Old 04-21-2003, 11:57 AM
Whatever happened to Wendel on the Simpsons?

I think I spelled his name right. You know, Wendel, the sickly scrawny pale as hell kid that throws up on every bus ride? They just came out with his toy, but I don't recall seeing him in any of the episodes for YEARS. Even in class shots, field day episodes, or auditorium shots. Are there any other "lost characters" in the Simpsons (an I'm not talking about those they got rid of when Phil Hartman died).
Old 04-21-2003, 01:46 PM
A wizard did it.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:08 PM
He clearly puked himself to death.

> Are there any other "lost characters" in the Simpsons (an I'm not talking about those they got rid of when Phil Hartman died).

Well, Bleeding Gums Murphy and Dr. Marvin Monroe are the obvious ones. ("They were never popular!")
Old 04-21-2003, 03:33 PM
BANNED
I know that a few characters like Lunchlady Doris were lost when Doris Grau passed away a few years ago. I don't know about Wendel though.
Old 04-21-2003, 04:05 PM
Lunchlady Doris was phased out after the actress who voiced her part died.
Old 04-21-2003, 04:48 PM
How 'bout that German (Swiss?) kid? Is he "officially" dead?
Old 04-21-2003, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Frink
German.

Uter.

Was killed by a mob from a historical reenactment village.
Old 04-21-2003, 05:53 PM
Despite that death and the jokes made since, he HAS appeared in subsequent background scenes! (I think I read this in the third guide to our favorite family).
Old 04-21-2003, 06:09 PM
What about Lewis? Bart's black friend? He was in a few episodes with a couple of lines, now you really only ever see him in the background.

Or how about Mr. Largo, the music teacher? He is in the opening sequence, and I recall him having several lines early on, but eventually he disappeared.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:50 PM
The Unibrow baby has not been on for several years, nor has the Very tall man (that I remember, anyway). Both had at least a couple cameos each.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:00 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Frink

Oh, relax, kids, I've got a gut feeling Uter is around here somewhere.

After all, isn't there a little Uter in all of us?

In fact, you might even say we just ate Uter and he's in our stomachs right now!

Wait...scratch that one.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:26 PM
Anyone notice that "Acne boy" the kid who worked everywhere but usually at Krusty Burger was eventually replaced by the not quite as funny "Gil"? He's the old guy with gray hair who gets fired from every job he works at.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:32 PM
Gil and "You're So Greasy" Boy were contemporaries. Just recently they've been doing a lot more Gil, for whatever reason.

Gil's gotta win sometime!
Old 04-21-2003, 08:38 PM
Oh man, Gil is one of my favorite characters of all time! In the kitchen design business, there are a thousand Gils, and I have been asked for a "quick loan till payday" by most of them

Case in point, I kid you not I watched the episode where Marge and Homer go streaking and end up escaping in the hot air balloon in the parking lot. As it takes off, Gil (working as a car salesman) has the following scene :

::balloon lifts away::
G "Oh man...I was living in that!"
::hot plate falls to ground and shatters::
G "Ohhh, I only had three payments left !"

The next morning, my coworker Les comes in wearing his customary candy striper shirt unbuttoned too far (button was missing) and shoes with holes in them and informs us that his hot plate caught on fire and he got thrown out of the motel for creating a hazard and could I loan him $250 till payday!

My other co worker and I who had both seen the episode, just started laughing uncontrollably.

As a post script to those who think me needlessly cruel, I finally got tired of his incompetency and demanded he be fired. He stiffed the optometrist in our strip mall for $500, then went on to a design firm in the Merchandise Mart where he convinced a client to write a $25K deposit check to him personally...He was gone faster than a Norwegian Blue!

I ran into him a few months back at a building products show and he said he had been in Belize for a few years and asked me if I could loan him $500! I walked away with my hand on my wallet. This guy has been playing the "just divorced and needs some cash/living in a motel with crapola" schtick for 15 years!?!?! A dealer of mine confirmed he had the same experience with him back in like 1988...my episode was in 1999!
Old 04-21-2003, 08:55 PM
Gil was one of the few characters developed later in the run that really stuck. His cell phone cracked me up.

As for Mr. Largo, there was a great joke about how characters can be pushed into the background (and he walks by the Simpson's window).
Old 04-21-2003, 08:56 PM
BANNED
'Acne Boy' is officially known as 'the squeaky-voiced teen'. Lisa actually referred to him as that in the Superbowl ep.

For those who don't know the character of Gil is based on Jack Lemmon's character, Shelley 'The Machine' Levene, in the film Glengarry Glen Ross. He's the quintesential desperate, but still genial, loser.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:26 PM
For my money, you just can't get enough Cletus.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:32 PM
I'd like to see more of Johnny Tightlips. Always good for a laugh, that Johnny. He showed up on a couple of eps but has since not been seen.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:27 PM
Charter Member
There was that one episode where Skinner is talking to Uters parents and the mother is saying "Ve just vant closure".
Old 04-22-2003, 01:34 AM
What happened to Eugene and Rusty?
Old 04-22-2003, 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Evil Captor
I'd like to see more of Johnny Tightlips. Always good for a laugh, that Johnny. He showed up on a couple of eps but has since not been seen.
He was shot in the episode where Krusty meets his daughter (Insane Clown Poppy).

Quote:

Legs: Johnny Tightlips, where'd they hit ya?
Johnny: I ain't sayin' nothin'.
Legs: But what'll I tell the doctor?
Johnny: Tell him to suck a lemon.
I don't know if he died, or if he shows up in later episodes, but there ya go.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:55 AM
What I wanna see is more of the Happiest Man In Town.

"No, folks, he means himself... but thanks for looking!"
Old 04-22-2003, 08:25 AM
Charter Member
Bleeding Gums was only in two episodes, and died in the second one. He was one of my favorite characters. He was voiced by Ron Taylor, who starred on Broadway and won a Tony for "It Ain't Nothin' But The Blues." Taylor was dying of cancer at the time. I miss both Ron Taylor and Bleeding Gums.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:55 AM
Jacques the French bowler. I guess he was really a one-shot deal, though he did appear as a background character a few times during the early years, iirc. Anyway:

Quote:
Marge: What do you charge for lessons?
Jacques: Twenty-five dollars.
Marge: Twenty five dollars!
Jacques: A forty-dollars value!
Marge: When do we start?'
Jacques: We have already begun.
And then, of course:

Quote:
Marge: What's Brunch?
Jacques: You'd love it, It's not quite breakfast, it's not quite lunch, but it comes with a slice of cantaloupe at the end. You don't get completely what you would at breakfast, but you get a good meal!
Marge: I don't think so.
Jacques: Marge, darling. There are ten pins in my heart, you've knocked over eight. Won't you please pick up that spare?
Old 04-22-2003, 10:04 AM
The real answer on some of these is that during the first two or three seasons background characters were just filled up using the existing model sheets so people like Wendel and Jacques would show up here and there. However, some of those models weren't really in the style of the Simpsons so those characters were dropped, though you do occasionally see them sneak in.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Annie-Xmas
Bleeding Gums was only in two episodes, and died in the second one. He was one of my favorite characters. He was voiced by Ron Taylor, who starred on Broadway and won a Tony for "It Ain't Nothin' But The Blues." Taylor was dying of cancer at the time. I miss both Ron Taylor and Bleeding Gums.
Quote:

Lisa, the blues isn't about making yourself feel better. It's about making other people feel worse
One of my favorite lines of all time and favorite characters. And Bleeding gums singing the Star Spangled Banner still kills me every time.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:55 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
Wendell is injured (possibly a broken arm) on the trampoline in season 5's episode Bart's Inner Child. That's later than I expected to see him show up.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:00 AM
Charter Member
Me, I'm waiting for an episode that highlights the Spanish Bee Guy.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:07 AM
Is Wendell that guy who looked like he was an albino?

If so, it's correct that he didn't look right for Simpsons, not including the fact that everyone was yellow and he was chalk white.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:28 AM
Yeay, Aslan2, that was Wendell. I admit he was kinda goofylookin and out of place, but that was his schtick! He was always ill with something. I remember his first appearance, it was the episode where the class went on a trip to the box factory, I believe, and Bart had to sick next to him. They make the comment that he always throws up on the bus. anyway, they get there safe and sound, and Bart congratulates him. "Way to go Wendel, you didn't throw up!" With that, Bart pats him on the back, his eyes get huge, then an overhead shot of the bus shows the kids all jumping out the window following a well placed "Huargh!"

But yeah, outside of that, I haven't seen much of him, and was rather supirsed to see his toy just released now.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:30 AM
It was his sickness.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:11 PM
Charter Member
I saw Wendell on a rerun last night. It was the episode, "Little Girl in the Big Ten", where Lisa takes gymnastics to pass gym class and hooks up with some college students, then winds up impersonating a college student herself. Wendell appears as one of a group of nerds being shaken down for their lunch money by the bullies, until they're rescued by "The Sphere" (Bart in his plastic bubble, because he was infected by the "pandavirus".)

The episode is from Season 13, making it far more recent than KneadToKnow's last sighting. Wendell lives!
Old 04-22-2003, 08:54 PM
As a hijack, did "The Simpsons" ever have an episode where Dr. Monroe was "officially" killed-off, or was it limited to a mention of the "Marvin Monroe Memorial Hospital"?
Old 04-22-2003, 09:11 PM
Didn't the Dr. only appear in that one episode, the one where the family went to therapy and kept shocking each other?

While not exactly a lost characther, I do like Captain Mcalister. He should have more episodes based around him.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:42 PM
Dr. Monroe also appeared in the episode where Marge takes on the makers of Itchy and Scratchy.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:46 PM
Quote:
Didn't the Dr. only appear in that one episode, the one where the family went to therapy and kept shocking each other?
Marge called him on his radio show when she was having problems with Homer in an early episode, I think.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:46 PM
Charter Member
Dr Munroe also appeared in the first season episode were the Simpsons got lost in the woods. He was one of the scientists called in to determine whether Homer was a human or a bigfoot.

I believe his character was killed off because his voice was very difficult to perform.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:30 AM
---In "Bart's Friend Falls In Love", the subplot was Homer ordering subliminal weightloss cassettes and getting vocabulary instead. They were read by Dr. Marvin Monroe. "Abbatoir! The cow was slaughtered in the abbatoir!" No, there was no episode where he was officially killed off.

---Bleeding Gums was in three episodes, including "Dancin' Homer", where he took 26 minutes to sing the national anthem.

---Jacques reappeared (but didn't speak) in "Team Homer", the one where Burns forces his way onto Homer's bowling team. He was a member of The Homewreckers: four people who had all posed threats to Homer and Marge's marriage. The other three were Lurleen Lumpkin, Mindy Simmons and Princess Kashmir.
Old 04-29-2003, 10:14 AM
Another reason for Wendell's general absence (along with most of Bart's other friends) is that during the first couple seasons Bart was the main character, but very soon the focus moved more generally to Homer.

--Cliffy
Old 04-29-2003, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Little Nemo
Me, I'm waiting for an episode that highlights the Spanish Bee Guy.
He had a nice run the the "32 Short Stories about Springfield" episode didn't he? I think it's time. Bumblebee Man and Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel in a "on-the-road" comedy episode!

Old 04-29-2003, 11:32 AM
What I want to know is when is Karl returning? He seems like the type.......

http://snpp.com/episodes/7F02.html
Old 04-29-2003, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by criminalcatalog
What I want to know is when is Karl returning? He seems like the type.......

http://snpp.com/episodes/7F02.html
I saw a show on PBS recently where Harvey Fierstein said the producers had approached him about bringing Karl back. He said he was looking forward to it, but when he got the script, according to him, it was rife with really bad gay stereotypes and lame, easy gay jokes. So he made some suggestions, and they agreed to make some changes, but when he got the script back, it was worst than the first draft, so he passed on it.

I'm betting it was the recent one where Homer moves in with some gay men.

Another MIA character: Charlie, one of Homer's co-workers. Last we saw him, he was being dragged away by the Feds after Homer taped him talking about his secret militia.
Old 05-10-2003, 09:16 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
Wendell was in the 8:30 show last Sunday night, the one where Lisa goes to the Spellympics. The title may be "I'm Spelling as Fast as I Can," in which case it would be season 14.

He appears briefly in a shot of the students in the auditorium near the beginning of the show.
Old 05-10-2003, 10:07 AM
Has Herman been seen since the episode where Marge became a cop?
Old 05-10-2003, 12:08 PM
The unibrow baby showed up in the recent episode where Homer ran a day care center, FWIW.
Old 05-10-2003, 04:18 PM
Am I the only one who can't stand Gil? If he's never on another episode, it'll be too soon.
Old 05-11-2003, 01:13 AM
what about that Jewish subsitute that Lisa had a thing for?
Old 05-11-2003, 03:17 AM
I Am the One Who Bans
Herman was kind of a George H. W. Bush joke, he might seem dated now.
Much as I love Dustin Hoffman, Mr. Bergstrom was intended as a one-episode character and I don't see why they need to revisit that.
A lot of these characters, while their roles have shrunk or disappeared, pop up in the background from time to time to give us something to watch in repeats. You can still see Lionel Hutz and others at times.
Old 05-11-2003, 08:48 PM
Bush 41? I don't follow.

And Wendell was in tonights episode.

Thanks to this thread, I now look for him.