Old 06-18-2003, 10:35 AM
Can I wear white socks with black sneakers?

I own these Chuckies in black. Being that I am fashionably inept, I really don't know if I can wear white socks with them. Or if I can, but in only certain circumstances. In jeans it doesn't really matter, but in shorts I have no clue...

-Tcat
Old 06-18-2003, 10:54 AM
Yes, but make sure they are short socks, the kind that come up just over your anklebone. It would probably be a good idea to choose a shirt with some white in it.....
Old 06-18-2003, 10:58 AM
Is the white in the shirt to go with the socks or the white stripe in the shoes or both?

Isn't there some rule about matching shoe color and shirt color? So in this case wearing a black shirt with white letters or trim or ??? would make me joe cool?

-Tcat
Old 06-18-2003, 11:08 AM
No, no, no. You're supposed to match your shoe and hosiery color to your pants or skirt. Women are also expected, in casual dress only, to match shirt color to sock color, but since guys' socks don't come in all colors they get out of this one.

I'd say go on and wear white socks. Blonde is right, though, make sure you wear ankle-length socks that won't stick out over the top of the shoe. The calf-length socks are right out, I'm afraid.
Old 06-18-2003, 11:10 AM
I actually envision those shoes with black shorts, white socks, black/white/red shirt.

And Joe cool black sunglasses.
Old 06-18-2003, 11:12 AM
Can you?

Yes.

Should you?

Well no.
Old 06-18-2003, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Contrary
Can you?

Yes.

Should you?

Well no.
But, what's the option? If he wears black socks, from a distance doesn't he look like he's wearing shorts and black BOOTIES?? In the summer??
Old 06-18-2003, 11:34 AM
Those footie things, the ones that don't even reach the ankle bone but do come over the heel, so they stay on his foot.
Old 06-18-2003, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Blonde
But, what's the option? If he wears black socks, from a distance doesn't he look like he's wearing shorts and black BOOTIES?? In the summer??

And....?
Old 06-18-2003, 12:26 PM
Shoot I do it all the time (white socks, black sneakers). I like the short white socks, the are not the little "cover only the foot" kind, crew socks I think is the name. They will scrunch down where there is only a couple inches showing above the shoe.

Main difference, I think, is I don't really care what type of image I project while wearing black sneakers, white socks, and shorts.

I mean, really.
Old 06-18-2003, 01:15 PM
Charter Member
Well, you might look like a mime artiste.

Or an Iian Dury fan

Quote:
white face, black shirt
white socks, black shoes
black hair, white strat
bled white, died black

sweet gene vincent
let the blue roll tonight

Old 06-18-2003, 01:33 PM
I'm the last person in the world whom I ever suspected would be dispensing fashion advice, but I learned a couple of things from some ex-girlfriends of mine.

Match your socks to your pants, regardless of what colour your shoes are. Thus, you can wear white socks with black shoes, but only if the pants are white.

-FK
Old 06-18-2003, 03:06 PM
Would you rather be happy and other people think disapprovingly of you, or be unhappy and other people think approvingly of you?
Old 06-18-2003, 03:18 PM
Can I wear white socks with black sneakers?

No, you cannot. And I don't want to hear any more about it.

Damn kids, $55 sneakers, why in my day we didn't have any sneakers at all and we did without and we were happy to do without cause we didn't need no stinking sneakers.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:30 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Fuji Kitakyusho
Match your socks to your pants, regardless of what colour your shoes are. Thus, you can wear white socks with black shoes, but only if the pants are white.

-FK
Being in the UK, I had to stop and translate "pants" not seeing *quite* how many people would view my underwear in the course of the average day. (Hmm - none at all - something wrong with life there)

But, even so, I have some trousers with a wild selection of colours on them - must the socks match entirely?

Yours,
Worried, of Planet Celyn
Old 06-18-2003, 03:47 PM
Charter Member
No.

Just, no.
Old 06-18-2003, 04:53 PM
Sweaty feet in sneakers deserve white cotton socks.
Period.
Doesn't matter what color the shoes are.
Old 06-18-2003, 06:47 PM
BANNED
You can if you're an artist....
Old 06-18-2003, 07:09 PM
In america you can wear whatever you want. Not sure what the law is in CZ though. ;-)
Old 06-18-2003, 07:51 PM
I'll chime in with yes, only short white socks. Athletic shoes get athletic socks. Normally the rule is as Fuji stated, match the socks to your pants. Celyn, in the case of multi-colored pants (I picture rainbow colored pants for some reason), I've been taught to match your socks to the predominant or background color. If the pants are red with little yellow triangles, then you would wear red socks.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:45 PM
I don't think I've ever worn any color socks but white while dressing casually. Is this just apparent to everyone else?
Old 06-19-2003, 12:21 AM
Well, Quonk, men's casual socks only come in a few colors, mostly white or gray. For less casual dress, one should match sock color to trouser color as much as possible. (No white socks with suits unless you're on Fantasy Island, in other words. And even then they should be white dress socks.)

Women tend to get all gung-ho about casual socks matching everything else because our casual socks come in a rainbow of colors, and if you don't match up, then you're just not trying.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:15 AM
Do whatever you like. If you want fashion advice though...

1. There is only one time when one should wear white socks: When wearing white tennis shoes, and playing tennis.

2. Never, under any circumstances, wear socks, when wearing shorts. Failing to abide this rule will make you look like a German Tourist, which are the only species on this planet, more despicable than the Ugly American Tourist™. There is only one exception: If you're wearing hiking boots.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:38 AM
I do it all the time. White socks are about the only color I own. I don't care if the fashion police approve or not. I have a sexy wife at home already...I don't need to preen to get the females to pay attention to me.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:24 PM
Socks should match shoes, which in turn, match the outfit.

I vote for short black socks.

White socks and black shoes is great if you want to look like Michael Jackson, circa 1988.
Old 06-19-2003, 02:42 PM
These people telling you not to are nuts. White socks are perfectly acceptable for casual wear with sneakers. They shouldn't be knee socks (that would make you look silly anyway, why would you even own them?), but white socks will be just fine.

In fact, I'll go so far as to say I don't know anyone who wears anything BUT white socks when wearing sneakers.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:06 PM
Word up, Evil One and Neurotik!

Personally I would laugh my ass off if I saw anyone wearing anything BUT (short) white socks with shorts and sneakers.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:58 AM
Yeah, you pretty much have to wear white socks with sneakers if we're talking casual, no matter what pants you're accompanying them with. But if we're talking non-casual and black pants, make sure you wear a dark colour, preferably black. But there's nothing wrong with wearing white socks with those, and I'd recommend it.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:10 PM
BANNED
I'd wear one black shoe with a white sock & one white shoe with a black sock. Black pants, black/white striped shirt & black checkered tie. the fashion police would be too confused to say anything.
Old 06-20-2003, 01:30 PM
Definitely yes. It'll look good even. Because of the white stripe in the shoes.

Just make sure that:
1) the socks are short,
2) the shirt/shorts are white.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by !ceQueen
Definitely yes. It'll look good even. Because of the white stripe in the shoes.

Just make sure that:
1) the socks are short,
2) the shirt/shorts are white.
*sigh*

Doesn't even matter if the shirt or shorts or white. White is the default casual sock color.

If you are going to be wearing an outfit that would be inappropriate with white socks (slacks or something) then you shouldn't be wearing the sneakers. But with shorts and sneakers, white socks are the default no matter what color the shorts or shirt is.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:14 PM
  • You can do whatever you're little heart desires. and we won't laugh too loud.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:21 PM
I can't even believe that anyone would question the propriety of white socks with sneakers. It's the standard. Dark socks with shorts doesn't look right, unless they're the really short ones, in which case they are obviously athletic socks, no matter the color. For proof, just look at how many pairs of white socks you see at stores. Obviously, there is more demand for white socks than just people with light colored shoes. As a matter of fact, for athletic socks, white is far and away the most popular color.

Also, with casual wear, the point is not to worry about the matching the shorts to the shoes and socks. Everything should go with anything else. White socks go with any sneakers and any casual shorts. Period.
Old 06-21-2003, 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Gaspode
[B
2. Never, under any circumstances, wear socks, when wearing shorts. Failing to abide this rule will make you look like a German Tourist, which are the only species on this planet, more despicable than the Ugly American Tourist™. There is only one exception: If you're wearing hiking boots. [/B]
Which falls under the law "Don't EVER ware hiking boots unless you are A) hiking/hunting/fishing/working ect B) gay {this is not meant to be insulting, or C) European, or any mixture of the three. Also under no circumstance can you ever wear shorts with hiking boots unless you are a boyscout or a gay european fisherman."
Old 06-21-2003, 08:10 AM
Charter Member
[Guy with Richard Simmons voice fluttering in] Come on people, high top tennies and shorts? How gauche. Going to play a little B-ball with the boys is fine but around the country club, never. A tan or white deck shoe without socks would look nice or a white low cup tennis sneaker with with white anklets. If you have good looking legs a pair of running shoes is appropriate. If you have ugly legs puuuulllleaase cover them up. And guy with hairy legs, eeewwweee. And shorts that show a little rump, oooh, it get all excited. [guy with Richard Simmons voice flutters away]
Old 06-21-2003, 10:00 AM
so how come the blues brothers look good with there white socks and black shoes and suits but when i do it i look like a geek (if my wife was here she would say that i look like a geek anyway). DAMN THOSE BLUES BROTHERS!
Old 06-21-2003, 11:58 AM
I seriously thought no one had worn white socks since circa 1992. Didn't it die out with hard hair and high heels (women), highlights and 501's (men)?
Old 06-21-2003, 06:07 PM
No, no, no. White socks are default with athletic shoes, no matter the color of the shoes. There is white in the shoes, so don't even bother making sure your shirt matches. Black socks are to be worn with dress shoes, so you should never wear them with athletic shoes. Oh yes, and any socks taller than your ankles are currently a fashion faux pas.

:flaunts her DKNY-jean-wearing-Prada-purse-carrying self out the door:
Old 06-21-2003, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Contrary
Those footie things, the ones that don't even reach the ankle bone but do come over the heel, so they stay on his foot.
I agree, and I also think that's prolly the best from an economical standpoint as well. (If your audience can't see them, you can wear them with anything.)
Old 06-22-2003, 12:37 PM
BANNED
"I seriously thought no one had worn white socks since circa 1992"

If ya only have white socks, you don't have to spend time matching socks.
Old 06-22-2003, 01:26 PM
Which is why I only have black socks, all the same brand and bought at the same place. The logistics of socks is important. Then again, so is the color. White is a no-no.