Old 06-18-2003, 07:27 AM
Where is the square root function on my PC calculator?

Does the scientific calculator on a windows PC have a square root function? I can't find it, although it is present in the standard view. What, don't scientists do square roots?
Old 06-18-2003, 07:30 AM
just do whatever to the 1/2 power.
Old 06-18-2003, 07:37 AM
Gotcha, no wurries.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:19 AM
Or check the "Inv" box and then press the "x^2" button. The inverse of the "squaring" function is, naturally, the square root function.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:20 AM
I'm on Windows 2000 Professional. Opening up the calculator, I see a button labeled "sqrt." It is above the % button and to the right of the slash (division).
Old 06-18-2003, 08:35 AM
dantheman: I believe you are looking at the "standard" view on the Windows calculator. The OP was specifically asking about the "scientific" view.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:35 AM
dantheman you are probably looking at the standard view. Go to scientific view and tell me if you still see a "sqrt" button.

Thanks orbifold.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:40 AM
Er, that's "thanks Orbifold" for posting the inverse "x^2" tip, not some of kind premonition of the simulpost
Old 06-18-2003, 09:17 AM
Uh-oh, looks like I'm going to lose a finger. Sorry about that.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:05 AM
Dantheman the Finger Collectors (FnCs) have been informed and will contact you to arrange a convenient time.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:10 AM
Charter Member
I know it's answered already, but if you right-click the x^2 button, and click "What's this?" -- you get a message box telling you, among other things, to use "Inv + x^2" to calculate a square root." They actually thought that was a good way to do it. Amazing.