Old 03-18-2000, 11:32 AM
Hey, I like to say this and someone at work asked be whence it came, and I realized i didn't know. Someone else said that Andrew Dice Clay says it a lot, which don't mean much to me, but I woundered where this expression started?
Larry
Old 03-18-2000, 12:15 PM
Well I always thought it grew out of the standard drum rimshot but that's just a WAG.
Old 03-18-2000, 02:07 PM
Beekman ? Sat the show? Good God!!! Larry Fine messin around in a lab!! And with a giant rat yet. It's the end of the world as we know it! What a movie, The Pie That Creamed the World. Fine's revenge for always being the 3rd Stooge. Even with Besser, all he ever got to do was say " Ah,leave him alone."

------------------

"Pardon me while I have a strange interlude."-Marx
Old 03-18-2000, 02:23 PM
James Caan uses the phrase in "The Godfather" when he tells Al Pacino how difficult it will be to kill "The Turk" and the police captain. Something along the lines of "You gotta get up close to the guy and 'bodda bing' you blow his brains out."

Or something like that.
Old 03-18-2000, 04:19 PM
I've always associated this expression with the Italians from Brooklyn. It's the kind of thing Joe Peshi or Vinnie Barbarino would say.
Old 03-18-2000, 08:22 PM
i remember it from "moonlighting"; mid 80's show with bruce willis and cybill shepard
Old 03-18-2000, 09:34 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
People, people! Repeat after me:

"Bada-bing"

Don't you watch The Sopranos?

------------------
Gypsy: Tom, I don't get you.
Tom Servo: Nobody does. I'm the wind, baby.
Old 03-19-2000, 01:34 AM
Charter Member
The first time I noticed the phrase used a lot was in a kids show...help me here...the wierd scientist with the Larry Fine hairdo and an assistant dressed like a rat.
Old 03-19-2000, 10:23 AM
Charter Member
I've always assumed it was the verbalization of a rim-shot.

------------------
"I must leave this planet, if only for an hour." -- Antoine de St. Exupéry

Are you a turtle?
Old 03-19-2000, 11:30 AM
Ok, good answers all, I had the feeling it came from some sort of East Coast/jersey/new york/italian kinda thing, anyone know an earlier use than The Godfather?
Larry
Old 03-20-2000, 12:28 AM
Uhh, a verbalization of a rim shot is ba-dum bum kshhh

--Tim

------------------
We are the children of the Eighties. We are not the first "lost generation" nor today's lost generation; in fact, we think we know just where we stand - or are discovering it as we speak.
Old 03-20-2000, 02:46 AM
Earliest cite:
Genesis 3:24 -- "And from the nothingness, He created light, bada-bing bada-boom. And he saw that it was good."

------------------
Voted Best Sport
And narrowly averted the despised moniker Smiley Master

Forward deployed until 18AUG00
Old 03-20-2000, 11:06 AM
ROTFLMAO
Old 03-20-2000, 06:21 PM
I don't know about its origins, or care. In fact

I HEREBY BANISH THIS PHRASE FROM THE ENGLISH AND ALL OTHER LANGUAGES OF THE UNIVERSE.

Thank you.

------------------
Dee da dee da dee dee do do / Dee ba ditty doh / Deedle dooby doo ba dee um bee ooby / Be doodle oodle doodle dee doh http://members.xoom.com/labradorian/
Old 03-20-2000, 08:48 PM
In your dreams Labrador boy
Old 03-21-2000, 01:34 AM
Charter Member
Tim:
Quote:
Uhh, a verbalization of a rim shot is ba-dum bum kshhh

Yes; and the verbalization of the OP was originally no doubt ba-da-boom, ba-da-bing, not the other way around.(People have been saying it without knowing what they were saying). Bing=ksssh, although ksssh comes closer.

------------------
Disable Similes in this Post
Old 03-21-2000, 07:28 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Bing=ksssh, although ksssh comes closer.
Depends on how you hit the cymbal.