Old 12-01-2003, 09:11 PM
How to get a stuck cork out of a wine bottle...

Help! I have the corkscrew in, but no matter how much I twist and pull and lean the damn thing won't budge, not at all. Are there any tricks to getting a cork out of a bottle?
Old 12-01-2003, 09:15 PM
BANNED
I got here first so push it in.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:20 PM
Well, there's a device called an Ah-So (yeesh, who was on their naming committee?) that works pretty well. Or you could push the cork into the bottle and fish it out with a cork retriever. If you need to get it out right now, though I can't help you. Sorry.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:21 PM
If the cork is that tight it sounds like wine leaked down the side of the cork and then dried. If that is the situation the cork will probably break or crumble when the cork comes out. It will come out if you use enough pressure. Try the wine then. If it tastes good, then great. You may have to scoop out some piece of cork though. If it tastes like vinegar or skunky, the wine has been damamged by a poor cork
Old 12-02-2003, 01:49 AM
Hrm. That happened to my dad once. He used the end of a wooden spoon to push it in, and since he'd already mangled it with a corkscrew, he had to pour it through a strainer. That wine was okay, but as everyone's saying, you might want to check it first.

I can't recall how he got the cork out afterwards. (He makes his own wine and wanted to refill it). I think he managed to break it into small pieces somehow.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:55 AM
Pour hot water around the neck of the bottle, causing the glass to expand a little, making it esier to pull out the cork.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:20 AM
thanks for all the replies. I managed to get it out (I unscrewed the corkscrew, then reinserted in a slightly different spot).
Old 12-02-2003, 07:38 AM
was this corkscrew the "T"-type? We have one of the "wing" kind that you rest on the opening, screw 'er in, then push the arms down. Never had a problem. Then again, we drink approximately one bottle a year, so maybe I don't know of any cork problems.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Gaspode
Pour hot water around the neck of the bottle, causing the glass to expand a little, making it esier to pull out the cork.
This may work, but probably not for the reason given. Heat may loosen the cork's grip. But the cork has more than enough resiliency to cope with the amount by which the glass bottle neck expands.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:23 PM
Yeah, wouldn't the expansion of the glass make the hole smaller, and hence the cork would be tighter?
Old 12-02-2003, 01:59 PM
No, expansion of the glass will make the hole bigger. But I agree with Xema that it probably isn't by enough to matter (and you'll warm your wine up, too).
Old 12-02-2003, 02:12 PM
Dangle a cloth napkin down into the bottle, and jiggle the cork around until it lies in the folds of the napkin, pointing upwards. Pull slowly, and you should be able to (with a bit of force) pull out the trapped cork as well, if you get it stuck in the folds properly. I've seen this done as a parlor trick; it does work.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:15 PM
Dammit. I saw Nanoda's post after accidentally paging down, and assumed it was the same situation, that the cork was trapped inside the bottle itself, rather than the neck. My apologies.