Old 01-14-2004, 12:31 PM
USPS question: difference in media mail vs first class

On the topic of sending a package media mail vs first class

A couple questions:

1. Are these shipped/handled in a different manner? I know that USPS says that media mail will generally take longer but this has not been my experience in the few times that I have used it.

2. Does the USPS actually check the contents of these packages? I know that their main rule seems to be that Commercial content is not allowed to be sent via media mail ... but it seems that anything could be packaged up and marked with media mail. Do they open these boxes to check? Do they X-Ray them?

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:02 PM
I worked for the USPS for 3 months. Media mail is the stuff they throw under the tires when the mail truck gets stuck in the mud caused by rain, snow, sleet, or hail...
Old 01-14-2004, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthbreather
On the topic of sending a package media mail vs first class

A couple questions:

1. Are these shipped/handled in a different manner? I know that USPS says that media mail will generally take longer but this has not been my experience in the few times that I have used it.

2. Does the USPS actually check the contents of these packages? I know that their main rule seems to be that Commercial content is not allowed to be sent via media mail ... but it seems that anything could be packaged up and marked with media mail. Do they open these boxes to check? Do they X-Ray them?

Thanks.

I once shipped several boxes from Detroit to Honolulu, and tried to get the media mail price for all of it. A couple of findings:

a. I don't know about how they actually handle the stuff, but it takes a lot longer to get there, and the packages were pretty beaten up.

b. They absolutely check it. At the time they spot checked it. So when I got to the post office, several boxes had been opened and retaped with an announcement of the inspection. I had to pay the full fare for the non-complying boxes, even though they were later because they had been treated as media mail.

Hope this was helpful.
Old 01-14-2004, 03:37 PM
1. Definitely, yes. Don't be surprised if media mail takes up to a month to get to where it's going. This has happened to me.

2. Gfactor says yes, they do check, but I have in the past received items through media mail that were not media. So, they probably don't check everything.

If you're wanting to send something in the mail, I'd recommend first class.