Old 12-19-2002, 11:02 AM
BANNED
Developing New Birthmarks?

This morning I was doing my breast exam in the mirror and I noticed a new birthmark (?) on my ribcage. It's a dark purple blob, sort of like a drop of wine, smaller than a dime.

It's not a mole, it's not raised from the skin...it looks just like the strawberry birthmark on my thigh.

Is it possible to develop 'birthmarks' at the age of thirty or is this one of things that I should be losing sleep over?

More importantly...IS THIS I SIGN THAT I'M PREGNANT????

sigh...didn't think so.
Old 12-19-2002, 11:40 AM
I developed a small one on my calf a few years ago, a little smaller than a pencil eraser. I did keep an eye on it though, you know, for skin cancer and all that. It's never changed size or shape or anything. You should definitely pay attention to any changes in yours, especially if it's purple.

Heh, maybe it's the only evidence of an alien abduction last night.
Old 12-19-2002, 11:43 AM
BANNED
oh GREAT. One more thing to worry about

I'll definitely keep an eye on it. Although I haven't been out in the sun or anything for a while.
Old 12-19-2002, 12:01 PM
Could it be Molluscum Contagiosum (http://aad.org/pamphlets/molluscum.html)?
Old 12-19-2002, 12:03 PM
BANNED
I don't think so. It's not risen from the skin or different in texture in anyway. It's just a discoloration.
Old 12-19-2002, 12:18 PM
Have you been born again?
Old 12-19-2002, 12:36 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
I have something similar on my ribcage, along my bra line. I think my mom does too. Her doctor told her it was a fungus (crazy, i know, because it's not raised). I don't think he gave her anything for it. I don't really know other details, and I've never had mine looked at. Mine's about the size of a quarter now.

If yours is along your bra line too perhaps it's a common thing that happens in that area because of the daily covering-up of the area, the way sweat is trapped, or the general warm darkness of the area.

If you're worried maybe ask your Dr.
Old 12-19-2002, 12:51 PM
BANNED
Hmm...it is on the bra line...perhaps that's the answer!
Old 12-19-2002, 01:58 PM
Charter Member
How do you expect us to give you anysort of valuable information without pictures.

As others said, watch it closely. If it changes in size, see a Doc right away. Bad signs are if it is asymmetric or if part of it is a different color than other parts.

Haj