Old 10-02-2003, 12:41 AM
Charter Member
Ibuprofen as a sleep aid? WTF!

I've been married to this beautiful, but crazy [ethnicity deleted] woman for over 23 years. So inferring that she's out of her mind will only be met with agreement.

When my wife can't get to sleep she takes an Ibuprofen tablet. She insists that it makes her drowsy. She insists that regular Nuprin tablets
[REGULAR Nuprin, WITHOUT a sleep aid] makes her very, very drowsy.
Sure as shit, when she takes 1 regular, over the counter Ibuprofen tablet, she zonks right off. This isn't included in the "side effects" list. why does this happen to her? Is this an unlisted side effect, or (as I suspect) her belief that it does this having a placebo effect?
Old 10-02-2003, 12:49 AM
Charter Member
I'd guess a placebo effect, since plain ibuprofen is strictly an anagesic. I've taken plenty of Advil with not drowsiness whatsoever. It's all in her head.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:50 AM
Well, which side effects list are you looking at?

http://greatpills.com/order-ibuprofen
Quote:
Possible side effects
SIDE EFFECTS, that may go away during treatment, include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, gas, constipation, indigestion, dizziness, lightheadedness, drowsiness, or headache. If they continue or are bothersome, check with your doctor.
http://chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/ibupr...e_effectsc.htm
Quote:
Rare Side Effects
skin irritations, drowsiness, gastrointestinal bleeding
http://e-mds.com/healthinfo_view/drug/i_0000000QJD/
Quote:
Common Side Effects:
May occur during the first few days after beginning therapy, but usually resolve:

Upset stomach symptoms, abdominal pain, nausea, indigestion, bloating, constipation, dizziness, drowsiness, or photosensitivity
[shakes finger reprovingly at PK]
See? You should listen to the Missus...
Old 10-02-2003, 02:03 AM
My boyfriend gets drowsy on non-narcotic painkillers, including ibuprofen. But he's just all kinds of messed up. I think if he has onions, tylenol, and MSG together he explodes or something
Old 10-02-2003, 02:29 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Duck Duck Goose
[shakes finger reprovingly at PK]
See? You should listen to the Missus...

Yeah, but this stuff knocks her out like it's a barb..
I've taken it for headaches and shit for the last decade and never got sleepy off it. 30 minutes after taking it with a cup of leaded coffee and she's out like a light. I mean OUT!
I can't wake her up for anything. She only takes 1 for crying out loud. And we're not talking about the "P.M." version. I mean the regular stuff. One 200mg tablet. it can't be hitting her that hard, can it? You know, once she gets something into her thick blonde head she believes it forever, so I'm thinking she thinks it's suppose to make her sleepy, which is why it does. Placebo effect.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:03 AM
BANNED
Some people are VERY sensitive. Mainly they can have an underlying pain issue and when they take it the pain goes away and they relax.

It is similar to a reverse Valium effect. For example I used to be a VERY, VERY, VERY nervous flyer. If I took one 2.5mg of Valium during a flight it knocks me out. But if I am not nervous at all 2.5mg of Valium has minimal effect on me. Now that I am no longer a nervous flyer 2.5mg has minimal effect.

The more nervous you are the more it relaxes you. This isn't an uncommon thing. I know of two other people (both women) that relax like they've taken a tranquilizer when they take ibuprofen.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:59 AM
BANNED
I get a little sleepy if I take a lot of Ibuprofen, like 3 or more extra-strength pills. Considering how drugs effect people differently, it's not unusual at all that someone might find just one to be a sleep aid.
Old 10-02-2003, 05:16 AM
some people are more sensitive than others. Small children for instance can get knocked out by paracetamol, useful on long flights (along with fennigan)