Old 07-03-2003, 01:43 AM
What ever happened to the black child prodigy filmmaker Matty Rich?

He made the feature film STRAIGHT OUT OF BROOKLYN at age 19. Later went on to make THE INKWELL.

After that, nothing. What happened to him?
Old 07-03-2003, 03:57 AM
Charter Member
I don't think his "Gummo" was all that well-received.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Snooooopy
I don't think his "Gummo" was all that well-received.
Gummo was written and directed by Harmony Korine (also the writer of Kids). Or is this a different Gummo? (IMDb lists only the Korine one.)

Or have I been whooshed?
Old 07-03-2003, 07:56 AM
According to Spike Lee he didn't have any talent and it all dried up for him after ...Brooklyn:

Quote:
Matty Rich, forget about it. Matty Poor. ... You know Matty Rich came out talking all that shit. He made ...what was the first one? ... That film was him. That was his story, but you can only do that one time. What was the other one? ... Whew. Itís unfortunate because when he came out he got bad advice. He was like "Iíve never read a film book, I donít go to movies, I donít know how to use a camera, Iím from the streets!" And eventually that was reflected in his filmmaking. He knew nothing about film.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:13 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally posted by refusal
Gummo was written and directed by Harmony Korine (also the writer of Kids). Or is this a different Gummo? (IMDb lists only the Korine one.)

Or have I been whooshed?
No, you haven't been whooshed. I was just mistaken. Dang!
Old 07-03-2003, 12:39 PM
Spike's right. One good, largely autobiographical film does not a prodigy make.
Old 07-03-2003, 04:07 PM
Charter Member
"Hey, I'm Matty Rich! You want fries with that?"

Nah... kidding.

Ah, Spike. Tactful and thoughtful as ever.

I suspect Spike was also pissed because he executive produced ' The Inkwell" and counseled Matty Rich about his filmmaking talent and to go to film school and learn some basics-- and it all went in one ear and out the other. For my money, though -- The Inkwell wasn't unwatchable, just slow in spots and not Rich's forte -- middle class black aspirations and class struggles on a beach spot. To a working class kid from Brooklyn? Shee-yeah, right.