Old 02-23-2004, 05:41 PM
Verizon Wireless lets incoming callers know I'm on phone!

Does anyone out there have a Verizon cell phone? When someone calls you and you are on the phone, there is a little telltale beep the end of each ring that the caller hears. This let's the caller know that you are not away from your phone, but that in fact you are on the phone and can see his/her number on the call waiting display. What the f*&*? Why can't I not pick up my call waiting in peace? Once the caller hears this beep, I can no longer credibly say that I didn't get his message until several hours or a day later! The last thing I need is an unwanted caller (whether it be a business or an annoying friend) getting pissed at me because I didn't return his call or pick up the call waiting. Aren't I the Verizon customer? Shouldn't it be my privacy that is important to them? Why do they do this???? Is there a way I can stop it? Thank you in advance!

(P.S. When I call Verizon, the pretend that they have no idea what I am talking about!!)
Old 02-23-2004, 06:23 PM
It's the same on Cingular. I believe it's quite common.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrison
Does anyone out there have a Verizon cell phone? When someone calls you and you are on the phone, there is a little telltale beep the end of each ring that the caller hears. This let's the caller know that you are not away from your phone, but that in fact you are on the phone and can see his/her number on the call waiting display. What the f*&*? Why can't I not pick up my call waiting in peace? Once the caller hears this beep, I can no longer credibly say that I didn't get his message until several hours or a day later! The last thing I need is an unwanted caller (whether it be a business or an annoying friend) getting pissed at me because I didn't return his call or pick up the call waiting. Aren't I the Verizon customer? Shouldn't it be my privacy that is important to them? Why do they do this???? Is there a way I can stop it? Thank you in advance!

(P.S. When I call Verizon, the pretend that they have no idea what I am talking about!!)
I have a Verizon cell phone, and I have no idea what you are talking about. When I'm on my cell phone, an incoming caller doesn't hear a ring but goes directly to my voice mail.

At least that's what it did a few minutes ago when I tried it.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:36 PM
D'uh.... maybe I should explain what the beep is. You apparently have call waiting. That's why it beeps. If you have Verison turn off your call waiting, the beep should stop also. It will go right over to your voice-mail.

Sorry for my previous post, I hadn't thought about it fully and have had call waiting on all my cell phones for the past 5 years or so.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:02 PM
When I was a kid, we had something called a "busy signal"...

...AND WE LIKED IT!
Old 02-23-2004, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who_me?
D'uh.... maybe I should explain what the beep is. You apparently have call waiting. That's why it beeps. If you have Verison turn off your call waiting, the beep should stop also. It will go right over to your voice-mail.

Sorry for my previous post, I hadn't thought about it fully and have had call waiting on all my cell phones for the past 5 years or so.

No, it is not call waiting!!! It is a tone at the end of the ring that the CALLER hears. Does anyone out there use verizon as their cell phone provider? (i) Call your friend using your cell phone. (ii) Then, while connected to your friend, call your cell phone from your land line and let it ring. (iii) Listen to the ring from your land line - at the end of each "brrrrrr" you will hear a short tone. That means that your cell phone is in use!

Try it, then try to explain why this is??!?!?!?!
Old 02-23-2004, 07:45 PM
Can't explain it, but I just tried it. Using my Verizon cell phone, I checked my voice messages. Then, while the cell was busy, I used my home phone to call the cell.

Ring and a beep, just like described.

huh
Old 02-23-2004, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrison
No, it is not call waiting!!! It is a tone at the end of the ring that the CALLER hears. Does anyone out there use verizon as their cell phone provider? (i) Call your friend using your cell phone. (ii) Then, while connected to your friend, call your cell phone from your land line and let it ring. (iii) Listen to the ring from your land line - at the end of each "brrrrrr" you will hear a short tone. That means that your cell phone is in use!

Try it, then try to explain why this is??!?!?!?!
Yes... it is call waiting. It's what the caller hears. It's the same on Cingular.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:32 PM
FWIW (probably nothing), in a telecom company I used to work for it was called "knocking".
Old 02-23-2004, 08:52 PM
I've been searching the net for a cite. I get a lot from college phone systems, but nothing on cell phones. It appears to be officially called " The call waiting ringback tone". On the college phone systems, it says that it tells the caller that the receiving party was sent the call waiting tone. Maybe you can ask Verison whether they use a system like that.

Sorry I can't be more help.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:11 PM
I had MCI cell phone service a few years ago and I also suffered through the "tell-tale" beep/ring. I now have Sprint and I'm happy to report...no beep.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:07 AM
I remember that...from when I was in college! Hmmmm....
Old 02-24-2004, 01:18 AM
Same thing happens here, but I'm not too worried about it. I can just say I was in the middle of an important call and couldn't interrupt it to check my call waiting.

The bigger problem, IMO, is that when you ignore a call by pushing END instead of answering (while you're not in another call), the caller goes to voice mail immediately instead of waiting the normal 30 seconds. That way, they know you're near your phone, saw them calling, and chose to ignore them. Luckily, my phone just silences the ringer when I push END once, and doesn't actually ignore the call unless I push it twice.