Old 09-13-2002, 12:22 AM
Charter Member
What Did/Does '8 to the Bar' Mean?

This question is actually my father's.

In at least a couple of the Andrews Sisters' songs they use the phrase "8 to the bar", as in "he blows 8 to the bar". What does "8 to the bar" mean? The Andrews Sisters were popular in the 1940s and 50s and even the 60s to a certain degree.

Old 09-13-2002, 12:24 AM
Eight beats to the measure.

#
Old 09-13-2002, 12:53 AM
Graphite is a great
"Beat me Daddy, eight to the bar."
Old 09-13-2002, 12:58 AM
What Did/Does '8 to the Bar' Mean?

Actually, 8 notes to the (usually) 4 beat bar, or measure, or twice as fast as the beat (or two notes to each beat). One element of marking musical time is the measure, which can have a variety of number of beats in it, the most common being four. In swing and jazz music, which was popular when this phrase was used, the 4 beat measure was used most of the time. When counting the beats per measure, you would count 1-2-3-4-, one per beat. 8 notes to the measure or bar would be counted 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & .

When doing an ad lib solo, a common occurance in jazz, where a player played a solo that is made up on the spot, with the melody and rhythm being created by the player (but within the harmonic structure of the rest of the accompaniment). The soloist had the choice of playing fast within the beat pattern and harmony, or slow, or any combination. Generally speaking, the faster, or the more notes played, the more difficult and energetic the solo was. Thus, an excited fan or listener, or fellow band member, might call out to a soloist this phrase, which I've actually heard as part of an several old Big Band songs - "Beat me, Daddy, 8 to the bar!" . Or, in more modern vernacular, "Wail on that axe (guitar), dude, speed-metal style!"
Trivia question - The name and performer of the song in which "beat me, Daddy, Eight to the bar!" is a prominent phrase?????
Old 09-13-2002, 02:04 AM
Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy

He was a famous trumpet man from old Chicago way
He had a boogie style that no one else could play
He was the top man at his craft
But then his number came up and he was gone with the draft
He's in the army now, a-blowin' reveille
He's the boogie-woogie bugle boy of Company B

They made him blow a bugle for his Uncle Sam
It really brought him down, because he couldn't jam
The Captain seemed to understand
Because the next day the Cap' went out and drafted a band
And now the company jumps when he plays reveille
. . . .
And when he plays he makes the company jump
Eight to the bar
Old 09-13-2002, 04:10 AM
Can't find the lyrics, but a cursory search on Google suggests that Beat Me Daddy 8 To The Bar is a song in its own right.
Old 09-13-2002, 05:59 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally posted by aldiboronti
Can't find the lyrics, but a cursory search on Google suggests that Beat Me Daddy 8 To The Bar is a song in its own right.
Your right, it is. My father and I have one of their tapes at home, and it's on there.
Old 09-13-2002, 06:02 AM
Charter Member
Beat Me Daddy, Eight to the Bar lyrics as sung by the Andrews Sisters.
Old 09-13-2002, 06:09 AM
Charter Member
You can hear the melody here if you want. (I think the Andrews Sisters sing it faster though.)
Old 09-13-2002, 05:23 PM
Graphite is a great
TSO Nice post.

Once again, this mesmerizing board sucks another one into its vortex.

Welcome.
Old 09-13-2002, 05:37 PM
Or if the Andrews Sisters is a tad too dated for your taste, the baseline from the "Peter Gunn Theme" would be another example.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:04 PM
Woody Herman

I have an old record of Beat Me Daddy Eight To
The Bar.
Artist is Woody Herman
Album is Classic Swing
Old 07-18-2014, 10:17 PM
I always figured it was referring to using eight 8th notes per measure in 4/4 time.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:21 PM
SD Curator of Critters
Moved to Cafe Society. Note that this thread was started in 2002.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator
Old 07-19-2014, 06:59 AM
This thread is from the ancient pre-YouTube days. Beat Me Daddy, Eight to the Bar-The Andrews Sisters
Old 07-19-2014, 07:19 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Prize View Post
This thread is from the ancient pre-YouTube days. Beat Me Daddy, Eight to the Bar-The Andrews Sisters
My Beloved is wondering why the Andrews Sisters is drifting through the house now.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:01 AM
Charter Member
Or as the Sisters so elegantly put it:

Toot toot toot-diddelyada, toot-diddelyada, toot-toot
Old 07-20-2014, 02:10 AM
Not nearly as far back in time as the Andrews Sisters (1971) was Commander Cody and The Lost Planet Airmen with the album Lost in the Ozone.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:15 AM
When you hear the whistle blowing eight to the bar, then you know that Tennessee is not very far. Shovel all the coal in, got to keep it rollin', woo hoo, Chattanooga, there you are!
Old 07-20-2014, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Jeff View Post
I always figured it was referring to using eight 8th notes per measure in 4/4 time.
Right, as stated here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSO View Post
Actually, 8 notes to the (usually) 4 beat bar, or measure, or twice as fast as the beat (or two notes to each beat). ... 8 notes to the measure or bar would be counted 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &