Old 01-10-2004, 09:17 PM
BANNED
Celestial brides?

I recall hearing this term used in a book or film to refer to an Asian woman who had taken as her husband a western man. Anyone privy to its etiology? I assume it is anachronistic and I can't find anything with search engines except ads for bridal boutiques. What does celestial have to do with eastern women?
Old 01-10-2004, 10:44 PM
I think this could be related to "Celestial Empire", one of the old terms for China. A celestial bride is usually a divinity or something like a divinity, married to a shaman or one of faith, in terms of religion.

Acording to this page, the term "celestial bride" is used in a derogatory sense aimed at the Westen men, looked down on because:
Quote:
So just think, there ARE western men who aren't out there to take home a celestial bride, and frankly, I think that most of the ones that do only do it cause they can't get a girl in their own country and have to rely on their 'western' status to hook it up.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:21 PM
BANNED
I believe you're correct about some relation to China, I broke down and got out my trusty Webster's, no entry for "celestial bride" but there is one for "celestial empire" as an old geographical name for the Chinese empire.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off