Old 10-21-2003, 09:58 PM
Charter Member
Navajo word ''Anasazi.'' So what does it really mean?

OK, on a recent trip to New Mexico, I was able to visit Bandelier National Monument. One of the blurbs referred to this word (often used to refer to the pre-Navajo pueblo-dwelling Indians) as actually meaning "ancient enemies," not "ancient ones," as it is often translated.

So, what's the deal? Is this one of those words that just has multiple meanings? It seems highly unlikely that people that had left the area several hundred years previously would be considered "enemies." Might it be just an ambiguous translation, such as, oh, maybe in Navajo, the same word doubles as "stranger" (or "those guys" to refer to an old Cecil column) and "enemy?"

Anyone???
Old 10-21-2003, 10:47 PM
BANNED
It is a word that might mean "ancient enemies" or merely "ancient non-Navajo" (then again "not-us" is very often a synonym for "enemy").

http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/swpottery/anasazi.htm

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:24 AM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: stop on red beetlejuice worm creative screenames 130 proof electric motor smell nearly flightful birds neato synonym sleazy lawyer rmbs message board ugly oblivion characters ernest mayhand starfleet enlisted ranks title of biography rolls of nickels british weak chin won pronunciation tippler cylinder are diamonds brittle dermatology freezing egg sucker spongebob humor vixen dictionary ship stone eye contact plunger warren clarke imdb guard cat breed female darth vader esse spanish slang minesweeper strategy wii fencing who wrote dream on what's the capital of turkey dogs that look like german shepherds but aren't my day in the barrel at this stage in my life critter in wall of house military men are just dumb stupid animals can you boil alcohol eldridge "kit" carson la fin du monde pronunciation football pool payout calculator how to say seal in french family guy never buy unfrosted ever scented garbage bags toxic anice hotel orlando shut down april 13 1976 two dollar bill the curse josh ritter life expectancy without spleen potassium gluconate 595 mg for leg cramps crispin glover david letterman tuna in oil or water old champagne safe to drink can i put my straight talk sim card in another phone christmas songs up on the housetop i suck at sports how much gas is wasted idling with ac faberge spider for sale pink floyd first in space what is a pimp chalice why does drinking cause hiccups black & decker electronic pest repeller