Old 12-17-1999, 10:37 PM
Charter Member
This came up in chat when I used the term BFE and no one had heard it. I've heard it used in two different states so I took it for granted that it was a national term. Has anyone else heard/used it? Usage: "I'm parked way out in BFE" (I'm parked far away) "He lives out in BFE" (he lives out in the boonies)

------------------
--
Teeming Millions: http://fathom.org/teemingmillions
"Meat flaps, yellow!" - DrainBead, naked co-ed Twister chat
O p a l C a t
opalcat.com
Old 12-17-1999, 10:43 PM
I've always heard it said as "Bum-Fuck Egypt."
Old 12-17-1999, 10:52 PM
I have not heard that term in years. I think you are dating yourself.

------------------
Libby's Mom
Sandra
Old 12-17-1999, 10:53 PM
Only time I ever heard of BFE was in a thread about Assboink.

------------------
JMcC, San Francisco, JJM's page from the Bay
If I were beaned with a fastball, fling my limp, lifeless body to first, cause, dammit, I earned it!
Old 12-17-1999, 10:55 PM
Never heard that. I have heard Egypt used to refer to something being far away (where I parked, etc.), but never with the profanity.
Old 12-17-1999, 11:06 PM
Bum-fucked Egypt- yeah, plenty of times, in relation to where I live (rural Mississippi). Ah do git the furst pahrt... But if anyone has a clue to the "Egypt" reference, do tell.
Old 12-17-1999, 11:07 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Well, I guess I'm a dated midwesterner, too. Though the variation I always heard was "East BF Egypt".
Old 12-17-1999, 11:23 PM
Ugh, yes, unfortunately I know that expression. In fact, recently I was thinking of starting a thread to see if anyone else had (or mentioning it in the "That makes you sound dumb" thread). Sorry, Opal, but I hate that expression. Seems so insulting to Egypt.

------------------
"I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it," Jack Handy

The Kat House
Join the FSH Webring
Old 12-18-1999, 04:01 AM
I don't think it's a regional term, because my friends and I use it all the time here in the avant garde Midwest. Well, we used to. We've shortened it a bit. Instead of saying that "I had to park way the hell out in BFE." we just say, "I got myself a nice little Egyptian spot."

We never said Butt-Fucked Egypt, though. It was always Bumfuck Egypt.

------------------
"Wednesday the 15th - Chris made one of her rare good points today."
Guanolad
Old 12-18-1999, 04:42 AM
While I was in high school (in the fantabulous far-northwestern suburbs of Chicago) we said BFI, which I believe stood for butt-fucking Iowa. (Sorry, Chris!) I didn't hear BFE until much later - I think when I went to University of Iowa, actually.

That reminds me, why does the wind come from the west? Because Iowa blows
Old 12-18-1999, 05:06 AM
The term used here on the Texas Gulf Coast is Bummf**k Egypt.
I have been hearing and useing it for years, so it is not just a midwestern saying.

Peace
t lion

------------------
Old 12-18-1999, 09:29 AM
I hear the phrase as "Bum Fuck Idaho" sometimes too.

------------------
"Hope is not a method"
Old 12-18-1999, 09:37 AM
Here in politically correct Cincinnati, you park in East (or West) Bu-Fu, which is short for East (West) Butt Fuck.

No mention of Egypt, or Idaho.
Old 12-18-1999, 09:39 AM
Bum Fuck Egypt is a term that is alive and well here in Florida.
Old 12-18-1999, 09:52 AM
Haven't heard it as much lately, but it's still around. Here, (southeast MI) it stood for butt-fucking Egypt.
Old 12-18-1999, 09:57 AM
Gee, I thought everybody heard/used this one, only I've heard it as "Buttfuck, Egypt," and (similarly) "Buttfuck, Idaho." Never heard "BFE" but of course, it means the same thing. I'm originally from Texas, although I've heard plenty of folks use it here in CA.

------------------
StoryTyler
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
C'mon up and see me sometime.
Old 12-18-1999, 10:04 AM
Never heard the phrase before. I have heard the similer 'East Bum-fuck'

------------------
~There is no statute of limitations on karma~
Old 12-18-1999, 11:15 AM
Charter Member
A few years ago I was invited to a cabin owned by a friend's parents. There were a bunch of guys going to spend the weekend, hang out, play some pool, do some drinking.

Anyway, as we were driving to the cabin, we were given warnings by my friend and his cousin not to act like typical big-city jerks in the local town. "These cops won't give you a break, people. Remember, we're way the hell out here in Bumblefuck, Pennsylvania."

Coming from his cousin, who was an ex-Marine, I'd always thought it was a military expression. Loved it, though.
Old 12-18-1999, 11:25 AM
Along with "bum-fucked Egypt" we'd also say "East Jesus" for someplace way out in the boonies, or a parking spot at the farthest end of the lot. This is in central California. I can see why Egypt would be used to mean someplace far away (after all it is), but I could never figure out why being fucked in the bum would make it even farther, or why we said Egypt and not, say, China or Antarctica. Have not the remotest clue what "East Jesus" could mean (and no, Im not particularly fond of the profanity - or would it be blasphemy? - either). It's just what we said.

------------------
the Artist Formerly Known as Kara
Old 12-18-1999, 11:35 AM
BANNED
OpalCat,

That is a term frequently used here on the Front Range of Colorado.

Usually it refers to small towns or those that live out east of here....sometimes also referred to BFK or Butt Fuck Kansas.

No offense to those that live in Kansas, but anything east of the city of Colorado Springs means, you might as well be in Kansas. I think it has to do with the fact that on a clear day, you apparently can see Kansas from the top of Pikes Peak.

Another term used, specifically in the Denver Metro area is when talking about the city of Aurora (east of Denver) it's called Saudi Aurora....no offense to anyone that is from that region, but just a term coined by western Denver area residents.
Old 12-18-1999, 11:38 AM
Yeah, BFE = Butt Fucked Egypt. I also say BFU = Butt Fucked Utah... go figure!

------------------
Best!
Byz
Old 12-18-1999, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Bum Fuck Egypt is a term that is alive and well here in Florida.
Ditto.
Old 12-18-1999, 02:10 PM
I'd always heard "bumba (or bumble) fuck Egypt." This was in Georgia.

------------------
"Well, walk it off! And next time, stretch before you ovulate." -- Al Bundy
Old 12-18-1999, 03:35 PM
Charter Member
I haven't ever heard any of the Egyptian variations, but I know of East Bubblefuck, and, from older relatives, 40th and Plum (e.g, "I had to park at 40th and Plum, all the good spots were taken"), meaning forty miles plum in the middle of nowhere.

------------------
Designated Optional Signature at Bottom of Post
Old 12-18-1999, 04:12 PM
Not only BFE, nut also BFI (butt fuck India), for those parking spots way way waaaaay out there.
-from a proud resident of Saudi Aurora aka Teenage Wasteland.

------------------
John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt. That's my name too.
Wait, no it isn't.
Old 12-18-1999, 06:55 PM
In DC it was Bumfuck, Egypt. Another variation is Bumblefuck, Ethiopia.
Old 12-19-1999, 08:31 AM
Charter Member
Bumfuck, Egypt is well known in New York. As is East Jesus, Nevada.
Old 12-19-1999, 03:35 PM
St. Louis, Missouri native checking in. Add me to the head count as someone who has heard and/or used bumf*ck Egypt, bumf*ck Idaho, bumf*ck Utah, East bumf*ck and East Jesus.
Old 12-19-1999, 08:38 PM
Charter Member
BFE works out here too (OR/WA/ID), and I have heard a professor note that he was afraid of ending up teaching at "East Jesus State". Cracked me up. I've always visualized EJS being somewhere near Odessa or Tupelo or something.
Old 12-19-1999, 09:53 PM
techchick68: That is a term frequently used here on the Front Range of Colorado.

Usually it refers to small towns or those that live out east of here....sometimes also referred to BFK or Butt Fuck Kansas.

No offense to those that live in Kansas, but anything east of the city of Colorado Springs means, you might as well be in Kansas. I think it has to do with the fact that on a clear day, you apparently can see Kansas from the top of Pikes Peak.

Another term used, specifically in the Denver Metro area is when talking about the city of Aurora (east of Denver) it's called Saudi Aurora....no offense to anyone that is from that region, but just a term coined by western Denver area residents.

We called Grand Junction Bum-fuck Egypt, and we lived there!
Old 12-20-1999, 07:54 AM
Location: My home is the open road, the sky is my roof etc etc
Here we say "Horses-Ass, Nowhere", does that make us weird?
Old 12-20-1999, 09:14 AM
I've heard BFE and bu-fu from Minnesota to Florida. Also, East Mumblefuck (heard that in Indiana).
Old 12-20-1999, 12:06 PM
Well that explains it. I've seen a number of cars around here with BFE in one of those European-style oval stickers. The only word I caught was "Egypt." This is a cosmopolitan neighborhood, but I thought that there seemed to be an unusual number of Egyptians.

There are also BFD stickers, but that one I understood.
Old 12-20-1999, 06:55 PM
I grew up in San Antonio and heard both BBE (Butt Fucking Egypt) and BBFE (Beyond Butt Fucking Egypt).

------------------
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent" Isaac Asimov
Old 12-20-1999, 07:55 PM
I'm a Los Angeles native, and I can say that I've never heard that saying, or if I did, it has not been commonly used around me. (It hasn't stuck in my mind.)
Old 12-21-1999, 01:29 AM
I sometime used the term Buttfuck South Dakota simply to indicate that we are in the middle of nowhere.

Course, anyone whose ever been there can say the same thing. Place is pretty desolate

------------------
Tyler Durden: You are not your job. You are not the money in your bank account. You are not the car you drive. You are not how much money is in your wallet. You are not your fucking khakis. You are the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.
Old 12-21-1999, 05:24 AM
I had never heard it til I went to university; when I guy told me I lived in BFE (my college is rather far from the center of campus), I hadn't the faintest idea of what he was talking about. I've heard it a few times since then, but it's certainly not a common phrase. I live in the Bay Area, and go to school not far away. The guy who used it was, as I recall, also from the Bay. My guess is that it probably originated in the Midwest, and is in the process of being transferred to the rest of the country. Just as 'hella' will eventually take over the world! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

------------------
~Kyla

"You couldn't fool your mother on the foolingest day of your life if you had an electrified fooling machine."
Old 12-21-1999, 11:51 AM
Hey, even growing up in the sticks of Montana, the back parking lot at the high school was known as BFE -- Bum-Fuck Egypt. Never heard of "bu-fu", though.

------------------
Jodi

Fiat Justitia