Old 05-02-2002, 08:50 AM
Charter Member
How to cook a Polish sausage

When I was a kid I was a member of the San Diego Navy Sailing Club, just a bit south of the amphib. base on Coronado Island. When it was too foggy to sail right away, I'd hang out in the cafeteria and have a Polish sausage and a cup of hot chocolate. This is how to cook a Polish sausage the SDNSC way:

Slice the Polish sausage crosswise, a little more than half way through. Space the slices 1/2" to 3/4" apart.

Turn the sausage over and slice in the same way between the previous slices.

Cook in hot oil. As it expands, the cuts you made will make it look like an accordion. But importantly, it A) allows the inside to cook quickly; and B) makes the outside of the slices a little "well done", which is tasty.

Drain the sausage on paper towels and put it onto a hot dog bun. Add mayonaise and chopped, raw, white onions.

I hear you thinking, "Deep fried Polish sausage? With mayonaise? I vomit in your general direction, you fiend!"

No, really. It's actually quite good. It'll kill you if you eat too many, but once or twice a year is probably okay. Go ahead. give it a try.

'Do not act incautiously when confronting a little bald wrinkly smiling man.' -- Lu-Tze
Old 05-02-2002, 10:51 AM
Surprisingly enough it's not the sausage cooked in oil that's turning me off. It's the mayo. :: shiver :: I'm not a mayo fan.

So would you allow a special dispensation so that I may substitute mustard instead??
Old 05-02-2002, 11:44 AM
I'll have to try this some time. It's got to be better than the ways my mom and grandmother (both Polish immigrants) used to cook it.

My grandmother would usually just slice it in half, then cut each half lengthwise, and fry the pieces up in a skillet. The outside tasted okay, but the flat (cutside) part was usually burned.

Mom used to cut the whole thing into 1/2" slices and throw the whole lot in with the fried cabbage she made all the time. Yuck! When she didn't have any Polish sausage, she'd use hot dogs.
Old 05-02-2002, 11:54 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member
I come from Polish stock - parents grew up in east Baltimore back when it was the Polish area of town. We'd buy fresh Polish sausage (not smoked), and boil it. Then we'd take some of the water and cook sauerkraut in it. We'd slice the sausage into 1/4" thick rounds and mix them into the sauerkraut. Goooooooooooood stuff.

And I just happen to have a fresh sausage in the freezer. I can get some kraut on the way home... mmmmmmmmm
Old 05-02-2002, 12:05 PM
GULP!!!
Old 05-02-2002, 12:08 PM
Charter Member
Oh, sure. There are lots of ways to cook Polish sausage. Grill it, slice it lengthwise and fry it, boil it, slice it crosswise and put it into beans, heat it up and eat it with saurkraut...

But you've got to try the accordion-sliced-and-deep-fried-and-served-on-a-hot-dog-bun-with-mayo-and-raw-onions method at least once.

I dunno, [b]scout[/i]... I suppose you could try it with mustard...

Speaking of mayo, though... In New Orleans I passed a sign fairly frequently that said Blue Plate Mayonaise. Since I'd never heard of Blue Plate brand mayo, my first thought was that it was some sort of New Orleans restaurant. I imagined the "blue plate special" was a plate of mayonaise. "Um, yeah. I'll have the blue plate mayonaise special. And can I get some gravy on that?"
Old 05-02-2002, 12:18 PM
Charter Member
First-generation American of Polish stock checking in...

Save for the mayonaisse (mayo? mayo on sausage? are you kidding me?) you've described the same method my Polish-born parents use. Well, actually, they usually fry the onions along with the sausage, but I also prefer them raw. Serve with strong mustard or horseradish.

But that method only applies to the reddish-brown smoked Polish sausage (the stuff almost everyone calls kielbasa.) The fresh white Polish sausage (biala kielbasa) is normally prepared as FairyChatMom said. Mmm. I think I know what I'm having for dinner...
Old 05-02-2002, 12:27 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
mayo on sausage? are you kidding me?
What? You put mayo on burgers, right? Actually, the mayo is the unconventional part of the whole thing. But it's good.

And you're right. It's the red, smoked sausage.

A co-worker picked a couple of avocados this morning and left them on my desk. Hm. I wonder how they'd taste with Polish sausage? (Actually, I don't even have any Polish sausage or hot dog buns. It's just something I was thinking of. FWIW, I was also thinking of poached salmon with a side of asparagus. Hey, with avocado with Miracle Whip as the salad! Now if only I had salmon and asparagus...)
Old 05-02-2002, 12:33 PM
Charter Member
What?!?! Mayo on burgers?!!
What funny things you Californians do...
Old 05-02-2002, 01:06 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
What?!?! Mayo on burgers?!!
What funny things you Californians do...
Okay, now you're just getting weird. I'll bet you don't even put avocado on your burgers. Or even on your BLTs or roast beef or tuna sandwiches.
Old 05-02-2002, 01:58 PM
Mayo on BLTs, yes. Roast beef, yes. Tuna, absolutely. Burgers, if you must.

Sausage? NO, NO, NO! That's just wrong! Mustard only, you phillistine!
Old 05-02-2002, 04:28 PM
Charter Member
Personally, I prefer my sausages grilled or boiled, but accordian-fried doesn't sound too bad. But mayonaise? My god, man, are you insane? Polish sausages are properly served with sauerkraut, with onions (fried or raw) and mustard optional. I could see maybe relish, if you want to be adventurous. But mayo? That's a waste of both the mayo and the sausage.
Old 05-02-2002, 05:26 PM
Charter Member
Yeah, mayo and sausage. Hey, that's the way they served it! Go a head and try it. Just a bite. Just a tiny, little bite.

Join usssssssssssss.....................
Old 05-03-2002, 06:03 AM
Charter Member
Hey Johnny...

So last night I gave it a try. Really. I wasn't kidding when I said I knew what I was gonna eat that night. Here are my observations.
(One note: I am not one of those people who despise mayonnaise. I actually quite like it.)

Well, it's not that bad, but the effect was akin to buttering your bacon. In a side by side comparison (with me and my SO) we decided that mustard is a far better complement. You see, your average Polish is so loaded with fat (usually 3:1 lean:fat ratio) that putting mayonnaise on it is just plain silly. Not only that, but your average Polish is also so garlicky and peppery that you can't even really taste the mayo.

You see, in our opinion, fatty foods should be served with something vinegary to cut through the heaviness. That's why relish, mustard, pickles and all that go really well with sausages or deep-fried food. Take a cue from the Brits (with their malt & vinegar, Branston pickle or Worcestershire sauce) or the Germans and Slavs who always accompany fatty pork dishes with things like sauerkraut, horseradish, pickled gerkhins, mustard, etc...
OK, so the Brits, Germans and Slavs aren't exactly known for their culinary prowess, but in this case, I think they got it right.

Oh, and there's really no need for additional oil. My two 6-inch links of sausage last night rendered a good 2-3 tablespoons of oil. You'll get the deep-fried effect whether you try or not.

Well, I tried, but was not converted...sorry...pass the mustard, please.
Old 05-03-2002, 06:19 AM
ehh mayo on a sausage isnt bad ..... My german ancestors must be rolling in their grave as i despise sauerkraut

Best thing is a sweet and spicy bbq sauce....

"theres no point in telling me that the wisdom of a fool cant set me free "
Old 05-03-2002, 08:12 AM
I've had grilled Polish sausage basted with sweet and spicy bbq sauce. Sooo good.
Old 05-03-2002, 08:16 AM
Charter Member
pulykamell: Thanks for trying! I know what you mean about putting fat with fat. A lot of people eat their fries with mayonaise, which I've tried but don't do. As far as the deep-fried polish sausage with mayo and raw onions, that's my favourite way. But as I said in the OP, not more than once or twice a year! (When I was a kid I'd have it a bit more frequently though.)

I was watching "Travels with Harry", or some show like that, and these two guys flew into a small airport and tried the local specialty: An incredibly large cheeseburger topped with lengthwise-sliced grilled Polish sausage. I imagined the flavour, and I imagine it's pretty snacky; but it was huge! I'm surprised they didn't overgross the aircraft on the way out.