Old 03-08-2004, 08:11 PM
Standard tuning for a 5 string bass

I just bought a 5 string bass and was about to tune it to EADGC, but I really don't know what I am doing so I thought I would ask first. I have read that most tune it to BEADG, which is what I have it at now, but I would like to know if it would hurt the guitar over time if I tuned it to EADGC? Could it warp the neck?
Advertisements
Old 03-08-2004, 08:30 PM
I always tuned mine to BEADG, mostly because I liked the sound the low B-string made, and it simply never occurred to me to try raising it up a fourth. It really depends on the sizes of the strings you have, but most 5-string sets are intended for tuning beginning at the low B. If you want EADGC, buy a 6-string set and just don't use the B-string. That could get expensive, however.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:58 PM
You're going to waste a perfectly good string on a C!?!?

Remember, you're playing a BASS, not a guitar.

I think basses/guitars are tolerant of different tensions. If you are still worried, get lighter guage strings, which won't be as tense to get the same notes.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump