Old 08-18-2003, 03:07 PM
"Chest freeze"?

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, as I am looking for not only accounts of other people's experiences, but also hard scientific fact...

I am familiar with the concept of "brain freeze" (if you drink something cold too quickly, you get a temporary powerful headache). However, I have never experienced this. I always get a strong, almost pressure-like pain in my chest, around the breastbone, if I drink cold things too fast. My mother also gets these "chest freezes". No one, besides my mother, even knows what I am talking about when I describe this phenomenon. They look at me like I am mad! There must be others who get this? Anyone?

Also, I am curious if anyone has any sort of biological explanation as to why the cold would affect my chest, rather than my brain. As I said before, I have _never_ had a brain freeze.
Old 08-18-2003, 09:36 PM
i remember when taking a livesaving course, to be a lifeguard, that it was mentioned that going from hot outside air to rather cold water, could cause a person to stop breathing. it could be called a chest freeze. some people will have a gasping reaction to being hit in the chest with very cold water either from a shower or from a water hose. a rather quick moment where you can't move your ribs/chest to breathe in or out.

is it kinda like that?
Old 08-18-2003, 09:52 PM
My husband and I were talking about this just yesterday! I get "chest freeze" too--we'd gotten frozen Cokes (yum!) and I commented to him that my throat/chest gets so cold I can't take a deep breath without having to cough.
Old 08-18-2003, 09:52 PM
It's maybe a little like that, as it seems I can only take shallow breaths when I have "chest freeze", but it lasts more than a quick moment. It gradually fades away. It's the strangest thing. I am starting to be convinced that I am some kind of biological freak
Old 08-18-2003, 09:54 PM
Sorry, Geobabe! I didn't see your reply when I posted mine. Yay, there's more than just my family! Do you ever suffer from "brain freeze"?
Old 08-18-2003, 10:03 PM
I know exactly what you're talking about! I get it too! It's hard to describe, like a cold pressure/pain right in the middle of your chest. I've wondered about this too... I only occasionally get 'brain freeze' but I get 'chest freeze' all the time.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:23 PM
We simulposted. I very rarely get "brain freeze."
Old 08-18-2003, 11:05 PM
My cat gets brain freeze from licking ice cream off my spoon. You can tell by the way she blinks that it's hurting, but she'll still fight me for the bowl!
Old 08-18-2003, 11:27 PM
Another thing that occurs to me is that I used to get bronchitis and tonsillitis quite often as a child. I wonder if this has anything to do with it...
Old 08-19-2003, 12:20 AM
Yes, I get chest freeze too.

Chest freezers unite!
Old 08-19-2003, 12:22 AM
I tend to get chest freezes too--often much more frequently than brain freezes.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:52 AM
Me too.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:31 AM
I think I might. It feels like my lungs are shivering. A very odd experience. I'd also get it if it were cold outside. Like the 11 F I experienced in Tucsan.