Old 02-18-2000, 11:48 AM
BANNED
Someone came up to me, said this, then walked away knowingly. Anyone help at all. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2000, 02:22 PM
Quote:
then walked away knowingly
How do you walk away knowingly?

There was a thread about this but a couple of days ago, suggesting that it was a Masonic catchphrase (I'm suer that's not the right term, but you know what I mean).
Old 02-18-2000, 02:32 PM
Tubal-cain
Old 02-18-2000, 02:38 PM
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB
I am not, nor have I ever been, a Mason.

There are documents on the web that purport to contain the actual wording for the Master Mason's degree. Part of that degree, according to these documents, is the newly initiated Master Mason being told both the recognition signs and the phrase he may use as a "Grand Hailing Sign of Distress." That phrase, IIRC, is, "Oh Lord, Oh God, is there no help for the widow's son?"

Master Masons, according to the document, pledge to come to the aid of other Master Masons in distress.

I cannot imagine why someone would come up, say that, and then "walk away knowingly," whatever that means.

- Rick
Old 02-18-2000, 02:40 PM
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB
Quote:
Originally posted by Tinker Grey:
Tubal-cain

Boaz.

Shibboleth.

- Rick
Old 02-18-2000, 03:00 PM
Some Mason thinks that you looked like a Mason, which I guess is a compliment...

------------------
...but when you get blue, and you've lost all your dreams, there's nothing like a campfire and a can of beans!
Old 02-18-2000, 03:05 PM
Yes, it is a code pharse that mason's use to identify each other. He was testing you. Cann't tell you what the proper reply would be, I am not a mason. He might have been trying to look smug or perhaps he wasn't a mason and wanted you to think he was.
Most mason I have met are not smug.
Old 02-18-2000, 03:15 PM
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB
I don't think so.

Assuming the purloined web documents to be accurate, the phrase is a "Grand Hailing Sign of Distress." No Mason would use it to casually identify a brother Mason.

Masons receive, in each degree, a lesson on a whispered give and take protocol that they may use to identify each other. They are also instructed on recognition signs, placements of the hands and feet in such a way as to signal their Masonry to a brother.

"Spell it or halve it."

- Rick
Old 02-18-2000, 03:18 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
I was only fooling just then, really, I'd love to be a Mason! Masonry opens doors!

------------------
Uke
Old 02-18-2000, 03:23 PM
The information I got came from a masons son. The man has been dead for years now and the masons probably have changed there signals since then. But that would only confirm my belief that the man wasn't really a mason, but just wanted you to think he was one.
Old 02-18-2000, 03:52 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Me too, I'd love to be a mason! I've got a second-hand apron I can use!

But they wouldn't let me in, the black-balling bastards.
Old 02-18-2000, 04:02 PM
I recall a similar phrase was used as a Masonic sign in the great film "The Man Who Would be King" based on a Kipling story.
Old 02-18-2000, 04:04 PM
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB
Quote:
Originally posted by Arnold Winkelried:
Me too, I'd love to be a mason! I've got a second-hand apron I can use!

But they wouldn't let me in, the black-balling bastards.
Tell me this is either hyperbole or that you don't believe in a Supreme Being.

- Rick
Old 02-18-2000, 04:47 PM
Charter Member
According to Big Secrets, "The ballot box in the Lauterer catalog uses white balls and black cubes. (Losers are blackcubed, not blackballed.)"
Old 02-18-2000, 04:54 PM
Must've been the rotating knives, Arnold.
Old 02-18-2000, 04:58 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Bricker:
Tell me this is either hyperbole or that you don't believe in a Supreme Being.
It was Monty Python.
http://montypython.net/scripts/architec.php3

------------------
Official winner of Bricker Challenge #5.
Old 02-18-2000, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Arnold Winkelried:
It was Monty Python.
**Sigh**

How soon people forget. (I was nice and didn't say "VRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOooooooooom")

A friend and I went to see "Fierce Creatures" in the theater. There is a scene where a series of girls are diving into the pool, where one of the actors remarks "Beautiful Plumage". We laughed. Everybody around us looked at us, wondering what the joke was.

------------------
This sig not Y2K compliant. Happy 1900.
Old 02-18-2000, 08:13 PM
I have always heard that a mason would never hang. Meaning that the odds are that a mason would probably be on the jury and vote aquittal.

------------------
"I'm the best there is Fats. Even if you beat me, I'm still the best."
(Paul Newman in The Hustler)
Old 02-18-2000, 08:18 PM
Have you ever noticed that "The Crossing of the Desert" is quite similar to "The Unblinking Eye" and almost exactly like "The Wreck of the Hesperus"?
Old 02-19-2000, 12:01 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
and of course "The Paddling of the Swollen Ass... With Paddles."

[muttering]Patience, Alphie... climb the ladder...[/muttering]

------------------
Gypsy: Tom, I don't get you.
Tom Servo: Nobody does. I'm the wind, baby.
Old 02-21-2000, 06:13 AM
Quote:
I recall a similar phrase was used as a Masonic sign in the great film "The Man Who Would be King" based on a Kipling story.
IIRC, the dialogue in the film is very faithful to the book. The exchange in the book is as follows:

Quote:
... I ask you as a stranger--going to the West.' He said with emphasis.

'Where have you come from?' said I.

'From the East,' said he, 'and I am hoping that you will give him the message on the Square--for the sake of my Mother as well as your own.'
The implication in the book is that the entire passage which I've quoted is some sort of coded masonic communication. Kipling, being a Mason himself, doesn't state as much explicitly, but goes on to say:

Quote:
Englishmen are not usually softened by appeals to the memory of their mothers, but for certain reasons, which will be fully apparent, I saw fit to agree.
Old 02-21-2000, 09:45 AM
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB
Yes, I would suggest that those are definite Masonic allusions.

A Masonic lodge is set up with the senior officers placed as to correspond to compass directions: the Worshipful Master (the chief executive officer), in the East; the Junior Warden in the South; and the Senior Warden in the West. Approaching "from the East" in Masonic ceremonial implies coming from the Worshipful Master's station, which a candidate does as he is conducted about the room to learn the lessons of each degree.

On the Altar in each Lodge in a Drafting Compass, a Square, and a Bible. The positioning of the points of the Compass with respect to the Square indicate in what section the Lodge is tyled - Entered Apprentice (the First Degree), Fellow Craft (the Second Degree), or Master Mason (the Third Degree).

- Rick