Old 05-17-2003, 01:42 AM
"Post no bills"

What does "post no bills" mean, and what is it's origin?
Old 05-17-2003, 01:54 AM
In olden days, to "post" something was to nail it to a wooden post. The "bill" in question is a handbill, like a flier or poster (which latter name likely derives from its being something that was posted). So now, "post no bills" means "don't attach any posters or notices here."

Some of the messages that used to posted started being delivered, but it was still called posting, as in postal service and postman. In the UK, they say "post" for what we call "mail" in the U.S.
Old 05-17-2003, 04:18 AM
Ogministrator
Charter Member
The general use is to warn people not to stick posters, flyers, etc. on boundary walls or the sides of buildings etc. It is used to deter people from littering these walls.

Signs in the same vein include "Do Not Spit", "Do Not Litter", "Do Not Urinate", etc.

Generally a request to keep the place clean.
Old 05-17-2003, 06:33 AM
Charter Member
If you're tire of Pizza flyers ("bills" or "handbills") check your local ordinances. Here's a piece of mine, for example:
Quote:
Sec. 3-22. Prohibiting distribution where properly posted.

It shall be unlawful for any person to distribute, deposit, place, throw, scatter or cast any handbill upon any premises, if requested by anyone thereon not to do so, or if there is placed on the premises in a conspicuous position near the entrance thereof, a sign bearing the words: "No Handbills," "No Peddlers or Agents," "No Advertisement," or any similar notice indicating in any manner that the occupants of said premises do not desire to be molested or to have their right of privacy disturbed, or to have any such handbills left upon such premises.
(Code 1967, 3-1507)
I do have my door properly marked ("No solicitors; no handbills.") Unfortunately at times the pizza joint kids (hell, many adults!) don't know the word "solicitor" or the word "handbill" so I occassionally get the crap, but not as much as before. If I hadn't been in such a hurry last night, I would have gotten the names and company of the two damn security-system-selling punks who had the nerve to knock and bother me last night. Plus, why the hell would I want a security system when there's a big-ass Remax for-sale sign out front?
Old 05-17-2003, 11:07 AM
Charter Member
Many years ago I was in England, where the comparable notice was "Bill stickers will be prosecuted." Under one such sign someone had written "Bill Stickers is innocent!"
Old 05-18-2003, 05:47 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally posted by MLS
"Bill Stickers is innocent!"
"Free Hat!"
Old 05-18-2003, 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary T
In olden days, to "post" something was to nail it to a wooden post. The "bill" in question is a handbill, like a flier or poster (which latter name likely derives from its being something that was posted). So now, "post no bills" means "don't attach any posters or notices here."
Exactly right. Except that it always seemed like those "This page intentionally left blank" statements you see in official documents which do my head in because the page is patently not blank because it has that sentence on it; by posting the notice telling people not to post there, it just sends mixed signals. Why no, I don't actually have a life...why do you ask?
Quote:
Some of the messages that used to posted started being delivered, but it was still called posting, as in postal service and postman. In the UK, they say "post" for what we call "mail" in the U.S.
Ah yes -- in the US the "mail" is delivered by the US Postal Service, whereas in the UK the "post" is delivered by the Royal Mail. Go figure.
Old 05-18-2003, 06:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Balthisar
"Free Hat!"
There was a comedian in the '50s in England called "Nosmo King". (This was the way in which the advisory was written on the windows of London buses.)
Old 05-18-2003, 06:00 PM
Except that it always seemed like those "This page intentionally left blank" statements you see in official documents which do my head in because the page is patently not blank because it has that sentence on it; by posting the notice telling people not to post there, it just sends mixed signals.

For some real fun along this line of thinking, put up a sign that says "Ignore This Sign."
Old 05-19-2003, 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MLS
Many years ago I was in England, where the comparable notice was "Bill stickers will be prosecuted." Under one such sign someone had written "Bill Stickers is innocent!"
JRR Tolkien wrote a series of stories for his children where the villian was named "Bill Stickers" and the intrepid detective was called "Major Road" - as in "Major Road Ahead".

Just a snippit of trivia to start your day...

Grim
Old 05-19-2003, 05:42 AM
boston pills for thinking bill stickers
Old 05-19-2003, 06:53 AM
You see Post No Bills stenciled onto barriers around construction sites all the time in NYC. So it's not just an English custom.
Old 05-19-2003, 07:54 AM
Charter Member
Aha - I see I am too late to contribute witticisms about poor innocent Mr Bill Posters. Still, being in Britain, I always wish I could pin a "Post No Bills" sign to my door, in the hope of preventing the postman/mailman from delivering bills/invoices.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:27 AM
Charter Member
"Post no bills" = "No Snail-Mail Spam Wanted Here."
Old 05-19-2003, 08:39 AM
Charter Member
(Only tangentially related)

Do you transatlantic peeps have roadsgins (near construction sites) advising

"Caution - Heavy Plant Crossing!"?

It's a bit scary 'cos I tend to expect to see an army of triffids.