Old 12-06-2003, 10:28 AM
Is Anal Intercourse a Popular Means of Birth Control Anywhere?

Again, from a book I'm reading, the mother and father of this kid discuss their younger days after they'd just met, and instead of having vaginal intercourse, they engaged in anal intercourse as a substitute. How common is that? I imagine it's pretty effective as a means of birth control, except that if the semen drips or spills into the vagina at some point post-coitus, the risk is there that she will become pregnant.

I forget where now, but I'd read somewhere that a form of birth control popular in Catholic countries was anal intercourse. In Muslim countries in which women are out of reach, the men engage in anal intercourse with each other as a means of expending their sexual energy.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:32 AM
Charter Member
I'm told that it's regularly practiced in Africa.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:38 AM
It's pretty popular in the anus.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:40 AM
Charter Member
That would be up the ass, Bob.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:43 AM
I'm an 8th grade teacher in an inner-city school, and that's a very, very common practice among my students. We try to emphasize that anal sex increases the risk of HIV transmission, but if they're concerned about any consequences at all it's only pregnancy.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:44 AM
My first reaction to the question was, "For half the population."

My response to UWhite's post above was, "Eighth graders?! Very, very common?!"

Geez. I went to an inner-city school, and the backdoor wasn't even being considered as an alternative by anyone back then, as far as I can recall.
Old 12-06-2003, 12:43 PM
I am uncomfortable with the fact that you as an 8th grade teacher know this. Beyond the fact that every child in your class is under the statutory rape age. Why don't you do your job and report those CHILDREN who are committing a felony? Maybe the inner city wouldn't be so "inner city" if adults just did the right thing.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:00 PM
Actually, no.
One of my coworkers is proof that anal sex produces offspring.

It's really such a pleasure working with him.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:11 PM
Becuse if you arrest every 8th grade boy you is sexually active these days, they schools will suddenly become girls schools.

And vice versa..... or did you intend to arrest the girls as well, seeing as how they are guilty of the EXACT SAME "CRIME"??
Old 12-06-2003, 01:39 PM
Yeah, arresting them makes no sense at all. It shouldn't even be illegal, imo.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Forbin
Actually, no.
One of my coworkers is proof that anal sex produces offspring.

It's really such a pleasure working with him.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:53 PM
When I said CHILDREN I did not distinguish between sexes. If they had enforced this practice since it became law, maybe things wouldn't have been as bad as they are now. But since they are this bad and it clearly is wrong for children 14 and under to make these kinds of decisions, then I say the teachers and adults left with the responsibility of bringing up our children in our absence should take their responsibilities seriously and protect them as we, as parents, expect them to do. Since we legally are forced to leave them in their care in the first place.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by madline
I am uncomfortable with the fact that you as an 8th grade teacher know this. Beyond the fact that every child in your class is under the statutory rape age. Why don't you do your job and report those CHILDREN who are committing a felony? Maybe the inner city wouldn't be so "inner city" if adults just did the right thing.
Certainly. I'll get right on that, once I'm done filling in the stack of paperwork that No Child Left Behind requires me to complete, and once the 3 school police officers have finished arresting the students who've committed actual crimes today.

Oh wait, you want me to teach too?

We don't have the resources to control what they do off of school grounds. Heck, we have a hard time keeping them from getting it on in school. The best we can do is educate them about consequences. These are 14-15 year olds living in an extremely sexualized culture. We're doing the best we can, and unless you're coming in to help, I don't wanna hear about it.
</rant>
Old 12-06-2003, 02:16 PM
Statutory rape IS an actual crime. Just because a path is well traveled, doesn't make it the right one. It is not your fault there are only three police officers there. Once they begin getting all the referrals, they will beef up the police. If any teacher ever said these things to me in my daughter's eighth grade class I would have her/him brought before the school committee. Just because you don't FEEL responsible doesn't mean you aren't. If your job is too overwhelming maybe you are in the wrong line of work, or at the least, maybe you should be teaching another higher grade.
Old 12-06-2003, 03:13 PM
I think it would be somewhat misguided, madline, to arrest young men on felony charges in order to prevent them from engaging in anal sex.
Old 12-06-2003, 03:15 PM
Um...doesn't statutory rape require that one of the participants be of legal majority? I seem to recall that there needs to be some kind of significant age difference, coercion, or something like that.

I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.
Old 12-06-2003, 03:16 PM
Re: Is Anal Intercourse a Popular Means of Birth Control Anywhere?

Neverland ranch.
Old 12-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Madline, if you're convinced of this, you're free to pursue a job teaching, or otherwise working with teens, in urban areas.
Old 12-06-2003, 03:33 PM
madline needs to stick to the OP.

Anal sex is used as a form of birth control here in the US, at least by some people. I know two people, a friend and an acquaintance, who claim they practiced anal sex during their high school years to avoid pregnancy in the '70s and early '80s. When I heard about it, it surprised me a little because--although I'm no babe in the woods--it would have never occurred to me to do that in high school. My sense is that the sexually immature kids I grew up with tended to view anal sex as aberrant or extremely kinky--certainly not a realistic goal when just getting to second base could seem like pie in the sky.
Old 12-06-2003, 03:59 PM
There were also rumors of certain girls in high school who preferred anal sex in order to preserve their "virginity". 'Cause, ya know, it's not actually sex unless it's vaginal. Right?
Old 12-06-2003, 04:18 PM
Re: Is Anal Intercourse a Popular Means of Birth Control Anywhere?

Quote:
Originally posted by nisosbar
I forget where now, but I'd read somewhere that a form of birth control popular in Catholic countries was anal intercourse.
According to Catholic church doctrine, any sexual activity that "does not have the potential to create life" is a mortal sin. That would include anal sex, as well as oral sex, sex with condoms, sex after menopause, gay/lesbian sex, etc.

Of course, official Catholic doctrine and what is "popular in Catholic countries" are often quite far apart.
Old 12-06-2003, 04:30 PM
Hmmm. If anal sex among heteros is widespread in Africa, it would understand why heteros there are being so much more devastated by the AIDs virus than heteros in the U.S.
Old 12-06-2003, 04:42 PM
erm, in my previous post, please substitute "might explain" for "would understand". Then recite with me Psalm 449 of the SDMB Bible, "Preview is my friend."
Old 12-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Evil Captor
Hmmm. If anal sex among heteros is widespread in Africa,
And if wishes were horses, even beggers would ride.

There have been several threads on SD recently about this, all going on about this at length, but without any kind of cite or any other proof of the original contention that "Africans have anal sex more often than Europeans or Americans". Now here's another one! And still no cite!

Seems to me we're skirting the edge of racism here, in just accepting this unproven assertion about how blacks have sex, and then going on to speculate extensively about what this means.

From everything I've seen, anal sex "is widespread" on every continent*, among humans of all races & sexual orientations.

* Antartica possibly excepted -- but only possibly!
Old 12-06-2003, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by [email protected]
There have been several threads on SD recently about this, all going on about this at length, but without any kind of cite or any other proof of the original contention that "Africans have anal sex more often than Europeans or Americans". Now here's another one! And still no cite!
Well, two things: 1. sex surveys are notoriously difficult to confirm, since people lie about their sex lives; and 2. someone who worked in Sub-Shaharan Africa medically did respond on another thread that the incidence and frequency of anal STD's is not especially high in Africa, so it would be reasonable to conclude just from that that anal sex is no more popular in Africa than elsewhere, but it would make for an interesting study, huh?
Old 12-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Answer to the OP:
Well, I HOPE not, because it doesn't work!

madline, it's only illegal, as far as I know, if one of the participants is over the age of consent.

I could be wrong, though.

But yeah, it's disturbing when kids as young as thirteen are out there getting it on.

Gee, I was only just putting away my Barbies.
Old 12-06-2003, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by [email protected]
And if wishes were horses, even beggers would ride.
I don't have any wishes here, so BFD.

I don't have any info on the prevalence of anal sex among Africans. As I understand it, the devesation caused by AIDs among heteros in Africa is generally ascribed to widespread sexual promiscuity in some African cultures. I was thinking there was some hidden bisexuality implied there, but you know, I have never encountered any stats about that either.

Seems to me we're skirting the edge of racism here, in just accepting this unproven assertion about how blacks have sex, and then going on to speculate extensively about what this means.

Seems to me you're trying to raise a boogey-man to frighten folks out of honest discussion of this topic. What explanation do YOU have for the much more rapid and extensive spread of the AIDS virus among heterosexual Africans than among heteros in other parts of the world? Or is stating that the AIDS virus has devastated African heteros to a much greater extent than among heteros in the U.S.-- including black heteros in the U.S., if you exclude IV drug users and gays and their lovers -- also verging on racism?

Is thinking about this topic racist? You remind me of those gay AIDS activists who lied about the dangers of AIDS among heteros in the U.S. for so many years, covering up their lies with accusations of homophobia.

What are YOU hiding?

From everything I've seen, anal sex "is widespread" on every continent*, among humans of all races & sexual orientations.

* Antartica possibly excepted -- but only possibly! [/B][/QUOTE]
Old 12-06-2003, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Guinastasia
Answer to the OP:
Well, I HOPE not, because it doesn't work!

Sure it does. Reminds me of an offensive joke about Greeks. The punchline is: "But Sweetheat you have to turn around. Don't you want to have kids?"
Old 12-06-2003, 06:58 PM
Well, I guess you're right, Biggirl. I'm just saying that there's always the possibility of dripping and the like.

In other words-still use a condom.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Evil Captor

What explanation do YOU have for the much more rapid and extensive spread of the AIDS virus among heterosexual Africans than among heteros in other parts of the world?
Can "chance" ever explain anything? Viruses don't add, they multiply (i.e., they doesn't spread one at a time from one person to another). All it takes is a minority of highly infected promiscuos people to make an epidemic. And if by chance those promiscuos people never catch it, it doesn't spread well.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Seems to me you're trying to raise a boogey-man to frighten folks out of honest discussion of this topic. What explanation do YOU have for the much more rapid and extensive spread of the AIDS virus among heterosexual Africans than among heteros in other parts of the world? Or is stating that the AIDS virus has devastated African heteros to a much greater extent than among heteros in the U.S.-- including black heteros in the U.S., if you exclude IV drug users and gays and their lovers -- also verging on racism?
The point was, I think, not to flame you, but to ask for factual/statistical backing of the assertions being made here. You responded to this request by restating the assertions and pointing to them as evidence of themselves (the way I see it, anyway). I don't think he was saying it's wrong to think or say that heterosexual Africans are a high-risk population--I think he was saying it's wrong to believe and assert this without backing it up with facts.

Regarding the OP, seems like a faulty birth control method. Surgery works, pills work, condoms work--and condoms supposedly (I don't have any info to support this, so I'm not stating it as fact) can help you (or your partner, whichever) last longer because the condom-wearer doesn't "feel" as much. Seems to be a nice side effect--I'd rather feel a little less and know not only that my partner will not be pregnant but also that she will probably enjoy the act more.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:54 PM
Seems I didn't quite go into the OP much at all. Sorry.

Anyway, I just realized how great this is:
"Is Anal Intercourse a Popular Means of Birth Control Anywhere? Last post by fetus."

Hyuk hyuk hyuk!
Old 12-06-2003, 10:22 PM
Charter Member
i can't believe that I am the 32nd person in this thread and the first to mention the technical virgin website.
Make sure you watch the TV ads.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:40 AM
If I still had to worry about birth control (I'm spayed, thank goodness) and anal sex was the only reliable alternative, short of abstinence, to prevent unwanted pregnancy, I'd become a Born Again Virgin. My "exit ramp" is just that. Exit only!
Old 12-07-2003, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by fetus
The point was, I think, not to flame you, but to ask for factual/statistical backing of the assertions being made here. You responded to this request by restating the assertions and pointing to them as evidence of themselves (the way I see it, anyway).
That's not the way I see it. His post implied that I was buying into the notion that there was a lot of anal intercourse going on in Africa out of some kind of racist imperative. Sorry, won't wash. My response was to admit there was no evidence that I knew of to support that point. I did point out that there has to be SOME kind of explanation for the disparity with which AIDS has affected hetero Americans vs. hetero Africans. But that's not really what you are claiming I said, is it?b I mean, are you disputing the notion that AIDs has affected African heteros to a much greater extent than American heteros? If you realy think you need evidence on a point that I thought everyone is in agreement with, I can dish up a couple of cites for ya.

I don't think he was saying it's wrong to think or say that heterosexual Africans are a high-risk population--I think he was saying it's wrong to believe and assert this without backing it up with facts.

You want a cite, try this one about the prevalence of AIDs in Africa:

http://cnn.com/SPECIALS/2000/aids/stories/overview/

Here's a few choice numbers from the story[list=1][*]5.4 million new AIDS infections in 1999, 4 million of them in Africa. [*]2.8 million dead of AIDS in 1999, 85 percent of them in Africa. [*]13.2 million children orphaned by AIDS, 12.1 million of them in sub-Saharan Africa. [*]Reduced life expectancy in sub-Saharan Africa from 59 years to 45 between 2005 and 2010, and in Zimbabwe from 61 to 33. [/list=1]

Here's data about AIDS in the U.S. among heteros:

http://cdc.gov/hiv/stats.htm

Do yerself a thought experiment. Check out the chart for causes of AIDs among cases in the U.S. Note that 135,000 cases total are given for heterosexual contact. But you don't see a listing for how many of those heterosexual cases are from heterosexuals sleeping with intravenous drug users and bisexuals. Bet that would be a CONSIDERABLE portion of those 135,000 cases, if they bothered to report it, eh?

Here's an editorial from Duke University that makes a couple of good points about the lies that have accompanied AIDS debates:

What have AIDS activists been so wrong about? Well, let's put it this way: If you had told me 10 years ago, when practically all AIDS victims were men who had sex with other men or were intravenous drug users who shared needles, that as a sophomore in college I would have never known an AIDS victim, I would have been quite confused. Secretary of Health and Human Services Otis Bowen had said in 1985 that AIDS could make the Black Death "seem pale by comparison." U.S. News & World Report declared that "the disease of them is suddenly the disease of us." And Oprah Winfrey made the ridiculous statement in 1987 that 1 out of 5 heterosexuals would likely be dead from AIDS by 1990.

It is now 2003, however, and AIDS has still failed to become a major health problem in America. Now, by making this statement, I in no way mean to undermine the severity of AIDS, which is a terrible disease that absolutely no one should have to suffer through. If the government had an unlimited amount of money, I would support much more than $16 billion in funding to combat it. But unfortunately, the government must prioritize. And it is prioritizing incorrectly.

In the last 20 years, about 30 times more Americans have died from heart disease than AIDS. About 20 times more have died from cancer. Yet when it comes time to write the budget, the government treats AIDS as a catastrophic problem and spends about $18,000 per victim fighting it.

What makes this even less appropriate is the fact that AIDS is much easier to prevent than more deadly diseases like cancer. Statistics show that a vast majority of those infected with AIDS are men who have sex with other men, individuals who use intravenous drugs and people who have sex with bisexuals or intravenous drug users. Such statistics are admittedly misleading since AIDS takes years to develop, meaning that those most recently affected have only HIV, which does not have to be reported in most states. But even to this day, it can be said that individuals who do not have homosexual sex and do not inject drugs or have sex with individuals who do have a far greater chance of dying from prescription drugs that are properly prescribed and correctly taken than AIDS.

Quote:
What have AIDS activists been so wrong about? Well, let's put it this way: If you had told me 10 years ago, when practically all AIDS victims were men who had sex with other men or were intravenous drug users who shared needles, that as a sophomore in college I would have never known an AIDS victim, I would have been quite confused. Secretary of Health and Human Services Otis Bowen had said in 1985 that AIDS could make the Black Death "seem pale by comparison." U.S. News & World Report declared that "the disease of them is suddenly the disease of us." And Oprah Winfrey made the ridiculous statement in 1987 that 1 out of 5 heterosexuals would likely be dead from AIDS by 1990.

It is now 2003, however, and AIDS has still failed to become a major health problem in America. Now, by making this statement, I in no way mean to undermine the severity of AIDS, which is a terrible disease that absolutely no one should have to suffer through. If the government had an unlimited amount of money, I would support much more than $16 billion in funding to combat it. But unfortunately, the government must prioritize. And it is prioritizing incorrectly.

In the last 20 years, about 30 times more Americans have died from heart disease than AIDS. About 20 times more have died from cancer. Yet when it comes time to write the budget, the government treats AIDS as a catastrophic problem and spends about $18,000 per victim fighting it.

What makes this even less appropriate is the fact that AIDS is much easier to prevent than more deadly diseases like cancer. Statistics show that a vast majority of those infected with AIDS are men who have sex with other men, individuals who use intravenous drugs and people who have sex with bisexuals or intravenous drug users. Such statistics are admittedly misleading since AIDS takes years to develop, meaning that those most recently affected have only HIV, which does not have to be reported in most states. But even to this day, it can be said that individuals who do not have homosexual sex and do not inject drugs or have sex with individuals who do have a far greater chance of dying from prescription drugs that are properly prescribed and correctly taken than AIDS.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:53 PM
As to the disparity in funding between AIDS, on the one hand, and cancer and heart disease, OTOH, is the fact that AIDS strikes down the most productive members of society at a time of their lives when they would be most productive to society, thus there is a greater return on investment (if health care can ever be likened to a financial investment, and I hate doing it, but for the sake of argument) in financing AIDS research than cancer/heart disease, both of which, in comparison with AIDS, strike members of society more often when they are more elderly and less productive to society, after accumulated abuses like smoking, drinking and other carcinogenic behaviors.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:54 PM
... have taken their toll and created health problems in not only those who have engaged in those behaviors, but frequently in members of their immediate family, especially through second-hand smoke.
Old 12-07-2003, 03:19 PM
Well, if we are going to get down to behaviors and worth to society and so forth as points in deciding who gets health care, I believe you will find a large contingent of people arguing against treatment for AIDS sufferers on those grounds as well.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Well, if we are going to get down to behaviors and worth to society and so forth as points in deciding who gets health care, I believe you will find a large contingent of people arguing against treatment for AIDS sufferers on those grounds as well.
But their arguments, whatever they may be, will simply have to be of less merit than mine outlined above. However, if you'd like to play devil's advocate, please flesh out the arguments of that "large contingent."

Are you suggesting that health care policy, financing and research should be driven by some kind of measure of the popularity of a given disease's/illness's victims?
Old 12-07-2003, 04:43 PM
Quote:

You want a cite, try this one about the prevalence of AIDs in Africa:

(snip)

Here's data about AIDS in the U.S. among heteros:

(snip)
Good enough for me.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:53 PM
It's weird that in your entire post, complete with cites and outside opinions, you've still no closer to tieing AIDS in to the topic, EC.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nisosbar
But their arguments, whatever they may be, will simply have to be of less merit than mine outlined above. However, if you'd like to play devil's advocate, please flesh out the arguments of that "large contingent."

Are you suggesting that health care policy, financing and research should be driven by some kind of measure of the popularity of a given disease's/illness's victims?
No, I was kinda pointing out that your criteria -- "let's ditch the old people, they're not all that productive anyway" -- tends to run along those lines. I don't respect that viewpoint any more than I respect the notion that "AIDS shouldn't be treated because IV drug users are a bunch of useless junkies and gays are all immoral scum."

You DO see the fundamental underlying similarity between these two arguments, don't you?
Old 12-07-2003, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Fred
It's weird that in your entire post, complete with cites and outside opinions, you've still no closer to tieing AIDS in to the topic, EC.
You're right, the topic has drifted, but I'm not really the one responsible for that. I get the impression that no one has been able to cite any large contingent of people who use anal sex as a substitute for birth control. Where's Margaret Mead when you need her?
Old 12-07-2003, 10:29 PM
Quote:
No, I was kinda pointing out that your criteria -- "let's ditch the old people, they're not all that productive anyway" -- tends to run along those lines. I don't respect that viewpoint any more than I respect the notion that "AIDS shouldn't be treated because IV drug users are a bunch of useless junkies and gays are all immoral scum."

You DO see the fundamental underlying similarity between these two arguments, don't you?
Okay, yes, I do. I was originally responding not so much to YOU, but to the author of the passage which you quoted.

He was trying to suggest that as bad as AIDS is, it doesn't deserve the priority the government gives it in relation to cancer or heart disease. I was trying to suggest that, if you want to be cold and hard, the cold, hard facts certainly support the current "prioritization scheme."

But please note that I took exception to the whole thing with making lists of illnesses/prioritizing government resources. That's not my job, and I wouldn't want to do that, nor would I suggest that's a wise approach to public health care. Are there limits? Of course. But AIDS is certainly at the top of the list for a lot of very good reasons.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:20 PM
nisosbar: Let me introduce you to the fabulous late 20th century invention known as the "Search Engine": when you type a set of keywords into the text box near the top of the screen and press the 'Search' button, it automagically compares those keywords to the content of billions of online documents and returns an ordered list of relevant citations along with a brief abstract of each. Imagine the possibilities: in less time than it takes to post a follow-up to "Anybody know: do sub-Saharan Africans have more anal intercourse than Westerners?", you could already know the answer! Try it!
Quote:
Originally posted by Evil Captor:
I get the impression that no one has been able to cite any large contingent of people who use anal sex as a substitute for birth control.
Astonishing, isn't it? Anal sex is at least as widely practiced as fellatio, NASCAR and migraine headaches as an effective means of family planning, yet one would be equally hard-pressed to substantiate the popularity of those contraceptive methodologies also.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by KoalaBear
nisosbar: Let me introduce you to the fabulous late 20th century invention known as ... [blah, blah, blah]
The Academic Pursuits Message Board's stated mission is to "Fight Ignorance." To the extent that a thread can bring light to topics about which SDMBer's remain ignorant (and anal sex is an enjoyable activity about which too many people generally remain ignorant), I am doing a GREAT job doing my little "bit" as a member here.

When was the last time YOU started an ignorance-dispelling thread, KoalaBear (and not a topic about kiteflying or stamp-collecting)??
Old 12-13-2003, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Astonishing, isn't it? Anal sex is at least as widely practiced as fellatio, NASCAR and migraine headaches as an effective means of family planning...
Migraines as a means of birth control! Hilarious...
Old 12-13-2003, 07:37 PM
Quote:
The Academic Pursuits Message Board's stated mission is to "Fight Ignorance."
Really? I did as text search for that phrase on ATMB and found no such "mission statement" to exist. I tend to believe people chant "fighting ignorance" as their mantra because it sounds noble and altruistic in a way that "celebrating narcissism" does not.
Quote:
To the extent that [...] anal sex is an enjoyable activity about which too many people generally remain ignorant[], I am doing a GREAT job doing my little "bit" as a member here.
You hope to eradicate ignorance by perpetuating it?

The underlying misconception is that anal sex is a cause of AIDS and not merely a vector of transmission. This was "proven" by such "facts" as the assertion that African heterosexuals engage in anal sex more than Western heterosexuals do, ergo, the disease is pandemic on that continent but epidemic only among the homosexual population of others.

That's a shockingly stupid hypothesis rooted partially in puritan notions of sexual morality (anal sex is "riskier" than vaginal sex because it's stigmatized, not because the data supports that conclusion) and partially in explicit racial bias (anal sex is "cultural" among dark-skinned people of any sexual orientation, dontcha know).
Quote:
When was the last time YOU started an ignorance-dispelling thread, KoalaBear (and not a topic about kiteflying or stamp-collecting)??
I think we perceive our purposes for being here differently. I speak when I've got something to say; I don't believe it's possible to rescue people from their own stupidity, so I wouldn't pretend to try.
Quote:
Migraines as a means of birth control! Hilarious...
Exactly. Almost as hilarious as the suggestion that anal sex is a popular method of contraception in regions of the world where the fertility rate exceeds 6 births per mother, and based on the same scientific evidence as well.
Old 12-13-2003, 08:13 PM
1) Prevalence of AIDS in African men is higher in those who are uncircumcised. The inside of the foreskin lacks the dermis that the rest of the penis enjoys--it's basicaly an open door for HIV and others. Cut the sucker off and then you have to get a bit more vigorous in your activity to get the virus inside Mr. Happy. I know this is true, because I saw it on TV.

2) The suggestion of anal sex to my wife at all would be a very effective form of birth control.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Really?
Yes, really. From The Straight Dope Front Page:

Quote:
FIGHTING IGNORANCE SINCE 1973 (IT'S TAKING LONGER THAN WE THOUGHT)
Quote:
Exactly. Almost as hilarious as the suggestion that anal sex is a popular method of contraception in regions of the world where the fertility rate exceeds 6 births per mother, and based on the same scientific evidence as well.
Except that migraines leave at least one party sexually frustrated.

At least anal intercourse provides a mostly satisfactory (and some would say, preferable) ejaculatory alternative to vaginal intercourse, eliminating much of the risk of impregnation.