Old 09-20-2003, 07:28 PM
Is Amontillado pronounced...

...ah-mon-tee-YA-doh?!

Anxiously yours.
Old 09-20-2003, 07:31 PM
That is how my English professor that is really into literary theory always pronounced it. For the first couple times I heard him say it I had to try to figure out what he was talking about before I realized it was the Poe story.
Old 09-20-2003, 07:42 PM
That's the way Boris Karloff pronounced it, too.

(I had a record of him reading "The Cask of Amantillado" when I was a kid.)
Old 09-20-2003, 08:02 PM
In Spain, that's how the local llokels would pronounce it.
Old 09-21-2003, 12:36 AM
Charter Member
I've always pronounced it a-mon-tee-ya-do. I sneered when I heard Lou Reed's recent Poe-based CD, where it's pronounced a-mon-till-a-do. (Well, that's one of many reasons I sneered.) But when I consulted a dictionary, the latter was the only pronunciation listed.
Old 09-21-2003, 12:53 AM
Somehow I always got the Ls and Ds confused in my head, so all this time I've been rhyming it with Armadillo.... ::embarrassed::
Old 09-21-2003, 12:57 AM
Charter Member
In the PBS production of Edgar Allan Poe: Terror of the Soul, they dramatize the story and it's pronounced ah-mon-tee-yah-do as well.

Hey, did you know you can buy it? I had some once. It's pretty good.
Old 09-21-2003, 02:21 AM
for the love of god, Montresor

...it is Spanish sherry. {A-mohn-tee-ah-dthoe}

BTW: Lou Reed is a total badass, but "linguist" is probably not on his resume. So I bit and bought the CD tonight, strictly from an anthropological trainwreck standpoint. At first blush I think the idea's a little like an audio version of The Odyssey, as read by Woody Allen.

Also BTW: amontillado is good for what ales you.

[This is your captain speaking...] Anybody else love The Black Cat? [/averted hijack]
Old 09-21-2003, 02:58 AM
A-mon-tee-ah-do'h!
Old 09-22-2003, 01:45 PM
Englishized/Italian version: a-mon-tih-la-do

Spanish version: a-mon-tee-ya-tho