Old 02-27-2000, 02:09 AM
BANNED
Recently, my friend asserted that distilled water was not safe to drink because it would cause you to lose minerals. That assertion seemed to violate common sense, in that you receive most of your minerals from your food. But, as I'm not an MD, I decided to check it out.

I found one site that did claim that drinking distilled water did have negative effects, but it sounded like bulls**t to me.

EARLY DEATH COMES WITH REGULAR DRINKING OF DISTILLED WATER

The FDA and EPA sites did not mention any health effects, pro, con or neutral other than the fact that the FDA regulates distilled water as a consumable product.

I know all the common sense arguments:
You get enough mineral content from food.
Any supposed deleterious effects of 'pure' water would be cancelled out; once the 'pure' water hit your stomach and was absorbed into the bloodstream, it's no longer pure.

------------------
He's the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armor, shouting 'All Gods are Bastards!'
Old 02-27-2000, 02:13 AM
No, it won't harm you, it's just'pure' H2O.

It's flavour leaves something to be desired, though; about as fun as watching paint dry!

------------------
VB

Changing my Sigline again 'cause Vebs'tummy is all better now!
Old 02-27-2000, 02:30 AM
BANNED
Do you *know* this? Scientific studies? Having you been drinking it for 30 years with no ill effects?
Old 02-27-2000, 03:29 AM
I can't see any reason why it should do any harm. The contribution of minerals to your diet from non-distilled water is tiny, and after it reaches your stomach and mixes with the contents it isn't distilled water anymore.
The only problem with it is that your mouth is accustomed to the taste of your own saliva, which contains salt. So flushing your mouth with distilled water leaves a sour taste as a reaction.
Old 02-27-2000, 09:52 AM
I recomend the link to everyone. Though the theory postulated seemed like cockamamie psuedo science, and at first I thought it one of the finest examples of half truths, misunderstandings and deliberate falsehoods I had read in years, one statement convinced me the author knew whereof he spoke ..."The most toxic commercial beverages that people consume (i.e. cola beverages and other soft drinks) are made from distilled water."...
There it is in a nut shell my friends.
Soft drinks are made from distilled water, soft drinks are bad for you, ergo, distilled water is bad for you. And all this time we thought it was the sugar and caffeine. If the bottlers would just switch to regular ol tap water they would have a "health beverage", better yet West Texas gyp water, that stuff will nuetralize battery acid.
PS To protect myself from any " Aqueous Product Defamation Law", I would like to state that I am sure that any distilled water,or any water, produced by the Ergo Co. is just fine.

------------------

"Pardon me while I have a strange interlude."-Marx
Old 02-27-2000, 10:27 AM
The web site is a hoot.

The excerpt that mr john quoted from the article, the notion asserted by Zoltan Rona that soft drinks are made from distilled water, is certainly a stretch. Distilled water is rather expensive to produce - you have to spend energy to heat the water to boil it, then wait for the energy to be dissipated while the water condenses. Bottlers don't carefully craft one can at a time, but thousands or millions. I would suspect that soft drinks are made from at best deionized, or more probably charcoal filtered water, which is what this person suggests is better for you anyway, and this will still "spill huge amounts of calcium, magnesium and other trace
minerals into the urine." And, it's not like the stomach is actually acidic or anything the destructive acid couldn't possibly come from our own digestive system. Most water consumed is not distilled water anyway, but "spring" water (or water straight out of the tap), which isn't close to distilled.

Reading the web site, I hear echoes of those people "tampering with our precious bodily fluids."

------------------
This sig not Y2K compliant. Happy 1900.
Old 02-27-2000, 10:39 AM
I hate to be the 'Peanut Gallery' but his Curriculum Vitae is somewhat imspressive, as are his articles and presentations.

Everything he says sounds like it could make sense....

He isn't saying that it it is bad for you, just that it takes away from something that IS good for you.

Can anyone provide a scientific rebuttal?

------------------
"Mmmmm, 64 slices of American Cheeeeese" -- Homer Simpson
If you need a graphic solution, http:\\talk.to\Piglet
Old 02-27-2000, 10:51 AM
This kind of alarmist claptrap reminds me of the "SLS (sodium laurel/laureth sulfate) in my shampoo" scare. I would be willing to bet that far more people suffer serious ill effects from drinking e-coli, Cryptosporidium, microsporidia and Giardia lamblia tainted water than suffer any ill effects from switching to distilled water.
Old 02-27-2000, 11:18 AM
BANNED
All water on the earth has been distilled plenty of times. It goes to the ocean, evaporates, becomes clouds & falls to the earth.

Distilled water is just like that. I love it, its the best, purest stuff. Use it in your car window washer fluid thing.

Designer water you buy was distilled by the earth, then it soaks up crap from the soil, rocks, mountains, streams, etc.
Old 02-27-2000, 02:09 PM
Why drink distilled water? It's expensive, and you have to go to the trouble to get it. Is there any benefit?
Peace,
mangeorge

------------------
I only know two things;
I know what I need to know
And
I know what I want to know
Mangeorge, 2000
Old 02-27-2000, 03:15 PM
Benefits? How 'bout if you live in a city that draws its water from the tail end of the great American sewer (i.e., the Mississippi River). Numerous studies have declared our city's water too contaminated too drink. Of course, just as many studies say otherwise. I figure why take the chance while they argue. I'm not drinking the stuff.

So I get my drinking water delivered, as do most of my neighbors. Why distilled rather than spring? I read some years back about the little bacterial nasties living in most home delivered spring water. The article recommended going with distilled if you had the choice. I did, so I do. Only costs a few cents more per bottle and I keep it so cold, I don't notice any difference in taste.

If I could shower with the stuff, I would.
Old 02-27-2000, 05:43 PM
The following is a commercial site but it does give several supporting studies that you might be able to find.

Does distilled water leach minerals...

"No, in fact, just the opposite has been found to occur in cellular research studies. It is a mistaken belief that drinking pure distilled water reduces valuable minerals from living human tissues....

Does drinking distilled water leach minerals from the body? No, quite the opposite. If inorganic minerals (and other substances like chlorine, heavy metals, bacteria, etc.) are removed from tapwater, by converting it into pure distilled water, the result is improved absorption of all nutrients, including minerals, and improved elimination of wastes at the cellular level. "
Old 02-27-2000, 05:44 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
When I worked for Coca-Cola, my office was right around the corner from the bottling line and I can testify: soft drinks are made with FILTERED tap water.

Mostly what get hurts with distilled water is your taste buds, the taste is vile.

There's actually a lot to be said for municipal tap water; most "natural" water is contaminated by something, including nasties like cryptosporidium and giardia. There is no such thing as "pure water" anywhere on this planet.

The great majority of bottled waters are simply filled from the local tap. You're paying for the convenience of it, or, if you live in an area where the water is full of sulphur or other naturally occuring substances that make the water taste odd or awful, you're paying not to taste it.

your humble TubaDiva
Old 02-27-2000, 07:19 PM
BANNED
Ahhhhh, nothing like Rocky Mtn. water....I feel so lucky to live in this area. The stuff in the tap tastes pretty good, glad I don't have to resort to bottled water of any kind
Old 02-27-2000, 07:30 PM
BANNED
distilled water is a whole lot cheaper than that evian crap. distilled water is bottled sterile so bacteria doesn't multiply for ages like it does in that evian crap.
Old 02-27-2000, 07:36 PM
The distilled water taps in the UCLA Chemistry building all said "Distilled Water Do Not Drink". To this day I wonder if there was something bad about drinking distilled water or if they just did not want everybody putting their own Sparkletts bottles under these taps.
Old 02-27-2000, 08:24 PM
It seems to me that drinking distilled water cannot be very good for the stomach lining. Remember that osmosis will drag ions from more concentrated source to the less concentrated. This would also cause the cells in your stomach lining to expand, which may make them more susceptible to the stomach acids.
I am not claiming that I have any hard evidence, but neither do any of the sites which had been provided. The site that claims drinking distilled water is good, is selling a distiller. Drinking deionized water leads too an early death seems like a bit of a stretch, but I have not seen the research.
The water coming out of the tap in the chemistry department is deionized water not distilled. This gives you all the benifits of distilled water plus the added flavor of dionizing resins. mmmmm goood
Old 02-27-2000, 08:55 PM
What about flouride? Don't most municipalities still add flouride to the water? If you're drinking distilled water (or spring water for that matter), are you at greater risk of tooth decay? Just wondering...
Old 02-27-2000, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by handy:
Use it in your car window washer fluid thing.
Only a west coaster or someone south of the Mason/Dixon would say this. :-)
Old 02-27-2000, 09:32 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
It seems to me that drinking distilled water cannot be very good for the stomach lining. Remember that osmosis will drag ions from more concentrated source to the less concentrated.
By the time the water hits the stomach, it's no longer distilled. Saliva alone will add contaminants. Once it mixes with the stomach acids, the chance it might leach out ions is practically zero.

The claim seems preposterous.

They probably didn't want you to drink from the distilled water tap out of fear of contamination; the water would no longer be pure.

------------------
"What we have here is failure to communicate." -- Strother Martin, anticipating the Internet.

sff.net/people/rothman
Old 02-27-2000, 11:21 PM
BANNED
Interesting responses. Some actual facts! If anyone knows about any controlled studies, please e-mail me. Thanks
Old 02-28-2000, 01:41 AM
Does a true life example count? My aunt and uncle get all their drinking water from a cistern which they then run through a distiller to make it safe and contaminent free. They have been doing this since 1962. There you go, drinking distilled water daily for 38 years with no ill effects, and still going strong. Draw your own conclusions.

------------------
All you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the right kind of people.
Old 02-28-2000, 01:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by handy:

Use it in your car window washer fluid thing.
Also in the radiator and battery (if the battery isn't sealed). The radiator to prevent mineral deposits, the battery to prevent a dead cell. And distilled water in your iron, if you use one, also to prevent mineral depsoits.

I used distilled water for making orange juice for about 15 years, with no ill effects. I also get spring water from the free taps whenever I go through Hot Springs, Arkansas.

------------------
"A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. You think when Jesus comes back, he ever wants to see a cross?" -- Bill Hicks
Old 02-28-2000, 01:51 AM
Quote:
Can anyone provide a scientific rebuttal?
Doesn't look like it.
Old 02-28-2000, 10:48 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Pure H20 is odorless and tasteless. If you find the taste of distilled water "vile," what you are saying is you miss the taste of the impurities you're accustomed to.
Old 02-28-2000, 10:58 AM
Charter Member
Down here, we gots Watermills: little windmill-shaped kiosk-type deals that sit out in parking lots. When I run out of good drinking water, I pull up my truck, fill my three, 5-gallon bottles (cost: a quarter a gallon), and drive off. I'm then set for weeks. The Watermills are serviced and cleaned daily, and (according to their sign) they shut themselves off if the water falls below a preset quality standard.

They're hooked up to the municipal water supply, but they get rid of the gunk, and that's all I ask. Lubbock water is famously undrinkable; 'cloudy' doesn't begin to describe it. Drinking Lubbock tap water actually makes me thirstier, since it's so mineral-heavy it sucks the existing moisture out of my mouth. Ugh.
Old 02-28-2000, 11:10 AM
BANNED
Alrightie,f rom ask.com:
Since it is pure water that your body needs, there is only one type of water suitable for
your body--distilled. Distilled water is the purest water available. Its nothing but water!
When your body needs water in addition to what you get from fruits and vegetables,
distilled water is unquestionably the best. Years ago there were some who argued against
distilled water saying that it would leach minerals out of your body. But there is no validity
to arguments against the use of distilled water. Not one bit of evidence proves anything but
the need for distilled water. The only minerals that distilled water will leach out of your
body are Inorganic ones that cannot be absorbed and hinder your health and vitality. Let
me explain further.

Your body can use only organic minerals. The only minerals distilled water will leach out of
your body are inorganic minerals, and in doing so youll avoid many common illnesses and
diseases. If it wee not for dust and air pollution, rainwater and distilled water would be
equivalent to each other. But, when even the purest rain water reaches the earth it quickly
becomes saturated with invisible inorganic minerals as it comes in contact with soil and
rock, collecting in streams, river, lakes, and underground aquifers. There is no more
benefit from drinking even the purest mineral water form a spring or well, than there
would be from eating a handful of finely ground soil or rock.
Old 02-28-2000, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by SingleDad:
Interesting responses. Some actual facts! If anyone knows about any controlled studies, please e-mail me. Thanks
I doubt seriously that you will find any good controlled studies on this. I can just imagine asking for a grant to do this study. "We are going to need 1000 people that will drink bottled water for the next 30 years. 500 will have distilled water, 500 tap water. They will not know what is in their bottle. Of course they will be paid, and we will have to do extensive medical testing on them, so we estimate the cost to be $2 million per year." Er, it ain't gonna happen. And you can't do the classic animal test of giving large amounts to rats over a short period of time, because too much water forced into a body can caust electrolyte imbalances that would skew the test. So I wouldn't waste a lot of time looking for studies.

------------------
"You can be smart or pleasant. For years I was smart.
I recommend pleasant."
Elwood P. Dowd
Old 02-28-2000, 11:21 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally posted by PUNdit:
[B] I doubt seriously that you will find any good controlled studies on this.
You're probably right. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

Quote:
I can just imagine asking for a grant to do this study. "We are going to need 1000 people that will drink bottled water for the next 30 years. 500 will have distilled water, 500 tap water. They will not know what is in their bottle. Of course they will be paid, and we will have to do extensive medical testing on them, so we estimate the cost to be $2 million per year."
(chortle)

However, You could have people drink it for a month and check for differences in the mineral content or something else against a control group. Or something... My experience in medical research is somewhat limited

------------------
He's the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armor, shouting 'All Gods are Bastards!'
Old 02-29-2000, 01:47 AM
Did a little exploring, and came up with this site:
http://execpc.com/~magnesum/

It is a "magnesium awareness" site, promoting an increase in magnesium in our diet. It doesn't seem to be selling anything (although I didn't look too closely) and it does have some papers on heart attack incidence in hard water and soft water areas:
http://execpc.com/~magnesum/lancet.html
http://execpc.com/~magnesum/anderson.html

These papers appear to be from proper peer-reviewed medical journals. They conclude that there is a statistically significant increase in the incidence of heart attacks in soft water areas. One paper attributes this to calcium and magnesium deficiency in the soft water areas, the other to magnesium deficiency only. So while distilled water won't do you any harm, it may be leaving you short of magnesium if you're not getting enough from your diet.

Of course, it could all be crap. Soft water and hard water areas are geographically seperate and there are any number of factors which can contribute to heart disease, so the correlation is suspect. (The first paper compares London with Glasgow for example, and takes no account of diet, regional genetics, smoking, stress etc. although it does mention exercise.)