Old 01-17-2004, 02:33 AM
Can I make the infinity symbol with the alt key?

With the alt key, one can add an accent to an e (; alt+130) or produce various other symbols. Is there a button combination for the infinity symbol? Thanks.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderdude2
With the alt key, one can add an accent to an e (; alt+130) or produce various other symbols. Is there a button combination for the infinity symbol? Thanks.
In HTML code, either ∞ or &# 8734; will produce that symbol ( ∞ ).

But I don't think it can be done with the Windows Alt- key combinations -- it it not in the basic 8859 character set that Windows uses.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:19 AM
Mod Rocker
The Unicode value is U+221E, but, as t-bonham says, I don't think that there is a standard ASCII value for ∞.

(If you are using a Windows application, you can find it on the character map down near the bottom among the currency and math symbols, from which you can Select/Copy/Paste it.)
Old 01-17-2004, 12:27 PM
Try ALT + 236
You'll get
There's a pretty extensive list of these at one of my webpages:
1728.com/altchar.htm
Old 01-17-2004, 12:42 PM
Charter Member
Under Win98 and Word 2000 Alt + 236 gives me an underline. Same in Wordpad.

The following happens here in IE6 when I hit that key combination: _
Old 01-17-2004, 12:45 PM
Seems the font makes a difference.
Here it is in Courier New font.
Old 01-17-2004, 12:55 PM
Expano
I made that post before I read your posting.
Whatever the default font for this Message Board is, I get when I type ALT 236. Seems a little lopsided doesn't it ? (That is, the right side seems wider than the left side. Same thing happened in my original post).
Old 01-17-2004, 01:40 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_meister
Expano
I made that post before I read your posting.
Whatever the default font for this Message Board is, I get when I type ALT 236. Seems a little lopsided doesn't it ? (That is, the right side seems wider than the left side. Same thing happened in my original post).
I checked. My IE default font for plain text is Courier New. Setting Word 2000 to a font of Courier New still gives me an underline.

And I see both sides of the infinity symbol as exactly alike.

What OS/browser/format/etc. are you posting/viewing in?
Old 01-17-2004, 02:23 PM
I'm using Windows 2000 and IE6 which is what you are using. Sheesh. You'd think by now there'd be some sort of standardization with these dadburned ornery computin' machines. And just to add to all this confusion, you may have noticed that my site hasn't been working for the past 2 hours.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:20 PM
Charter Member
Not quite. I'm using Word 2000 but Windows 98. That could be the difference. Though I can't imagine why.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
In HTML code, either ∞ or ∞ will produce that symbol ( ∞ ).

But I don't think it can be done with the Windows Alt- key combinations -- it it not in the basic 8859 character set that Windows uses.
Old 01-17-2004, 07:30 PM
ALT-2600 doesn't seem to work