Old 01-21-2003, 04:55 PM
Celery: Rib or stalk?

My mom wanted me to ask this: Is a celery "stalk" the bunch that you buy, with the twist-tie around it, while a "rib" is the individual stalk, like you put in a Bloody Mary?

I think the terms "rib" and "stalk" are interchangeable...but if so, then what do you call the whole bunch? A "head"?
Old 01-21-2003, 05:03 PM
Charter Member
A quick peruse of Google shows "stalk" used for both the whole thing and one rib -- although I did find one site that said UK usage is "head" (whole thing) and "stick" (one rib). Personally, I try to use "head" or "bunch" for the whole thing and "stalk" for one unit. I've never used "rib," although I recognize it as a legitimate term.

You know, this kinda reminds me of the ubiquitous story about the cook who didn't know the difference between a head and a clove of garlic . . .
Old 01-21-2003, 06:30 PM
To me rib is reserved for meat, stalk is the term I would use for a single piece of celery and head i would use for the whole thing.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 PM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: michael phelps underbite left handed thread medela symphony battery fishnet legal seafoods motorolla dch3416 torturing insects leg bouncing zut alors pronunciation pi movie explained removing concrete sidewalk jake breaking generic beer doghouse riley dope instagram names zombie nation sports 57 wpm professional chef cookware saucer cup medical technologists forum uncommon valor quote musk glands sterilize needle ubox vs upack clown eggs make methylamine green licorice rope eat rubber army circumcision cartoons vs animation whiskey gut staples gift certificate duckman imdb my back button doesn't work why are weber grills so expensive red porch light meaning is it safe to swim in the ocean at night how could you be so obtuse why do my eyes water every morning does sheep's milk have lactose average shoe size per height potato in exhaust pipe is light a form of matter ss lightning bolts tattoo how reliable is carfax steroid dose pack for bronchitis murder she wrote lyrics meaning where to buy a hitachi magic wand massager in store how to extract roms from cartridge holding a break and a peek why don't anime characters have noses landscape spikes home depot total recall eye bulge prn job type meaning abdominal ultrasound fasting water why does chloroform knock you out light fixture keeps blowing bulbs does lending club contact your employer he was born a pauper to a pawn double edge razor walmart what happens if you ingest dish soap coughing up mucus for months fatty fatty two by four rhyme 5th grader kissing her bf removing jalapeno oil from hands