Old 11-02-2002, 12:07 PM
"Big Boot" reference in Simpson's Australian visit- What does it refer to?

At one point in this episode the Bart's punishment is to be kicked with a giant boot. What does this giant boot as punishment refer to in the context of Australian politics/justice/culture?
Old 11-02-2002, 12:47 PM
I always thought that it wasn't aimed at Australia at all, but was taken from the incident where an American was caned for vandalism in Singapore a few years back. I thought making it a boot in Australia instead of a cane in Singapore was their way of "keepin' it wacky."
Old 11-02-2002, 02:09 PM
Among all the other ridiculous pseudo-Oz-isms in that episode is a rather glaring contradition. When Bart first calls Tobias and tells him to check the neighbor's toilet, Tobias hops on his bike and goes on a six hour round trip to the neighbor's and back. Later on, when Tobias's father says he'll complain about the phone bill to his Member of Parliament, he just yells "Hey, Gus!" out the window, suggesting the neighbor is only a short distance away.

I still find the episode hysterical, by the way.
Old 11-03-2002, 01:42 AM
I really dislike most of that episode, simply because there are so many things that would be ten times funnier to make fun of in Australia than that stupid boot thing (which I've no idea what its based on). Some parts were good, like the giant can of beer, coffe/beer argument, but in general, that was a pretty lame episode.
Old 11-03-2002, 02:57 AM
Disparaging The Boot is a bootable offence!

And yes, I believe it was a reference to the Singapore caning incident. Well, that's what I've heard, anyway.
Old 11-03-2002, 08:41 AM
I'm with rynn. There could've been far more subtle ways to do that episode rather than every lowest common denominator joke. It would've been funnier if it had been a little more grounded in the real world. IMHO.
Old 11-03-2002, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Among all the other ridiculous pseudo-Oz-isms in that episode is a rather glaring contradition. When Bart first calls Tobias and tells him to check the neighbor's toilet, Tobias hops on his bike and goes on a six hour round trip to the neighbor's and back.
Not to mention that Australia is more urbanised than the US.
Old 11-03-2002, 10:16 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
If you're gonna critisize the ep for anything, knock it for perpetuating the toilet-flushes-the-other-way myth, although the patriotic toilet flush compenator makes for some great comedy. With the American flag on it and everything.

I thought it was more of a mockery of American stereotypes of Aussies. My guess is none of the writers have a knowledge of the more subtle aspects of Australian society, so they just went with what most Americans know of Australia: what was marketed to us during the brief Jacko/Men At Work pop culture fad. Toss in a little of the Bruce imagery from Python and you have your episode.

edited to fix my own url --Alpha

Last edited by Alphagene; 11-03-2002 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-03-2002, 11:21 AM
The Simpsons will soon be banned all over the world. Brazil hates 'em, Louisiana hates 'em. New Yorkers love the New York one. We sometimes make pets of the CHUDs.
Old 11-03-2002, 11:34 AM
On the toilet thing, not only is the rotation thing a myth, but we don't even have those sorts of toilets. Our "pool" is much smaller and the flush process is more waterfall than whirlpool. The flush water all comes from around the rim. The first time I saw a North American toilet I thought it was broken.
Old 11-03-2002, 06:58 PM
Charter Member
That and the monorail episode are my favorites.

Oddly enough, they are the only two written by Conan O'Brien.
Old 11-03-2002, 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Biggirl
The Simpsons will soon be banned all over the world. Brazil hates 'em, Louisiana hates 'em. New Yorkers love the New York one. We sometimes make pets of the CHUDs.
Ironic how people can get so worked up over it. It makes fun of anything and everything, and yet people seem to think they are being singled out.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:14 AM
HPL, it's one of the Universal Vanities:

When they make fun of "them", it's the gospel truth.

When they make fun of "us", it's vile slander and lies.

Applicable to any motion picture, newspaper article, printed literature, television or radio show, or simple gossip.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mahaloth
That and the monorail episode are my favorites.

Oddly enough, they are the only two written by Conan O'Brien.
Don't forget: Homer Goes to College - Conan O'Brien

and, by the way: Bart vs. Australia - Bill Oakley & Josh Weinstein

source.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by jayjay
HPL, it's one of the Universal Vanities:

When they make fun of "them", it's the gospel truth.

When they make fun of "us", it's vile slander and lies.

Applicable to any motion picture, newspaper article, printed literature, television or radio show, or simple gossip.
True, but still, considering the simpsons makes fun of the US more then anyone or anything else, you'd think one episode making fun of (insert any other country here) could be forgiven.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:37 PM
Yes, but you can make fun more intelligently than resorting to really bad stereotypes. I can imagine what a Simpsons-do-the-UK episode would be like, but I'd hope they'd steer clear of the really obvious Friends-style cliches.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:39 PM
I like it when right after someone starts a thread the episode then appears on TV.

I also really liked the US Embassy gate "Made With Pride in the USA."
Old 11-05-2002, 06:42 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Crusoe
Yes, but you can make fun more intelligently than resorting to really bad stereotypes.
I always thought the Mr. Sparkle one was hilarious, even though it had some pretty bad Japanese stereotypes. All depends on the quality of the jokes I suppose...
Old 11-05-2002, 06:46 PM
Quote:
True, but still, considering the simpsons makes fun of the US more then anyone or anything else, you'd think one episode making fun of (insert any other country here) could be forgiven.
Not the episodes where they make fun of Republicans! They always depict Republicans as evil, cruel, heartless, and rich... and not all of us are rich!
Old 11-05-2002, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Biggirl
Slight hijack: What are the CHUDS?
Old 11-05-2002, 07:11 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
C.H.U.D.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:14 PM
Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers

end hijack
Old 11-05-2002, 07:30 PM
Aaaaaaah. I is informed. Merci.
Old 11-05-2002, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bryan Ekers
Among all the other ridiculous pseudo-Oz-isms in that episode is a rather glaring contradition. When Bart first calls Tobias and tells him to check the neighbor's toilet, Tobias hops on his bike and goes on a six hour round trip to the neighbor's and back. Later on, when Tobias's father says he'll complain about the phone bill to his Member of Parliament, he just yells "Hey, Gus!" out the window, suggesting the neighbor is only a short distance away.
You don't happen to own shirt that says "Genius at work," do you?
Old 11-06-2002, 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by SPOOFE

Not the episodes where they make fun of Republicans! They always depict Republicans as evil, cruel, heartless, and rich... and not all of us are rich!
And the Republicans have Bob Dole read from the Necronomican.

I'd actually join the party if that were true (speaking as someone who votes mostly, but not exclusivly republican, but belongs to no political party).
Old 11-06-2002, 02:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Crusoe
Yes, but you can make fun more intelligently than resorting to really bad stereotypes. I can imagine what a Simpsons-do-the-UK episode would be like, but I'd hope they'd steer clear of the really obvious Friends-style cliches.
You mean you've never seen "The Big Book of British Smiles" ?!
Old 11-06-2002, 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Cat Fight
You don't happen to own shirt that says "Genius at work," do you?
Not quite, but your flip remark does raise certain unpleasant Grade 6 memories which I won't go into now.

Anyhoo, this isn't just a matter of petty nitpicking. The contradiction is between two seperate slams at Australia:
  • Tobias goes to the neighbors and has to ride over the horizon: i.e. Ozzies are rural and isolated.
  • Tobias's father, Bruno, wants to complain to his MP and just yells "Gus!" out the window, i.e. there is no formality or sophistication to Australian government. Even worse (and a lot funnier) is when "Gus" decides to "take this all the way to the Prime Minister" and walks down to a lake to yell at "Andy", who is floating naked in an inner tube.

I can see why Ozzies might be upset at this, but I'm cracking up just remembering them.

Now, the episode where the Simpsons went to Toronto wasn't funny at all.
Old 11-06-2002, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Tobias's father, Bruno, wants to complain to his MP and just yells "Gus!" out the window, i.e. there is no formality or sophistication to Australian government. Even worse (and a lot funnier) is when "Gus" decides to "take this all the way to the Prime Minister" and walks down to a lake to yell at "Andy", who is floating naked in an inner tube.
This doesn't upset me. It's unfortunately true. The member of parliament for the seat that the tiny country town I grew up in is located is a farmer. And he's our Deputy Prime Minister. It's so embarrasing. I mean, a farmer!

And, well, I couldn't see Johnny Howard floating in an inner tube in the middle of a lake, but one of our former Prime Minister's response to being kicked out of office was to go home and eat a big steak. That's almost Simpsonian.
Old 11-06-2002, 07:09 AM
Charter Member
Well I think the few Irish ref.'s were funny.

The Drunken poets float in the Paddy's Day parade
The little leprechaun in one of the Treehouse of Horrors episodes
The bigger leprechaunish character who answered gramdpa's "We kicked the Irish out in ought 8" with "A fine job ya did too" while smoking a clay pipe.

Fuck it, it's the Simpsons.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by hawthorne
On the toilet thing, not only is the rotation thing a myth, but we don't even have those sorts of toilets. Our "pool" is much smaller and the flush process is more waterfall than whirlpool. The flush water all comes from around the rim. The first time I saw a North American toilet I thought it was broken.
I'm beginning to wonder whether Aussies toilets are unique. I've seen (well, used) systems in Singapore and Malaysia (excluding the squat-style toilets) that resemble this description you've given, hawthorne.

Veering back to the OP, I thought this episode of the Simpsons was incredibly offensive when I first saw it. 'Course, I'm was a overly-sensitive teenager at the time. (I've since gotten over myself ) I still don't think it's a terribly funny episode, but it's pretty harmless.

BTW, have any Australians seen this episode on TV in recent years? I remember the few times it did screen it caused something of a overly-sensitive-teenager-style mini outrage. I have an inkling that as a result Channel Ten doesn't show it anymore.

I remember a certain article appearing in a TV magazine after the episode screened the first time. The reviewer was, shall we say, pissed off by the episode in question:

Bart: "Hey, I think I hear a dingo eating your baby!"*
Reviewer: "Hey, I think I hear a gunman shooting your president!"
Old 11-06-2002, 10:02 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Narrad
I'm beginning to wonder whether Aussies toilets are unique. I've seen (well, used) systems in Singapore and Malaysia (excluding the squat-style toilets) that resemble this description you've given, hawthorne.
Ireland and the UK have these types of toilets and the majority that I've seen in Mainland Europe.
Old 11-07-2002, 11:53 AM
Steering this away from dicussions of toilet flow...
Narrad, I think Channel ten has shown it quite a few times because I remember it pretty well.

Quote:
Originally posted by rynn
I really dislike most of that episode, simply because there are so many things that would be ten times funnier to make fun of in Australia than that stupid boot thing (which I've no idea what its based on). Some parts were good, like the giant can of beer, coffe/beer argument, but in general, that was a pretty lame episode.
I agree with rynn. I could have written more funnier stuff about Australia that was more subtle. But I like the stamps with the "30 years of electricity" on them. Because Australia Post actually had a series like that years ago with "30 years of the Cochlear implant" and stuff.
Old 11-07-2002, 12:24 PM
I've always taekn the episode to be a knock on blatant steroetypes. Tere is one part of the episode where they are in front of the Parliament building and it clearly says Austria and someone forced into it an extra 'al'. For me that seems an indication that it was a big 'ol joke on us and not on Australia. At first I wasn't enamored with the episode, but it has grown on me. And I personally think the scene where Homer sings God Bless America and sheds a tear at the toilet flushing the American away is the greatest scene in Simpson's history.
Old 11-07-2002, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tretiak
And I personally think the scene where Homer sings God Bless America and sheds a tear at the toilet flushing the American away is the greatest scene in Simpson's history.
No, that's the "Now I'm in America! Now I'm in Australia!" *POW* "Here in America we don't take that kind of crap SIR!" scene.