERVERT at him; then she picked up some rocks and threw bean-balls at him until he fled in panic. So no, it is not considered good form and my gf wasn't a tourist, she owned a house there. At a nude beach you do such things at your own risk.
Old 04-28-2002, 05:59 AM
why do people goto Nudist camps in the first place?
Why would anyone raised in today's society have a problem with clothing?
Old 04-28-2002, 06:23 AM
Quote:
Why would anyone raised in today's society have a problem with clothing?
Some people are scared of pockets.
Old 04-28-2002, 06:38 AM
SPOOFE:

Don't forget underpants!
Old 04-28-2002, 09:18 AM
BANNED
I bet untamed pubic hair doesn't bother a nudist either. Letting it all hang out and all.
Old 04-28-2002, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Or to look at it another way: there are also cultures where any show of female flesh at all is taboo and shocking. Where I live, women can walk around with their ankles (and more) exposed freely, and it's no problem. It's all having to to with what you're used to and what you've been habitually exposed to. [/B]
exposed ankles... mmmmm.

*covers crotch with book*
Old 04-28-2002, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tuckerfan
Maybe they picture Janet Reno naked?
No, that wouldn't work b/c people who commit suicide sometimes leave corpses with erect penises.

plus, gay men might just get more turned on..
Old 04-28-2002, 10:26 AM
Just go to your room, tent or rest room stall and take care of your problem. You should be good to go for 20 minutes or so.
Old 04-28-2002, 11:19 AM
The writer and frequent NPR commentator David Sidaris has a hilarious section in one of his books (I can't remember which... sorry) about his visit to a nudist camp. I believe he also delivered that section in a monologue on This American Life.

From his descriptions of it, unless you have a fetish for very flabby middle-aged people, it isn't going to be a problem.

As far as why go to nudist camps...

This may be TMI, but I'm usually naked at home. I think it's more comfortable to not wear clothes. Now I personally don't want to see anyone else naked or let them see me so I keep this within the confines of my own home but I could see the pleasure in going outside naked, feeling the comfort of nothing restricting you at all. And if you don't care about other people seeing you and you seeing other people, great.
Old 04-28-2002, 11:41 AM
Maybe, some of them

do get erections now and then and hide behind bushes or trees!

Probably lots of them get semi-erections which they don't bother to hide.
Old 04-28-2002, 12:18 PM
- - - A friend's parents used to do the nudist camp thing years ago. As he reached adulthood, he asked questions about it, stiffies being one. A man having an erection cannot be in any public place in most all nudist camps; if you feel one coming on, you have to get somewhere private fast or conveniently cover yourself with something. If others see it and report it, you get often kicked off the premises.
- Most people there are ordinary, middling-and-older-age, definitely-not-models in serious need of thighmasters and ab-crunchers. There's generally not much to arouse someone used to dreaming about Sports Illustrated models. Now, uh,, did somebody mention Janet Reno?
- The social context is almost always highly restrictive with respect to sexual subjects. Telling obscene jokes is often prohibited, as are things like wife swapping, or doing anything sexual in public view, even with a spouse, or "being noisy" with anyone in a room or tent. Some places, singles aren't even allowed to "mix" even in privacy. You get kicked out for it.
- There's lots of child molesters cruising the nudist camps looking for naked kids, and usually finding them. They don't get arrested when they get caught, because the camp convinces the parents not to, to avoid bringing bad publicity upon the camp (and possibly having the local government shut it down). So the Chesters get "fired with recommendations" and move on to the next camp. My buddy's parents knew about this, and that was why they completely stopped visiting after they had children. - DougC
Old 04-28-2002, 01:32 PM
Nudists sound like very sad people then.
Old 04-28-2002, 02:10 PM
ever wonder why they are always carrying a towel?
Old 04-28-2002, 02:33 PM
I thought children weren't allowed at Nudist Camps-you had to be 18 and over?
Old 04-28-2002, 02:57 PM
BANNED
"ever wonder why they are always carrying a towel?"

Oh, I hope they use one, its for sanitary reasons, they have to sit on it.
Old 04-28-2002, 03:06 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Arken
The writer and frequent NPR commentator David Sidaris has a hilarious section in one of his books (I can't remember which... sorry) ...
The book was (unsurprisingly) called "Naked".
Old 04-28-2002, 04:50 PM
I seem to be the first actual, social nudist to Chime in. AndrewL seemed to have it the closest. I can't imagine a Nudist Camp running someone off for getting an erection. Depending on the context, it might be best to cover it, or wander away. At worst, it would be mildly embarrasing, and if the object of affection were obvious, it would give an opportunity for her to give a signal on whether she was interested, or not. Nudist Camps are not swingers Clubs, but neither have I found them to be as restrictive as DougC described. Perhaps because The social Nudity I've experienced has been in Pagan Circles, and Children haven't been a factor.

I've never actually run into the problem, even when in Nudist situations with Women I am interested in, and attracted by.
The sight is stimulating, but not necessarily novel, and other Social Cues (ie. lots of other people around) seem to keep the 'Gallant Reflex' from rearing it's one eyed head.

I was at a Beltain Ritual last night,(It's a Wicca thing) I stayed clothed for the Ritual, which was clothing optional, but stripped down for the hot-Tubbing afterwards, and even did a little dancing.

Interesting Ritual, I wound up bound to the Maypole, face to face with a Lassie who had reached it about the same time as me, because we stayed to help support the pole. She was the one cutting the ribbons, and she gave us both shorter ones, it seems.

So, to Sum up. You don't sport wood, cuz you realize you're not there to get sex. You're just there, and Nekkid, and so's everybody else.

Worst thing about nudity is not inadvertent erections, it's not having anyplace to put your smokes.
Old 04-28-2002, 04:57 PM
Thanks fighting ignorant. I've read all of his books and they kind of blend together.
Old 04-29-2002, 08:50 AM
I frequent Vancouver's Wreck Beach http://wreckbeach.org

The first thing I do to prevent an erection is use self-control. At the beginning of the season this is a little <ahem> stiff, but it gets better with practice.
Second, you can always go run into the water-- it tends to be a little cold, and one of the few times that you want to encourage shrinkage.
Third, you can always roll over onto your stomach for a while.
Fourth, if you're incredibly horny, DON'T GO TO THE BEACH. Because there will be some hotties there to catch your eye.
Fifth-- well, people know it happens, eh? As long as you're not doing anything with it, the collective will ignore it.

As for why I go, well, I hate picking sand out of my bathing suit.

and Guin, there's no age restrictions where I go.
Old 04-29-2002, 09:33 AM
I've been to nudist resorts and beaches and, as has been pointed out, it isn't a particularly erotic experience. Imagine being in any other social situation you can name (grocery store, your office, school, anywhere). Now, imagine that everyone is naked. There are people of every shape, size, age, and description there and it is, as I said, very unerotic (imagine your high school prinicipal naked). Of course, the sun does feel awfully good on your bare skin and if you happen to get an erection you don't pay any attention to it and it will go away. No one else is paying any attention to you and won't make a big deal out of it. It is a natural response, so, what the hell.
Old 04-29-2002, 09:39 AM
How do men in Nudist camps avoid erections?

Basically, I'm pretty quick on my feet.
Old 04-29-2002, 09:40 AM
Until I read Sedaris' book, I had never thought about how having "toilet seat ass" is probably much more of a worry that an unexpected salute.
Old 04-30-2002, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Griffin
I'd be walking about with a constant stiffy I think.
I believe we've already covered the "Janet Reno" aspect here. You'd get usd to the flesh display and it would go away.
Quote:
Originally posted by Surreal
Why should they try to avoid sporting wood?
Because it's rude, that's why.
Quote:
Originally posted by GopherGod72
ever wonder why they are always carrying a towel?
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy has a few things to say on the subject of towels:
Quote:
A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch hiker can have. Partly it has great practical value - you can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a mini raft down the slow heavy river Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand combat; wrap it round your head to ward off the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal; you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.

More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (a non-hitch hiker) discovers that a hitch hiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitch hiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitch hiker might accidentally have "lost". What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still know where his towel is is clearly a man to be reckoned with.

Hence a phrase which has passed into hitch hiking slang, as in "Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is."
Do you know where your towel is?
Old 04-30-2002, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by psiekier
Do you know where your towel is?
In a soggy heap on the bathroom floor, where it belongs.

Nonny
Old 04-30-2002, 02:49 PM
Quote:
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy has a few things to say on the subject of towels:
[...]
wrap it round your head to ward off the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal;
Which is such a mind-bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you.

Old 04-30-2002, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Interesting Ritual, I wound up bound to the Maypole, face to face with a Lassie who had reached it about the same time as me, because we stayed to help support the pole. She was the one cutting the ribbons, and she gave us both shorter ones, it seems.
So that's where she was. Meanwhile, Timmy's still stuck in the well.
Old 04-30-2002, 05:41 PM
Gay sort-of nudist chiming in

Well, every summer during my vacation I make a point to go to the nude beach at Oka, Québec, at least once or twice. The beach there is basically divided (albeit in a blurry way) between "textile," "straight," and "gay." I usually make the trek to the gay area.

I have no problems with getting an erection, though. I've seen a lot of semis, and I've seen cruising in the bushes. I'm used to gang showers and the like, so I learned a long time ago how to be around a bunch of naked guys without getting a hard-on, even if I find them hot.

If I were to get a stiffy, I'd just turn over on my towel, or put my bathing suit on.

- s.e.
I'm Geobabe's #1 Gay Boyfriend!
Old 04-30-2002, 06:26 PM
My total nudist experience is about three weeks' worth, but I can honestly say that, even for my horny younger self, it wasn't a problem. Nudity in and of itself isn't seductive. The breaking of taboos is seductive; seeing someone naked in a context where it's not allowed is seductive. But naked people wandering around, swimming, sunbathing, making lunch... not seductive. Now, had one of the more attractive ones whispered something suggestive in my ear, that'd be arousing. But when you've seen enough people naked, it's not an immediate sproing.

As a side note, most people there, of course, were average-looking. With a few at either end of the spectrum as well; dazzlingly beautiful, or scary enough to make Stephen King scream like a girl and cower under a picnic table until it got dark enough not to see.
Old 04-30-2002, 06:56 PM
BANNED
I went to UCSD at the time, they made Blacks beach the only nude legal beach in the USA. That
beach is right in front of UCSD & it was one of my favorite surfing spots. There was quite a
bit of hanky panky down there & hardone & tons of gawkers. I read its no longer a legal nude beach but
still people use it as such.
Old 05-01-2002, 03:41 AM
Look, I'm sure I'm not the most experienced "nudist" on these Boards, but I have to express my exasperation with some of you.

Over and over when people discuss spending time naked in groups some will express a "Oh, I don't want to see those saggy/wrinkly/hairy people hahaha " attitude, and it is so naive!

Guys, this kind of comment makes it clear what your first (unexpressed but definitely readable) reaction was - namely, "Oh boy! I can look at naked people!"

That kind of stuff is understandable in people of little life experience or education. But take it from me, although of course there can be some mild pleasure in looking at attractive naked people, it is really not much different from looking at clothed people after quite a short time. It is their faces you remember afterwards, not their dangly bits.

However, a more cogent point to make is that naturism or "Nudism" is not passive (about looking) but active (about being).

I go to the nude swim nights at a local pool because I really enjoy being naked and feeling the water and the air on my skin. To be at the secluded nude beach in South Australia, waist deep in the water, looking back at the cliffs and the sky and the birds, and feel at one with the natural world is an enormous high.

I suppose there is commonly a greater feeling of acceptance, because the kinds of judgements we make of clothed people cannot happen there, and doctors and janitors look strangely alike.

It can be a wonderful experience; I found it quite different from what I initially expected, and it's a source of innocent pleasure from time to time. Don't knock it.

Redboss
Old 05-01-2002, 11:18 AM
BANNED
"To be at the secluded nude beach in South Australia, waist deep in the water, looking back at the cliffs and the sky and the birds, and feel at one with the natural world is an enormous high. "

No no stonefish in those waters I assume? :-)
Old 05-01-2002, 11:52 AM
Regarding erections at nudist colonies/beaches:
Quote:
Because it's rude, that's why.
Why? For all the preachiness from nudists of how beautiful and natural nudity is, why is an erection any different? What, because its a sexual response, and nudists would have you remove any sexual aspect from nudity? Isn't a basic sexual response about as natural as you can get?

Sorry if I seem abrasive, but the attitude on this seems so wishy-washy.
Old 05-02-2002, 03:32 AM
Re: Gay sort-of nudist chiming in

Quote:
Originally posted by scott evil
The beach there is basically divided (albeit in a blurry way) between "textile," "straight," and "gay."
Textile?
Old 05-02-2002, 03:44 AM
Have been to many nude beaches, often with the kids in tow. Erect penises are not usually any bigger deal than - say - erect nipples. The one thing which "the group" does tend to keep an eye out for is perverts hiding in the bushes getting their jollies, or brandishing webcams and putting live feeds on the web (yes, this has happened in Australia).
Old 05-02-2002, 04:10 AM
After hearing Redboss and Reprise, I'm tempted to get me down to a nudist beach when summer comes around. I've always wanted to, but been afraid of being judged for my *ahem* less than perfect body.

There have been several times when I've slung my swimmers through my arm, and swam underwater free of anything, when the beach has been deserted, and I love the feeling... That's it, I'm going to do it. Thank you for inspiring me

The only other worry is sunscreen... I'll use lots of it !
Old 05-02-2002, 05:26 AM
Why nudity if not for any sexual purpose? I find clothes icky. I just plain don't like wearing them. I like the feel of water and air on my skin. Look at it this way: which feels better, taking a bath while wearing a jacket and pants, or taking a bath in the nude? Now extrapolate that feeling.

After a canoe trip while only occasionally wearing clothes due to the weather, it feels rather strange to return to civilization and have to deliberately wear clothes for modesty purposes. By analogy, after a nice vacation, how do you feel putting on a business suit for your first day back at work? Ick.

For me, context has a lot to do with my comfort level concerning nudity. I guess its that I don't want people looking at me unless I know that they will not think ill of me because of my body. Thus I am a pretty conservative dresser. I know that is dumb, but that's my comfort level (or lack thereof).

Since I have absolute trust in my close friends, I not only feel comfortable being nude with them, but actually have a preference for being nude with them. It's nice to be able to enjoy our bodies so openly together. A warm, comfy, togetherness feeling.
Old 05-02-2002, 10:30 AM
I visited Wreck Breach in Vancouver as well. It's near the University of British Columbia..so a fair number of college kids are there, but it also has your typical middle age folks there.

I remember that they had brochures there at the entrance. The brochures emphasized that "staring" and camera use were verbotten. My experience was that the novelty of seeing nekkid people wore off after about 5 minutes.

I also remembered that booze was prohibited, but that there were guys who would come around and discretely sell you a can of beer for a couple of bucks.

FWIW, "big jim and the twins" were under wraps on beagledave.
Old 05-02-2002, 11:09 AM
Re: Re: Gay sort-of nudist chiming in

Quote:
Originally posted by Rilchiam
Textile?
Textile as in cloth, i.e. clothing. Some sections of nude beaches (etc.) are 'clothing not allowed', but in others, it's 'clothing optional'. Comprende?