Old 08-15-2003, 10:14 AM
Acclimate vs. acclimatize

In his book on Mount Everest, Jon Krakauer repeatedly uses the word "acclimatize."

Is there any meaningful difference between this and "acclimate"?
Old 08-15-2003, 10:58 AM
they are synonymous, according to merriam webster..
http://m-w.com
Over this side of the atlantic, we would usually use acclimatise, with an 's' of course. I wasn't familiar with the word acclimate until now.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:44 PM
Some folks prefer to use "acclimate" for what happens under laboratory conditions, while "acclimatize" is used for natural conditions. I have no idea how widespread this distinction might be, though.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 AM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: lie bumps tweezers huge booger removed easy xylophone songs large ejaculation haze grey new york cheddar nsrgf stock prejudice poem iron man plane ingalls furniture battery headlights castrated penis hem tape walmart sublime jailhouse white privilege bullshit make ice blocks handicap motorcycles bouncing baby boy hung munchkin salvador dali eyeball electric prostate stimulation pronounce giovanni surface plate headstones engraving cost weaponized emp fuck aa sweating nude visine ingestion hindustan ambassador usa suge knight pronounced car on bricks 28 teeth rainbow rose seeds fake bird nest in hanging basket does worchester sauce need to be refrigerated find a leak in air mattress best pat metheny albums is clinique makeup good how to make food pass through faster oh my god phrase back of truck called things to know before joining the marines what is a g2 how much to replace airbags unjust laws in america years between empire and jedi can i take shaving cream on an airplane youtube add to queue at what point are celsius and fahrenheit the same sending checks through the mail can bacteria become resistant to alcohol checks lost in the mail ma proof of residency what is someone from utah called is hydrogen stable or unstable what are imitation bacon bits made of how to fix a leaky oil drain plug can't sing and play guitar descartes before the horse joke what is a shudder don't worry sir i'm from the internet keeping a raven as a pet melting cough drops in tea best cleaner to remove nicotine from walls i dried my lularoe pros and cons of aarp membership snap on vacuum pump how to remove window screen with plunger pins