Old 08-23-2003, 11:57 PM
Charter Member
Spanish speakers: "Necesito" vs. "Me falta"

I was playing around with one of those translations Web sites when I discovered that "me falta" means "I need." Of course, so does "necesito." What is the subtle difference in shading between these two? Is one, say, more serious than the other?
Old 08-24-2003, 02:03 AM
Me falta = I am missing. . .
Necesito = I need. . .
Pretty much the same subtle difference as in English. Like "I need $500 to pay the rent" Vs "I am missing a card to complete the deck".
Old 08-24-2003, 09:42 AM
Yep, sailor nailed it. But I believe one can also say "me hace falta..."
Old 08-24-2003, 10:27 AM
Charter Member
I think "me hace falta" is more like missing something, in the sense of "I miss you." Me haces falta or Te extraño are both mostly "I miss you."
Old 08-24-2003, 11:00 AM
Me hace
Old 08-24-2003, 11:01 AM
Me haces falta- I miss you

Me hace falta- I am missing
Old 08-24-2003, 03:06 PM
BANNED
"Para bailar La Bamba, te falta una poca de gracia" (To dance the Bamba, you lack a bit of grace)? I don't think so. The actual lyrics are "Para bailar La Bamba, se necesita una poca de gracia". Similarly, the actual lyrics of "La Cucaracha" are "No puede caminar porque le falta... una pata" (He can't move because he lacks a foot). "No puede caminar porque necesita una pata" (He can't walk because he needs a foot) would be a weird way of putting it.

"Necesito" means "I need", "me falta" means "I lack". They have basically the same shades of meaning as in English. They overlap a bit, but "necesito" can be used to refer to something which one has: "No, no puedo prestar mi coche. Lo necesito." (No, I can't loan my car. I need it.) "Me falta" always refers to something that one lacks, but does not always refer to something that one needs: "No, no soy un pajaro. Me falta alas". (No, I'm not a bird. I lack wings).
Old 08-24-2003, 04:15 PM
Charter Member
So, it isn't "Me falta a blowjob," huh?

Old 08-24-2003, 04:37 PM
Unless you're counting them... and came up one short...
Old 08-25-2003, 12:15 AM
BANNED
Now, think. Where did you last see it?
Old 08-25-2003, 03:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Snooooopy
So, it isn't "Me falta a blowjob," huh?

No, that would be "me hace falta una ******"

There. I can't say that word.
Old 08-25-2003, 03:37 AM
Something is missing on the Cucaracha of The Ryan

The original thing the cucaracha was lacking was not a foot but:

"La Cucaracha, la cucaracha
Ya no puede caminar
Porque no tiene, por que le falta
Mariguana que fumar"

Yep, mariguana as in marihuana! The roach could not walk because it was missing the bong!

For years, I thought it was the “foot” but I read about the history of the song, and the most shocking thing I remember was watching a clip of little Shirley Temple (circa 1930) singing the song with the marihuana line on it!